• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since we're all sharing bad ideas here, here's mine:

Sega should do a budget Virtua Fighter.

Not Virtua Fighter 6, but a Virtua Fighter Classic. Modern gameplay and animations, but blocky Virtua Fighter 2-style graphics in high resolution with cleaner textures and bright colors (especially the AM2 blue sky).

Play up the nostalgia. Play up the legacy. Sell it for $20 or $30. Optimize it for Switch, but release it on everything.

Goddamn it hire this man Sega

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Guys if you want the natural evolution of VF, there's DOA6 for you, secretly the best fighter of this gen

AmbitiousUnripeChupacabra-max-1mb.gif

Unsophisticated nerds only look at the surface, me a cultured man sees the deep fighting game within, DOA was always a faster, flashier VF.

Just re-release VF5 Final Showdown
No, we want a new, modern game. Re-releasing old ass games don't solve nothing.

Virtua Fighter needs a complete overhaul in everything except the gameplay. Does anybody really care about the saga surrounding J6? Would anyone really prefer the corny characterization of the cast over anything else? Did the last soundtrack slap?
Yeah, basically VF's 3rd Strike moment.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Guys if you want the natural evolution of VF, there's DOA6 for you, secretly the best fighter of this gen

Unsophisticated nerds only look at the surface, me a cultured man sees the deep fighting game within, DOA was always a faster, flashier VF.

Tbh I'm pessimist about Sega making a new Virtua Fighter but a re-release of VF5 Final Showdown could be a good step to test FGC audience

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I see a certain MK lover is banned (rightfully) yet again. Is there no limit to how many times someone can be banned before it's made permanent? Just curious. He seems to be banned every other week.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
He's banned? I can come back to the thread!

I hope when VF6 comes to be or a rereleased of 5fs that we can get full crossplay across platforms. I can still get games nightly on xbox live,(I ranked up recently) if all the systems get combined the game will last forever, no matter how small the core fanbase is.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Except with the ability to get out of combos at every turn.
And shitty sidesteps.
And no way to escape throws.
And nothing plus on block.
And the only way to punish things being with throws.
And terrible loli kids in swimsuits.

DoA6 is a trash fighter with ideas so cobbled on that they're having to put band-aids on them because the game isn't designed around the things they've added.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
He's banned? I can come back to the thread!

I hope when VF6 comes to be or a rereleased of 5fs that we can get full crossplay across platforms. I can still get games nightly on xbox live,(I ranked up recently) if all the systems get combined the game will last forever, no matter how small the core fanbase is.
They're talking about battleborn (who has his own history of crapping on everything in favor of MK/NRS, mind you), not Cyber Caesar.

I would love a VF revival of some kind for PC and/or current gen consoles but I have a PS3 still so no rush on my part.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Except with the ability to get out of combos at every turn.
And shitty sidesteps.
And no way to escape throws.
And nothing plus on block.
And the only way to punish things being with throws.
And terrible loli kids in swimsuits.

DoA6 is a trash fighter with ideas so cobbled on that they're having to put band-aids on them because the game isn't designed around the things they've added.

Harsh, but fair.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

DOA6 is incredibly unbalanced and overall a step down from 5 IMO, and honestly it feels like TN doesn't even try anymore, other than just having a product to sell costumes. It's a shame because I can agree the core of the gameplay is really good, but there's so much stuff they seem to refuse to fix, and DOA6 feels the most rushed of the series.

Anyways, they have enough differences to have both franchises coexist.(although DOA fighting series seems to be headed to the same dark pit where VF is now).

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am one of the biggest Dead or Alive fans I know and follow more DOA players than any other fighting game probably but even I have a seriously hard time getting excited for anything in 6. It is disappointing in just about every way outside of the soundtrack (which is beyond excellent). If DOA6 was dropped by Team Ninja today it would never carry on any legacy like DOA 2, 3 or 5 has. I feel very confident in saying that DOA7 will not be seen for a very very long time even if DOA6 gets some seriously major QOL updates.

Part of me thinks a modern Fighting Vipers would do better in today's world than Virtua Fighter for a variety of reasons, but I also think there is a serious market out there for a more sensible 3D fighter that is not filled with goofy dancers, animals or anime swordfighters.

Something I would like to see is VF bring in more subsystems per character (like what SCVI does, but less obnoxious) while openly avoiding going for meter or supers. I think implementing something like a short cinematic touch to a final blow would be accepted pretty easily into the fandom though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I thoroughly enjoy Virtua Fighter. I think it has the same appeal as Tekken where it's Easy to learn, but difficult to master. I'd definitely pick up a sequel if it were to come out.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
They basically tested the FGC with SF30th that nobody bought. They tested us with the Darkstalkers Collection too.

SF30th came out last year or something , it wasn't a "test" or anyting. I think you talking about SF2 CE on XBLA or HD Remix.

Imagine if Capcom tested the FGC with a 3rd Strike port instead of just making SFIV.

They kinda did with SF2 and HDRemix. But I think SFIV was in development anyway. Maybe the performance of those two titles allowed to justify a bigger budget for SFIV.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
SF30th came out last year or something , it wasn't a "test" or anyting. I think you talking about SF2 CE on XBLA or HD Remix.

You thought wrong, homie. And bringing it up like a week later too. haha

Capcom is def clockin SF30th sales to see how much people really love retro SF, mechanics and aesthetics. Ultra SFII too.

Every time somebody begs for an Alpha 4 (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean), or an "HD remix" of one of them classic games, y'all should already know why you ain't about to get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Anniversary Collection 'outperformed expectations'

Re-releases of old fighting games seem to do pretty well. Capcom ones tend to anyway. Just make sure there's a retail release and you add some additional content like a gallery or museum mode, a sound test and so on.

VF5FS already works on modern hardware. Sega could bundle that with some additional content, emulated versions of arcade VF1&2 and call it a day.

Sega Ages VF would be good otherwise.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Re-releases of old fighting games seem to do pretty well. Capcom ones tend to anyway. Just make sure there's a retail release and you add some additional content like a gallery or museum mode, a sound test and so on.

They say that, but it ain't even sell a million copies and it's been well over a year, on four different platforms, so they must have had very low expectations.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
You thought wrong, homie. And bringing it up like a week later too. haha

Capcom is def clockin SF30th sales to see how much people really love retro SF, mechanics and aesthetics. Ultra SFII too.

Every time somebody begs for an Alpha 4 (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean), or an "HD remix" of one of them classic games, y'all should already know why you ain't about to get it.

Oh they definitely do that. I thought you were talking about SFIV , and 30th came out way later. But ultimately 30th anniv sold pretty well. Capcom said it performed better than expectations , same with USF2. I don't think 3SOE performed as great though , probably why the lack of 3S chars in SFV.

photogazuk

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'm pretty sure in the VF2 days I read an interview with AM2 that they were only planning to do up VF5. Seems that may have been correct.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for another one of those things VF4Evo did where you could play basically VF5 but with VF1 graphics.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
They say that, but it ain't even sell a million copies and it's been well over a year, on four different platforms, so they must have had very low expectations.

Honestly a million is hard to hit even for new fighters. Let alone something like SF30th which is just running Roms on an emulator.

The only retro fighters that hit over 1 million is HDRemix ( Which had brand new visuals )
and MvC2 which is super hard to find and hasn't been released for over a decade.

While 30th Anniversary is a great package , it honestly doesn't have something "new" or "rare" that people haven't had access to or something.
Its great for FGC folks who want an Arcade perfect experience , but for casuals its still games they already own. SF2,Alpha3 and 3S have had multiple releases until now.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
DOA6 is incredibly unbalanced and overall a step down from 5 IMO, and honestly it feels like TN doesn't even try anymore, other than just having a product to sell costumes. It's a shame because I can agree the core of the gameplay is really good, but there's so much stuff they seem to refuse to fix, and DOA6 feels the most rushed of the series.

Anyways, they have enough differences to have both franchises coexist.(although DOA fighting series seems to be headed to the same dark pit where VF is now).
The complete lack of effort put into the costumes in 6, not to mention people not being able to buy them individually for NA/EU PS4 anyway (which they're supposedly working on), makes me question whether it's even been good for that much to KT.
I am one of the biggest Dead or Alive fans I know and follow more DOA players than any other fighting game probably but even I have a seriously hard time getting excited for anything in 6. It is disappointing in just about every way outside of the soundtrack (which is beyond excellent). If DOA6 was dropped by Team Ninja today it would never carry on any legacy like DOA 2, 3 or 5 has. I feel very confident in saying that DOA7 will not be seen for a very very long time even if DOA6 gets some seriously major QOL updates.

Part of me thinks a modern Fighting Vipers would do better in today's world than Virtua Fighter for a variety of reasons, but I also think there is a serious market out there for a more sensible 3D fighter that is not filled with goofy dancers, animals or anime swordfighters.

Something I would like to see is VF bring in more subsystems per character (like what SCVI does, but less obnoxious) while openly avoiding going for meter or supers. I think implementing something like a short cinematic touch to a final blow would be accepted pretty easily into the fandom though.
As it stands, 6 likely won't be remembered for much other than being a regressive rehash guest starring Kula along with Mai again.

And even as someone who likes SCVI, I can say that it's just short of BlazBlue levels of character gimmicks at this point (I also like BB, but it is odd how so many characters in a 3D fighter have their own quirk, up to and including every DLC character so far).

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 3SOE performed as great though , probably why the lack of 3S chars in SFV.

3SOE definitely sold poorly, and they put a lot of effort into it. Their conclusion that people don't like 3S characters is wrong though. Urien and Ibuki are super popular in SFV, Makoto is at the top of popularity polls too, people just don't always show out for low budget re-release projects.

Honestly a million is hard to hit even for new fighters. Let alone something like SF30th which is just running Roms on an emulator.

The only retro fighters that hit over 1 million is HDRemix ( Which had brand new visuals )
and MvC2 which is super to play and hasn't been released for over a decade.

While 30th Anniversary is a great package , it honestly doesn't have something "new" or "rare" that people haven't had access to or something.

This may be, but Mega Man Legacy Collection sold over a million. Duck Tales Remastered did too. I don't think Capcom is really grading SF on that much of a curve because it's a fighting game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
VF5FS works without a hitch in RPCS3, a PS3 emulator.
Oh they definitely do that. I thought you were talking about SFIV , and 30th came out way later. But ultimately 30th anniv sold pretty well. Capcom said it performed better than expectations , same with USF2. I don't think 3SOE performed as great though , probably why the lack of 3S chars in SFV.
I dunno about that. 3SOE came out in 2009, I don't think it matters much. SFV did get three SF3 characters in its first year, but then nothing. Honestly I think they're saving Makoto for SF6 at this point.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
But Mega Men Legacy Collection sold over a million. Duck Tales Remastered did too. I don't think Capcom is really grading SF on that much of a curve because it's a fighting game.

Again Megaman hasn't had releases for so long. People want to buy it to support it , same thing for Ducktales.
If SF2 on XBLA,HDremix , Alpha on PSN and 3SOE didn't exist ? You can bet SF 30th anniv would have hit million or two.

We have had so many classic SF releases that keep coming out quite regularly.

The "selling" point for SF30th was mainly just here is an "official" collection of Roms running on an emulator.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Please let this thread die before someone suggests NRS doing VF again :(

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Again Megaman hasn't had releases for so long. People want to buy it to support it , same thing for Ducktales.
If SF2 on XBLA,HDremix , Alpha on PSN and 3SOE didn't exist ? You can bet SF 30th anniv would have hit million or two.

We have had so many classic SF releases that keep coming out quite regularly.

The "selling" point for SF30th was mainly just here is an "official" collection of Roms running on an emulator.

Classic Mega Man had two new games last gen. 9 and 10. It's hard to argue classic SF got more exposure last gen.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

VF5FS already works on modern hardware. Sega could bundle that with some additional content, emulated versions of arcade VF1&2 and call it a day.

Sega Ages VF would be good otherwise.
Tekken's Harada has mentioned in the past that he thinks there is not much of a market for retro 3D fighting games. Whether it is true or not, Street Fighter has a much more casual appeal and a stronger legacy than most other fighting games. Retro Tekken is a hard sell and retro Virtua Fighter is much harder than that still considering it has no modern presence beyond obscure cameos, so I rather they not risk it. I would personally easily get 200+ hours of use out of remastered collection too, so it kinda hurts to shoot the idea down.

With how poorly SEGA AGES games have been doing in Japan lately and how VF has almost literally no history with Nintendo platforms I think that would be an especially quick way to harm the franchise even further. I would love VF5FS on all modern platforms (especially with Steam - we've been requesting it for ages now), but what they need to do at this point is Virtua Fighter 6. Nothing else would be impactful enough.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Classic Mega Man had two new games last gen. 9 and 10. It's hard to argue classic SF got more exposure last gen.

Thats not the same games tho. I mean I understand that its not "Exactly" the same for SF either. But casuals aren't going to tell the difference between Arcade Perfect in 30th Anniv and just regular old PSN release.

Also Megaman got 0 releases between 9/10 and MM Legacy. The fanbase is hungry for games.

MM Legacy collection is to Megaman what SF2 CE or HDR was to SF. A long hiatus and a hungry fanbase will eat up retro re-releases to hopefully fund future installments.

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken's Harada has mentioned in the past that he thinks there is not much of a market for retro 3D fighting games. Whether it is true or not, Street Fighter has a much more casual appeal and a stronger legacy than most other fighting games. Retro Tekken is a hard sell and retro Virtua Fighter is much harder than that still considering it has no modern presence beyond obscure cameos, so I rather they not risk it. I would personally easily get 200+ hours of use out of remastered collection too, so it kinda hurts to shoot the idea down.

With how poorly SEGA AGES games have been doing in Japan lately and how VF has almost literally no history with Nintendo platforms I think that would be an especially quick way to harm the franchise even further. I would love VF5FS on all modern platforms (especially with Steam - we've been requesting it for ages now), but what they need to do at this point is Virtua Fighter 6. Nothing else would be impactful enough.

Sega Ages not doing that well in Japan then? I honestly wasn't aware of that. Damn that's a shame. I wonder what is going on there.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
Sorry for bumping this thread but sega if you are reading, why haven't you ported FS to pc yet?

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
My heart always skips a beat whenever I see any threads mentioning Virtua Fighter... Goddammit SEGA, why is Final Showdown Version B playable in Yakuza 6 but we can't have this thing released on the PS4?

Want to separate me from my money? Make VF a PS5 exclusive and I'll buy it at launch, even if it means having to get a new console to play it... That's how desperate I am.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a problem with Virtua Fighter 4 emulation. Maybe someone can help me.

Demul works fine with no glitches but performance on Kage stage (and only there) cuts in half with the initial camera orientation. If the camera turns, then framerate is fine.

I tested every Demul version (there are LOTS) without luck. Tested every possible little bit that can affect. It's not a low specs problem but something wrong in the emulation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's now officially past a million btw. Just took another quarter.

Sega Ages is underperforming in Japan but overperforming overseas. After VR went so well I could definitely see VF1 or VF2 included in a wave 2 of Sega Ages releases.

VF also has some representation in Smash (assist fighters, mii costumes, spirits) but the past native games are indeed pretty bad on Nintendo consoles (VF2 MD and Virtua Quest). AM2 at least is developing for PS4 and Switch now so those would probably be the likeliest consoles to get any VF releases from them.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
VF should be a showcase IP for Sega. Sales obviously matter to a point but it should be treated as the standard bearer in terms of animation, motion capture, fighter AI and martial arts representation.
It should be Segas Uncharted, in a way.