• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It tanked, at least critically. And while You re dead is one of the best records of its year flamagra is, in my opinion, one of last (?) year s greatest disappointments.

But it's a great deal if you enjoy it!
There's enough tracks on there that $9 works for me, but still I've been seeing these crazy deals on it for at least 2-3 months now. I wonder if they overpressed it and are now just burning off the remaining stock.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
There's enough tracks on there that $9 works for me, but still I've been seeing these crazy deals on it for at least 2-3 months now. I wonder if they overpressed it and are now just burning off the remaining stock.

Hey, not crapping on your deal. I think maybe they pressed gunning for you're dead or cosmogramma levels of hype and it didn't pan out

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up these. Gotta be wary next time I head to Amoeba Records. As an aside, anyone know of any good record-shops to visit in SF/Berkeley?

b2lrvJS.png

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't happen to be the case that anybody in here would be an Autechre fan and would want the NTS Sessions on vinyl? I bought when that was going to be the only way they released and don't need them anymore. Basically perfect condition

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rasputin was great, but I just saw they closed their SF stores which sucks. I haven't been to the location in Berkeley but I would check it out if I was you.
Yeah, I passed by it after going to Amoeba, but it was closed. I'll probably head up there again soon, and desperately resist spending a lot of money there.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought my wife a modest vinyl setup for Christmas, but now I'm totally into the hobby. Just picked up a copy of the 45 rpm Hoffman/Gray remaster of Fleetwood Mac Rumours and the sound quality is out of this world.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys new vinyl fan here. I didn't want to spend too much on the equipment so I cheaped out a bit, but am dissatisfied and considering getting something a bit better.

I've now tried Sony PS-LX310, Audio Technica LP120X, and LP60X. Sound quality is not too bad for me since this is just a beginning stage but I do notice the better quality of the 120X which I appreciate.

however I have a problem with all of these and it's what I think is called needle chatter. Basically I can hear the music from the needle. I know it's normal but maybe I'm extra sensitive to it, because I can hear it over 10 feet away with the dust cover on and with music playing softly. Am I just always going to have to deal with this as part of vinyl?

Also, I like the sound quality of the 120X, and don't even mind the manual aspect of it, but the styling is not exactly what I want. I want more of a simple look like the Orbit or a Fluance. What would be a comparable tt? Problem is I only paid $150 for my 120X...so paying 300$ for an orbit and preamp seems excessive..thanks for any tips!

Edit: listening to the Sony again and I guess it's not that bad if I don't focus on it. I think I read a lot of people have issues with these cheaper sets. Is this tt really that bad? What if I upgraded the stylus?

Last edited:

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
I have a budget setup (Fluance RT-80 and Edifier R1280 powered bookshelf speakers). I can hear the "needle chatter" you're talking about, but only if the speakers are off. I'm not sure if it's an issue addressed by better equipment or not.

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys new vinyl fan here. I didn't want to spend too much on the equipment so I cheaped out a bit, but am dissatisfied and considering getting something a bit better.

I've now tried Sony PS-LX310, Audio Technica LP120X, and LP60X. Sound quality is not too bad for me since this is just a beginning stage but I do notice the better quality of the 120X which I appreciate.

however I have a problem with all of these and it's what I think is called needle chatter. Basically I can hear the music from the needle. I know it's normal but maybe I'm extra sensitive to it, because I can hear it over 10 feet away with the dust cover on and with music playing softly. Am I just always going to have to deal with this as part of vinyl?

Also, I like the sound quality of the 120X, and don't even mind the manual aspect of it, but the styling is not exactly what I want. I want more of a simple look like the Orbit or a Fluance. What would be a comparable tt? Problem is I only paid $150 for my 120X...so paying 300$ for an orbit and preamp seems excessive..thanks for any tips!

Edit: listening to the Sony again and I guess it's not that bad if I don't focus on it. I think I read a lot of people have issues with these cheaper sets. Is this tt really that bad? What if I upgraded the stylus?

Not an expert on the topic, but I've always been led to believe this sort of noise can just vary from cartridge to cartridge. If you've got things aligned and setup correctly, probably not much more you can do about it. If you're spending lots of time listening at low levels like that, maybe get a setup for some headphones or something?

Sep 12, 2018
WrFykrh.jpg

R8c1azv.jpg

prro7Rm.jpg

My setup, both the PC and Switch go through that Denon amp too.

As for needle noise, I only ever really hear it if I'm listening at low volume through headphones.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
So I bought my wife a modest vinyl setup for Christmas, but now I'm totally into the hobby. Just picked up a copy of the 45 rpm Hoffman/Gray remaster of Fleetwood Mac Rumours and the sound quality is out of this world.
Yeah I have that, it's excellent. KG remasters are very high quality. SH is good but he has a whole fanboy culture behind him which I'm not a fan of.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I have a budget setup (Fluance RT-80 and Edifier R1280 powered bookshelf speakers). I can hear the "needle chatter" you're talking about, but only if the speakers are off. I'm not sure if it's an issue addressed by better equipment or not.
Not an expert on the topic, but I've always been led to believe this sort of noise can just vary from cartridge to cartridge. If you've got things aligned and setup correctly, probably not much more you can do about it. If you're spending lots of time listening at low levels like that, maybe get a setup for some headphones or something?

i think I'm also very sensitive to the noise. Plus I don't think it helps that I listen to a lot of edm, so the highs are pretty prominent and is where I hear it the most. Any good automatic turntables out there? I'm between the below sets..

1. Stick with the Sony PS-LX310BT for the Bluetooth and automatic conveniences. Does anybody know the cartridge in it?

2. Fluance RT80 or 81...

3. Uturn Pilot and phono amp. Is there a noticeable difference using a recommended budget phono amp vs a built in one?

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
i think I'm also very sensitive to the noise. Plus I don't think it helps that I listen to a lot of edm, so the highs are pretty prominent and is where I hear it the most. Any good automatic turntables out there? I'm between the below sets..

1. Stick with the Sony PS-LX310BT for the Bluetooth and automatic conveniences. Does anybody know the cartridge in it?

2. Fluance RT80 or 81...

3. Uturn Pilot and phono amp. Is there a noticeable difference using a recommended budget phono amp vs a built in one?

You're rocking the Audio Technica LP120X now right? Any of those turntables would more or less be a lateral move for you (aside from the full auto/bluetooth on the Sony of course). Can't find the specific stylus that Sony table uses, but it seems you need to replace it with whatever it comes with when the time comes. Having that flexibility to upgrade/replace your stylus or get a new cartridge on the 120/Fluance/even U-Turn is pretty nice if you stick with the hobby. You can swap some pretty nice stylus right onto the cartridge that comes with that 120x.

Noticeable difference between a "basic" built in pre-amp and an upgraded external... yes? But..all really depends on the rest of your setup. If you've got a "budget" setup, it'd probably be more worthwhile sticking that $100+ you'd spend on a pre-amp into nicer speakers.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You're rocking the Audio Technica LP120X now right? Any of those turntables would more or less be a lateral move for you (aside from the full auto/bluetooth on the Sony of course). Can't find the specific stylus that Sony table uses, but it seems you need to replace it with whatever it comes with when the time comes. Having that flexibility to upgrade/replace your stylus or get a new cartridge on the 120/Fluance/even U-Turn is pretty nice if you stick with the hobby. You can swap some pretty nice stylus right onto the cartridge that comes with that 120x.

Noticeable difference between a "basic" built in pre-amp and an upgraded external... yes? But..all really depends on the rest of your setup. If you've got a "budget" setup, it'd probably be more worthwhile sticking that $100+ you'd spend on a pre-amp into nicer speakers.
Good info, thanks! I was looking at the Fluance RT81 and it seems that even that one has the older model cartridge as my 120X, and would cost me almost $100 more. I will just stick with this one until I upgrade down the road and get a new house where I can put the player on display.

And I meant the preamp built into say my 120X vs a basic, ~50$ preamp I find online. Other speakers aren't really an option due to space reasons, but I'll just save my money for now either way

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Wow the used market for players is pretty great. Now I'm stuck between these two options, what would you guys pick?

1. Audio Technica LP120XUSB
  2. Pro-Ject Essential II with Pro-Ject Phono Box MM ($20 more than option 1)
I much prefer the styling of the Essential but don't know which one actually sounds better. Don't want to downgrade from the sound quality of the 120X

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the used market for players is pretty great. Now I'm stuck between these two options, what would you guys pick?

1. Audio Technica LP120XUSB
  2. Pro-Ject Essential II with Pro-Ject Phono Box MM ($20 more than option 1)
I much prefer the styling of the Essential but don't know which one actually sounds better. Don't want to downgrade from the sound quality of the 120X

The Pro-Ject has a nicer stylus and I'd agree definitely looks better. If you listen to 45rpm records often changing that belt back and forth is pretty annoying in my opinion though. Definitely not a deal breaker, that's a nice table.

If you'll notice one sounding better than the other will come down to the rest of your setup. I guess assuming both used tables are in good shape I'd lean towards the ProJect. Don't think you'd be disappointed in either though.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else own a copy of Charli XCX's "Number 1 Angel/Pop 2" on vinyl? I was looking at my collection yesterday and was shocked to see it selling for around $125.

Made me pretty happy that I ended up getting it on clearance all those years ago.

Sep 12, 2018
I have Charli on vinyl, wonder if it'll get the same fate then again it's likely a far bigger release overall.

Think my most valuable record was Stars of the Lid's Refinement of the Decline but it's gone back down in value after being reissued. :/

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Compared to last year this RSD is chock full of shit I want. https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/572

The Wildbunch (Electric Six)
Polaris - Pete & Pete soundtrack (I missed out on this a few years ago when my shop only got 2)
Virgin Suicides soundtrack
Gorillaz D and G-Sides
Spacehog - Resident Alien
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
The Replacements live album
Primus - Suck on This

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Nice RSD list. I might actually skip out on it this year.

Heads up to those looking for speakers, the Zu Dirty Weekends are coming back for sale in April. They are a cheap accessible way into Zu's product line for those interested.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up getting an Essential 3 on sale for $200 and am pretty satisfied. Not much needle chatter and a design that I want.

I went with a cheap Pyle preamp for now and feel like the sound is lacking in bass a bit. Is that the cartridge or the preamp?

Also does anybody have recommendations for a good cleaning kit? Or how to clean properly?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up getting an Essential 3 on sale for $200 and am pretty satisfied. Not much needle chatter and a design that I want.

I went with a cheap Pyle preamp for now and feel like the sound is lacking in bass a bit. Is that the cartridge or the preamp?

Also does anybody have recommendations for a good cleaning kit? Or how to clean properly?

Grab a Schiit mani for pre-amp if you are looking for cheap and dependable. Looking at sound issues always follow the chain from pre-amp-amp-speaker.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Grab a Schiit mani for pre-amp if you are looking for cheap and dependable. Looking at sound issues always follow the chain from pre-amp-amp-speaker.
I'm currently rocking a Sony soundbar as a speaker so I didn't want to spend too much. This is my beginner setup, bare minimum. I'm ok with the 15$ Pyle I got. I don't really have a sound issue, i just thought the sound profile I was getting lacked a bit in bass/lows vs the AT-LP120 I was using before it. So I'm just wondering what would play a bigger factor in the sound profile, the player, cartridge/needle, or the preamp?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently rocking a Sony soundbar as a speaker so I didn't want to spend too much. This is my beginner setup, bare minimum. I'm ok with the 15$ Pyle I got. I don't really have a sound issue, i just thought the sound profile I was getting lacked a bit in bass/lows vs the AT-LP120 I was using before it. So I'm just wondering what would play a bigger factor in the sound profile, the player, cartridge/needle, or the preamp?

Have you used the soundbar with anything else just for reference? What was the cart on the Audio Technica before? Sounds like you might not like the pre-amp but you need to find some references before nailing down that as the problem.

For your question on cleaning, just use a brush made for records and a stylus cleaner. Most mainstream record stores that are mom and pop will have vinyl cleaning machines and charge upwards of $2 a record for deep cleaning which is worth it versus purchasing the machines themselves that range in the thousands of dollars.

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Have you used the soundbar with anything else just for reference? What was the cart on the Audio Technica before? Sounds like you might not like the pre-amp but you need to find some references before nailing down that as the problem.

For your question on cleaning, just use a brush made for records and a stylus cleaner. Most mainstream record stores that are mom and pop will have vinyl cleaning machines and charge upwards of $2 a record for deep cleaning which is worth it versus purchasing the machines themselves that range in the thousands of dollars.
Yea I had the AT on the same soundbar so I'm just comparing to that. I believe that used the AT-VM95 cartridge and the essential uses an Ortofon 10. Someone recommended getting a vinyl vacuum to clean out the water after brushing it. Not necessary?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The cartridge could also not be tracking properly, ensure proper leveling of the table and cartridge alignment.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The cartridge could also not be tracking properly, ensure proper leveling of the table and cartridge alignment.
I'll check that but again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. It just sounds different. So wondering if upgrading the stylus or preamp is more important for overall sound profile

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
VinylEra I'm hoping for your help and wisdom if anyone would be kind enough.

Decided that finally in a spot where both want to get into playing records and have the means (and space!) to do. Spent a bit of time until now getting a good sense of what that entails including reading a number of posts here, on smaller forums and on /r/vinyl. As with anything though when you're outside the loop, getting a good sense for the entry is a little difficult so would appreciate some thoughts to the below. Also might be worth mentioning that my old man and I largely bonded over music when I was younger and looking forward to going through old records with him when he's round in addition to enjoying it myself. That plus the ritualistic side of it are what appeal and between that and my experience of records before my dad sold his turntable means I'm pretty confident that it won't be a pick up and drop thing. Especially in the sense of if I went in lower I would likely be seeking to upgrade after time.

Originally was thinking about the Audio Technica LP120XUSB but reading around wondered if a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Essentials III wouldn't be better for a bump in price? The AT seems more lay friendly but the Pro-Jects seem to be better regarded sound-wise?

but... then you seem to have the Technics 1200 Mk2 which repeatedly is heralded as the one to aim for. Which, looking around you can potentially get cheaper but there's also this one for sale below for £700 / offer.

With our team of highly professional technicians we are able to expedite exceptional quality turntables that are mechanically perfect as well as providing warranties for up to 3 years with every purchase of our Technics turntables. We are friendly and approachable and know our stuff because we have worked within the industry for over 22 years and pride ourselves on quality.

Technics 1200 MK2
Mint conditions please see photos.

Comes with :
New Ortofon om Pro s
New Technics Headshell
45 adapter
New Technics slipmat
Copy of user manual
Boxed
2 year warranty

All our turntables are serviced before dispatch.

Which makes me wonder that if I'm going to go for it, whether to just go whole hog with this knowing the reputation. If it's one that'll last and they're not sold anymore. Rather than looking for one further down the line. Obviously it's expensive but at the moment that's not as much of a weight in the decision as it might otherwise be.

So was wondering what the thoughts were for all that and the extras and what price you might expect to pay, and to see whether it is indeed the one to go for.

Also, I don't have speakers here so interested in recommendations there — appreciate how long is a piece of string type question so just honest advice on prices and how low is advisable to go while still getting a good audio experience. Preferably bookshelf ones no taller than like, the length of a rough forearm and hand or so? Unusual guide I know but hopefully get the sense.

Also if I went for <whatever you might recommend> what cables and the like would be required to set up and go. Never been into audio hardware outside of headphones to keen to get the links in the chain right and it seems to vary depending on the turntable.

I appreciate it might be overkill for a new entry but when the cost is less of a factor in this instance wondering what the thoughts might be from the wonderful people here. Appreciate any help!

TL;DR: The blue bits would be really helpful to know 🙏

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey, are you me? I currently have the LP120 and the Essential III sitting in my room, trying to decide which to keep. I've asked around and the Essential uses an Ortofon cartridge that is known to be less warm than the AT-VM95 in the Audio Technica. Both are equally noob friendly, though the AT has a lot more customization and features, most of which I would never use as a super casual listener. I chose the Essential because I preferred the styling.

As far as other stuff, the AT comes with a built in preamp so you only need to connect to a speaker with analog input. Easy. The Essential and the Debut require you to purchase one. You can buy a model with them built in as well for quite a bit more. Lots of options with regards to that.

I hear really good things about Klipsh(?) speakers that have a built in preamp. I think it's the RM120? I will need to look it up. Also Fluance speakers seem to get praised but it could be fake reviews I'm reading

What exactly is your total budget?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh hey, are you me? I currently have the LP120 and the Essential III sitting in my room, trying to decide which to keep. I've asked around and the Essential uses an Ortofon cartridge that is known to be less warm than the AT-VM95 in the Audio Technica. Both are equally noob friendly, though the AT has a lot more customization and features, most of which I would never use as a super casual listener. I chose the Essential because I preferred the styling.

As far as other stuff, the AT comes with a built in preamp so you only need to connect to a speaker with analog input. Easy. The Essential and the Debut require you to purchase one. You can buy a model with them built in as well for quite a bit more. Lots of options with regards to that.

I hear really good things about Klipsh(?) speakers that have a built in preamp. I think it's the RM120? I will need to look it up. Also Fluance speakers seem to get praised but it could be fake reviews I'm reading

What exactly is your total budget?
Thanks for the response and haha – certainly seems that way! I definitely understand the style preference of the Essential. That's good to know on the preamp parts and believe the Technics require one as well, so worth asking whether you have any recommendations there unless as you say, the speaker has one inbuilt.

Might sound somewhat counterintuitive but had wondered about spending less on the speakers because they might be a more straightforward component to upgrade later than the turntable itself, as someone with little knowledge and knowing the reputation of the 1200. Considering if it's worth the investment now just to have it as something gold locked down moving forward?

Honestly I don't really know what would be advised to spend for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers to start. If I went for the Technics would mean say speakers around the ~£300 mark to keep within around a grand, as some starting baseline? Depends how much people would recommend to spend on the cables and preamp (if needed) but if it's not significant (>£100) wouldn't disrupt those general numbers necessarily.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

The 1200 MK2 is an amazing beast of a table. They were built like tanks and were designed for hard use. If the site your purchasing from is reputable and you do some research on it and like what you see then its a great purchase if fairly priced. To make a short post, just getting started set a soft budget with a firm over/under you are willing to adhere to. If listening to vinyl as a start is your goal then a decent table that will last you a long time before upgrade, some simple speakers and a basic amp are all you need. If you already have a receiver then chances are you don't even need an amp and you can run everything through that.

If you have around 1k then a basic table such as project or orbit with enough wiggle room and some sales you can find Klipsch RP-600m or a set from ELAC, KEF in that price range and a cheap pre-amp such as one from Schiit and you have yourself a setup that won't change much for a bit.

I really would not recommend a budge of higher than $1500 unless you really know what you are getting into. A lot of people love to jump into the hobby only to realize it isn't for them and honestly money saved is money spent on music down the road anyways if you like the sound and setup.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the response and haha – certainly seems that way! I definitely understand the style preference of the Essential. That's good to know on the preamp parts and believe the Technics require one as well, so worth asking whether you have any recommendations there unless as you say, the speaker has one inbuilt.

Might sound somewhat counterintuitive but had wondered about spending less on the speakers because they might be a more straightforward component to upgrade later than the turntable itself, as someone with little knowledge and knowing the reputation of the 1200. Considering if it's worth the investment now just to have it as something gold locked down moving forward?

Honestly I don't really know what would be advised to spend for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers to start. If I went for the Technics would mean say speakers around the ~£300 mark to keep within around a grand, as some starting baseline? Depends how much people would recommend to spend on the cables and preamp (if needed) but if it's not significant (>£100) wouldn't disrupt those general numbers necessarily.

giphy.gif
I don't want to give any bad info because I'm just starting out myself, and I probably have different priorities. I just wanted something good enough for right now, and then will upgrade later on. For example, do you already have any speakers or equipment that you can use for this or are you starting from scratch? However I don't think you need to worry about wires at least.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I more or less think I know the answer to this question but I thought I would ask anyway.
So I have this vinyl player https://www.amazon.com/Record-Playe...s=wockoder+vinvyl&qid=1584672280&sr=8-1-fkmr0 , it's more a starter player and I envisioned if I really got into records and such I would invest into a nicer table (guessing at least $150?).

I've bought 4 records, all new off Amazon. For 2 of them they play pretty flawlessly. But for the other two (The La La Land soundtrack vinyl and The Stranger by Billy Joel) there's a good amount of skipping in the tracks, especially the first tracks on the outer portion of the record. Also on the La La Land record, the needle kinda slides across the beginning of the record a few times before settling in, so I'm guessing it's having a hard time with the grooves.

I've come to the conclusion that having 2 brand new faulty records in a short time span is pretty rare and it appears it's probably my player. Do you guys agree with this?