• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda regretting buying into vinyl back in January 2018. I don't play it very much and I haven't bought a new record in probably nine months.

I went through my parents' collection and plucked out about a dozen titles, but I want to get them properly cleaned before I gunk up my turntable. I feel like once I get those cleaned and give them a listen my interest might be revitalized a bit.

I think it also hurts that I'm in an apartment with the wife. I feel like I can't enjoy albums without potentially annoying her. Once we're in a house (hopefully by the end of the year) I can set up the turntable in a separate room and better enjoy it.

I'm hopeful I don't need to replace the stylus or belt anytime soon considering I use it so infrequently.
my last belt lasted about 8 years. longer than I should've kept it on the table, but it held on. the cart on your table should be fine for 5,000+ hours. carts are made so well nowadays that even base models last forever. You'd only ever want to replace it if it was visibly damaged or the signal was being distorted in the chain. Otherwise replacing it is purely for upgrading/funsies.

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda regretting buying into vinyl back in January 2018. I don't play it very much and I haven't bought a new record in probably nine months.

I went through my parents' collection and plucked out about a dozen titles, but I want to get them properly cleaned before I gunk up my turntable. I feel like once I get those cleaned and give them a listen my interest might be revitalized a bit.

I think it also hurts that I'm in an apartment with the wife. I feel like I can't enjoy albums without potentially annoying her. Once we're in a house (hopefully by the end of the year) I can set up the turntable in a separate room and better enjoy it.

I'm hopeful I don't need to replace the stylus or belt anytime soon considering I use it so infrequently.

This rings very true to me too. Are headphones an option? I got a headphone amp recently and paired with my ok-ish headphones, it's gotten me listening much more than I had been.

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
This rings very true to me too. Are headphones an option? I got a headphone amp recently and paired with my ok-ish headphones, it's gotten me listening much more than I had been.

Headphones are definitely an option and a lot of vinyl listeners use them. I prefer to use headphones sometimes if I really want to listen closely to certain parts of an album. There are different options depending on your setup of course. I plug Audio-Technica ATH-OX7AMP headphones into my Pro-Ject preamp.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've never been happier to have a plastic cover on my turntable. The wife and I adopted a cat two months ago and he jumps up on the record player at least two or three times a night in his nighty "crazy cat" routine.

ATLP3.jpg

I should probably pick it up completely since I don't use it very often, but the packaging is deep into a closet and not readily accessible and if I'm gonna pack it away I want to do it properly in the proper foam pieces.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
A local place near my has a treasure trove of older records, but I wanted to get opinions on testing/eyeballing older vinyl. Considering age, any suggestions on gauging quality? Do you try and go for pristine or will consider something that might have a scratch or two? Luckily the place has a turntable available, but was just curious on opinions on where people draw the line with older vinyl.

Thanks.
that's a nice cover and vinyl color, but I think I'll stick with my Grey Fox edition

metal-gear-solid-soundtrack.png
I just got my Mondo in and I will say it's a great pressing, but I'm still jealous that I couldn't pick up the Grey Fox edition.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
A local place near my has a treasure trove of older records, but I wanted to get opinions on testing/eyeballing older vinyl. Considering age, any suggestions on gauging quality? Do you try and go for pristine or will consider something that might have a scratch or two? Luckily the place has a turntable available, but was just curious on opinions on where people draw the line with older vinyl.

I think learning to judge quality of the surface of vinyl is good. Learn the difference between hairline scratches vs surface scratches and gouges. Blow lightly on the vinyl (or bring an anti-static soft cloth with you) to get rid of surface debris. I've definitely bought records I thought looked good in store but had gunk in the grooves that I initially thought was just surface gunk. Hold it up to a light source to really get a good idea. Sun light is good but a direct light bulb is better. Don't be fooled by the sheen of a record.

At the end of the day tho you gotta weigh how badly you want the thing. Does it seem too good to be true for price and rarity of the record? Because it probably is. There's also the fact you may find another copy somewhere in the used bins. It'll probably be slightly more expensive too if it's better quality. That's another way to tell. The shop owner knows their product and if they have two copies of the same record and one is a couple bucks more, probably go with that one (tho be careful that they will sometimes upcharge if the cover is better but the record isn't necessarily better).

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
my last belt lasted about 8 years. longer than I should've kept it on the table, but it held on. the cart on your table should be fine for 5,000+ hours. carts are made so well nowadays that even base models last forever. You'd only ever want to replace it if it was visibly damaged or the signal was being distorted in the chain. Otherwise replacing it is purely for upgrading/funsies.
I don't know about 5000+ hours. The most I've seen a manufacturer claim is 3000 hours, I think. Most are around 1000. And there's evidence to suggest that the life of a stylus maybe lower than that:

And if you want 25+ pages of people arguing and experimenting in response:

(Be prepared for numerous graphs and ultra macro pictures.)

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I found at a thrift store yesterday for 5 bucks the original Star Wars vinyl. Tried it out and it plays great, which is amazing since it from the late 70s. Need to track the other movie sometime. The new ones dont' seem to be that hard to get for a good price, but what about the prequels and the remaining original trilogy?

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Used to collect records about 7/8 years ago but sold it all as I was moving too frequently. My brother recently got a new turntable, which got me interested again. 3 weeks later here I am with a turntable, speakers, 25 records and no money. Hopefully I can slow down a bit now the initial excitement has subsided, it sure is an expensive hobby.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Used to collect records about 7/8 years ago but sold it all as I was moving too frequently. My brother recently got a new turntable, which got me interested again. 3 weeks later here I am with a turntable, speakers, 25 records and no money. Hopefully I can slow down a bit now the initial excitement has subsided, it sure is an expensive hobby.

Nice! What turntable and speakers did you get?

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WARP is releasing a 10 x 12''' boxset of some of the WXAXRXP sessions. Preorder here @ $150
ReleaseFormat-410044-88738.jpg

Disappointed it isn't a boxset of some of the original material played during those sets. I'd pay good money for recordings of the Kelela, Death Grips, Autechre, BoC, and Hudson Mohawke sets.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
wiBqOfA.jpg

VMP has a bop coming in November. They're only offering 3-month plans now for new members, but month to month works for us old timers. Get in before they sell out (which has happened in the past with reissues of theirs (gorillaz, fiona apple, method man) or just wait for the other versions that will be coming out).

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up some new records:
- Four Tet: Anna Painting
- Chromatics: Just Like Us (came with a free 7'' of Symmetry's "Yes" single)
- S-Type: Beat EP

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Got the new Abbey Road. I don't have any previous pressings to compare with but it sounds pretty good to my virgin ears.

In sadder news, the Dear Hunter box set got delayed again...

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a bookstore in SoHo today and saw this and figured I should pick it up. Soundtrack to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Looks like it's from a collection of 4. May try to track them down. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet tho.

photo host

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
wiBqOfA.jpg

VMP has a bop coming in November. They're only offering 3-month plans now for new members, but month to month works for us old timers. Get in before they sell out (which has happened in the past with reissues of theirs (gorillaz, fiona apple, method man) or just wait for the other versions that will be coming out).
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely need this, Flaming Lips is a nice bonus as well.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
wiBqOfA.jpg

Fucking. Awesome. I've been looking into buying back a copy of the original press that I sold back in the day as well. I may stick with this. Hopefully they don't give me any reason to still hold out for an original like they did with Demon Days (the lack of smooth transitions between tracks on their repress kind of ruins the release for me).

Edit: Oh shit, this is apparently cut by Chris Bellman, mastered at Bernie Grundam and being pressed at Pallas.

EDIT 2: HOLY SHIT AND AN ALL ANALOG ARETHA FRANKLIN PRESSING IN DECEMBER!

Last edited:

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they don't give me any reason to still hold out for an original like they did with Demon Days (the lack of smooth transitions between tracks on their repress kind of ruins the release for me).
Woah what's the story here? That seems like a pretty big oversight?

I was planning to swap out for Demon Days in December :/

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Woah what's the story here? That seems like a pretty big oversight?

I was planning to swap out for Demon Days in December :/
The transitions between "Dirty Harry" and "Feel Good Inc." and, more egregiously, between "Fire Coming Out of The Monkey's Head", "Don't Get Lost in Heaven", and "Demon Days" were not included, because they weren't on the original masters. They were just effects added when they did the vinyl version (Someone please correct me if I have anything wrong, there.) So now, instead of a seamless transition between songs, you have a gap of silence between each of them. The first instance isn't the end of the world but it really fucks up the end of the record in my opinion.

It is a weird oversight, considering Hewlitt himself listened to and approved the remaster before it was pressed. Album still sounds great; it just doesn't sound how it was supposed to at the time.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
The transitions between "Dirty Harry" and "Feel Good Inc." and, more egregiously, between "Fire Coming Out of The Monkey's Head", "Don't Get Lost in Heaven", and "Demon Days" were not included, because they weren't on the original masters. They were just effects added when they did the vinyl version (Someone please correct me if I have anything wrong, there.) So now, instead of a seamless transition between songs, you have a gap of silence between each of them. The first instance isn't the end of the world but it really fucks up the end of the record in my opinion.

It is a weird oversight, considering Hewlitt himself listened to and approved the remaster before it was pressed. Album still sounds great; it just doesn't sound how it was supposed to at the time.
That's really disappointing, especially when they talk so much about their attention to detail in making these pressings. Maybe I'll get their Desert Sessions record instead.

Hope they get Songs for the Deaf right at least.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in for Flaming Lips and QotSA, but I already have that Aretha album so I'll have to swap it. How easy is it to swap stuff and is just the leftover dregs?

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for Flaming Lips and QotSA, but I already have that Aretha album so I'll have to swap it. How easy is it to swap stuff and is just the leftover dregs?
Looks easy, I tested with Flaming Lips just to see how it works. There's quite a large selection to choose from, I think every past record of the month that isn't out of stock. If you have a look through the store you should be able to see what's available.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The wife and I adopted a cat back in late June and I love the guy, but he has a bad habit of liking to jump up onto my turntable and from there, the nearby speaker. Luckily he has never jumped onto the turntable while it was playing, and I have a AT-LP3, which has a plastic dust cover, so I figured the worst he could do is scratch the plastic cover, and thus I covered it with a blanket for now.

Of course this morning after stepping out of the shower I noticed he's sitting on one of the speakers, as he does, but theturntable was playing and was probably about 2/3rds through the record. I'm guessing at some point earlier in the morning he managed to hit the "start" button on the front and started it playing.

How much should I be concerned that he damaged the stylus, record, or anything else in jumping up there while it was playing? I gave the record a quick dusting and started it from the beginnning and it didn't sound any different than usual so I'm not super concerned, but it also never got to the point it would have been on when he jumped up there either, so it'd be nice for someone to assuage my fears a bit.

Needless to say I put the record that was on the turntable back into its sleeve, slipped the plastic protector back onto the stylus, tied down the tonearm, and unplugged the turntable for good measure, so none of this can happen again.

Late Edit: I'm thinking this weekend I'm gonna fish the packaging for it out of the closet and box it back up. I think it might be time to retire it until we get out of this apartment and into a house. I need to invest in a inexpensive record washing system anyway and I think I'm gonna wait until then to do so, as I don't really have the space to devote to a cleaning setup. Maybe then I'll look into a replacement stylus or maybe even something that's a slight upgrade.

Or maybe I'll just bail on vinyl altogether for a few years, I dunno.

Last edited:

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely interested in that Rated R release. Especially if they've been remastered, but I haven't seen any info on that front. I've only got a bootleg at the moment so anything official with better sound I'm all in on.
Good chance it has been, considering Songs [..] has.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Just received my first Vinyl Me, Please package (Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin). Couple of bits of artwork, a cocktail recipe (lol, do they always have this? It's a cute touch), and of course the brightly coloured record itself, all nicely packaged and obviously sounding great. I'm really going to look forward to receiving these every month!

Sep 12, 2018
81U4zh3LZBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Had to order this after listening to the vinyl re-release of Emperor Tomato Ketchup earlier.

The reissues of Transient Random Noise Bursts and Mars Audiac Quintet rule too. Love Stereolab.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Just pre-ordered the Black Pumas album through VMP. If you're a member, check this album out. It's a great neo-soul group from Austin.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Just received my first Vinyl Me, Please package (Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin). Couple of bits of artwork, a cocktail recipe (lol, do they always have this? It's a cute touch), and of course the brightly coloured record itself, all nicely packaged and obviously sounding great. I'm really going to look forward to receiving these every month!
Yeah, they've done the cocktail recipes since the beginning.

I'm glad you're liking the sub. VMP is one of the best things to come out of the vinyl revival, in my opinion. Along with spearheading the repressing of OOP modern classics (a la Demon Days, QotSA, etc) and never printed modern classic (Tidal) they are obviously huge fans of music, both well and little known and, in the context of vinyl, they really care about how these albums sound. The pressing of Al Green's "Call Me" that they did, for example, is one of the best pressings of that album I've ever heard. And going back to what I said before about little known music: I've been exposed to a ton of stuff that I never would have listened to had they not sent it to me that month. The range of music they provide is really impressive. Some of the best money I've spent on vinyl for sure.

Last edited:

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they've done the cocktail recipes since the beginning.

I'm glad you're liking the sub. VMP is one of the best things to come out of the vinyl revival, in my opinion. Along with spearheading the repressing of OOP modern classics (a la Demon Days, QotSA, etc) and never printed modern classic (Tidal) they are obviously huge fans of music, both well and little known and, in the context of vinyl, they really care about how these albums sound. The pressing of Al Green's "Call Me" that they did, for example, is one of the best pressings of that album I've ever heard. And going back to what I said before about little known music: I've been exposed to a ton of stuff that I never would have listened to had they not sent it to me that month. The range of music they provide is really impressive. Some of the best money I've spent on vinyl for sure.
The thing that amazes me is it hardly costs any more than just buying from a store. I do wish they had more of a rock/metal selection but, as you said, the plus side is I'll give a chance to stuff I otherwise wouldn't have listened to.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
WARP is releasing a 10 x 12''' boxset of some of the WXAXRXP sessions. Preorder here @ $150
ReleaseFormat-410044-88738.jpg

Disappointed it isn't a boxset of some of the original material played during those sets. I'd pay good money for recordings of the Kelela, Death Grips, Autechre, BoC, and Hudson Mohawke sets.

It's not those sessions exclusively, it's collated from sessions performed over the last 30 years so for example there's an LFO Peel session from 1990. The entire weekend is out on the Internet somewhere if you're looking to hear it again.