• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
You're quite welcome - let us know what you think when they arrive!

Meanwhile, my copy of Kosmischer Laufer Vol. 4 just arrived this afternoon and I'm looking forward to cranking that up. Zeit zum laufen!
Was looking into getting Vol.4 but I will probably wait for a regular 180g black release as I prefer those to the special ones. Also thinking about getting the new Jarre release as I like the album so far after about three listens. Will give feedback on those Zodiac records as well!

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Mondo is selling represses of the soundtrack (and variations) of different Ghibli films, among some other things on their website right now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Bought the soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" from Target on Tuesday and side B is popping and crackling for about 80% of the playtime with side A not being much better.

Dunked he stylus in a magic eraser a few times for good measure and as usual I brushed the record with the anti static brush I have but it's not any improved.

How frustrating. I'll probably drop in tomorrow to return it. I'd ask for a replacement instead but judging by their app they're sold out of it.

Oh well.

Also, I dropped a pack of record sleeves into my Amazon cart so I'm looking forward to finally being able to swap out my paper sleeves (most of which are plastic lined anyway) soon.

Last edited:

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought the soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" from Target on Tuesday and side B is popping and crackling for about 80% of the playtime with side A not being much better.

Dunked he stylus in a magic eraser a few times for good measure and as usual I brushed the record with the anti static brush I have but it's not any improved.

How frustrating. I'll probably drop in tomorrow to return it. I'd ask for a replacement instead but judging by their app they're sold out of it.

Oh well.

Also, I dropped a pack of record sleeves into my Amazon cart so I'm looking forward to finally being able to swap out my paper sleeves (most of which are plastic lined anyway) soon.
That sucks. Try to check their holiday return policy. You may have extra time to return so you can hang on to it for a bit and hope for a restock.

Is it a regular or colored vinyl version?

Oct 26, 2017

Oh well.

Kinda why it's good to do some research when it comes to newer pressings of older stuff and/or overall quality of pressings from certain labels.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017

Oh well.

That does suck. If you don't mind paying $30+ for it I'd look into analogue productions pressing of it. They're a high end brand similar to mofi that tends to have a lot better QC than some of the bigger mass produced pressings. Though it's a matter of opinion whether the higher price is justified (I think it is for what it's worth).

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I got a couple from Amazon this weekend. Pink Floyd - A Collection Of Great Dance Songs and Delicate Sound Of Thunder. both were from the Warehouse, in Like New condition...they were both sealed and literally perfect. Not a single mark or imperfection to be found anywhere. I paid £14 for both, whereas it's about £18 just for Delicate Sound Of Thunder. For those who don't know, Amazon's warehouse page is 20% off during the sales season

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
Anyone pick up anything good on record store day? I picked up Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band and Durand Jones live. Both sound fantastic! Not really anything else I was interested in

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I grabbed that pro-ject turntable that somebody posted above. Now I just need to find a cheap stereo receiver. My work is never done.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That does suck. If you don't mind paying $30+ for it I'd look into analogue productions pressing of it. They're a high end brand similar to mofi that tends to have a lot better QC than some of the bigger mass produced pressings. Though it's a matter of opinion whether the higher price is justified (I think it is for what it's worth).

The Analogue Productions pressing of that album is the best I've ever heard it in any format.

parrotbeak

Nov 1, 2017
I picked up the Charles Bradley Black Velvet deluxe edition box, which is about an inch thick and covered in velvet felt.

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Bradley-Featuring-Menahan-Street-Band-Black-Velvet/release/12749355
kR7j8E6.jpg

N3qmrlK.jpg

Anyone know where I can buy a plastic sleeve that will fit this and be thick enough to hold up with the weight?

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the Charles Bradley Black Velvet deluxe edition box, which is about an inch thick and covered in velvet felt.

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Bradley-Featuring-Menahan-Street-Band-Black-Velvet/release/12749355

Anyone know where I can buy a plastic sleeve that will fit this and be thick enough to hold up with the weight?
There's an oversized outer sleeve that would be fine for this on sleevecity

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-5-0-record-sleeve-p/9390.htm

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Got my two Zodiac records in the mail yesterday. Seems to be in the shape as advertised as well. Even got a nice little message on the record I bought from Russia. Surprisingly good audioquality for something produced in the east at the time

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm always interested in the cosmic sounds of the East German Olympic program! Glad to see Kosmischer Laufer drop a new release - it's about time! Also, just look at this beauty:

By the way, if anyone is interested in actual Soviet era prog rock, be sure to check out the first two albums from Zodiac: Disco Alliance (1980) and Music in the Universe (1982). Behold!

R-5468809-1396079334-4799.jpeg.jpg

R-242244-1216748360.jpeg.jpg

If those covers don't send you running for Discogs, I don't know what could!
Damn, these are worth it for the covers alone!

parrotbeak

Nov 1, 2017

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Vinyl ERA, is Insound a legit site? I wanted to buy the Daft Punk Alive deluxe edition, and they currently have it at $78. At that price, I 100% would pull the trigger on it, but there was one review site that mentioned this site wasn't legit. Has anyone had any experiences with Insound? Is it legit?

On another note, I bought the vinyl pressing of Nicolas Jaar's "Nymphs" and I'm so excited to see what it looks like in person!

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, Vinyl ERA, is Insound a legit site? I wanted to buy the Daft Punk Alive deluxe edition, and they currently have it at $78. At that price, I 100% would pull the trigger on it, but there was one review site that mentioned this site wasn't legit. Has anyone had any experiences with Insound? Is it legit?

On another note, I bought the vinyl pressing of Nicolas Jaar's "Nymphs" and I'm so excited to see what it looks like in person!

I've purchased from them before. They're fine. They seem mostly to deal in overstock.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just received Castlevania III and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood OSTs on vinyl from Mondo Tees.

What's your guys thoughts on Obi Strips? I tossed the one from my Katamari vinyl inadvertently, but I'll probably put my future ones in a safe place.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone knowledgeable, any way to identify a record's year it was pressed?

Found a slightly beat up copy of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours in a bargain bin and I'm curious.

A good cleaning and it sounds pretty good.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knowledgeable, any way to identify a record's year it was pressed?

Found a slightly beat up copy of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours in a bargain bin and I'm curious.

A good cleaning and it sounds pretty good.

The etchings in the run-out groove. Compare with entries on Discogs.

Original pressings of Rumours sound insanely good. I paid like $7 for one and it's one of my favorite demo records.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The etchings in the run-out groove. Compare with entries on Discogs.

Original pressings of Rumours sound insanely good. I paid like $7 for one and it's one of my favorite demo records.
Thank you.

That's awesome. It's one of my favorite albums ever and I was stoked to find it in a dusty crate under a table. Turns out most of the scuffs and heavy marks when caked on crud and so far it's sounding incredible which I saw why I got curious.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

That's awesome. It's one of my favorite albums ever and I was stoked to find it in a dusty crate under a table. Turns out most of the scuffs and heavy marks when caked on crud and so far it's sounding incredible which I saw why I got curious.

Yeah, I realize it sold ten billion copies and is a dime a dozen at any used record shop, but getting a record that great that sounds that good for that little money always feels nice.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I realize it sold ten billion copies and is a dime a dozen at any used record shop, but getting a record that great that sounds that good for that little money always feels nice.
Oh, exactly. But like you said, it's a good feeling.

Found a thread on Steve Hoffman forums and it's crazy how many versions there are and how knowledgeable people are. Also learned some stuff. Found a "KP" etched on the record, some cursive I can't really make out, and it has the textured cover.

Easily one of my favorite finds ever along with my copy of the Shadowrun: Dragonfall soundtrack that was basically new but someone sold because they thought it was defective(the colored disc had a wavy look to it).

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Received my signed copy of Marillion's Clutching At Straws remaster on vinyl. It sounds a lot better than my old copy that is an original release I bought on Discogs for sure. Paid about 30 pounds which a crazy good price for an album with a complete live performance and a bluray doc included.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Just got What's The Story Morning Glory remastered vinyl today, excitedly came home and put it on. Unlistenable garbage. I thought it must be my copy, but nope....a bit of research shows 5db dynamic range on this remaster. Fuck this trash. Total waste.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Just received Castlevania III and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood OSTs on vinyl from Mondo Tees.

What's your guys thoughts on Obi Strips? I tossed the one from my Katamari vinyl inadvertently, but I'll probably put my future ones in a safe place.

I keep them but it's hard not to bend those ones Mondo and other US labels do. I'm much more a fan of the Japanese style obi strips that loop around the cover.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
So I guess I listen to vinyl now.

Decided to jump in as a total beginner on a modest budget. Nothing crazy — I'm not buying a Stradivarius violin to learn how to play Three Blind Mice — but something above the turntable equivalent of a tin can on a string. Just a modest system to start exploring vinyl audio.

What I landed on:

- Audio Technica AT-LP60 USB Turntable
- Behringer PP400 preamp (purchased before I realised the LP60 has a built-in preamp so, uh, I guess this is useless then?)
- Audioengine A2+ speakers

Couple this with Daft Punk's Random Access Memories and away we go.

And to my bush league ears it sounds wonderful. My experience with vinyl previously had been the same as most people I suppose: old records, old players, maybe none of it looked after particularly well, littering the audio with the pops and crackles I'd just figured were part of listening to vinyl. But a modern recording on a brand new record on a brand new player? I was pleasantly surprised — it sounded so clean and big and full! And I was happy enough, and I guess I wanted to know some more about my gear and the details behind the hardware and so...

...and so the rabbit hole of turntable and preamp and speaker equipment swallowed me deep and now I'm second-guessing everything, bombarded with all sorts of reasons why the LP60 is a terrible turntable, and I'm swimming against the current of tracking weights and how the tone arm is much too heavy on this player and how a conical stylus is simply awful and an elliptical stylus is so much better, but of course that would be wasted on this tone arm, and ... and ...

Take me back to blissful ignorance. Well, not total ignorance — I'd like to think I entered into this game with a little bit of research and that I'm approaching it with care. But now I can't even play Get Lucky without wondering if I'm wrecking the gear end to end, carving away deep caverns from the record's grooves with each pass. And I'm not going to be breaking out the audio spectrum analyser to split hairs between this frequency and that*, just as I'm not going to be mortgaging the wife to spend tens of thousands on the top equipment money can buy.

I guess I just want to know: is there anything a total beginner on a modest budget could have done differently? Or should I just put the needle down and the volume up and listen to some goddamn music without worrying about a visit from the Vinyl Pope?

*I do think I want to add a sub to the speakers. One day.

Last edited:

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Don't sweat it. The most important thing is that you enjoy it. Yes, you could have taken a different route. It could've been better. It might not. You could've spent more. You could've spent less.

Funnily enough, the better equipment I got, the less I listened to records. You're in your honeymoon period with vinyl, enjoy it while it lasts and postpone the worrying and second-guessing for when it stops being exciting and you feel you need to change something.

Sidenote, I kind of get the impression that you didn't listen to music through any kind of speaker setup before, so hook up your computer or mp3 player or whatever to your A2+s as well, you might find tat it's not just vinyl you enjoy more, but music in general, when it's not just coming out of your laptop speakers.

(And I'm pretty sure the LP60 has a switch to turn off the built-in phono, so maybe try this kind of setup with the behringer, it might turn out to not be a waste after all)

Just have fun.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
So I guess I listen to vinyl now.

Decided to jump in as a total beginner on a modest budget. Nothing crazy — I'm not buying a Stradivarius violin to learn how to play Three Blind Mice — but something above the turntable equivalent of a tin can on a string. Just a modest system to start exploring vinyl audio.

What I landed on:

- Audio Technica AT-LP60 USB Turntable
- Behringer PP400 preamp (purchased before I realised the LP60 has a built-in preamp so, uh, I guess this is useless then?)
- Audioengine A2+ speakers

Couple this with Daft Punk's Random Access Memories and away we go.

And to my bush league it sounds wonderful. My experience with vinyl previously had been the same as most people I suppose: old records, old players, maybe none of it looked after particularly well, littering the audio with the pops and crackles I'd just figured were part of listening to vinyl. But a modern recording on a brand new record on a brand new player? I was pleasantly surprised — it sounded so clean and big and full! And I was happy enough, and I guess I wanted to know some more about my gear and the details behind the hardware and so...

...and so the rabbit hole of turntable and preamp and speaker equipment swallowed me deep and now I'm second-guessing everything, bombarded with all sorts of reasons why the LP60 is a terrible turntable, and I'm swimming against the current of tracking weights and how the tone arm is much too heavy on this player and how a conical stylus is simply awful and an elliptical stylus is so much better, but of course that would be wasted on this tone arm, and ... and ...

Take me back to blissful ignorance. Well, not total ignorance — I'd like to think I entered into this game with a little bit of research and that I'm approaching it with care. But now I can't even play Get Lucky without wondering if I'm wrecking the gear end to end, carving away deep caverns from the record's grooves with each pass. And I'm not going to be breaking out the audio spectrum analyser to split hairs between this frequency and that*, just as I'm not going to be mortgaging the wife to spend tens of thousands on the top equipment money can buy.

I guess I just want to know: is there anything a total beginner on a modest budget could have done differently? Or should I just put the needle down and the volume up and listen to some goddamn music without worrying about a visit from the Vinyl Pope?

*I do think I want to add a sub to the speakers. One day.

LP60 is a fine turntable for the price. The only reason I'd ever avoid one is just due to the occasional QC annoyances. If you can play a heavier record like Random Access Memories without error though then your turntable is probably fine.

There's not really any tried and true options out there that are in the same price point (Target has a turntable under their heyday brand that is $100 and looks promising but I don't think enough people have used them to know how reliable/good they are). You'd be looking at something like the barebones $135 uturn which would require a $50+ pre amp. I can't remember who it was but one of the well respected audio engineers has listed the lp60 as one of his top turntables because it's a great little device for people who want to listen to records without spending a bunch of money.

I will also say if you find yourself continuing to enjoy the hobby and wanting to buy a lot of records, you might want to consider saving up and upgrading then. It's easy for people to get caught up in the collecting aspect of it and be spending hundreds on expensive new records while having a setup that could benefit from some upgrades.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Some holiday pickups and gifts

Wq2KCgL.jpg

D2eHV4z.jpg

My little brother gifted me his personal copy of that Hotline Miami soundtrack. Didn't even know what to say when he gave it to me.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Some holiday pickups and gifts

Wq2KCgL.jpg

D2eHV4z.jpg

My little brother gifted me his personal copy of that Hotline Miami soundtrack. Didn't even know what to say when he gave it to me.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yea he is. I was completely taken aback. He said it was as a thank you for introducing him to electronic music way back when the game came out.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Is the Pro-Ject turntable good? Saw a used one going for $150
If it's in very good condition that's a solid price (regardless of model for the turntable) although keep in mind it's always a good idea to buy a new stylus or cartridge for a turntable unless you have been told how many hours have been put on the one that comes with the turntable (if one comes at all). As others have said though, how good of a deal depends on the model because if it's a debut carbon or debut carbon DC, that's a $400 -$500 turntable new while an essential can be bought for $300 new here in the US for the base newest model and is a turntable design very similar to the Uturn orbit.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't bought much recently but I have a couple of big purchases in mind. Do any of you have the Hamilton OST on vinyl? How does it sound? It's pretty expensive so I don't want to buy it if it's a poor press

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought much recently but I have a couple of big purchases in mind. Do any of you have the Hamilton OST on vinyl? How does it sound? It's pretty expensive so I don't want to buy it if it's a poor press

I was going to say you were crazy about the price then I went to Discogs... yep it is going up. Discogs reviews say its good so depending on how badly you want it go for it.

I went back to my vinyl setup recently and when I dropped the needle on my Aliens record and realized how much I have spent just to listen to vinyl I died a little on the inside.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Original retail price of the Hamilton set was $80 USD. I've still seen it at a few Barnes & Noble locations around Houston, but I recall you, 123rl are overseas, right?
As for the pressing, it's good. To be honest, I only listened to it once though, and then listened to it on Spotify dozens (upon dozens...) of times. I'd sell you mine, but shipping probably isn't worth it. :(

123rl

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks. With postage and tax I'd be looking at about £75, which is about the same as soms ebay sales

Original retail price of the Hamilton set was $80 USD. I've still seen it at a few Barnes & Noble locations around Houston, but I recall you, 123rl are overseas, right?
As for the pressing, it's good. To be honest, I only listened to it once though, and then listened to it on Spotify dozens (upon dozens...) of times. I'd sell you mine, but shipping probably isn't worth it. :(

Correct, I'm in the UK. Thank you for the offer, but postage costs would be too high if we used any form of secure post.

I heard one song and liked it, tried another and liked it, tried another and loved it. Suddenly I'm hooked on it and I listen to it nearly every day. It's an incredible album. I can't remember the last time I heard something that had this impact on me

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. With postage and tax I'd be looking at about £75, which is about the same as soms ebay sales

Correct, I'm in the UK. Thank you for the offer, but postage costs would be too high if we used any form of secure post.

I heard one song and liked it, tried another and liked it, tried another and loved it. Suddenly I'm hooked on it and I listen to it nearly every day. It's an incredible album. I can't remember the last time I heard something that had this impact on me

It is a fantastic album and if you ever get the chance to see the show jump on it as long as you don't have to part with a Kidney to get tickets.