• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
What can I say? I play virtua fighter because I like virtua fighter. I like no supers, no rage meters, it's weird sense of humor, and how it plays. I also like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown and really almost every fighting game. I am okay with no more Virtua Fighter if that means losing what makes it special, and I am okay with it not appealing to everyone, because it never has, and it never has affected my enjoyment.

Not every game needs to be for everyone.
I can co-sign this 100%. If VF coming back means adopting all these awful current trends then I would rather it stay dead and live on in our memories.
Question:
What if it's "VF: [secondary title]"? Like SFAlpha "added" multiple level supers, custom combos, air blocking, etc to SF2.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Question:
What if it's "VF: [secondary title]"? Like SFAlpha "added" multiple level supers, custom combos, air blocking, etc to SF2.

If it's weapons or fireballs, just make a new IP. We know already that the Virtua Fighter name doesn't mean much, except to people that like it. So carrying the name onto something that's nothing like it won't help, and sucks for the fans.

Thinking of you, Shining Force.

I would actually love to see a Sega take on a 2d fireball esque fighing game. That would be cool.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar should make the next VF. Their games sell the best , so clearly they must be the best right ?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
SC6 has a poverty story mode and relatively flat anime inspired characterizations. NRS could make that sell 8 million with the inclusion of real violence and dismemberment.
I would've preferred Soul Calibur to stay dead if anything like that were to have been included in its revival.

Personally, I wouldn't want NRS touching any fighting franchise I care about, in respect to sensibilities or general feel/mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's weapons or fireballs, just make a new IP. We know already that the Virtua Fighter name doesn't mean much, except to people that like it. So carrying the name onto something that's nothing like it won't help, and sucks for the fans.

Thinking of you, Shining Force.

I would actually love to see a Sega take on a 2d fireball esque fighing game. That would be cool.
Well, I was thinking more of different styled mechanics on top of the traditional template, though it's not like I think more or less gauges would make a difference in reception.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I would've preferred Soul Calibur to stay dead if anything like that were to have been included in its revival.

Personally, I wouldn't want NRS touching any fighting franchise I care about, in respect to sensibilities or general feel/mechanics.

Every studio has a niche which they do best. I'm just making an argument that Virtua Fighter would be more popular in the hands of NetherRealm Studios.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have something in mind? A new mechanic on top of the traditional template seems like what virtua fighter sequels try to do.

Personally I'm waiting for someone to take evasion to another level.

If you watch a Jackie Chan movie for example you can get as much, if not more, enjoyment out of watching him dodging and weaving his way out of and around attacks than attacking.

In fighting games dodging is still pretty damn basic overall, especially visually. It's mostly just a side step or a back step in 3D fighters.

In action games God Hand came the closest of giving you the ability to dodge in real time, not just side ways and backwards but just with the upper body as well so you could dodge individual punches/kicks and counter them out of recovery animations.

So yeah, a more in depth evasive/defensive system would be very interesting and could add a kind of flash that isn't present in Tekken or other fighting games.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!

If you watch a Jackie Chan movie for example you can get as much, if not more, enjoyment out of watching him dodging and weaving his way out of and around attacks than attacking.

In fighting games dodging is still pretty damn basic overall, especially visually. It's mostly just a side step or a back step in 3D fighters.

In action games God Hand came the closest of giving you the ability to dodge in real time, not just side ways and backwards but just with the upper body as well so you could dodge individual punches/kicks and counter them out of recovery animations.

So yeah, a more in depth evasive/defensive system would be very interesting and could add a kind of flash that isn't present in Tekken or other fighting games.

I always thought it would be interesting to have a tai chi kind of character, where nearly everything they do is defensive based and turns the attacks back on the opponent. It might be stepping in Aoi's area a little too much, but I think something interesting could come out of that.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with having a more active defense/dodge system is how fast you'll require players to react while using them. You can dash, float, spin and weave around attacks in VO, GvG or even Arms because the attacks are long ranged and/or slow and/or have long durations. It doesn't work with flurry of punches like in a traditional fighting game, unless it's just an advanced option (like just defends/instant blocks/parries).

Even in God Hand you either have a very obvious cue to side step/backflip or you can "mash" weave following the AI pattern. I don't think that works (at least not for a deep system) versus another player.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
You can split up moves into major chunks. Aoi has a stance that will deflect mid and high linear attacks. Aoi can reverse almost everything as long as you get High Mid or Low right. Lei Fei has a stance that will reverse all Punches. It sort of like how when you think you are going to get thrown you throw escape and at random you have a 33% chance of escaping(better if you have been watching closely at how your opponent plays).
Stuff like that. But maybe that's just where Aoi should go instead.

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, this and advanced animations for blocking/parrying. They could take inspiration from Sekiro and have something like the old way of blocking by holding back/ block-button (safe) plus an active system (risk) where you press block at the exact moment to break the opponents posture then going into a reversal. I think one of the Arc games already does this.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Virtua Fighter is so sterile it died with those amazing animations. Virtua Fighter wishes it had 10% of NetherRealms sales.
You talking all that trash and I bet you MKvsDC Universe most likely outsold Virtua Fighter 5 by a country mile.
Every studio has a niche which they do best. I'm just making an argument that Virtua Fighter would be more popular in the hands of NetherRealm Studios.
What's up with your obsession with sales lol. Do you only like games that sell well?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Virtua Fighter is so sterile it died with those amazing animations. Virtua Fighter wishes it had 10% of NetherRealms sales.
giphy.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Take Vanquish for instance a fantastic game. I'd say it might be the best game Sega has made in the past 10 years. We will never get a sequel and do you know why?
Because it sold like shit. Should they hire NRS to make Vanquish 2 then? Or would that be a stupid idea because there's no correlation between quality and sales?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Kim-Jong-un.gif

Have you ever asked the question why Vanquish sold like shit?
Because it's a weird concept with no marketing developed by a company that wasn't nearly as popular as they are today

You're missing the point. Yes, if NRS made VF6, changed the gameplay and made it with a budget like Mortal Kombat's or Injustice's it'd undoubtedly be more popular and the best selling game in the franchise. It wouldn't be the Virtua Fighter the fans want, nor it would automatically be better than the previous entries (and seeing NRS' track record, I really doubt it'd be better at all)

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Would a VF by NRS even sell that well? Wouldn't it be seen as a MK ripoff or something?

Ultraviolence is kinda MK's thing. A 2D violent Virtua Fighter would only serve to alienate past fans and I don't see it having mass-market appeal. How do you even market that? "A new fighting game by the creators of Mortal Kombat that it's just like MK but without all those characters that you like!"

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Because it's a weird concept with no marketing developed by a company that wasn't nearly as popular as they are today

You're missing the point. Yes, if NRS made VF6, changed the gameplay and made it with a budget like Mortal Kombat's or Injustice's it'd undoubtedly be more popular and the best selling game in the franchise. It wouldn't be the Virtua Fighter the fans want, nor it would automatically be better than the previous entries (and seeing NRS' track record, I really doubt it'd be better at all)

The fans...The fans are only about 800,000 that will buy VF6 at full price, the other 800,000 will only buy VF6 when the game is on sale for $9.99. Sega knows this and that is why we can't get another VF in the style of VF5.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Cosigned. I tried to come up with a more offensive combination of IP and developer and failed miserably

That's strange because their last 5 games have been amazing. Pretty much everything they have touched since being acquired by Warner Brothers has been golden. I hope that NRS can either start to work on a new fighting game IP, or reboot an existing one.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man what the fuck is this? I come back to the thread and there are people talking about VF by NR studio? Fuck that shit, either bring back VF in all it's glory or keep it dead.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
That's strange because their last 5 games have been amazing. Pretty much everything they have touched since being acquired by Warner Brothers has been golden. I hope that NRS can either start to work on a new fighting game IP, or reboot an existing one.
They get almost everything right but the actual gameplay which is the most important part.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Man what the fuck is this? I come back to the thread and there are people talking about VF by NR studio? Fuck that shit, either bring back VF in all it's glory or keep it dead.

LOL. That glory died 12 years ago. Don't be silly. NRS would elevate Virtua Fighter to new levels or relevance and popularity. All of Virtua Fighter's characters are vanilla blank slates, NRS could at a minimum makes us care about these characters.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL. That glory died 12 years ago. Don't be silly. NRS would elevate Virtua Fighter to new levels or relevance and popularity. All of Virtua Fighter's characters are vanilla blank slates, NRS could at a minimum makes us care about these characters.
You want Mortal Kombat, go play that. NRS can't design a satisfying VF6.

Leave Virtua Fighters to the fans. I would rather it stay dead than come back in a much worse shape.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I would not call Virtua Fighter bland but it is true that I see some of the designs and they don't transmit anything to me. The ninja is ... just a ninja.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory community generalizations, Antagonizing other users; Numerous accumulated infractions
Why are the girls so mad at Mortal Kombat? LMFAO. Worry about VF ever coming back and stop talking shit about a legendary, long running, best selling FG series.

I think VF would need a ton of guest characters if it was to come back, their own charcters can't stand on their own in 2019.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I dont want NRS touching any franchise i care about. They can do their janky ass animations for their fans, but get far away from the other ones.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the girls so mad at Mortal Kombat? LMFAO. Worry about VF ever coming back and stop talking shit about a legendary, long running, best selling FG series.

I think VF would need a ton of guest characters if it was to come back, their own charcters can't stand on their own in 2019.

Who is mad at MK ? How old are you guys ?

NRS & WB showed the industry how to publish a bestseller FG on todays AAA console market, props to them.

VF is a totally different beast whose roots are in the japanese arcade scene first and foremost; coming here and saying that NRS would do a better job than AM2 is narrow-minded and almost a plain stupid way of seeing things.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Any new VF should stay true to the core of the old games otherwise it might as well stay buried. What's the point of a new VF if it's been mutated into something unrecognizable? Lol. Some of these f'n suggestions. Wtf. Smh

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Who is mad at MK ? How old are you guys ?

NRS & WB showed the industry how to publish a bestseller FG on todays AAA console market, props to them.

VF is a totally different beast whose roots are in the japanese arcade scene first and foremost; coming here and saying that NRS would do a better job than AM2 is narrow-minded and almost a plain stupid way of seeing things.
Who said that? I did not so don't quote me when talking about that. All I see is fanboys shitting on MK in a thread that has nothing to do with said best-seller.

You'd think VF fans would be more concerned and interested in talking about what a new VF would/should be like, than spending their time talking about MK.

Anyway, I'd but a new VF with guest character Terry Bogard.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Who said that? I did not so don't quote me when talking about that. All I see is fanboys shitting on MK in a thread that has nothing to do with said best-seller.

You'd think VF fans would be more concerned and interested in talking about what a new VF would/should be like, than spending their time talking about MK.

Anyway, I'd but a new VF with guest character Terry Bogard.
Do you have selected reading or

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best seller? Did MK outsell Smash while I wasn't looking?

Nintendo should make MK so the series can reach new sales heights. It should be a party fighter for all ages.

Last edited:

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Virtua Fighter needs a complete overhaul in everything except the gameplay. Does anybody really care about the saga surrounding J6? Would anyone really prefer the corny characterization of the cast over anything else? Did the last soundtrack slap?