• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
^ Nice! Glad you got one! I decided to grab it, too. Looks like these are 12" copies instead of the 10" that the original is on. Can't wait to get it and give it a spin!

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Oh? I didn't notice that tbh. I'm genuinely glad I managed to get it. What an amazing album/collection

Good to see you on here btw

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am new to VInyl. I have been wanting to get into it for a while so I thought what better time than Black Friday! It will be a casual listening device so I dont want to go too pricey. I have been reading reviews and this looks quite good. It is different from the one in the OP and google tells me there is a newer model out now but for the price is this good? Keep in mind these are Canadian Dollars so it would be cheaper if we translated to USD.

http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/catalog/product/307651-Pro-Ject-Essential-II-DIGITAL-B

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I am new to VInyl. I have been wanting to get into it for a while so I thought what better time than Black Friday! It will be a casual listening device so I dont want to go too pricey. I have been reading reviews and this looks quite good. It is different from the one in the OP and google tells me there is a newer model out now but for the price is this good? Keep in mind these are Canadian Dollars so it would be cheaper if we translated to USD.

http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/catalog/product/307651-Pro-Ject-Essential-II-DIGITAL-B
im not too familar with the digital versions, but the Essential line is trustworthy.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Nice thread. Don't have much and don't have a record player either lol but the allure to buy these was there..

XKe18xr.jpg

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, fresh thread, fresh pickups (over the last month and some change).

I2GSJrH.png

9WqlUNx.png

zgdcJeo.png

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Noel Gallagher's new album last night. If you're in the UK, HMV have Eminem - Curtain Call for £12.99 for HMV members

Actually, I may be wrong. It just says 180 gram, so I assumed. I guess we'll see when they arrive :)

Likewise!
I didn't even notice it was 180gr. I was too busy with "omgijustgotacopyfor$65!!!" to pay attention to anything else. Postage to the UK was only $15, which is incredibly cheap

Last edited:

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vinyl thread!!!!!!

All I have to add is that my favorite shop had $1 records for free today so I bought a few and picked up about 3 dozen records for free. Good thing no one else likes older stuff. :)

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get the reissue of Thrice - The Alchemy Index this afternoon. I've wanted the original for many years but I don't have £500 to blow on one album. Luckily the reissue looks even better and I got a copy for $80 delivered. I'm in the first batch too so I'll have the December issue, not the 2018 stock

So happy! This is definitely right at the top of my most valued vinyl purchases

Nice, due to their merch vendor messing up the release timing, I'm in the 2018 batch. Still glad to just be able to get a copy without needing to drop $400 on it. Also got the "green splatter" version of Artist in the Ambulance out for delivery right now :).

I just started really getting into vinyl this past month, and it already has its hooks in me lol.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Very nice. I have the white vinyl version. The splatter is nicer though. I've nearly completed my Thrice collection now. I just need Vheissu and Beggars now. Vheissu isn't too expensive or hard to find but Beggars is £150+. Maybe they'll reissue it soon

Identity Crisis - blue with black streaks
Illusion Of Safety - Black
Artist - white
Major Minor - white/blue splatter
Anthology
To Be Everywhere - brown marble

I've also got the Guitar Centre 7" and the Sea Change RSD release. And all of Dustin's solo albums. I'm such a fanboy

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I am in the clean out the clutter phase of my collecting life. It is both depressing and nice to get rid of albums that have just taken up shelf space for years.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is doing a Buy One Get One 40% off deal. Not sure when it ends as it says "Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) November 25, 2017" but is still working.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Someone finally solved that issue, now to have Kevin Grey master every album ever.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hey all, just popping in to say hi. I got my turntable and vinyl collection started this summer and I've been having a great time with it so far. I'm using a Pro-ject Primary turntable, Denon receiver/amp, and Fluance AVFR speakers. My biggest issue is having self-restraint when it comes to buying records haha, there's 2 record stores within a 15min walk of my apartment.

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
Finally got my turntable! Current system is a NAD D3020 connected to Audioengine P4B speakers. I opted for an Audio Technica LP120... loving it all so far. I also have connected my TV to the NAD D3020 and I noticed better audio quality even with the Xbox 360 intro sound!

What I love the most about listening to vinyls is that it provides an active listening experience, not just a passive one - it's not just background music / noise.

I've gotten the Life is Strange and The Last Guardian OST's so far, as well as some Yes, Genesis, Neal Morse, Pink Floyd and Blind Guardian vinyls.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Hey all, just popping in to say hi. I got my turntable and vinyl collection started this summer and I've been having a great time with it so far. I'm using a Pro-ject Primary turntable, Denon receiver/amp, and Fluance AVFR speakers. My biggest issue is having self-restraint when it comes to buying records haha, there's 2 record stores within a 15min walk of my apartment.
Me too. Also, I recommend staying far far far away from https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/.
Also, Vinyl Me Please has Demon Days up for members. Not sure if they printed a bunch more or no one wants then anymore.
It's still super popular and on reddit one of the employees said they're actively working to keep the stock up. Albums like these are probably why people are signing up for VMP nowadays.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Just snagged Mars Volta - Amputechture MOV release on Blue Vinyl for $20 under asking price. it pays to stay on top of discogs listings.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. Also, I recommend staying far far far away from https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/.

It's still super popular and on reddit one of the employees said they're actively working to keep the stock up. Albums like these are probably why people are signing up for VMP nowadays.

I'd love color releases of the whole Gorillaz discography, although obviously they would be less successful than Demon Days as they are all still in print.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
I grabbed Caribou's Our Love off Amazon for 10 bucks the other day. This album sounds incredible on vinyl and I can't recommend it enough. Really impressive

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Witcher 3 Soundtrack arrived this morning. So happy to finally have it in my hands. Really great presentation.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I want those PT reissues so bad.
Hoping they come to a US retailer at a reasonable price. I don't need the limited versions.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
If I have a theater room with a speaker setup and receiver can I just connect a record player up to it?

A few people already answered your questions, but, basically you need a turntable and a phono preamplifier which then goes into the audio source 1 or 2 in your receiver. Or if it's a turntable like the Audio Technicas with an integrated phono, then the output can just go in directly without a separate phono preamp.

Good thread, the "Advanced" section is debatable.

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
What are your recommendations for good places to buy vinyls!?

So far I shop locally at Sunrise Records (Hamilton, Ontario - Canada) and online with iam8bit (video game OST's) and Amazon. I also know Discogs and Burning Shed but haven't tried them yet. I'd love to have more options!

Thanks!

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
A few people already answered your questions, but, basically you need a turntable and a phono preamplifier which then goes into the audio source 1 or 2 in your receiver. Or if it's a turntable like the Audio Technicas with an integrated phono, then the output can just go in directly without a separate phono preamp.

Good thread, the "Advanced" section is debatable.
I basically built what I'd want as a future setup for the advanced section. Those parts are more of a jumping off point than anything else and also because I built the OP I had more of a bias when it came to products I've used or had the pleasure of demo'ing for a bit of time.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I basically built what I'd want as a future setup for the advanced section. Those parts are more of a jumping off point than anything else and also because I built the OP I had more of a bias when it came to products I've used or had the pleasure of demo'ing for a bit of time.

For sure, there's nothing wrong with that. IMO, specifically entry level recommendations should include more options otherwise it creates a very biased feedback loop, and also because there are so many great products within that price range so these manufacturers definitely deserve the credit. Either way it's good...I will create a stereo/audiophile thread soon where I'll recommend products within specific price tiers.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
What are your recommendations for good places to buy vinyls!?

So far I shop locally at Sunrise Records (Hamilton, Ontario - Canada) and online with iam8bit (video game OST's) and Amazon. I also know Discogs and Burning Shed but haven't tried them yet. I'd love to have more options!

Thanks!

What are you into? For typical jazz/rock and audiophile pressings Elusivedisc and Music Direct are good, they also have 10% off sales during holidays. And a lof of the labels sell directly, so that's also great. I love Nonesuch for Americana, folk and world music.

http://store.nonesuch.com/music/vinyl.html

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
What are you into? For typical jazz/rock and audiophile pressings Elusivedisc and Music Direct are good, they also have 10% off sales during holidays. And a lof of the labels sell directly, so that's also great. I love Nonesuch for Americana, folk and world music.

http://store.nonesuch.com/music/vinyl.html

I generally love video game music. Besides that I like Prog Rock, Prog Metal, Hard Rock... thanks =)

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I generally love video game music. Besides that I like Prog Rock, Prog Metal, Hard Rock... thanks =)
Prog and hard rock new issue vinyl you'll find at elusivedisc and musicdirect, rare, obscure, old stuff definitely Discogs. I'm not heavily into metal so I don't know of specific sites for that.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've been kicking around the idea of setting up a stereo system in parts, topped off with a vinyl record player and the ability to play compact discs and streamed audio as well.

I usually start at The Wirecutter for tech reviews and recommendations, and while I'm ready to dive in on their recommended Bookshelf speakers ($250 for a pair, http://a.co/iJKDjO1) all of their recommended receivers are designed for home theaters and video. Are there any decent inexpensive receivers primarily designed for audio that don't have a million inputs? At this point I'd like to be able to connect the aforementioned vinyl player, my old 1st generation Airport Express for music from my computer and phone, and maybe even some way to fit a CD player onto there, if possible.

Any recommendations?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I've been kicking around the idea of setting up a stereo system in parts, topped off with a vinyl record player and the ability to play compact discs and streamed audio as well.

I usually start at The Wirecutter for tech reviews and recommendations, and while I'm ready to dive in on their recommended Bookshelf speakers ($250 for a pair, http://a.co/iJKDjO1) all of their recommended receivers are designed for home theaters and video. Are there any decent inexpensive receivers primarily designed for audio that don't have a million inputs? At this point I'd like to be able to connect the aforementioned vinyl player, my old 1st generation Airport Express for music from my computer and phone, and maybe even some way to fit a CD player onto there, if possible.

Any recommendations?
How much are you looking to spend?

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try here. What are most of you using for a vinyl rack? Like to get something for my brother to hold/display his vinyls and only found some small cheap ideas on Amazon.

OP
OP
wenis

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I would advise against putting those kallax shelves on their side. especially with a full load without wood gluing all the joints and properly bracing them. I've seen horror stories of full kallax shelves coming apart while on their side while three quarters full and records getting wrecked.