• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Finally sat down to listen to the Panzer Dragoon Saga rearranged sound track. Takes me back. I still have the game but no longer have a Saturn.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to getting a record player. It's my first, and I went with a Denon DP-300F. It's fairly cheap in Japan, and seemed to be a good starter record player.

I'm setting the tone arm as to how it shows on their setup video, but when I do, and then hit start, the needle doesn't go down on the record. Does that mean that it's not heavy enough? The speakers are arriving within the hour, but I'm assuming no speakers would not have an effect.

edit: I realized I didn't then turn the tone arm an extra 2 grams as it says in the instruction manual, but when I tried then, the needle went straight inward on the record, and making a slight scratching sound! I'm a total noob, and am going to put in a record I care less about in case I screw something up.

edit2: okay, it was a really dumb mistake, there was a plastic cover (head shell?) in place with tape over the needle. I manually flipped it up, now seems to be okay. I'll leave all this here in case anyone else is as dumb as I was!

Last edited:

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
I was just recently introduced to the 90s band Duster and ended up buying their new box set on vinyl. It sounds so damn good and the packaging is phenomenal. It's a shame this band flew under the radar

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I picked up a new record player to replace the godawful one I bought my gf (because she was nagging me for a record player but isn't picky). I learned enough about vinyl to get a better one.

My new Lenvo L3-808 arrived and it's so nice! And WOW I cannot believe the sound on this thing. It blows my old one completely to pieces. I always assumed vinyl was supposed to sound old and a bit flat. Not true. This record player has so much bass kick I had to turn my subwoofer down 0_0.

I love it so much I just ordered three new records:

- Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (also has the CD!)
- Daft Punk - RAM
- Eminem - Recovery

And I'm planning more buys. Despite having bought a £500 FLAC player not 6 months ago and filling it with CD rips. Send help!

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
If you're impressed now, keep in mind that while not terrible, this lenco is the most entry level turntable out there (apart from the cheap plastic ones that don't even deserve a mention), so there's still a ton of room for improvement.

And RAM is one of the best sounding records I own, such a joy to listen to

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you're impressed now, keep in mind that while not terrible, this lenco is the most entry level turntable out there (apart from the cheap plastic ones that don't even deserve a mention), so there's still a ton of room for improvement.

And RAM is one of the best sounding records I own, such a joy to listen to

See I read this but the Lenco has great reviews from some audiophile vinyl websites and it's priced similar to the Audio Technica Lp120 in the UK. And it has all the features I'm supposed to look for: direct drive, manual, balanced tonearm, Phono pre amp (with line out switch too), and an okay AT cartridge. So it seemed to tick a lot of boxes. I'm very happy with the sound, and it's nice to have something slightly different to all the LP120s around. You wouldn't believe the upgrade from a GPO briefcase!

I was never going to drop more than £200 on a record player as it's an unnecessary indulgence really, my main for music is still my Hiby R6 with CD FLAC rips, a Fiio amp and a pair of V-Moda crossfade, I'm a digital guy so I still believe CD rips are better quality than vinyl, but it is nice that I have a record player that sounds *good* for my favourite albums on record now.

Last edited:

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here live in LA and have any tips about RSD? Last RSD I participated in was in a small college town so I don't know what to expect. All I really want is the Lost in Translation vinyl

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here live in LA and have any tips about RSD? Last RSD I participated in was in a small college town so I don't know what to expect. All I really want is the Lost in Translation vinyl
When I did this in NYC, there was a massive line at Turntable Lab that took me about 2-3 hours to get through. I'd imagine LA would be about the same, so plan ahead.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyone here have experience getting RSD albums not available in your country?
I want the Spider-Man record but it's not available in The Netherlands (or all of Europe?) for some reason, even though it wasn't listed as a region exclusive record on the RSD site. I asked my local record shop if they could get it anyway and they emailed the distributor for me. I won't know if they managed to get a copy (they won't know either until stock comes in), but it's worth a shot to ask if you're a regular at your local record shop. If you can't get it this way there will be plenty of sellers on discogs when RSD is over.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone sign up for the discounted Vinyl Me Please Anthology? Six Blue Note albums overseen by Don Was. It includes Bobby Hutcherson's Montara which I'm looking forward to.
It looked sweet, but it was just too much up front to try and get out the gate. I may just cherry pick the ones I want down the road.

I made some big moves today tho and secured a copy of Curren$y's - Covert Coup as a trade with some cash, looking forward to it coming in the mail.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want the Spider-Man record but it's not available in The Netherlands (or all of Europe?) for some reason, even though it wasn't listed as a region exclusive record on the RSD site. I asked my local record shop if they could get it anyway and they emailed the distributor for me. I won't know if they managed to get a copy (they won't know either until stock comes in), but it's worth a shot to ask if you're a regular at your local record shop. If you can't get it this way there will be plenty of sellers on discogs when RSD is over.
Good thinking!

I'm not in too much of a rush anymore as it looks like the only difference is that the RSD version is white and comes out a month sooner that the regular version. I only found out about it off a random reddit post. (Samael - Solar Soul)

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
It's RSD! Show us your hauls. I got the one and only album I really wanted - Deeper Wells by Thrice. I also picked up a Prodigy single 7", and a My Chemical Romance live album

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
There were a few things that I was interested in but I'll just pick them up on the aftermarket like usual. RSD is just too much of a hassle to deal with in person.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
There were a few things that I was interested in but I'll just pick them up on the aftermarket like usual. RSD is just too much of a hassle to deal with in person.

I have built up a trade network for the last 6 years that covers RSD. I hate fighting with the people that think its black friday and I skip out on stressing over albums I cannot find.

Best of luck to everyone else and I hope you find what you are looking for in the madness.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
my homeboy is gonna try copping me a Fetti LP in store lol. Prolly just gonna have to get one online, though.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Trout Mask Replica
Loveless

I should have known better to think I'd get Death Grips lol

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Got literally nothing but wasn't expecting to. My local record store is super small and I had to work early. Oh well.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wanted Thrush Hermit but didn't manage to get a copy, I'm hoping it gets released by the label later on. The stores were having a 20% sale and I picked up:
Fucked Up - Chemistry of Common Life
Idles - Joy As An Act of Resistance
Wintersleep - In The Land Of
Gary Clark Jr - This Land
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

mrkapawutzis

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone using the updated Discogs app? Did they take away the feature to jump to their website? Can't seem to find it.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Robert Johnson and Blind Willie McTell RSD singles I had wanted on the way. Still trying to not pay through the nose for The Crow soundtrack and Bill Evans in England, but those two seem to be pretty popular.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, it's still on the iOS app

I kept looking even in the menus I might be really stupid though. I am looking for desktop speakers now as I do more and more work at my desktop and I am getting sick of wearing headphones. Anyone using small bookshelf speakers or setups connected to analog that can suggest some decent speakers? A sub is not neccesary and I don't mind if they are powered or not.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017

Another record off the old white whale list.

FeistyTerribleBoto-max-1mb.gif

Oct 29, 2017
I kept looking even in the menus I might be really stupid though. I am looking for desktop speakers now as I do more and more work at my desktop and I am getting sick of wearing headphones. Anyone using small bookshelf speakers or setups connected to analog that can suggest some decent speakers? A sub is not neccesary and I don't mind if they are powered or not.
Yes, yes I can.

Audio Engine A2+. I had a pair of regular A2's for years until they mysteriously died on me (I believe a fuse was blown or something), but I loved them so much that I went ahead and got the A2+'s, the updated model, and still love them. What makes the A2+ special, is that they have a USB in, with a built in DAC/Amp, so plugging into your computer is easy, AND they have RCA input AND output, as well as 3.5 mm. Small, and pack a punch. The old models I had could keep up with Eraserhead, which is the most sound dense movie you can throw at a tiny pair of speakers.

Ninja Edit: Looking at the current listing for them, it looks like they have snuck out a quiet revision. Newer models seem to use micro USB for audio, while the model I have uses USB B, the more square plug with little horns, more commonly used for printers. No idea if this has caused a quality boost or drop, or what have you

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Is there a good place to get cardboard record mailers besides Amazon? Looks like 80 cents/ea. is about what I'd be paying there ($40 for a pack of 50). I'm going to start unloading my collection soon and although I'll probably just sell a lot of the basic stuff at local shops, my '70s and '80s Japanese discs are definitely going on discogs.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good place to get cardboard record mailers besides Amazon? Looks like 80 cents/ea. is about what I'd be paying there ($40 for a pack of 50). I'm going to start unloading my collection soon and although I'll probably just sell a lot of the basic stuff at local shops, my '70s and '80s Japanese discs are definitely going on discogs.
I like the ones on sleeve city

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/record-mailers-s/1831.htm

But wherever you can get a deal honestly and don't forget to line the boxes with extra cushion and ship the records outside the outer sleeve and all should be well.

mrkapawutzis

Oct 30, 2017

Did you post the Japanese albums on discogs and if so, you gotta link?