Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The trademark mentions home video game consoles...but might just be standard trademark practice ? (I WANT TO BELIEVE). Currently Japanese Arcade Only :(

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7gfSabOP5w

View: https://x.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1728232043493142612?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/tmark365/status/1727084485571907759
Application date: 2023-11-14
Applicant: SEGA CORPORATION
Classification: Category 9 (mechanical equipment), Category 28 (toys) and 1 other
Products and services: Programs for home video game consoles and 160 others
OCR text 2: Vtb OnlineNET
Continued https://chizai-watch.com/t/2023126460

Last edited by a moderator:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So 2 and 5 are technically the only ones playable on modern platforms.

If this comes out - that would be three games, nice.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So Im not well up on VF in terms of popularity - but is 3 loved in the arcades enough for it to get this sort of re-release?

Hopefully a standalone home port shows up, else I'll just stick to playing it via Yakuza 8.

Also - damn the game still looks good... especially with how it handled uneven terrain etc. Sega always were ahead of the trend when it came to arcade stuff...

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I doubt this leads to a dedicated console port personally, but it would be great to see.

With Virtua Fighter 3's newfound popularity in Japanese arcades I do wonder if Virtua Fighter 6 is going to take another shot at slopes and such in the stages. Balance be damned, it was always a pretty novel concept. DOA was the last holdout there.

So 2 and 5 are technically the only ones playable on modern platforms.

If this comes out - that would be three games, nice.
VF3 will be in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Hopefully a collection is made eventually.
So Im not well up on VF in terms of popularity - but is 3 loved in the arcades enough for it to get this sort of re-release?

Hopefully a standalone home port shows up, else I'll just stick to playing it via Yakuza 8.
Yes. In recent years it has become the biggest VF in Japanese arcades.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Sega has been pushing the VF franchise a lot this past years. VF5 is easily one of the most supported fighting game in japan competitive wise.
At this point, VF6 is definitely happening. The question is more when it will be announced. The franchise turns 30 next month so maybe sega will drop the announcement there.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Nice to see VF3 getting some love!

Still my favourite in the series, I loved the way the uneven ground affected the fights.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this actually has a shot at a Switch port. I mean heck, every entry bar the redone Dragon Engine version of 5 recently should be cake on Switch. A collection of all five games would be divine. Capcom and DE did it with I think every 2D SF pre-4, you're just gonna take that lying down Sega HUH? :P

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
I remember that HUUUGE cabinet at Pinball land in Toronto. The machine always had people ready to play. Takarashii was so much fun those early days.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
God, VF3 was so disappointing to me. But it's so goddamn weird and different that it loops back to at least a curiosity for me, why the fuck not lol

Jul 22, 2022
It's funny that I knew almost every move of every VF3 character just playing/training Fighter Megamix back in the day but never really played proper VF3tb on Dreamcast.
I hope this get a console port. I just want an active VF online community like those days with vanilla VF5 on Xbox 360 or more recently VF5US

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe this actually has a shot at a Switch port. I mean heck, every entry bar the redone Dragon Engine version of 5 recently should be cake on Switch. A collection of all five games would be divine. Capcom and DE did it with I think every 2D SF pre-4, you're just gonna take that lying down Sega HUH? :P
For as negative as RGG is of the concept of Like a Dragon titles on Nintendo platforms, I guarantee you they are significantly more against bringing Virtua Fighter to those platforms. Legitimately everything with the title Virtua that has been on Nintendo consoles (mostly GameCube) have flopped bad. Like, dramatically so.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
For as negative as RGG is of the concept of Like a Dragon titles on Nintendo platforms, I guarantee you they are significantly more against bringing Virtua Fighter to those platforms. Legitimately everything with the title Virtua that has been on Nintendo consoles (mostly GameCube) have flopped bad. Like, dramatically so.
Why'd they bother with Virtua Racing on Switch then? That seems odd.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Why'd they bother with Virtua Racing on Switch then? That seems odd.
A lot of that team pushed for ports of Model 1 games for a long time and that was the least intensive one.

Would not read too much into the overall selection of ports there, quite a few were just games the devs wanted to have modern versions of themselves. For example, even in Japan Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R has no major following.

Oct 26, 2017
Now that you mention it, isn't that literally just Virtua Quest? I have to assume that bombed everywhere. And again, VQ was the one and only Virtua game outside I guess unrelated sport games by Smilebit (funny enough said folks would form Sega Sports R&D and create the Mario & Sonic series).

Edit: Oh forgot Virtua Racing on Switch! My bad. :P

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Is 3TB on Dreamcast at all like the arcade version? Iirc reviews at the time were down on it.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega has been pushing the VF franchise a lot this past years. VF5 is easily one of the most supported fighting game in japan competitive wise.
At this point, VF6 is definitely happening. The question is more when it will be announced. The franchise turns 30 next month so maybe sega will drop the announcement there.

Wonder what they would do with it honestly. Just add new characters? Because the VF team is within RGG Stdio these days, I wonder how that effects things

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's been more than two decades at this point. Really?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega Ages on Switch should have had the M2 ports plus the AM port work of the Yakuza titles

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's been more than two decades at this point. Really?
Considering its been a decade since Yakuza was released on the Wii U and bombed spectacularly, its very clear that RGGS hold a grudge over that whole thing (hence no older Yakuza games on Switch), so yeah I can well believe that they are still sore over something that happened 20 years back!

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I will be in my local arcade the SECOND this shit goes live BAYBEE

Also it's weird to see this because I thought Japanese people freaking hated VF3 and think it's kusoge lol

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Now that you mention it, isn't that literally just Virtua Quest? I have to assume that bombed everywhere. And again, VQ was the one and only Virtua game outside I guess unrelated sport games by Smilebit (funny enough said folks would form Sega Sports R&D and create the Mario & Sonic series).

Edit: Oh forgot Virtua Racing on Switch! My bad. :P
Beach Spikers: Virtua Beach Volleyball, two versions of Virtua Striker (one famously has Sonic Adventure 2 characters playable), Virtua Tennis 2009, several GBA titles. AFAIK some of those sold better on N-Gage than GBA somehow which makes no sense but does explain why they continued on PSP and even Vita but not Nintendo DS. There is also Virtua Fighter 2 MD on Wii Virtual Console, but not even the biggest VF fans defend that game so it should not be considered.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019

kevin-garnett-uncut-gems.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't see why. Virtua Fighter was nonexistent in arcades in Japan last I checked, and Sega are scaling back their own locations. Also, why 3? If they really want an online VF, why not port Ultimate Showdown back to arcades, and maybe in the process actually add rollback to benefit the home version too? Aside from the tech being really exciting 27 years ago, there's very little reason to go back to 3 now (as someone who owns a VF3 cab but sold off the game itself).

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
I just don't see why. Virtua Fighter was nonexistent in arcades in Japan last I checked, and Sega are scaling back their own locations. Also, why 3? If they really want an online VF, why not port Ultimate Showdown back to arcades, and maybe in the process actually add rollback to benefit the home version too? Aside from the tech being really exciting 27 years ago, there's very little reason to go back to 3 now (as someone who owns a VF3 cab but sold off the game itself).
The reasons they have given are that VF3tb is considered different enough to complement VF2 or VF5US (which, by the way, already had an online arcade version). Another factor has been the popularity of this installment in recent years; it seems there are usually quite numerous tournaments in Japan in places like Mikado.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It apparently uses the model 3 emulator developped by one lone programmer from RGG studio who spent years on it.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
It apparently uses the model 3 emulator developped by one lone programmer from RGG studio who spent years on it.

More accurately it was developed by the same person/team that developed the 360 versions of Virtual-On rather than RGG staff, while doing it on off hours/on the side. No way Sega would employ a dev that spends years on porting arcade games as his main job.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Well holy shit. If they port this to consoles I will get this day 1. It was one of the very first games I played on Dreamcast, good memories.

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah, Sega confirmed it's an Arcade exclusive.

View: https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1728232043493142612?t=LUFu3I2I8FNEaf_U96x8Uw&s=19

Oh well, at least the game is included on the next Yakuza game.

That's Takenobu Mitsuyoshi voice is it?

Just legendary stuff, bless this programmer T_T
v3tbquotez2i9e.jpg

From here: https://cohost.org/gosokkyu/post/3653837-virtua-fighter-produ

God give me Scud race with the licensed cars removed hnngh

God bless that lengendary programmer.