• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greyvvolf

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finding a suitable shop-vac is not so easy in Europe though, they're not so common here as far as I can tell. I may of course be looking for completely the wrong thing though.
Sorry for the late reply. The end of the vacuum hose (?) fits into this 3D printed part. This part also has something on there to adjust the suction, so I would think a lot of different vacuums could be used. If you visit the website or even email the guy, he would probably let you know what vacuum hose would fit that part or maybe he can give you the dimensions. This is kind of hard to describe, but I can PM you a picture of what I am talking about later, if you want.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the late reply. The end of the vacuum hose (?) fits into this 3D printed part. This part also has something on there to adjust the suction, so I would think a lot of different vacuums could be used. If you visit the website or even email the guy, he would probably let you know what vacuum hose would fit that part or maybe he can give you the dimensions. This is kind of hard to describe, but I can PM you a picture of what I am talking about later, if you want.

It's cool, I appreciate the reply no matter when it is. I was in touch with him but I need to go fact finding in the local DIY/Home Store equivalents to do some research.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I had a weeks long trip in NY and came out with a pretty good haul

A way better assortment of house/disco/techno cuts then I find in SF, but the scene was just bigger out there.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Another total oblivious question: I've bought a few new records, and in their packaging, they're easy to display somewhere, but once opened, is doesn't stay neatly closed and doesn't really look as good just putting somewhere decoratively?

I won't open other ones until my record player arrives, but I opened my Mother 2 record, and it really expanded width wise.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's just the natural properties of the cardboard being used. It'll relax and flatten over time and while it's being sandwiched in a shelf of records.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
I've been collecting vinyl for a few years (here's my collection https://www.discogs.com/user/lee182jib/collection?sort=artist&sort_order=asc&limit=250) and i'm looking to get my first proper set-up over the next few weeks. This is what i've got in mind;

Project Primary Turntable
Edifier R1280T Speakers
A cheap phono preamp, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phono-pr...346676&hash=item3aebb6e1eb:g:kM0AAOSw14xWJPs7

Given that the speakers are active, is this everything i'll need to get up and running? I'll end up upgrading the amp further down the line, but for now I just want to get set up with a turntable and speakers that aren't terrible.

Dec 16, 2017
First post in this thread. Have been lurking for a little longer. Finally hooked up my turntable again. I've been to lazy to fix my stereo.

This is my haul from the last 4-5 weeks:
records6fber.jpg

Almost forgot how much better/more fun it is to listen to records through your stereo instead of listening to music through your notebok speakers...

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
My Metallica Black Album came from Discogs. They are a little warped, so I'll play through 'em and see if that affects it noticeably.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ever get some records in the mail and come to the realization that you own too many, but don't plan on stopping? That is my reality.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Ever get some records in the mail and come to the realization that you own too many, but don't plan on stopping? That is my reality.
yes, but i also trade in a lot and am starting to sell on discogs, so I feel like I'm approacing a balance of stuff I want vs stuff that maybe was an impetuous purchase and can go out the door to fund the habit of buying stuff I really want.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
yes, but i also trade in a lot and am starting to sell on discogs, so I feel like I'm approacing a balance of stuff I want vs stuff that maybe was an impetuous purchase and can go out the door to fund the habit of buying stuff I really want.
Since you sell on discogs.. let me ask for your opinion.

The Metallica black album I just bought off there, both albums are warped. It doesn't SEEM to affect the playback, but I dunno. It is easy to see if you look at it while the turntable is going, the warping. Should I ask for a replacement? Wait it out? I haven't used vinyl in so long, never even noticed a warped record before.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've been trying to. I sold about 50 albums over the past year. I am around 200ish albums now, but like everything I have now.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Since you sell on discogs.. let me ask for your opinion.

The Metallica black album I just bought off there, both albums are warped. It doesn't SEEM to affect the playback, but I dunno. It is easy to see if you look at it while the turntable is going, the warping. Should I ask for a replacement? Wait it out? I haven't used vinyl in so long, never even noticed a warped record before.

What was the original grade that the seller put that album at when it was advertised? Is there written communication in his description of the record in the listing or did they tell you that in the transaction message? If the seller didn't at least warn you of the warpage (which is something they should have in the listing because it can affect the grade) then you'd have a case to PM them about maybe some monetary compensation or, dunno if this is like an original pressing or just a common remaster that's out now and they could facilitate a swap out, maybe they'd be open to do that but that purely rests on if they have extra copies to swap and if you're up to offer to pay for shipping back as a show of good faith.

I've been trying to. I sold about 50 albums over the past year. I am around 200ish albums now, but like everything I have now.

Yea it's probably tougher with a smaller collection. I've hit 1,200 and have a bit more room to breathe and look at some albums and really think if they're collection worthy.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
What was the original grade that the seller put that album at when it was advertised? Is there written communication in his description of the record in the listing or did they tell you that in the transaction message? If the seller didn't at least warn you of the warpage (which is something they should have in the listing because it can affect the grade) then you'd have a case to PM them about maybe some monetary compensation or, dunno if this is like an original pressing or just a common remaster that's out now and they could facilitate a swap out, maybe they'd be open to do that but that purely rests on if they have extra copies to swap and if you're up to offer to pay for shipping back as a show of good faith.

Yea it's probably tougher with a smaller collection. I've hit 1,200 and have a bit more room to breathe and look at some albums and really think if they're collection worthy.
Mint, new and sealed. It came sealed. I PM'd you the listing for it. Not sure if we're allowed to do that publicly.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Mint, new and sealed. It came sealed. I PM'd you the listing for it. Not sure if we're allowed to do that publicly.
I think you could ask for a replacement. See if they're open to that. Make sure to have video/pics of the warpage if they want to see evidence. If it's something you really can't live with I think you may be able to get at least a replacement and send back the original they sent you. Just be nice about it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd be 100% polite about it. I posted to them on the sale page about the warp two days ago after I received them, and no reply yet. I updated it explaining I played both albums all the way through and the warping is easily noticeable. I'll give it another day or so to see if they reply. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 26, 2017
For anybody whose used the Squeaky Clean Mk. III: Do you have any before and after listening samples on hand?

I'd kinda like to hear some before pulling the trigger on this.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
I had a weeks long trip in NY and came out with a pretty good haul

A way better assortment of house/disco/techno cuts then I find in SF, but the scene was just bigger out there.
I wish there was like any sort of dance music shops in the east bay. Amoeba in Berkeley isn't as good as the SF one and I hardly make it over there, or to Vinyl Dreams or RS94109

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
some arrivals and pickups. Just traded in like 20 records for a nice chunk of trade-in credit and sold a record on discogs too (**justifying new purchases in my mind**)

03PJ4xM.png

fbSKiX8.png

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
My deluxe copy of The 59 Sound Sessions arrived today. It comes with a beautiful photo book, but I got a package from Kings Road Merch and it also included a tour poster and t-shirt.

parrotbeak

Nov 1, 2017
Just bought the Zeal & Ardor Stranger Fruit LP on purple. First vinyl I have bought in many years, probably since the 1990s. Is it normal now for long plays to be at 45? I had heard the mp3s already so knew when I put it on 33 that it was the wrong speed but I don't think I would have figured it out otherwise.

Reminds me many years ago playing Clock DVA's Sound Mirror, I assumed it was at 33 and listened to it for years that way, until the internet and I heard how it was supposed to sound. I didn't like it, lol.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Didn't find anything I liked to swap for this month's Vinyl Me Please membership, so I decided to cancel.

Problem is that my payment was apparently already processing on the 30th of June when I attempted to cancel, and sure enough, a $29 charge appeared on my credit card statement on July 1st.

Shot off an e-mail to VMP support in attempt to get it refunded and the record cancelled, only to get a response that they would cancel my subscription and refund me $174.

Uh...$174 covers six months of membership, and I only wanted July's $29 refunded. E-mailed them back to get that fixed but I just wish there was a phone number I could call to speak to a live person. Gah.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I applaud those of you who keep their Discogs collections up to date. Someone needs to be a superhero and add a barcode scanner to their app.*

*Edit: I just did a quick Google search. I'm letting this statement stand in this thread as a testament to my idiocy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

The barcode scanner is the best feature of that app. I use it all the time.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I applaud those of you who keep their Discogs collections up to date. Someone needs to be a superhero and add a barcode scanner to their app.*

*Edit: I just did a quick Google search. I'm letting this statement stand in this thread as a testament to my idiocy.

I had no idea there was a Discogs app much less a barcode scanner.

I might go through and purge my vinyl library and start from scratch as I'm pretty sure I plucked out a few wrong editions.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not smiling and laughing at you, just something else that happened at the same time as I read it. Honest.

We've all been there. I did the same thing too

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I had the Discogs app when it was a paid app called Milk Crate. Had the barcode scanner and everything.

Never used it but always meant to "get around to it."

Then Discogs bought it out, made it free and kept all of the good parts while also making it connect directly to your account.

Haven't used it but I plan on getting around to it.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Are we allowed to link our discogs store in here? I'm going to start downsizing a lot of my collection in the coming weeks.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I desperately need your help vinylERA.

I put on an album last night and quickly realized my left channel isn't working. If I cranked up my left speaker you could just barely hear the audio. Right channel is fine. I have an AT LP120 with a stock preamp which is connected directly to my speakers. Are the RCA cables connected to the preamp, which a new preamp would presumably fix, or are they connected to the turntable itself?

I need a new preamp so if thats the issue, great. If not, any advice on where to take the turntable for a fix or will I just have to find someone to do it?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I desperately need your help vinylERA.

I put on an album last night and quickly realized my left channel isn't working. If I cranked up my left speaker you could just barely hear the audio. Right channel is fine. I have an AT LP120 with a stock preamp which is connected directly to my speakers. Are the RCA cables connected to the preamp, which a new preamp would presumably fix, or are they connected to the turntable itself?

I need a new preamp so if thats the issue, great. If not, any advice on where to take the turntable for a fix or will I just have to find someone to do it?
Bunch of different things it could be, but a lot of the time it's improperly set tonearm tracking force. Article goes in-depth.

Is this your first time using the tt or was it working before and now there's a problem?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Both my tonearm and cartridge are properly set up. I've been using this set up for six months or so with no issues.
I would check all the connections, including cartridge. Not sure how the LP120 is set up, but I would try a different pair of RCA cables to eliminate them as the problem. Could also try the speakers with a separate source if you haven't already, just to rule them out.

From what I can see online it looks like there's a switch to bypass the preamp which may solve you problem, if it is indeed the preamp that is the issue. I just don't know what would have cause the preamp to suddenly stop working without opening up the tt to check all the connections, check voltages, etc.

(Also, and I'm not trying to be insulting as it happened to me way back in the beginning, so think of it as another example of me being dumb (see above for another) but you're sure the album you're playing isn't in mono, right? Just trying to rule out all possibilities!)

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I would check all the connections, including cartridge. Not sure how the LP120 is set up, but I would try a different pair of RCA cables to eliminate them as the problem. Could also try the speakers with a separate source if you haven't already, just to rule them out.

From what I can see online it looks like there's a switch to bypass the preamp which may solve you problem, if it is indeed the preamp that is the issue. I just don't know what would have cause the preamp to suddenly stop working without opening up the tt to check all the connections, check voltages, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a technology idiot so my ability to check any connections past the cartridge are limited unfortunately. I'll check the wires to the cartridge first thing after work though. As far as trying new RCA cables, the outputs (I assume they are output. The female end) are directly connected to the turntable so without opening it up I don't think I can do that.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
could have been a voltage issue going to the pre-amp that may have shorted something. that's just speculation tho. something else to look into is making sure the left speaker does work. just hook it up with the right speakers connections and make sure it's working then go from there.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I ordered the EU version last night :) . It's a brown/black swirl pattern. I've also ordered the shirt and pin. The grey looks nice too though.

I don't like the package they sold in America though: two different packs of three variants of the album, one of which was exclusive to each pack. Epitaph know people will pay $200 to get the exclusive variants though

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I hadn't even noticed those packs with three variants. When I posted the link, I was sure there were only the shirt/pin/etc bundles, not the 3 x albums ones. That's... lame. I just ordered the grey marble one. Might pick up the black 180g if it's cheap on release day (I got the new NIN for only $10 by being patient!), but I'm really not into buying all the possible variants.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I hadn't even noticed those packs with three variants. When I posted the link, I was sure there were only the shirt/pin/etc bundles, not the 3 x albums ones. That's... lame. I just ordered the grey marble one. Might pick up the black 180g if it's cheap on release day (I got the new NIN for only $10 by being patient!), but I'm really not into buying all the possible variants.
Same here. I think it's a pretty exploitative marketing trick. Two different variants, each limited to 100 copies, and each only available in a bundle with two other records. It was only on the US store too. The Eu didn't get an equivalent version.

The grey swirl is nice but I like the Beer one that I ordered. It was good value, with a shirt and pin and record mat https://eu.kingsroadmerch.com/shop/view/bundle.asp?id=1078&cid=1031

I saw them again last month in London btw. Awesome, as always. This was the first time they played The Grey live