• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I expected. Virtual Console as a branding is dead, but they'll still sell older games directly on the eshop. It largely doesn't make much of a difference.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping that the games included in this online service expands past NES...

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because old ass NES games people don't give a shit about anymore once a month is a real good alternative. I was hopeful for Nintendo for awhile, but this is the biggest croc of shit since Wii U's reveal.

Atleast Wii U had virtual console.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems

I think they are just ditching the brand and will release the games directly, like the neo geo games.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We been knew

Anyways this is good, Bring on the classic games through the online service

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can a mod please change the title? It says "virtual console banner" meaning not that name brand.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I knew they were going to do this. Anyone who thought they would do 2 classic game services when they struggled to even get 1 out was dreaming. This completely avoids the whole "I bought this game on Wii/3DS/Wii U, give it to me for free." stuff now and in the future.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully people realize they said "under the Virtual Console banner" so we can chill with the doomsday hot takes.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Are you guys missing the "Under the Virtual Console banner" part pf the statement?
Nintendo won't miss the opportunity of getting cash for their old games. Either they will leave the Virtual Console name behind and sell 30$ so-called-remasters or they are going with a monthly subacribtion route.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait it even says " under the Virtual Console banner " what are ya'll getting mad about lol

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
The rumor said they were renaming it to Nintendo Classics or something, right? That's why they say "under the banner of..." and not "we're not releasing old games lol"

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Not selling the games seems like the most Nintendo solution to people wanting their previous purchases to carry over. Boy this doesn't make on lick of sense.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What the fuck... what's their problem...

Waiting for the nintendo defense force to justify this move*
I'm not even much of a Nintendo fan, and I'm all for this if it means having full access to the "classic" games on Switch and not having to buy them (and inevitably not being able to bring them forward to the next Nintendo system).

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see all that umming and aahing about VC led them to this conclusion.

Nintendo really hitting all the wrong notes today.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
People talking about a "Netflix" like service.

Obviously that's a nice option, but it should not entirely replace an à la carte option.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
The wording of that statement is off.

"under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems"

Sounds like a rename with changes more than a complete removal.

People need to stop jumping to conclusions so quickly

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why are people going crazy about this?

We're still getting classic games through the online service where you get them for free with the subscription, added to regularly.

There's also no way in hell it'd just be NES.

Come on.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People talking about a "Netflix" like service.

Obviously that's a nice option, but it should not entirely replace an à la carte option.

this
even if that doesn't mean that classics are gone but just that they will be available through another mean, it's still a purchase option that's gone

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully it's just a branding thing? They can't seriously not be releasing their classic games digitally, surely? I don't want those mini consoles, i want my fav games all together nicely on my Switch and portable. And here i was, hopeful that we'd eventually get GC games...

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Oh silly me, I misread the response. If it's not under the VC banner, then it doesn't seem that worrying yet.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
because they won't be called virtual console games. That's a good PR spin lol. Looking forward to the Nintendo Classics branding reveal at E3

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably change the branding to something like Nintendo Classics to tie-in with their Classic Edition mini systems.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because old ass NES games people don't give a shit about anymore once a month is a real good alternative. I was hopeful for Nintendo for awhile, but this is the biggest croc of shit since Wii U's reveal.

Atleast Wii U had virtual console.

Jokes. Several millions bought a glorified NES emulator box with no added functionality.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No shit.
Even if there was a VC people would complain the price.

People calling for a Netflix type service.. This is pretty much what they ate starting with the online subscription and the 20 NES titles. You will probably able to upgrade your subscription down the line in addition to them offering more consoles and 3rd Party offerings.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will just stop complaining about this when they start doing something. It's unbeliavable that they can't even bother to offer their library yet on Switch. I don't care if it's a Netflix-like service, just let me play anything more than NES games.

The most frustrating thing about the Switch. By far.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with it as long as Nintendo's subscription service becomes a knock out in offering games fairly regularly.

And put all those Arcade Archive / other company re-releases under a "Retro Classics" tab on the eShop.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think a subscription service makes more sense and they chose to ditch selling individual games. You cant update and sell the same game every time you release a new console. It doesn't make sense business wise. A subscription service gives incentive to update and re release these games for new hardware.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not a huge surprise and before people get too upset Nintendo said that they were not releasing classic games under the Virtual Console banner, not they werent releasing classic games at all. And to be honest it makes sense, VC was basically barebones emulation replicating the orignal consoles and trying to have the games play as they originally did with no extra bells and whistles. All of the NES games announced so far include online multiplayer and other stuff that wasnt in their original versions so they are not VC releases. This is a good thing as it means we are more likely to get SNES, N64 and Gamecube games with online multiplayer added plus other enhancements.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
We're currently in the denial stage it seems - "this is probably a branding thing".

Next will come the anger when people figure out it means exactly what it means and we aren't getting N64 games with online play.

Then the bargaining - "can you put some SNES/N64 games on the paid subscription thing?"

Then the depression when that doesn't happen.

Then acceptance for a very brief amount of time.

Before we start all over again when the Switch 2 is announced.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Does it really matter? With the likes of NeoGeo releases and Capcom collections. I'm sure Nintendo will release old games eventually even if not under dedicated VC label. Hell, you just got Punchout and Mario Arcade