• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Watched all three eps. Looks good so far, maybe a bit slow.

Getting a bit of a different vibe that I'll discuss in the manga thread. Also, is the "sk" in Askeladd really pronounced with an "sh" sound? The more you know.

Ya'll enjoy yourselves.

EDIT: Shit, there's no manga thread. Should I make one or would be okay if we discuss manga stuff here with tagged spoilers? Don't want it to end up like the Attack on Titan thread.

I think I get what you mean, I read some manga chapters after the 3 episodes and the manga seems a little lighter perhaps? a lot more funny faces and expressions compared to the more serious tone of the anime so far.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I get what you mean, I read some manga chapters after the 3 episodes and the manga seems a little lighter perhaps? a lot more funny faces and expressions compared to the more serious tone of the anime so far.
Not quite what I meant. At any rate, I made a manga thread so we can discuss spoilers there.

BossGuts

Oct 28, 2017
As a fan of the Manga, I'm so happy that the adaptation is nailing it so far. I'm not sure if I like starting from the young Thorfinn stuff right of the bat but I get it.

Askeladd's Seyiuu is real good. Basically how I imagined him to be when reading. Thorkell is gonna take some getting used too, I'd imagine a bit more unhinged but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
This anime delivered and more. I was recommended the manga but never got around to it but this is just so good so far.

I can already see the death flags so the wait for next episodes is going to be painful to see if the father will survive or not.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a slow start but I'm impressed with the production values. Looks like it could be great.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
This anime delivered and more. I was recommended the manga but never got around to it but this is just so good so far.

I can already see the death flags so the wait for next episodes is going to be painful to see if the father will survive or not.
Presuming everyone watching has Prime, you can also read V1 of the manga as a free borrow.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watched the first ep . I like everything except for character animations . Like in normal scenes characters look stiff and does not have that fluidity and motion that I associate with high profile studios /shows . And when it goes into action scenes the cgi is distracting and framey and they use it too much .
Other than that , i like everything. Funny thing is, when i was reading manga years ago, when Thorkell showed up i had same VA in my head as it is in anime , hahah.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yo what
Why are they doing the flashback first?! DO THE BADASS VIKING SHIP SCENE!!!!!! SET UP THE BADASSARY THEN SHOW US HOW BADASS HIS DAD WAS

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the first three episodes, even though it's definitely much slower than I was expecting after that opening.

Animation is on point and the main reason I'll be coming back, hopefully it picks up really soon.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Watched the first episode for the lulz, so can I assume the Manga is just very loosely "based" on the Greenland saga?
Thorfinn is Thorfinn, but since there aren't much historical records of his childhood/teenage years, most of what we see about him is fictional. But it's different for other characters or events, such as the one told in the first episode about King Harald
At one point, this changes and we start to follow slightly more the real Thorfinn's life (Edit: not something this season of the anime will cover btw). But afaik even in the manga, we haven't reached yet the stuff told in the sagas... It will come though, we just gotta wait

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the first three episodes, even though it's definitely much slower than I was expecting after that opening.

Animation is on point and the main reason I'll be coming back, hopefully it picks up really soon.

Yeah, the manga actually starts with a battle scene that takes place after this. What the anime decided to start with is actually a flashback.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Is this still true? This can kill the momentum of the show
It's still true. But there doesn't seem to be much momentum to kill, at least sales wise. Not a single older volume has made its way into the daily top 500 (volume 22 came out recently so there is that). And if you are worried about how much the show is discussed, the fact that it ended with a cliffhanger will help. And with 24 episodes, a break at the beginning won't be as harmful as it would be for a 12 episode show.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Slow Start but i am already extremely intrested in the world and the charcters. I can see how it would not be for everyone as it doesn't include a lot of action in these first episodes but the charcter and world building is enough to become really invested

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Please tell us more about how there are no such things as "history spoilers".
But if your argument is "Well, this is history we are talking about, you can't spoil it, it has already happened" then you would be wrong. See my post earlier:

Someone who knows about those sources could spoil to an anime-only which character dies, who wins which battles, etc. This is no different to regular manga spoilers.

Don't "Christ all fucking mighty" me, the second sentence of Thorfinn's wikipedia page spoils the end of the manga, we are talking about major stuff that is not common knowledge
I am pretty certain Vinland the manga isn't finished yet and the manga's event differ from the real life story of Thorfinn

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I am pretty certain Vinland the manga isn't finished yet and the manga's event differ from the real life story of Thorfinn
But here's the thing, the manga isn't finished yet. While most of it is fictional, it has some historical background, even for Thorfinn. So we just can't know whether the manga will follow the historical sources or not. Therefore, it's better to be careful and not say anything about what's told in the sagas, just in case.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
But here's the thing, the manga isn't finished yet. While most of it is fictional, it has some historical background, even for Thorfinn. So we just can't know whether the manga will follow the historical sources or not. Therefore, it's better to be careful and not say anything about what's told in the sagas, just in case.
True...also while i didn't watch it there, GoGoAnime literally spoils a key plot point of the anime

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
True...also while i didn't watch it there, GoGoAnime literally spoils a key plot point of the anime
Yep, MAL uses the same synopsis. I think that's the one on the first volume back cover ? (I'm not sure as I've got the French one, which also spoils the anime). I had the same issue in the OT, but I deleted as soon as I realised episode 1 did not adapt chapter 1

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1

I thought I was watching TV live action drama. Only thing reminded me that I was watching anime was that intro music....

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 1

I thought I was watching TV live action drama. Only thing reminded me that I was watching anime was that intro music....
I was thinking similarly until one of the characters is able to jump 50 feet into the air.

Browsing on youtube, I found this video that tries to put Vinland Saga, Vikings, and Last Kingdom into a timeline. He avoids spoilers for all three series, but there are history spoilers.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The intro music? It feels out of place after hearing that credits song.
They could have went with something orchestra or similar to attack on titans

Overall after seeing episode 1 I'm sold on the anime. It has a mature vibe to it than shounen
Well that's because it's a Seinen series.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, the manga hasn't yet reached the point where Thorfinn enters the Greenlandic Saga timeline-wise, but it incorporates other history stuff from the same time period.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
damn just caught up to episode 3 and now I'm itching for episode 4 already.

It's been awhile since I'm eager to watch the next episode

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Did they ever say how many total episodes there will be. Will it have a seasonal type realease or just release as they go?

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Welp, was hoping episode 4 would air tonight, considering we had 3 episodes pumped out in one day. That's understandable it'll be postponed until 7/28

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watched all 3 episodes. I can tell I'm gonna love this and it's gonna be one I'm gonna be watching for years. You can tell a show is special, and this has got it all so far. Loving that WIT is on this, feels like I'm watching movie-quality anime in episodic fashion.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
24 episodes. I'm not sure what you mean by seasonal release. It's 1 episode per week.

His question was if we can expect a new season every year. I think that this is gonna be one of WITs new babies so if it gives everything a great boost and makes the rounds we can surely expect more.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this, just finished episode 2. Really amazing adaptation, they perfectly capture the tone of Makoto Yukimura's work.

Like, all those lingering shots with that really quiet and melancholy music is pitch perfect Vinland Saga/Planetes. This could've easily turned into a very actiony adaptation and I'm glad it didn't, the people working on it clearly understand what makes Vinland Saga so special.