• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, the first episode was really, really good. I see this as my new AOTY contender.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Thors became my favorite character in the first 3 episodes and he already has more than 10 death flags :(

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first episode, I wonder how long until we get a time skip.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
First episode is everything I wanted from this adaptation. Just, ugh, so beautiful.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched all three eps. Looks good so far, maybe a bit slow.

Getting a bit of a different vibe that I'll discuss in the manga thread. Also, is the "sk" in Askeladd really pronounced with an "sh" sound? The more you know.

Ya'll enjoy yourselves.

EDIT: Shit, there's no manga thread. Should I make one or would be okay if we discuss manga stuff here with tagged spoilers? Don't want it to end up like the Attack on Titan thread.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
I imagine there's a lot of interest in both of those properties behind the scenes; there's been a huge resurgence in seinen anime adaptations recently. With Dorohedoro, Pluto and Vinland Saga all finally getting anime adaptations—and Blade of the Immortal and Akira getting reboots—I'd say nothing's off the table.
I hope, i want them to straight up stop the Berserk one now. Call it a wash and start over its so god damn terrible. Adopt a stylr for it like Vinland Saga and the mature content writes itself. Stop doing this weird 3d crap.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Watched all three eps. Looks good so far, maybe a bit slow.

Getting a bit of a different vibe that I'll discuss in the manga thread. Also, is the "sk" in Askeladd really pronounced with an "sh" sound? The more you know.

Ya'll enjoy yourselves.

EDIT: Shit, there's no manga thread. Should I make one or would be okay if we discuss manga stuff here with tagged spoilers? Don't want it to end up like the Attack on Titan thread.
I just started the manga literally yesterday so I wouldnt mind its own thread generally as i watch and read both

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I honestly don't think there are enough manga readers on Era to make a VS manga OT worthwhile, I would suggest talking about it on the general manga OT, because I'd rather avoid any kind of spoiler here, just in case

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really good.

I went into it expecting a dumb, edgy action show about Vikings murdering the hell out of each other

Instead, I got
A slow, low-key story about a man raising a family, trying to escape his war-filled past and having to face the fact that the latter is impossible. I'm not sure if this aversion to action and mindless killing will continue but the first three episodes were great.
The direction and the visuals are also really good, and much better than I expected.

Last edited:

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Manga is amazing so I can't wait for this. Sure to attract a few fans who are looking for a berserk fix

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Oh crap I thought this was next week or something.

Anyway, I actually did google some of the characters and the history spoilers are indeed pretty significant.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Just a question because i cant make threads, can someone suggest a realistic manga in a sense with the darkness and maturity of berserk but with the Yakuza and or even guns so somewhat modern. I love the ones I am reading but also wouldnt mind something modern with modern tech compared to swords and stuff as well

Oct 26, 2017
Just a question because i cant make threads, can someone suggest a realistic manga in a sense with the darkness and maturity of berserk but with the Yakuza and or even guns so somewhat modern. I love the ones I am reading but also wouldnt mind something modern with modern tech compared to swords and stuff as well

Sanctuary for yakuza, Eden for 'guns'.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Good 3 episodes, a bit slow but great production values.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Glad the production values are so high, It's been ages since I've read the earlier chapters so it's gonna be nice to refresh myself on the story.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I finally finished the three episodes.
I like that they perfectly got the tone VS should have, not putting too much emphasis on the action scenes. Overall, I don't think I could have expected a better adaptation. VS is a masterpiece, and the anime made me realise it even more.
I still think starting with chapter 1 would have been a better move (with those three episodes, they adapted chapter 3 to chapter 11), but we'll see how it goes with anime-only watchers.

Deleted member 6026

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sanctuary for yakuza, Eden for 'guns'.

To be clear, you mean Eden: It's an Endless World, correct? Don't want them picking up the wrong "Eden."

But yeah, Sanctuary and Eden are both worth a read... though I wouldn't necessarily call Eden "realistic." It's grounded, kind of, but it gets pretty out there.

As for Vinland Saga, I couldn't be happier with this adaptation so far. It's everything I wanted and more. Finally seeing some of the later events animated—and with these production values—is going to be incredible.

Edit: Hmm, on second thought, I should probably avoid talking about the manga altogether.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smh no one ever ask for a real Blade of the Immortal anime. Anotsu is one of the GOAT villains

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
This is really good.

I went into it expecting a dumb, edgy action show about Vikings murdering the hell out of each other

Instead, I got
A slow, low-key story about a man raising a family, trying to escape his war-filled past and having to face the fact that the latter is impossible. I'm not sure if this aversion to action and mindless killing will continue but the first three episodes were great.
The direction and the visuals are also really good, and much better than I expected.

The mangaka wrote Planetes. So if you're familiar with that, then you have some idea of the style of storytelling.

Last edited:

Oct 29, 2017
Not much of an anime guy, but this seemed interesting, so I watched the three episodes available. Loving it so far!

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Waaaaah, I am dumb fucking kid. Weeee lets go to war so I can be big and strong! URGGGG hero dad dies! oh no, "remember son... war is bad... now I'm dead uggg" .. ARAGAGHAHGH I'm an edgy dual wielding dagger edgelord rawwwwr, REVENNNNNGGGE

It's good, I cant wait for the next eps later this month

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great first three episodes. Animation, voice acting, and music are great. Really happy with how this turned out.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Dam that was pretty good, I feel dumb for watching now though with it on break until the end of the month

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is this anime going to use history to spoil Vikings season 6? I dont know how Lagertha is going to die.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
When does the show Vikings take place? The Vinland Saga manga, in its latest chapters, I think is at like the year 1019 or something.
I am unsure of the timeline of Vikings, but it does occur at the time of King Harald. I started Ep1 of Vinland Saga. It spoils what happens with King Harald in a flashback sequence.