• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
KiNK's Perth EP is great too, and he has a jam with Kevin Saunderson that just premiered f

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Recorded this for a short Instagram video and decided to upload the full thing to YouTube: Side A of DJ Shadow's "Live! In Tune and On Time."

Not only does it feature the best mixes of some of his songs, like Fixed Income and What Does Your Soul Look Like, but I love how Shadow uses records as musical instruments, creates brilliant new music, then represses that back to vinyl :)

Recorded on a Denon DP-300F/Ortofon 2M Red deck.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
since I posted it in the BST thread, may as well let you guys know. I'm selling records from my collection!

I've got a whole lot of Music codes from the hundreds of vinyl I've purchased over the years.

Here's the Google Doc.

eC0nWS8.gif

I now also have VINYL for sale. This is all out of my personal collection. Everything has been run through a wet vacuum cleaning, shot with an anti-static gun, placed in a fresh anti-static sleeve, a new outer sleeve and tagged with info about its lineage.

VINYL

Just PM me if interested and we can exchange info that way. Paypal please :)

I do add pretty often to the vinyl list, so it's by no means final.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a used copy of I Walk The Line last during the week and am looking forward to putting it on tonight. Might have a whiskey or vodka on the rocks to go along with it. I got my wife into vinyl now & she picked up a few records herself. I am glad I have a partner in my weird hobby.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
If I have a theater room with a speaker setup and receiver can I just connect a record player up to it?

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so? I'm not really versed in these things. Unless there's one built in or something?

It's just like a regular home theater receiver, 7.2.
I'm gunna bet it doesn't have a PHONO line in. You'll need a separate phono device to hook your turntable to then bridges to the receiver.

Newer receives don't usually include Phono as it's "outdated" for home theaters.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
You can plug into the media player as long as your turntable has a Phono out.

dlPCkdr.jpg

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Oh man, not sure if I missed the OT in the other place but glad to see it here!

I got into vinyl only a few months ago. Got an AT-LP120, took out the built-in preamp (highly recommended if you have this TT and the ambition, really "opened" up the sound), built and use the Hagerman Bugle 2 as my pre and now I'm currently obsessing over cleaning my records.

I haven't quite gone the RCM route as I don't believe it's necessary if you have a vacuum cleaner at home. I've attempted to make hose attachments with painter pads, experimented with many different cleaning cocktails, and now in the process of finding some velvet and a surfactant (chemical) called Triton X-100. All in the name of getting rid of those pops and reducing that noise floor as much as possible.

As for records I'm collecting mostly rock (both classic and modern), some jazz, and a few from other genres (rap/classical/house/swing house/etc). Currently have Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on repeat, love that album so much.

Recently upgraded my stylus to a Nagaoka MP110, great upgrade at a great price point from the stock AT95E.

Glimpse of my setup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping these show up this week. While I have been waiting, I decided to pull the trigger on a few albums on my wishlist:
HpGLkjX.png

DypoRdY.png

I've also added more to my wishlist to keep track of any deals or records I may find in person. There's a mere 32 for me to buy. RIP my wallet.
7Kg99mG.png

it doesn't get better.

*discogs wantlist

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oh man, not sure if I missed the OT in the other place but glad to see it here!

I got into vinyl only a few months ago. Got an AT-LP120, took out the built-in preamp (highly recommended if you have this TT and the ambition, really "opened" up the sound), built and use the Hagerman Bugle 2 as my pre and now I'm currently obsessing over cleaning my records.

[...]

Nice setup! I also bout an LP120 a couple months back and have been collecting...
Speaking of setup, because I haven't much toyed with anything but stock components...sould you mind you elaborating on the swapping out the pre-amp bit? I've been meaning to investigate, but I have no idea how difficult it is or if I have the potentially to screw up my set-up. Really interested in doing it, however. Was it hard?

Also, good taste. Rumors was one of the first albums I tried out on my new TT. :)

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Nice setup! I also bout an LP120 a couple months back and have been collecting...
Speaking of setup, because I haven't much toyed with anything but stock components...sould you mind you elaborating on the swapping out the pre-amp bit? I've been meaning to investigate, but I have no idea how difficult it is or if I have the potentially to screw up my set-up. Really interested in doing it, however. Was it hard?

Also, good taste. Rumors was one of the first albums I tried out on my new TT. :)
So as you know, the LP120 comes with a built-in pre-amp. It has the ability to bypass it so you can use your own. Problem with this is that even if the internal preamp is bypassed (TT set to "phono" output) the audio signal is still going through the circuitry of the built-in, still influencing the output sound. To get the purist sound from the cartridge/tonearm out of the turntable people have suggested removing the built-in altogether or at least rewiring so the output RCA cables are connected directly to the tonearm. An output ground cable is also added since preamps typically require them, this is simply connected directly to a grounding spring in the unit.

All in all the process was very straightforward but might require a bit of soldering skill since you're detaching a cable from a circuit board. Some guides use a more brute force method and simply cut the wires and re-splice them with the RCA. I opted for the option to remove it somewhat cleanly just in case.

I mostly followed this guide which also has a great before/after comparison/analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NT67ii04uQ

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Hi peeps, I've got a cheap plastic Lenco L85, thinking of upgrading. Any advice based on the below?

I'm torn between the Denon DP-300F and the Audiot Technica AT-LP3 full autos. There aren't any other modern full auto models. Second hand higher end auto turntables aren't an option unfortunately due to availability and poor condition in the UK. Non-UK models needing a giant converter/step brick doesn't help either.

I've read that the Denon has motor slowing problems. Can't find a lot of info on the latter aside from some speculation that the innards may be exactly the same between the 2 TTs :/
Lastly, what cartridge would be the best for these entry level players? Would anything higher spec than a Ortofon red be waste?

Thanks.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hi peeps, I've got a cheap plastic Lenco L85, thinking of upgrading. Any advice based on the below?

I'm torn between the Denon DP-300F and the Audiot Technica AT-LP3 full autos. There aren't any other modern full auto models. Second hand higher end auto turntables aren't an option unfortunately due to availability and poor condition in the UK. Non-UK models needing a giant converter/step brick doesn't help either.

I've read that the Denon has motor slowing problems. Can't find a lot of info on the latter aside from some speculation that the innards may be exactly the same between the 2 TTs :/
Lastly, what cartridge would be the best for these entry level players? Would anything higher spec than a Ortofon red be waste?

Thanks.

I've been using a DP-300F/Ortofon 2M red setup for over a year, with hundreds of hours of playtime, and I couldn't be happier. Only truly damaged discs skip, and paired with Audioengine A2+ speakers and a subwoofer everything sounds remarkably clear. I'm not an audiophile, but I doubt you could find a better price-to-quality balance. The piano black version looks so sleek too :)

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you could go wrong with either table. personally I skew more towards AT since I have such a long history with their products and 100% satisfaction with the build and customer service they offer. A 2M red is a perfect cart to start with.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So as you know, the LP120 comes with a built-in pre-amp. It has the ability to bypass it so you can use your own. Problem with this is that even if the internal preamp is bypassed (TT set to "phono" output) the audio signal is still going through the circuitry of the built-in, still influencing the output sound. To get the purist sound from the cartridge/tonearm out of the turntable people have suggested removing the built-in altogether or at least rewiring so the output RCA cables are connected directly to the tonearm. An output ground cable is also added since preamps typically require them, this is simply connected directly to a grounding spring in the unit.

All in all the process was very straightforward but might require a bit of soldering skill since you're detaching a cable from a circuit board. Some guides use a more brute force method and simply cut the wires and re-splice them with the RCA. I opted for the option to remove it somewhat cleanly just in case.

I mostly followed this guide which also has a great before/after comparison/analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NT67ii04uQ

Thanks a ton! Gonna check this video out and maybe try my hand at this.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two of my records arrived today. Starting to worry about the ones I ordered from Fat Wreck Chords, as it's been a solid two weeks since I ordered them.

Anyway, I got to enjoy my 2 favorite Atmosphere albums today:
5ebHLIm.jpg

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to atmosphere in years. I met slug once at a suicide girls party yeaaaars ago. cool dude.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got some more albums in the post yesterday:
ZLpOJkp.jpg
ZLpOJkp.jpg

The Decemberists - What a Terrible World What a Beautiful World
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
The Decemberists - Crane Wife
Screaming Females - Rose Mountain
The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past
Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And a few more...
ebqgrtl.jpg

Nofx - Frisbee (Coaster)
Smoke or Fire - The Speakeasy
Banner Pilot - Heart Beats Pacific
Banner Pilot - Souvenir

My wife got some more today as well:
UnkHINt.jpg

The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
The Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven

I got an awesome CD sampler w/ the albums from Fat Wreck that has Trump in the style from their War on Errorism album:
FAqHIno.jpg

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have pics of the three Bowie boxsets together? I know the third one is kind of shit quality, but I'm curious.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a record Swap this weekend , really looking forward to seeing what I'll find.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
I started putting my records into discogs finally. about a quarter in with 92 done. also wild when a $2 record your friend gave you ends up being worth $30 on discogs

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have pics of the three Bowie boxsets together? I know the third one is kind of shit quality, but I'm curious.
Those sets are so cool but the price, combined with the snafu on this latest set puts them in the "probably never gonna try for" category. So much fucking music, though!

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more happier buying those remasters separately when I find a good deal. Especially since I own a bulk of them used already, but it's nice to retire those for fresh copies.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Are the issues with the last set the reason it is taking so long for the individual releases to come out?
Yeah there was complaints that the masters were poorly done so the engineers went back to work and fixed them and people are getting fresh copies when those are done that had already bought the box sets and individual releases are taking a bit longer.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...id-bowie-berlin-box-set-mastering-criticisms/

In terms of specifics, criticisms levelled include the following points:

There is a volume drop during the title track of Heroes at around the 2.50 mark

Low has a rather overcooked bass-heavy remastering which spoils side one, in particular.

Various issues with the Lodger remaster, including a similar increase in bass some tape/noise flutter being present and an incorrect fade-up on the beginning of Red Sails

Not everyone complaining has problems with all of the above, but there is a general consensus that given the status of the iconic track, the Heroes issue is disappointing and rather puzzling. The accusation is one of sloppiness; lack of quality control.

That's quite a bit of problems so I'm glad Parlophone is looking into them and fixing the problems.

You also can't fuck with Heroes. That's sacrilegious.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wife and I picked up a few records today:
2hMjHgd.jpg

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, & the Lash
Manchester Orchestra - Hope
Brother Ali - All the Beauty in This Whole Life
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth

I was super stoked to find Rum, Sodomy, & the Lash. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.
Also pretty excited to find another Manchester Orchestra album besides the new one. It only leaves the 4 preceding ones for me to collect.
The Brother Ali one is absolutely gorgeous. The entire packing on it is phenomenal.
Sturgill Simpson strangely enough comes with a CD, I guess. I can't wait to give this one a listen.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
I know we're all about supporting record stores in this thread but this reddit thread about vinyl sales is so good. Most are Amazon and Ebay but some are record stores as well. Either way, be prepared to have your wallet broken. It's constantly updated. I check it multiple times a day. Might be worth throwing in the first post of the thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/new/

Also, I just got the new remastered Band on the Run and it sounds incredible! Highly recommended

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, good to have you back, VinylEra.

I've recently bought a house, so most of my spending has been on furniture and DIY. All i've picked up recently is Chromatic's 'Cherry' (on clear vinyl to my surprise), The Twin Peaks soundtrack (the Roadhouse performers one, not the score yet) and Bjork's Post. NIN's Add Violence is in the post from Amazon.

Hopefully I can pick up my vinyl buying soon...

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there's a dedicated Gaming Soundtracks on Vinyl thread like the old forum but it looks like Spacelab 9 is going to release another set of The Witcher 3 soundtrack.

Last time I imagine the majority went to scalpers by the looks of Discogs. Hope there's a better chance to get one this time.

Does anyone remember the German/EU site that sold the soundtrack for Europe? Was it like Think Geek or something?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I know we're all about supporting record stores in this thread but this reddit thread about vinyl sales is so good. Most are Amazon and Ebay but some are record stores as well. Either way, be prepared to have your wallet broken. It's constantly updated. I check it multiple times a day. Might be worth throwing in the first post of the thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/new/
You...monster.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I did pick up an MOV copy of RATM - Renegades for $18 so it wasn't that bad. Not their finest record but my Rage discography is now complete.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I managed to get the reissue of Thrice - The Alchemy Index this afternoon. I've wanted the original for many years but I don't have £500 to blow on one album. Luckily the reissue looks even better and I got a copy for $80 delivered. I'm in the first batch too so I'll have the December issue, not the 2018 stock

So happy! This is definitely right at the top of my most valued vinyl purchases