• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
feel free to post your discogs/ebay store, just don't spam the thread with it.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
2tpP7ob.jpg

Trying to make a little more room in my shelves.... do you guys post links to sales in here or is that a no-no? I have some Every Time I Die records on eBay if anyone is interested. Also a copy of the Coachella pressing of Puscifer's V Is For Vagina

I guess if you just search you will find them, haha

I like that shelf that has most of your records on it. Where'd you get it, if you remember?

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
feel free to post your discogs/ebay store, just don't spam the thread with it.

Sweet, thanks!

I like that shelf that has most of your records on it. Where'd you get it, if you remember?

I do! Both pieces were custom made by a cabinet maker friend of mine. It's made out of real wood so it's incredibly sturdy, but also because of that incredibly heavy, especially when full of records.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I do! Both pieces were custom made by a cabinet maker friend of mine. It's made out of real wood so it's incredibly sturdy, but also because of that incredibly heavy, especially when full of records.
Nice! They look great. I especially like that you can flip through the records :) My current shelving only lets me look at the spines.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! They look great. I especially like that you can flip through the records :) My current shelving only lets me look at the spines.

Yeah, I think that's what most people have, or at least start with for sure. My first forward facing/store style set up was actually this wire stand that my ex-girlfriend got me from a local store. I still really like it, but my collection outgrew it really quickly. If I had enough space, I would probably use it to put stuff in my heavy rotation into.

IqfMOoX.jpg

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Anyone looking for those Ghibli soundtracks that were/still are on Amazon Japan, Light in The Attic is carrying some in the US if you'd rather have them shipped from the US. Last I checked they still had all three different releases for each film (Totoro, Nausicaa and Castle in The Sky).

Last edited:

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm having issues with my system.

For some reason, sound randomly only comes from one of my speakers. By random, I mean I can use my system for a week without issue, then one day without moving or touching anything of substance, sound will only come from one speaker. For example, yesterday I was listening to In Rainbows. Today, I turn on my receiver, put on In Rainbows, and sound is only coming from the right speaker.

I pulled out the speaker wires and made sure they were properly inserted on both the speakers and the receiver, but the issue persisted. Oddly enough, switching the red/white cables on my turn table switched the speaker which was outputting sound.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix this?

Equipment:
  • RT-81
  • Sony STRDH190
  • Bose 501 Series IV Speakers

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Oddly enough, switching the red/white cables on my turn table switched the speaker which was outputting sound.

Which eliminates the receiver and the speakers as being the culprit, so that's a good start.

If you switched the red/white cables on the turntable side (and not on the receiver inputs) this also means the cable is OK. So it could be:

- faulty turntable wiring or loose solders on the output connectors
- bad connection on the cartridge
- faulty cart

The first and last are really difficult to confirm or fix without some electronics and soldering knowledge, but if it's just a bad connection on the cart, try to (GENTLY) move the wires on both the cart and headshell sides to see if any of them is loose. It's this part right here. Maybe it's just that the headshell isn't making full contact, try tightening it here.

If nothing helps, send it in for a service, especially if still in warranty.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Looking for some fairly reasonable floor speakers for my AT-LP120. I have some half decent bookshelf ones, but I'm looking for something more robust with more sound. Any recommendations?

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm having issues with my system.

For some reason, sound randomly only comes from one of my speakers. By random, I mean I can use my system for a week without issue, then one day without moving or touching anything of substance, sound will only come from one speaker. For example, yesterday I was listening to In Rainbows. Today, I turn on my receiver, put on In Rainbows, and sound is only coming from the right speaker.

I pulled out the speaker wires and made sure they were properly inserted on both the speakers and the receiver, but the issue persisted. Oddly enough, switching the red/white cables on my turn table switched the speaker which was outputting sound.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix this?

Equipment:
  • RT-81
  • Sony STRDH190
  • Bose 501 Series IV Speakers

I had a similar problem with my system and it was my stylus head/assembly not not properly connecting to the arm. As in sometimes it'd come loose and I'd hear audio out of one speaker. I took it off, cleaned it out and screwed it back on securely and haven't had problems since.

It doesn't sound like it's your speakers or your wiring, as you mention changing the wires outputted to different speakers. It sounds more like your only getting the L or R signal, for whatever reason, which sounds more like a turntable/stylus thi

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some fairly reasonable floor speakers for my AT-LP120. I have some half decent bookshelf ones, but I'm looking for something more robust with more sound. Any recommendations?

I had a similar problem with my system and it was my stylus head/assembly not not properly connecting to the arm. As in sometimes it'd come loose and I'd hear audio out of one speaker. I took it off, cleaned it out and screwed it back on securely and haven't had problems since.

It doesn't sound like it's your speakers or your wiring, as you mention changing the wires outputted to different speakers. It sounds more like your only getting the L or R signal, for whatever reason, which sounds more like a turntable/stylus thi
I know you said not bookshelf speakers but I've been continuously surprised with the frequency response of these
https://audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a2-plus-powered-speakers/

I also have Cambridge Audio SX-50's from advice from a friend and they just don't have the same ability to reproduce sound as the a2's, which I didn't think I'd ever be able to say about speaker so small

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I got one of my copies of Thrice - Palms today. I've ordered the red oxblood version as Kings Road Merch completely screwed up with my package. I won't get that until sometime next week now, apparently.

Anyway, the Oxblood version is very nice. It sounds wonderful. Oh, and I absolutely love this album after just a day. It is incredible! I've liked and followed and supported this band for over 10 years, and I have a 20 year discography of albums that influenced my life in more ways than I can count. They delivered on everything I hoped they would do with this album. It's perfect, as far as I'm concerned

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Bought the Japanese Takako Mamiya Love Trip re-release of ebay, hope I didn't get scammed.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
I got one of my copies of Thrice - Palms today. I've ordered the red oxblood version as Kings Road Merch completely screwed up with my package. I won't get that until sometime next week now, apparently.

Anyway, the Oxblood version is very nice. It sounds wonderful. Oh, and I absolutely love this album after just a day. It is incredible! I've liked and followed and supported this band for over 10 years, and I have a 20 year discography of albums that influenced my life in more ways than I can count. They delivered on everything I hoped they would do with this album. It's perfect, as far as I'm concerned

Don't feel quite the same way, but I love Thrice. They've been my favourite band since Illusion of Safety. Palms is probably my least favourite album they've put out (including Identity Crisis), but it still has some affecting songs - like Beyond the Pines, Just Breathe + Only Us.

They're coming back down under for the first time in 10 years, so looking forward to seeing them live; though I'm a little disappointed it will be coming off a record that I'm not too high on.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
The turntable for my daughter's 16th birthday is a big hit. It's Bluetooth, so she can listen via her AirPods or portable speaker. She's been to the record store and her two favorite albums are The Beatles Hey Jude and an Elvis Presley's greatest hits, and my copy of Prince 1999 and The Police albums were appropriated into her collection (for some reason, she did not want my Weird Al or Steve Martin comedy albums). It's fun to watch her, but I have little nostalgia for much of the experience. I prefer pushing a button and hearing hours of music. I'd forgotten how short LPs can be. Even my wife asked, "What happened to the music?" after 4 songs.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Don't feel quite the same way, but I love Thrice. They've been my favourite band since Illusion of Safety. Palms is probably my least favourite album they've put out (including Identity Crisis), but it still has some affecting songs - like Beyond the Pines, Just Breathe + Only Us.

They're coming back down under for the first time in 10 years, so looking forward to seeing them live; though I'm a little disappointed it will be coming off a record that I'm not too high on.
It's definitely a divisive album among the fans, but I get that.

My box of merch should arrive today with my coloured lp and shirt

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
^ I've only listened to it twice so far, but I do like it. Probably on par with Major/Minor for me, which is still damn good, but my least-favourite of the post-Alchemy albums. Need to give it a few more spins, but... on topic... my vinyl copy of Palms sounds like trash. It's probably too late / not worth the trouble to ask for a replacement, though. I might spring for the 180g black copy if I see one locally.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I have two copies. The oxblood definitely sounds better than the beer EU press. The Oxblood actually sounds really good; the beer one sounds almost distorted. I thought I was just imagining it at first, but it's definitely there

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The turntable for my daughter's 16th birthday is a big hit. It's Bluetooth, so she can listen via her AirPods or portable speaker. She's been to the record store and her two favorite albums are The Beatles Hey Jude and an Elvis Presley's greatest hits, and my copy of Prince 1999 and The Police albums were appropriated into her collection (for some reason, she did not want my Weird Al or Steve Martin comedy albums). It's fun to watch her, but I have little nostalgia for much of the experience. I prefer pushing a button and hearing hours of music. I'd forgotten how short LPs can be. Even my wife asked, "What happened to the music?" after 4 songs.
that's why you need two decks and bounce between albums for maximum listening percentages.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
most of my records are dance music, mostly 2 songs per side. great to dj with but not so much if you want to just put something on

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for all four volumes of the Samurai Champloo soundtrack on vinyl.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Been a minute since this thread has been updated.

ov4Zf0nl.jpg

aERKjhfl.jpg

vFM6gtbl.jpg

LWE5DMRl.jpg

That copy of Relationship of Command I found on Discogs as a Mint condition record. It was on the other side of the country but was still in the original packaging from Amoeba records (a record shop in California). Felt like I was bringing it home.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
Apparently Silent Alarm got quietly reissued this week! I couldn't be more excited about it. It's been one of my holy grails that I've wanted on vinyl for a long, long time

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Curse of the Vampires is a great record. One of my first Scientist records.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
Bloc Party's Silent Alarm holds up so well and sounds good on vinyl. Highly recommend picking it up if you can find it. Their reissues are always for a short period of time and they never do many for whatever reason

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Just in case anyone's interested (FnordChan, maybe)?

New volume of Kosmicher Läufer just went up : https://kosmischerlaufer.bandcamp.com/

I'm always interested in the cosmic sounds of the East German Olympic program! Glad to see Kosmischer Laufer drop a new release - it's about time! Also, just look at this beauty:

0014746510_10.jpg

How could I resist?

By the way, if anyone is interested in actual Soviet era prog rock, be sure to check out the first two albums from Zodiac: Disco Alliance (1980) and Music in the Universe (1982). Behold!

R-5468809-1396079334-4799.jpeg.jpg

R-242244-1216748360.jpeg.jpg

If those covers don't send you running for Discogs, I don't know what could!

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I saw an academic paper on Soviet prog a while back but I can't remember if that group was mentioned.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
2tpP7ob.jpg

Trying to make a little more room in my shelves.... do you guys post links to sales in here or is that a no-no? I have some Every Time I Die records on eBay if anyone is interested. Also a copy of the Coachella pressing of Puscifer's V Is For Vagina

I guess if you just search you will find them, haha
Seeing collections like this always makes me jealous. My collection is just one big pile of chaos....

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If you could track down a link to that paper and share it with us, that would be amazing.
Found an abstract. It was on David Tukhmanov and his album from 1975 On My Memory's Wave. My field generally doesn't publish conference papers online but you could check out Google scholar for Alexandra Grabarchuk to see if she's published anything else on the subject if you're curious.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Found an abstract. It was on David Tukhmanov and his album from 1975 On My Memory's Wave. My field generally doesn't publish conference papers online but you could check out Google scholar for Alexandra Grabarchuk to see if she's published anything else on the subject if you're curious.

Thanks for tracking the abstract down! I found the album on Discogs. Dig the cover of the export edition:

R-2251230-1368460413-1785.jpeg.jpg

Briefly listening to it the album is all over the place stylistically; I'm curious to learn more about what sparked the paper, so I'll see what I can track down from the abstract author. Also, if you dont mind my asking, what is your field?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for tracking the abstract down! I found the album on Discogs. Dig the cover of the export edition:

R-2251230-1368460413-1785.jpeg.jpg

Briefly listening to it the album is all over the place stylistically; I'm curious to learn more about what sparked the paper, so I'll see what I can track down from the abstract author. Also, if you dont mind my asking, what is your field?
I'm a musicologist. My research area is blues-rock from the late 60s and early 70s.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Putting together a vinyl setup for GF's kid. Is an Audio Technica LP60/Edifier R1280T a good start? Didn't want anything complex.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Putting together a vinyl setup for GF's kid. Is an Audio Technica LP60/Edifier R1280T a good start? Didn't want anything complex.

It'll work but definitely look out for whether you've got a bad one. The QC of the lp60 seems to be all over the place and if you get unlucky you might run into having a player that doesn't handle the heavier LPs that well (there's quite a few stories of skipping).

There's not really a better choice for the price though unless you go up to a uturn orbit which starts at $130 and requires an extra preamp to work and also costs extra for some quality of life add ons like a cue to carefully drop the needle for you.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It'll work but definitely look out for whether you've got a bad one. The QC of the lp60 seems to be all over the place and if you get unlucky you might run into having a player that doesn't handle the heavier LPs that well (there's quite a few stories of skipping).

There's not really a better choice for the price though unless you go up to a uturn orbit which starts at $130 and requires an extra preamp to work and also costs extra for some quality of life add ons like a cue to carefully drop the needle for you.

Thanks!

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Project debut iii is on sale for $200 over at music direct. I can't decide if that or just getting a uturn orbit with the cue arm the better value for long term usage. I'm definitely waiting for black Friday to buy a new table. Maybe the debut carbon dc will be discounted to make my decision harder.