• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Most of this stuff arrived in like a week. Felt like Christmas.

What are some good protective outer sleeves that are a bit uh...wider? The packaging on the clipping album is super thick and rips through the ones I have.

gUQd4DQ.jpg

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Most of this stuff arrived in like a week. Felt like Christmas.

What are some good protective outer sleeves that are a bit uh...wider? The packaging on the clipping album is super thick and rips through the ones I have.

gUQd4DQ.jpg
Man, your copy of IGOR arrived? I still haven't received mine and I get no response from customer service about it either.

As for sleeves, I use these for double albums:

They are thick and crystal clear. A bit pricey, but Sleeve City runs a 15% off code around every major holiday and then some.

Last edited:

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Man, your copy of IGOR arrived? I still haven't received mine and I get no response from customer service about it either.

As for sleeves, I use these for double albums:

They are thick and crystal clear. A bit pricey, but Sleeve City runs a 15% code around every major holiday and then some.

Cool I'll check those out. And yeah, it just arrived with no tracking number, emails, any kind of notification.

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Anyone here that owns the Magma Riot LP-Trolley 50? I just ordered one because I needed to replace my old trolley asap, but I just read an Amazon review mentioning that there is no way this thing fits 50 records. That'd be a bummer because I was banking on 40 records + clothes and stuff. Any other recommendations for a trolley that fits airline handluggage specifications, in case I need to send it back? The small one from UDG looks decent, too. Anyone has experience with that one? I really don't want to use a bag anymore, my shoulder hurts like hell nowadays lol

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Sony PSHX500 is 248$ on Focus Camera right now if you apply AUDIO at check out. Finally bit the bullet, been waiting so long for it to drop it in price

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
Anyone have a go to label for bootleg vinyls. I like to collect some of them but have had a hard time finding a reputable distributor and since Discogs doesn't allow people to sell them it's tough to know what some of the biggers bootleg labels are.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello, I've been getting more and more interested in starting a vinyl collection. It's something that won't get out of my head. However record stores are non existent here, last one I knew of closed down in the summer, you'll only find the same stuff on every flea market and thrift stores won't be a help either.. basically I'd be missing out on the whole crate digging thing and just from informing myself about the topic it seems like a somewhat big part of the whole experience?. obviously, the sound is what matters, but this is still the one roadblock that keeps me from fully getting into it. Do you people have any opinion on this? I kinda dislike the idea of having to rely on the internet for this but at the same time it seems like the only option. Darn it.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Hello, I've been getting more and more interested in starting a vinyl collection. It's something that won't get out of my head. However record stores are non existent here, last one I knew of closed down in the summer, you'll only find the same stuff on every flea market and thrift stores won't be a help either.. basically I'd be missing out on the whole crate digging thing and just from informing myself about the topic it seems like a somewhat big part of the whole experience?. obviously, the sound is what matters, but this is still the one roadblock that keeps me from fully getting into it. Do you people have any opinion on this? I kinda dislike the idea of having to rely on the internet for this but at the same time it seems like the only option. Darn it.

I've been buying vinyl for well over a decade now, when I started there wasn't a single record store in my entire country (other than a couple those flea-market types that offered nothing but your standard beat-to-hell 60s-80s classics that "old people were throwing away"). Now we've got a few electronic-store-type chains that also carry a small selection of records, but that's mostly just reissues of the same 60s-80s albums and the 5 or 10 most popular major label releases for each of the past few years. EAnd even then I'd have to drive roughly 150 kilometers for the privilege.

I just buy 99.9% of my records online. It's cheaper, way more convenient, and with an infinitely bigger selection than buying in-store. Sure, it's not the same experience, but it's still not a bad one.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
My pickups from the weeked, A Dawn to fear is on clear with black smoke marble effect vinyl and Anthems to The Welkin At Dusk is on Green Vinyl

0kJ83la.jpg

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impulse bought:

- Jun Fukumachi: Nicole
- Kamasi Washington: Harmony of Difference
- DJ Koze: Knock Knock

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Packed away my AT-LP3 in its packaging (along with my record collection, packed separately, obviously) as my cat kept jumping up on it and scratching the dust cover, and hopefully the wife and I will be out of the apartment in a few months and into a house, so it will eventually be needed to be packed up anyway.

Whenever it comes back out of the box I think I'm gonna order a new cartridge and belt for it. Eyeballing the AT95E, as it's around $50 and appears to be a decent upgrade to what came stock on the turntable out of the box. Don't think I'm gonna go nuts with a scale gauge and all that, but alignment will assuredly be nervewracking. Gonna measure out where the stock cartridge sits and try to match that, and then go with a simple paper guide from there; hopefully I don't need to invest in anything fancy.

Also will probably finally buy a SpinClean and go through and clean all my existing records plus the records my parents donated to me months back. I figure I'll use the unboxing event as a fresh start: New cartridge (which will contain a new stylus), new belt, clean records. Might even buy a new snazzy record mat with a fun design if I'm feeling crazy and I might even replace the dust cover if I deem it scratched enough that it bothers me.

I was considering just selling off the whole setup and opting for something like a Orbit turntable instead, but I really enjoy the push-button start and auto-stop features of the AT-LP3.

Maybe I'll opt for an Orbit in a few years if/when the AT-LP3 gives me issues.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, wanting to get some views on this from this community.

I'm going to the US soon and been planning to bring home a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC. I want to bring a phono preamp along with it, and stumbled upon two tube options: Yaqin MS-23B and the Nobsound Little Bear T11.

I find myself wanting to experiment with tubes, and maybe will tuberoll the one I buy depending on the sound I get on my system.

I wanted to ask you guys if any of you have experience with tube preamps and have any advice on this regard. Can I buy a higher quality preamp on this price range? ($200)

I read complaints on other forums about a lot of different things, so it seems like these chinese-made preamps are kind of hit and miss in regards to build quality. I want to bring back a power conditioner aswell so I hope I don't have humming problems with whatever I choose to buy. My house has electric grounding.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Have they massively reduced the records available for swaps on Vinyl Me Please? For October I definitely had the option to swap out for Demon Days, but decided not to. Now it's still available in the store but I can't swap for it?

Same with Desert Sessions. This is really disappointing. First they change the subscription model to a 3 month minimum, then (and only 2 months later) they remove a bunch of options for that subscription :/

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I saw Demon Days as a Swap option for this month. I ended up swapping to the Run DMC album because I already the Aretha album, but Demon Days was definitely an option for me when I did it. They might have used up their allotment of it.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Have they massively reduced the records available for swaps on Vinyl Me Please? For October I definitely had the option to swap out for Demon Days, but decided not to. Now it's still available in the store but I can't swap for it?

Same with Desert Sessions. This is really disappointing. First they change the subscription model to a 3 month minimum, then (and only 2 months later) they remove a bunch of options for that subscription :/
It's still there but I think they reduced the amount of swaps you can make because of their inventory. They don't want what has happened over the last year (a year of overselling, emergency repressing and low sales numbers) hit them business wise anymore.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Demon Days as a Swap option for this month. I ended up swapping to the Run DMC album because I already the Aretha album, but Demon Days was definitely an option for me when I did it. They might have used up their allotment of it.
It's still there but I think they reduced the amount of swaps you can make because of their inventory. They don't want what has happened over the last year (a year of overselling, emergency repressing and low sales numbers) hit them business wise anymore.
Ah I must have just missed it :(
Oh well thanks for the replies.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

I'm going to the US soon and been planning to bring home a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC. I want to bring a phono preamp along with it, and stumbled upon two tube options: Yaqin MS-23B and the Nobsound Little Bear T11.

I find myself wanting to experiment with tubes, and maybe will tuberoll the one I buy depending on the sound I get on my system.

I wanted to ask you guys if any of you have experience with tube preamps and have any advice on this regard. Can I buy a higher quality preamp on this price range? ($200)

I read complaints on other forums about a lot of different things, so it seems like these chinese-made preamps are kind of hit and miss in regards to build quality. I want to bring back a power conditioner aswell so I hope I don't have humming problems with whatever I choose to buy. My house has electric grounding.
Where do you live, is ordering those online not an option? I would advise against buying a tube phono preamp in that range.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017

My whole setup from phone pre-amp to amp is tubes. I love the look and sound of them along the ability to alter the character of the sound somewhat via tube rolling. Keep in mind, though, you can wind up paying more for the tubes that the equipment pretty quickly.

That said, I'm going to have to agree with nitewulf : a tube phono pre at this price range is likely to be noisy and not offer the full benefit of tubes (many of them don't use the tubes in the signal chain at all). If you could double your budget you would start to see some very-good-for-the-money pre-amps but for $200 I would instead get yourself a great bang for your buck solid state phonostage.

If you are dead set on a tube phonostage I would go with the Yaqin. They have one of the better reputations among the budget, Chinese equipment manufacturers and it appears that there are some well-documented mods that can show noticeable improvements.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do you live, is ordering those online not an option? I would advise against buying a tube phono preamp in that range.
They can be an option but it costs 4x more. :)
Welcome to latin america baby

My whole setup from phone pre-amp to amp is tubes. I love the look and sound of them along the ability to alter the character of the sound somewhat via tube rolling. Keep in mind, though, you can wind up paying more for the tubes that the equipment pretty quickly.

That said, I'm going to have to agree with nitewulf : a tube phono pre at this price range is likely to be noisy and not offer the full benefit of tubes (many of them don't use the tubes in the signal chain at all). If you could double your budget you would start to see some very-good-for-the-money pre-amps but for $200 I would instead get yourself a great bang for your buck solid state phonostage.

If you are dead set on a tube phonostage I would go with the Yaqin. They have one of the better reputations among the budget, Chinese equipment manufacturers and it appears that there are some well-documented mods that can show noticeable improvements.

Great advices, thanks! Do you have a recommendation on a solid state pre at this price range?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
They can be an option but it costs 4x more. :)
Welcome to latin america baby

Great advices, thanks! Do you have a recommendation on a solid state pre at this price range?
Just came back from Buenos aires. I love Latin America but yeah, America is definitely cheaper than anywhere else for shopping.

I'd suggest:

Mobile Fidelity Phonostage:

Graham Amp 2 (MM only):

Rega:

And Schiit:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Question for all, what's the most you'll pay for a used and/or out of print record?

I've been collecting records of my favorite albums and I'm finding prices are a bit high.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I think the most I spent is $150 as well for vintage Blue Note pressings. I listen to them, didn't buy to put them away for reselling. Though my turntable setup is high end and wear is minimal.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This might seem like a stupid question, but do you actually listen to it? Are you concerned with wearing out a valuable record?
Yea I spin all my high priced records as if they were any other. Also I'd need to really spin it for a couple hundred hours for any real damage to be done and I'm pretty sure my needle would give out before my record did. My most expensive record in my collection (Frank Ocean - Blond) gets spun a few times a year.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I've bought a couple $500+ ones, and then maybe 20 or so in the $150+ range. I've likely spun all at least once, but if I have more versions of the really expensive ones I'll usually use the more common variant for everyday listening. For example, my biggest purchase so far was the AFI - All Hallows 7" test press, which is the only known copy in existence, so I avoid putting that one on too often, but I've got a couple retail OG 7" presses and all the 10" represses, so it's not like I'm missing out or anything.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Question for all, what's the most you'll pay for a used and/or out of print record?

I've been collecting records of my favorite albums and I'm finding prices are a bit high.

If you're talking about a single album, the most I've spent (so far) is $180.00-ish (I've spent more for, say, box sets). Yes, I play them. Unless your record player is a Crosley or some wind-up phonograph the wear to the actual record will be imperceptible even after many dozens of hours of play. No point in spending the money if you're not gonna play it unless maybe you're into the area of slinch and his test pressing (that is a pretty rad item to have, by the way) or something one-of-a-kind. Even then, you gotta listen to it at least once, right?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
2H2bYlp.png

Most times I go into a record shop it's looking for an album to really jump out at me but this was definitely a case of "I really like these albums and keep seeing them in shops so why don't I have them yet?".

No rating on Speaking in Tongues yet because aside from the opening and closing tracks I really need to revisit it. Also that embossed artwork on Fear of Music is cool as hell.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

So after like 5,000 delays this is finally supposed to be shipping out soon. I'm gonna spend a good amount of time just admiring the art for Acts II and III.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up:
- Oneohtrix Point Never "The Fall Into Time"
- Oneohtrix Point Never "Commisions II"
- Freddie Gibbs and Madlib: "Flat Tummy Tea"

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My turntable can't be damaged from being stored vertically/on its side, I assume?

It's packed away in its original box in all the original packing materials (styrofoam, plastic, etc.) in it's separate parts (base turntable, dust cover, platter, etc. all removed) but because of the size of the packaging I don't really have any choice other to stand it vertically.

It's been like that for a few weeks now, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging anything by doing so. If that's the case I'll need to figure someplace else to store it, as I definitely don't want to be stacking stuff on top of it.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I'm team nay

I mean, do it if it's your only option, but with headphones I prefer digital

Sep 12, 2018
I should make listening to records with headphones late at night more of a thing tbh, it almost weirds me out the way you can still faintly hear the music coming from the player with your headphones off though.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
I'm team nay

I mean, do it if it's your only option, but with headphones I prefer digital
That is the main way I listen to vinyl at the moment. There is nothing wrong with that setup.
I should make listening to records with headphones late at night more of a thing tbh, it almost weirds me out the way you can still faintly hear the music coming from the player with your headphones off though.
Yeah I moved recently and the player won't fit anywhere near my speakersystem. I don't want to pull cables all over the living room so I was thinking of a small corner with a pair of headphones instead. I also have a 8mo baby so I might aswell!

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Is it worth getting a preamp if I'm looking to buy an LP120X turntable sometime in the next few months? I'm no audiophile and I'm not even sure I'd be able to tell the difference with or without one, but if it's highly recommended then obviously I'll take a closer look into it. Any recommendations on a decent one if it is the ideal?

Also, what's an alright pair of floorstanding speakers too (not looking to break the bank, think the equivalent of £100 headphones like the M50X or DT990's)? I'd like to get some that I can hook up to both my player and TV.

Looking forward to finally getting a setup sorted after collecting records for a while now. Thanks in advance.

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth getting a preamp if I'm looking to buy an LP120X turntable sometime in the next few months? I'm no audiophile and I'm not even sure I'd be able to tell the difference with or without one, but if it's highly recommended then obviously I'll take a closer look into it. Any recommendations on a decent one if it is the ideal?

Also, what's an alright pair of floorstanding speakers too (not looking to break the bank, think the equivalent of £100 headphones like the M50X or DT990's)? I'd like to get some that I can hook up to both my player and TV.

Looking forward to finally getting a setup sorted after collecting records for a while now. Thanks in advance.

I'd at least start with the built in. If you find yourself wanting to dive deeper into things at some point, it's my understanding that the bypass on the newer "x" model is a true bypass and doesn't just go through the built in pre-amp like the previous model.

I never personally had any issues with the built in pre-amp on the LP120. There's nicer stuff out there of course, but it's more than adequate for the table it's attached to.