• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Virtua Fighter 6 Era wants would probably hit 1m sales at best. I think Smash Ultimate has sold more copies in one month than the whole VF franchise to date. If anything this series needs a hard reboot and it's only chance to compete in the market is to blow everything else out of the water by living up to it's name - go big or go home. I lol pretty hard when people call VF a fighting simulator...I've never seen crouch-punching or people hanging in the air for seconds in real life or in movies. A new Virtua Fighter needs to find a brand new balance between realism and flashiness - that's the only usp that is currently left on the market....think of the UFC games but with the fg tradition of having unique fighting styles.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Console sales were never the biggest draw for VF, it made most of it's money in arcades. And it dominated there.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
What can I say? I play virtua fighter because I like virtua fighter. I like no supers, no rage meters, it's weird sense of humor, and how it plays. I also like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown and really almost every fighting game. I am okay with no more Virtua Fighter if that means losing what makes it special, and I am okay with it not appealing to everyone, because it never has, and it never has affected my enjoyment.

Not every game needs to be for everyone.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What can I say? I play virtua fighter because I like virtua fighter. I like no supers, no rage meters, it's weird sense of humor, and how it plays. I also like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown and really almost every fighting game. I am okay with no more Virtua Fighter if that means losing what makes it special, and I am okay with it not appealing to everyone, because it never has, and it never has affected my enjoyment.

Pretty much.

If someone wants something completely different then they should play another fighting game.

If Sega decides to make something completely different then might as well make a new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
If NetherRealm Studios made a 2D version of Virtua Fighter the way the studio is currently producing content it would sell no less that 6 million units. I say this Hilbert to get you to think outside the box.
This is not being controversial, this is being speculative as hell.

VF has stellar graphics, huge single player content and a bunch of unlockables. What would NRS bring to the table that is for sure a million seller, besides their own name at this point? Don't say "story mode". A high budget story mode doesn't sell because it has a story, it sells because it is single player content with a high level production. 'cause, you know, it's not like SC6 sold six million copies with its story mode, nor was it because of the compelling narrative in its campaign that Smash Ultimate sold well.

What would NRS do, exactly, then? Put in daily towers in VF?

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
This is not being controversial, this is being speculative as hell.

VF has stellar graphics, huge single player content and a bunch of unlockables. What would NRS bring to the table that is for sure a million seller, besides their own name at this point? Don't say "story mode". A high budget story mode doesn't sell because it has a story, it sells because it is single player content with a high level production. 'cause, you know, it's not like SC6 sold six million copies with its story mode, nor was it because of the compelling narrative in its campaign that Smash Ultimate sold well.

What would NRS do, exactly, then? Put in daily towers in VF?

Smash sells well based on legacy. Do you know how legacy is built? Story! Every character in Smash has a backstory and a narrative that predates Smash!

Even DBZ Fighterz sells a great part due to its legacy.

To say story with real production values doesn't sell it asinine. NRS would do a total makeover of the property.

With Virtua Fighter's base roster NRS could turn this vanilla property around.

SC6 has a poverty story mode and relatively flat anime inspired characterizations. NRS could make that sell 8 million with the inclusion of real violence and dismemberment. I've been campaigning for a NetherRealm take on Ninja Scroll for years.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Well, when I proposed differentiating VF6 by meaty gritty martial arts cinematic animation, I certainly wasn't envisioning friggin' NRS ultraviolence lol.

I just meant making hits look like from The Raid or a Donnie Yen or a Tony Jaa movie.

If VF6 were to double down on it's exemplary animation quality in a certain way, that would be supposed flash the series needs. I honestly believe this.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, when I proposed differentiating VF6 by meaty gritty martial arts cinematic animation, I certainly wasn't envisioning friggin' NRS ultraviolence lol.

I just meant making hits look like from The Raid or a Donnie Yen or a Tony Jaa movie.

If VF6 were to double down on it's exemplary animation quality in a certain way, that would be supposed flash the series needs. I honestly believe this.
That's what I'm talking about. If one 3D fg breaks out of the traditional animation scheme and mimicks martial arts movie animation - that will turn some heads for sure.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can't believe the posts about NRS working on VF were serious. If there's one studio that shouldn't get anywhere near VF it's NRS, I don't want VF6 to have janky-ass animations and a horrible feel to play.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I can't believe the posts about NRS working on VF were serious. If there's one studio that shouldn't get anywhere near VF it's NRS, I don't want VF6 to have janky-ass animations and a horrible feel to play.

Virtua Fighter is so sterile it died with those amazing animations. Virtua Fighter wishes it had 10% of NetherRealms sales.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
It's not an either or situation here. VF arguably could use some sort of sprucing up aesthetically to get more mainstream attention, but NRS isn't the only option.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That game was destined to failed from its inception. Street Fighter almost died in that decade too.

That game was a dirty "2D spin off" cash grab, capitalizing on VF success, outsourced to another dev, which is exactly the same you are proposing but in your case you want VF to capitalize on NRS success on another series...

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Virtua Fighter is so sterile it died with those amazing animations. Virtua Fighter wishes it had 10% of NetherRealms sales.
y8Ea8jB.gif

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who think NRS should make VF clearly doesn't care about VF or just Fighting games in general.

Lol just because their shit sells well lets not pretend they are some top tier dev that can turn any FG around.

Pretty much.

If someone wants something completely different then they should play another fighting game.

If Sega decides to make something completely different then might as well make a new IP.

Yea true. I don't think VF has a strong brand name anymore so if you are going to rework the game , might as well create a new IP.

If anything changing the existing formula drastically will only cause negative PR.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather a series "die" than for it to carry on with dog shit gameplay.
NRS games sell well but I don't see any of the older ones being played years from now.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Congratulations, you earned the worst post award, but also the best troll award.
I'm sorry but I must give my award to someone else. I did good work but this is another level.

Smash sells well based on legacy. Do you know how legacy is built? Story! Every character in Smash has a backstory and a narrative that predates Smash!

Even DBZ Fighterz sells a great part due to its legacy.

To say story with real production values doesn't sell it asinine. NRS would do a total makeover of the property.

With Virtua Fighter's base roster NRS could turn this vanilla property around.

SC6 has a poverty story mode and relatively flat anime inspired characterizations. NRS could make that sell 8 million with the inclusion of real violence and dismemberment. I've been campaigning for a NetherRealm take on Ninja Scroll for years.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord, an NRS developed Virtua fighter was a serious proposal? That's insane.
Yeah. I'm surprised that's even a serious proposal. Story mode and gore in VF? Wtf

VF needs support. It core mechanic is fantastic. SP content was wonderful in VF4 and VF5. I can see the appeal in story modes though, even if I find them a cringe fest even in MK games.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Its hilarious people think if NRS develops a game , suddenly it will have insane production values and budget.

You know that shit comes from WB right ?

In this case , why would Sega spend millions of dollars to give it to NRS and not do it themselves ? If they truly wanted a "Big budget" they have the technology and the developers. They have teams like the Yakuza dev team who create far more interesting stories and plots than w/e the fuk NRS does with its 3 hour time wasters. MK9 was the only decent story they had and even that had many fuck ups.

And yea awesome job comparing VF5 to a 2019 MK game. Maybe compare it to a similar time frame ?

Virtua Fighter looked like this

When NRS games were like this

But hey NRS will just work their "magic" right.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Giving VF to Netherrealm of all the fighting game studios to give it "more personality" it's absolutely not what I had in mind when I posted that I found VF kinda bland lol

SEGA is perfectly capable of making a charming and cool Virtua Fighter full of personality. They just need to do it. The MMA angle seems like something right up the series alley. Although it might look a little silly to sell it as a MMA-lite game considering the juggling systems.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

I can co-sign this 100%. If VF coming back means adopting all these awful current trends then I would rather it stay dead and live on in our memories.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. There would be no point of a VF6 that has little resemblance to what VF even was. We may as well just go off and play Tekken, DOA or whatever anyway in that case.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Its hilarious people think if NRS develops a game , suddenly it will have insane production values and budget.

You know that shit comes from WB right ?

In this case , why would Sega spend millions of dollars to give it to NRS and not do it themselves ? If they truly wanted a "Big budget" they have the technology and the developers. They have teams like the Yakuza dev team who create far more interesting stories and plots than w/e the fuk NRS does with its 3 hour time wasters. MK9 was the only decent story they had and even that had many fuck ups.

And yea awesome job comparing VF5 to a 2019 MK game. Maybe compare it to a similar time frame ?

Virtua Fighter looked like this

When NRS games were like this

But hey NRS will just work their "magic" right.

You talking all that trash and I bet you MKvsDC Universe most likely outsold Virtua Fighter 5 by a country mile.