• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I will still welcome if they "only" do a remaster of VF5 Final Showdown for next gen consoles.
4K,60fps with RT and HDR. Come on Sega. I want to play VF again....

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
A pretty hardcore VF fan tweeted a thread to me, basically saying that an esports push right out of the gate for a new VF would be on-brand because the series since VF3 has been very much focused on the competitive side, while the first three were initially meant to be technical showpieces (arcade VF3 looked freaking real in 1996 -- the same year as Mario 64, Quake, and Tomb Raider). They also said the VF series has been an arcade-first game for better or worse.

Also, not really related, but I kinda want a new port of VF1, or maybe something like that anniversary VF1 that's in VF4 Evo. A SEGA Ages VF1 would've been great.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
A pretty hardcore VF fan tweeted a thread to me, basically saying that an esports push right out of the gate for a new VF would be on-brand because the series since VF3 has been very much focused on the competitive side, while the first three were initially meant to be technical showpieces (arcade VF3 looked freaking real in 1996 -- the same year as Mario 64, Quake, and Tomb Raider). They also said the VF series has been an arcade-first game for better or worse.

Also, not really related, but I kinda want a new port of VF1, or maybe something like that anniversary VF1 that's in VF4 Evo. A SEGA Ages VF1 would've been great.

Think the most we will see is that VF 1 port on the mini arcade.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Even if this turns out to be nothing the excitement that it generated can't go ignored by SEGA someone there should have noticed.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, all fighting games have been arcade-first games...until they weren't. I remember thinking Super Street Fighter 4 would be an arcade-first update because SF4 Vanilla was in arcades for over half a year before it came to home consoles, but Super released like half a year before Arcade Edition was announced. Even Tekken 7, which was out in arcades for what felt like an eternity before the home version now is releasing characters first for home and the FR machines got the Season 3 content much later.

Unless you're pulling revenue like Gundam, a change is in order.

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you reckon this ties into the arcade cloud technology thing that was being hyped up a few months back?

I think it does absolutely. Spent some time researching it, reading the original Famitsu where the story broke, and listening to Nishikawa talk about it on YouTube. Makes sense that they would use their "Fog Gaming" technology for VF. As the equipment in the game centers may be largely dormant, someone in Japan signs into to the main server in a Data Center, then based on their proximity to the nearest arcade, the Data Center server routes them to the nearest arcade where there is a local server and they effectively stream the game from that.

Lines up with Haruki Satomi saying it will come "first" in Japan. Given the low latency and high-speed networks in Japan, it makes sense to me.

Oct 30, 2017
i might be grasping at straws here, but i find it interesting he has mentioned "looking back at competitive fighting games." that's got little to do with the other thing he has been working on:

Here are Yu Suzuki's responses for this year's survey:

Q: Your Keyword for 2021?

YS:
Shooting / RPG.
Q: Your New Year's Resolution?

YS:

1) Look back on competitive fighting games.
2) The sequel to...

Q: Status update?

YS:
On November 19th, 2020, Shenmue III was released on Steam and GOG. I hope that the New Year of 2021 will be a time for people to unwind at home and heal their body and soul with a relaxing game like Shenmue.
Q: What will you be keeping an eye on in 2021?

YS:
I sincerely hope that the coronavirus will be contained and that the Tokyo Olympics will be held safely and smoothly

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah

x0ZeSze.png

and with this I think we can confirm this is a complete new project built from the ground up. (I wasn't in doubt myself)
sounds like they will rely on their own engine like they used to.
interesting to see a foreigner working with AM2 and a fan too!

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017

x0ZeSze.png

and with this I think we can confirm this is a complete new project built from the ground up. (I wasn't in doubt myself)
sounds like they will rely on their own engine like they used to.
interesting to see a foreigner working with AM2 and a fan too!
The impression I get from AM2's recent work (KanColle Arcade, Soul Reverse, Fate/Grand Order Arcade, etc.) is that a significant chunk of the older talent who had a hand in making the older style games of AM2's past like VF4 or Fighting Vipers 2 or Scud Race have kinda hollowed out (Suzuki himself aside), so to make a game that will in all likelihood be closer to their early/mid-2000s output, it shouldn't be a shocker that they reached outside of their typical pool of developers.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Surely they're not building a new game engine from scratch just for VF, that seems kind of a waste of resources in this day and age.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
The impression I get from AM2's recent work (KanColle Arcade, Soul Reverse, Fate/Grand Order Arcade, etc.) is that a significant chunk of the older talent who had a hand in making the older style games of AM2's past like VF4 or Fighting Vipers 2 or Scud Race have kinda hollowed out (Suzuki himself aside), so to make a game that will in all likelihood be closer to their early/mid-2000s output, it shouldn't be a shocker that they reached outside of their typical pool of developers.
BORDER BREAK & Soul Reverse were both remarkable projects in the arcade scene. (Border Break producer also confirmed working on a new global project to be revealed this year)
AM2 still got the talents including the 2 key leads Makoto Osaki (producing Project DIVA & KanColle) & Daichi Katagiri (recently interviewed by Famitsu as an AM2 staff) who were both responsible for VF5 & it's iterations.
www.youtube.com

Virtua Fighter 5 - Behind the Scenes - AM2 Talks History

Virtua Fighter 5 - Behind the Scenes - AM2 Talks History - http://www.iplaywinner.com

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
BORDER BREAK & Soul Reverse were both remarkable projects in the arcade scene. (Border Break producer also confirmed working on a new global project to be revealed this year)
AM2 still got the talents including the 2 key leads Makoto Osaki (producing Project DIVA & KanColle) & Daichi Katagiri (recently interviewed by Famitsu as an AM2 staff) who were both responsible for VF5 & it's iterations.
www.youtube.com

Virtua Fighter 5 - Behind the Scenes - AM2 Talks History

Virtua Fighter 5 - Behind the Scenes - AM2 Talks History - http://www.iplaywinner.com
Apologies, I didn't mean to imply there wasn't talent (in the generic sense) left at AM2, and I know Katagiri is still around (and I think Hiroshi Kataoka as well), but my point was more that no one on that team has been involved in creating an original fighting game for at least 16 years, given VF5 originally released in 2005, and even its final iteration's release was over a decade ago.

Apart from Project DIVA and Border Break, which I'm very glad eventually got home releases, their marquee titles have also found themselves progressively divorced from the console space ever since the PS3/360 era--though, that is just a Sega issue more than with AM2, pretty much none of AM1 or SAI's titles have home ports either. To put it another way, I really want VF6 (or whatever this ends up being) to be as good as anyone else, but it seems fairly apparent to me that Sega's shifted their arcade dev pipeline pretty significantly, if in no other way than at least how the sausage is made, since the mid-2000s.

If Kataoka, Osaki, and Katagiri are all on it though, that is pretty re-assuring. I wonder if Tatsutoshi Narita will be involved as well; VF always has great soundtracks.

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure how interesting this article/interview with is with regard to VF Esports, but it's new and mentions VF6 at the end
Seems like they're just asking YS what he would say if Sega asked him to work on VF6, but the translation isn't great and I don't read Japanese (was retweeted by Sega's official Twitter account, mind you)

news.denfaminicogamer.jp

アストロシティミニきっかけで当時のゲーセンと『バーチャ』の話を聞いたら鈴木裕氏から「『バーチャファイター6』のお手伝いが必要なときはお声がけください」との衝撃発言が飛び出した【鈴木裕×原田勝弘×森利道鼎談】

今回の顔ぶれから、話題は格闘ゲームが中心となっている。かつての“あのころ”を知っている世代の方はもちろんのこと、当時のことをよく知らない若い読者のみなさんにも、かつてのゲームセンターがどのような空間で、そこから今のゲームに至るどんなものが生み出されたのか、ぜひ知ってほしい。

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how interesting this article/interview with is with regard to VF Esports, but it's new and mentions VF6 at the end
Seems like they're just asking YS what he would say if Sega asked him to work on VF6, but the translation isn't great and I don't read Japanese (was retweeted by Sega's official Twitter account, mind you)

news.denfaminicogamer.jp

アストロシティミニきっかけで当時のゲーセンと『バーチャ』の話を聞いたら鈴木裕氏から「『バーチャファイター6』のお手伝いが必要なときはお声がけください」との衝撃発言が飛び出した【鈴木裕×原田勝弘×森利道鼎談】

今回の顔ぶれから、話題は格闘ゲームが中心となっている。かつての“あのころ”を知っている世代の方はもちろんのこと、当時のことをよく知らない若い読者のみなさんにも、かつてのゲームセンターがどのような空間で、そこから今のゲームに至るどんなものが生み出されたのか、ぜひ知ってほしい。

I've translated the relevant section below:

"What's up with the next Virtua Fighter game?"
Interviewer: "Mr. Suzuki, you were obviously heavily involved in the development of [Shenmue III], but when it comes to Virtua Fighter, is there anything you think you'd want to do with it?"

Suzuki: "When I make any game, there's a few different approaches I might take; I'm not very skilled at actually playing video games, so I tend to think about taking a game someone like me might otherwise be so bad at they'd toss it out a window, and improving the UI and playability. That way you broaden its reach.

So when it comes to Virtua Fighter, ideas like going from 6 buttons [as in other fighting games] to 3, or adding a certain level of chance to whether moves will land or not are representative of that. Take a game like OutRun for example; it may seem like a high-difficulty game nowadays, but in its time it was actually one of the easier-to-play games out there. Earlier titles of a similar nature had your car blow up after just grazing a wall, after all. (laughs) We decided to instead make a game where even if you grazed a wall, you could still recover.

Whether we're talking about Virtua Fighter or Tekken, the more difficult you make the game, the more you narrow the scope of who can play it. You do that, and the average player age goes up, and it won't reach a broad audience. So if I were to make a new game [like VF], I'd want to make sure it was a bit more broad-reaching. Rather than remembering numerous complex combos, I'd rather have it rely on your decision-making ability. Like if your opponent moves in this way, you'll react in this way, that kind of thing. I'd like to make a game where you win by making the right judgment call, the controls are simple, and essentially, it just feels like the game moves exactly like you hope it would."

Mori: "That is a tall order to be sure. There aren't many fighting games that intentionally make you *feel* like you're skilled."

Suzuki: "So [is Sega] going to make Virtua Fighter 6 or not?"

Harada: "Actually, since you've mentioned it, that is definitely a hot topic at the moment. Sega announced Virtua Fighter x eSports last year, so fans are wondering what they're going to do."

Suzuki: "If they do make a VF6, I'm sure they'll take it seriously and release something proper."

Harada: "I go to a lot of tournaments, mingle with fans, and get up on stage every now and again. It's been especially nuts these past few years, but people will just come up to me and ask me to release a Virtua Fighter game. (laughs)

At first, I thought they were joking, but these people are absolutely serious. No one from Sega is at these fighting game events, so they just look for anyone they can find with connections and assume 'if I say something to Harada-san it'll get somewhere somehow', so they come to me. They'll even say 'I don't even care if Namco makes it, just please release something'. Like even in a Virtua Fighter x Tekken kind of context. There is an intense demand for a new VF game."

Interviewer: "Come to think of it, Virtua Fighter characters have made guest appearances in the Dead or Alive series, but none have appeared in a Tekken game, correct?"

Harada: "That's right. Though actually, there was a chance of that happening at one point. And it wasn't a discussion between developers so much as between the higher-up execs at [both Namco and Sega]. Sega said if Namco would port Tekken to the Dreamcast, they would be willing to license Virtua Fighter characters for the port. Those of us on the dev team got pretty excited about that, but due to a variety of factors it never quite lined up timing-wise."

Mori: "When Sega started releasing games on the PlayStation 2, there were big newspaper ads for both Virtua Fighter and Tekken, weren't there?"

Harada: "There sure were. Ever since those days I have still been thinking I'd like to do it, though."

Interviewer: "Tekken has seen guest characters from the Street Fighter and Fatal Fury (Garou Densetsu) series, so since characters from other fighting games have been joining in, one can imagine the fans see the situation and figure that if they reach out to you, you'll be able to pull something off."

Harada: "Sure, but personally I would still rather see a brand-new, proper Virtua Fighter 6."

Interviewer: "Why don't you and Mr. Suzuki just go to Sega and say 'Look, let's do VF6'." (laughs)

Suzuki: "Well, listen, if they ever need my help, I'd welcome it anytime." (laughs)

Interviewer: "Really? One can only hope [that'll become a reality], but we'll leave it there for now. A big thank you to everyone for taking the time for this today!"

Essentially, none of them seem to hint at anything regarding the actual development, real or not, of any new Virtua Fighter game. Which would make sense, seeing as Suzuki wasn't the director/producer/etc. of VF5 anyway.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a great retrospective on arcades and the original Virtua Fighters in arcades, as well as the efforts that Sega made with community events that made VF such a monster in Japanese arcades, and the stories of bunbunmaru/shinjuku jacky were pre-modern esports story.

It's a bit sad to hear that Yu Suzuki wasn't that much across what was happening there as he was mostly focused on VF1-3, the console ports and then Shenmue. Hopefully Sega can do something about VF esports since the 3D fighting genre is pretty much Harada/Bandai Namco's space now with Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
That was a great retrospective on arcades and the original Virtua Fighters in arcades, as well as the efforts that Sega made with community events that made VF such a monster in Japanese arcades, and the stories of bunbunmaru/shinjuku jacky were pre-modern esports story.

It's a bit sad to hear that Yu Suzuki wasn't that much across what was happening there as he was mostly focused on VF1-3, the console ports and then Shenmue. Hopefully Sega can do something about VF esports since the 3D fighting genre is pretty much Harada/Bandai Namco's space now with Tekken and Soul Calibur.
It's just unfortunate that the fighting games Sega did choose to invest in the past 5-10 years (Blade Arcus, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax) diverged so heavily from their prior works in the genre, especially when they were already so well-known for Virtua Fighter.

That is, if you were someone who grew up in an age when Sega produced no less than 4 full-fat fighting games in a generation (Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Last Bronx) only to see them give up on the genre outside of a niche light-novel tie-up game and a weird 2D spin-off of the new Shining games that feels more like an older ArcSys or Team Arcana game than a Sega fighter, it's quite a shame.

Everyone's asking about VF6, but I want to know where FV3, the true dark horse is.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's asking about VF6, but I want to know where FV3, the true dark horse is.

My headcanon is that instead of FV3, that team worked on Fighters Megamix instead as Sega was looking to bolster their Saturn output. I feel that it would have made good business in the arcade as one of the earlier crossover games. (looking at Wiki Xmen vs Street Fighter was released the same year)

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
My headcanon is that instead of FV3, that team worked on Fighters Megamix instead as Sega was looking to bolster their Saturn output. I feel that it would have made good business in the arcade as one of the earlier crossover games. (looking at Wiki Xmen vs Street Fighter was released the same year)
Doesn't quite work as FV2 (the Model 3 original) came out after the release of Fighters Megamix, but I can't help but feel like a Fighters Megamix 2 for PS2 or Xbox or something featuring characters from VF, FV, Last Bronx, as well as the other cameos from Virtua Cop, Sonic, and Rent A Hero would've been great.

Oct 25, 2017
Going by that interview and trying to read between the lines it doesn't really seem like they are working on one at the moment :\

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Wow, I never noticed FV is VF backwards. Granted I've never seen anyone abbreviate Fighter Vipers before because it's too obscure to shorten.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Going by that interview and trying to read between the lines it doesn't really seem like they are working on one at the moment :\
Well, I mean, Yu Suzuki isn't at least (again, he didn't work on VF5 either). There's no reason Harada or Mori would be either, as they're from entirely different companies. If anyone at Sega is working on a new Virtua Fighter game, it would likely be people like Daichi Katagiri, Makoto Osaki, or Hiroshi Kataoka (the current head of Sega AM2), among others. Suzuki hasn't worked at Sega directly since 2009, and hasn't worked on Virtua Fighter since VF4.