• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
Geeze a lot of people have jumped to immediate doom here. Where in this short email or misleading OP did it say 'no classic games from Nintendo's library will ever be released on switch e-shop'? There's already a few NES and Neo Geo games on the e-shop.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they didn't name this netflix-style service Virtual Console, and branded it as a reinvention - would go a long way into convincing people. Sticking to NES though is very disappointing, and I would rather have more games from more consoles, than have added online functionality.
It's because the Virtual Console as a branding doesn't make any sense to keep around anymore. It doesn't really accomplish anything and makes more sense to just have their games available with the rest of the store rather than separating them.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I can't believe so many people are mad that Nintendo is still going to release their retro games for sale through the eshop AND with Nintendo Online, and just won't be using the Virtual Console brand this time.

It's almost like people aren't reading a word and are just jumping to baseless conclusions..

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
You talk as if that is some amazing deal. Charging to use some mobile phone app to communicate is BS

The app part is definitely shit and Nintendo needs to fix this asap.

But $20 a year for a Netflix style Nintendo classic game archive can be a steal depending on what's on offer.

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
As I said in the other thread, my hope is that there will also be some sort of conventional/traditional Virtual Console (individual purchasing of titles) with games for all the other systems up to Wii, and that the Online Subscription would give you access to big (like really big) discounts on those titles.
I think it makes sense marketing-wise.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Page 5 and like 80% not reading OP still.. it is like people are just bashing for the sake of doing so (just like lots of threads out there).

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is this any different than waiting for them to port a game you'll eventually buy?

Seriously, this argument is sooo dumb
That you don't have to spend $20 beforehand and hope they add what you want, that you can choose what and when to buy it, that you're not going to spend $20 for one or two games you want only, that you can keep them forever.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time they've done anything like this. Like with all of Nintendo's initial ventures into anything online related, I expect them to make the wrong decisions to begin with.
Them not having classic games available to buy separately from the paid online service is not something I expect Nintendo to do. They love selling their older games way too much to arbitrarily cut off potential customers to them.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd easily pay $10/month for a Netflix like service, but that will never happen. I'm guessing they will release a few old classics now and then as part of the online service and then continue with their "classic" line of dedicated mini consoles.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cynic in me thinks that this move is to cut off any appeal gamers might make about having bought these classic games already and wanting them on their Switch for free or deeply discounted.

"No, you purchased X game for the n3DS or Wii U on the Virtual Console. This is a (New Service) title, so it's not the same and you got pay again."

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Did they ? While it's an obvious scenario I don't think they ever confirmed it.
It was on the page about the online services itself before it was updated:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170119024551/https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

npXM7Az.png

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It makes sense in a way

Third parties have focused on retro collections and reworked stuff for digital download

A virtual console with just nintendo stuff would suck

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The app part is definitely shit and Nintendo needs to fix this asap.

But $20 a year for a Netflix style Nintendo classic game archive can be a steal depending on what's on offer.

But this is the issue,, we don't know what we will get with Nintendo classics. I'm not convinced we will be seeing N64 or Gamecube games anytime soon.

The N64 mini will be next so scrub those games from Switch

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this unless they're falling for the clickbait wording.

The statement specifically says "Virtual Console banner". They most certainly are still going to add older games to the eShop... but the brand "VC" is dead.

Why is everyone assuming this means subscription-only???

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what's so offensive about this thread.

Switch has been out for over a year and all they have to announce re: Nintendo titles from previous generations is "please be excited about our oldest games, we will not be offering games under a Virtual Console brand, we have nothing more to announce."

Where is all this "shut the fuck up and expect this ambiguity to turn into exactly what you want" sentiment coming from lol. Xbox is doing some incredible stuff with backwards compatibility. PS4 is at least doing better at this than they did last gen, from what I remember. Nintendo, based on what we know this far, has taken a multi-generational leap in the opposite direction. They don't deserve any benefit of any sort of doubt.

You don't remember very well then lol. OG PS3 had full BC with PS1 and PS2 games, later models kept full PS1 support, along with a large slate of digital PS1 and PS2 Classics. The PS4 has no native BC, no digital PS1 games and only a poor slathering of PS2 Classics that have basically stopped.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
The fact that they never used the term "Virtual Console" since day one was already a confirmation that they're not going to release VC, at least that's how I took it.
People need to calm down, this isn't any news or something. It's what we already knew. I'm curious how they're going to handle classic games from now on. Just drop them on the eShop like the Arcade Archives, or put a dedicated section (without the VC brand) on the eShop for classic games?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this doesn't mean Switch ports are limited to popular titles, or even worse, are predominantly Nintendo exclusives.

Added online is great, but they obviously can't do that for your average game.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
But this is the issue,, we don't know what we will get with Nintendo classics. I'm not convinced we will be seeing N64 or Gamecube games anytime soon.

True.

The first titles mentioned have some nice ones (Zelda, Mario 3) but it feels a but lackluster (especially in combination with some of the more BS choices like the app).

I'm (fearfully) keeping an eye on this.
Though I'll probably buy the service for Smash regardless.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
End of an era

I guess in the long run, a netflix like service would be better than just paying money for the same game multiple times?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Those of you believing that my headline is misleading or that ditching the "Virtual Console" brand means nothing are kinda deluding yourselves. The "Sega Ages" brand announced last month by Sega is the best indication of how classic games will work on the Switch without Virtual Console -- publishers deciding on their own how and when to release their older library (and pricing however they'd like) rather than working with some sort of unified, streamlined system. This, combined with the fact that NES games will be available via subscription and not piecemeal, indicates that classic games on the Switch will be very, very different than they were on Nintendo's last three platforms.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
You talk as if that is some amazing deal. Charging to use some mobile phone app to communicate is BS

they are charging you $20 A YEAR to have cloud saves, regularly NES games(for now, maybe later other consoles) with added functionality, the ability to play online, special deals AND a mobile app that can be use to create groups, invite friends and voice chat with them via the same app if so you wish (nobody obligates you to do so).

it is really bothering me that people are taking just one element of all of what the $20 A YEAR entails and talk as if that is the only thing those $20 A YEAR are for.

Their online offering could be better? i have no doubt. Some of the things in the online offering are done poorly like the ability to voice talk? i can respect that opinion. But PLS stop using disingenuous arguments

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
If Nintendo had VC content like we used to have then it would cannabalise the thriving Indie market currently.
C'mon you're not going to tell me if they supplied Ocarina of Time then it wouldn't top 10 the eshop chart every single week.

This makes sense and a subscription service is the way forward. I hope they just keep adding games to their service. We need more than NES games clearly.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this is the best way for them to continue to release games without letting people "upgrade" their purchases on WiiU.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
It's more that some in here are flat out believing that VC as a whole is gone.

When there is very little in the OP which suggests that, sounding more like a rename.

Nintendo have done a poor job conveying this though, for whatever reason.

We will likely get SNES (strongly hinted at last year) and N64 games (when their classic version of the system comes out first lol) for the service eventually.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
The Nintendo Online Service NEEDS the exclusive classic library. How else are they going to entince new people to buy their online service past the September launch and keep users renewing? Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and Splatoon will have already launched. Pokemon, Mario Party, and Animal Crossing are the only current major franchises left in their pocket to get people excited about online features.

So in my mind "Virtual Console Banner" is just PR talk. Outside of some select exceptions (Mother 3 for example), there will not be individual classic releases on the Switch.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo probably just doesn't want to manage third parties retro games under the VC umbrella. Nintendo will probably still put out their own old games as eshop releases.

I think GCN games are still likely as they haven't re-issued those before.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
You don't remember very well then lol. OG PS3 had full BC with PS1 and PS2 games, later models kept full PS1 support, along with a large slate of digital PS1 and PS2 Classics. The PS4 has no native BC, no digital PS1 games and only a poor slathering of PS2 Classics that have basically stopped.

Ok, so this does nothing to change the fact that Switch is still worse than PS4 in this regard by a bit, still worse than Xbox One by light years and, of course way worse than its two predecessors.

I've read the article and Jason's annoyed TLDR in this thread. All the "you can tell who didn't read the article" posts and the misplaced optimism in this thread is far more misleading than the title, IMO. The title isn't even misleading.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just so tired of nes and snes it makes it even worse when they released lil miniature consoles of them this generation already. Start with the 64/GameCube,gameboy,gameboy advanced, Ds. Like all old all have nostalgia how many times are the nes and snes gonna be used as some incentive for something or pushed to the front

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally not giving Nintendo another penny this gen. Gonna buy all my games used and no way I'm paying for the online service. Gonna hack the hell outta my Switch and my gf's too.

Going back to the launch of Switch and reminded of so many comments of the Switch just being an X1 tablet with controllers. This is becoming more and more evident as time passes. Nintendo has lost some magic for me with the switch. Or perhaps it's since Iwata has left us.

I might consider giving Nintendo more money if there is a game I simply MUST play day one on Switch that isn't available elsewhere, but that is looking very unlikely. Not Metroid, not SSB, nothing really. Hell, even tropical freeze I'm playing for first time now on Wii U with the vastly most comfortable gamepad. What's the point?

I can't wait to hack my Switch.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I get it that they want to offer these titles as part of their online subscription. But there should be an option to buy these games for people who want to own them and not just rent them. With PSN+ you can also buy those games if you want.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's because the Virtual Console as a branding doesn't make any sense to keep around anymore. It doesn't really accomplish anything and makes more sense to just have their games available with the rest of the store rather than separating them.

How the hell does the Virtual Console branding not make sense? It's the perfect way to release titles for established platforms under a unified banner.

And have even looked at how 3DS Virtual Console titles are available in the eShop? It's the exact way you're talking about, so there's just no excuse to drop it.