• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Since the OP isn't great, and few of you appear to be actually reading the article before you post, please note that Nintendo is saying it will still sell classic games. Those classic games will just be available either 1) via the subscription service, 2) piecemeal on the eShop (which we haven't seen yet), and 3) via standalone packages like Sega's recently announced "Sega Ages" brand.

And no, Nintendo is not "rebranding" the Virtual Console - the company is making clear that there will not be a dedicated classic games store on the Switch.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Switch had the possibility of being Nintendo's best system ever... and then they did this *face palm*

WTF Nintendo?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of sounds like another Jason clickbait headline. One of his quotes says Nintendo will be releasing games from, among other sources, the eShop.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It seems like the Virtual Console brand is pretty much dead, but they'll bring old games to the system via Switch Online - at least that's what I hope

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jokes. Several millions bought a glorified NES emulator box with no added functionality.
Because a dedicated piece of nostalgia with a paid for and permanent set of 30 games is the same as a shifting by the month roster instead of literally an entire sea of retro titles to chose from.

NES classic exists for people that want NES games, this is going overboard with it.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the OP isn't great, and few of you appear to be actually reading the article before you post, please note that Nintendo is saying it will still sell classic games. Those classic games will just be available either 1) via the subscription service, 2) piecemeal on the eShop (which we haven't seen yet), and 3) via standalone packages like Sega's recently announced "Sega Ages" brand.

And no, Nintendo is not "rebranding" the Virtual Console - the company is making clear that there will not be a dedicated classic games store on the Switch.

Sounds about right.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
"There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems," a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night.

So it could be a total rebranding rather than nothing. I am still optimistic

It should be/basically needs to be a Game Pass type deal.
I'm confident that they'll screw it up though if they do actually do something with the classic games.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take:

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot. I dunno how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)...

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
That's one way to not have to deal with folk wanting previous purchases to come over to new hardware.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

You might want to also edit the misleading headline you used on Kotaku.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yes thank you for the clarification, this is exactly what they mean. N64 and the like games could still come to the system. It's not unreasonable to assume that IMO.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I didn´t have interest in purchasing the same shitty Roms without any kind of improvement again anyway. Would be nice if Nintendo remastered some of their classics and sold them for reasonable prices though. It´s a shame that games like Galaxy are still stuck on the Wii at 480p.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically the Nintendo Classic wont let users buy game individually like the Wii/Wii U and now its like a cheap Netflix service?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If the addition to classic games to the regular eShop are making them overhaul the navigation, then i'm also more then fine with no dedicated VC shop.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This belongs at the top of the first post.

Dec 2, 2017
I mean they've already said SNES games will be coming in one form or another, so its not like classic games won't be coming, just not under the virtual console banner.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I didn´t have interest in purchasing the same shitty Roms without any kind of improvement again anyway. Would be nice if Nintendo remastered some of their classics and sold them for reasonable prices though. It´s a shame that games like Galaxy are still stuck on the Wii at 480p.
They're adding online features to them in their subscription service :)

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
They already say in the full quote that there are alternatives (the NS Online, Nintendo Classics, collections). It is safe IMO to assume that these will be what will be expanded upon.

I suppose those are alternatives in the sense that they get classic games on the system, but they don't serve the same function as VC in allowing me to simply buy a single game I want. Either I'm forced to pay a subscription service or buy like 5 games at once. It's not the same thing.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know people not reading the OP is a running joke but Jesus Christ @ this thread.
People didn't even bother.

Oct 25, 2017
That'll be the next problem
50-60 for some GameCube games they better think again

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
What makes everyone so confident we will get anything other than NES games for the online service for sure? Surely it can't be based on the same optimism that everyone had when they delayed the service for over a year to work on it, and announcing the exact same type of crap of a year ago - except for cloud saves - today.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
So basically the Nintendo Classic wont let users buy game individually like the Wii/Wii U and now its like a cheap Netflix service?
You will likely be able to buy them on their own. It's just there won't be a dedicated "Virtual Console" storefront for them. It'll be like how NeoGeo games are just there and not under a Virtual Console banner.

Oct 25, 2017

They gonna sell you Galaxy for full price. And you will eat it up.