Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Youtuber
| OT2 |

Discord logo

Vtuber Era Discord

▶ What are Virtual Youtubers?

Virtual Youtubers, or Vtubers for short, are YouTubers or streamers that produce their content under an avatar, using mocap to translate their movements and expressions to their avatar. It started mainly in Japan, but quickly has grown in popularity all over the world.

▶ Why watch Vtubers?

Most of the appeal of Vtubers are the same as a regular YouTuber/streamer; you'll be watching them because of their personality and/or because you're interested in their content. That being said, there are some differences that make the experience a bit more unique:

• The biggest benefit for the Vtuber themselves is anonymity. It helps protect the real person a bit more, and it lets them to be a bit more comfortable with themselves since they're not attached to their real faces, which is particularly helpful for shy people or people with low self-esteem.
  • There's also the benefit of a good character design for their avatar. Not only they can have an eye-catching visual design that helps differentiate them from other Vtubers (and regular YouTubers/Streamers in general), they can also be anything such as, for example, a literal dog. The sky is the limit.
  • And there's also the role-play or kayfabe aspect that comes together with the character designs. This varies wildly between the Vtubers but some of them do have a good mix of the person behind the character and the character themselves.
  • It can also lead to unique types of content. For example, 3D streams are a big deal with Vtubers, and it's something that would not be that interesting to watch with regular people. Another good example is that, since the avatar is just an avatar, it's easy to do things like exchanging "bodies", or have multiple people use the same avatar.
  • For Vtubers that are under groups (see bellow), there's also the added benefit of collabs. Of course this can happen with any Vtuber, but those in groups generally collab more with themselves and since they're under the same umbrella they might have more familiarity and chemistry with their fellow "coworkers".

▶ What Vtubers are out there?

Logos of the groups described below

Today, a good number of Vtubers (especially the more popular ones) are under talent groups that help them with the technical side as well as manage things like marketing and merch, or all the legal stuff.

A good place to begin are the following two Japanese groups, which are definitively the two most well known names in this "scene":

• Hololive: Managed by COVER Corp., they're one the most popular groups currently. While not the biggest group, they do have a sizable number of members and they've also been expanding internationally, with one generation of Hololive EN (International/English) and two of Hololive ID (Indonesia). There's also Holostars, the male branch, which unfortunately is not as popular as the main branch, but they're slowly growing. One thing to note is that while they do consider themselves to be an "idol group" (and they do a lot of things in that area, with a good influx of original songs and some concerts here and there), the members have a lot of range and there are many that don't fit in the usual idol image, and they do have a good amount of freedom to do whatever they want to do.
  • Nijisanji: Managed by ANYCOLOR Inc., they are the biggest Vtuber group, having more than 100 members under the main (Japanese) branch, and a good number in the overseas branches as well (to be more specific, they have a Chinese, an Indonesian, a Korean and a general English-speaking branch). They're mostly focused on supporting the Vtubers instead of trying to build a cohesive brand. For such reasons they have a lot of variety between their talents, so there is a good chance you can find someone you like.

Some other well known Japanese groups worth a mention are 774inc., which is better know for the AniMare group; VOMS, a small indie group formed by Vocaloid producer GYARI; NoriPro, created by Tsukudani Norio (who streams under the name Inuyama Tamaki) which is well known in the scene for their interviews with various Vtubers; and of course Kizuna AI Inc., the company created to manage the "progenitor" of the whole scene and her peers.

Along with that, because of the growth that has been happening since the past year, a good number of English-speaking groups have been popping up, with some of them getting popular quite fast:

• VShojo: A western group that was formed recently by Justin "theGunrun" Ignacio and Phillip "Mowtendoo" Fortunat, aiming to be of support for western Vtubers. Some of the more popular western indies move under the group on its inception, and since they they also had some other debuts as well. They mainly stream on Twitch and are very lax, so if you're more into that cultrue you'll be in good hands.
  • Tsunderia: One of the earliest US based groups. While they had a rough start, they seem to be growing recently with new members already announced and auditions open for more. They do have a good number fans, especially their first members.
  • PRISM Project: A Japan based group that focus mostly on EN talents. So far they've debuted 9 members from all over the world, under 3 generations. Most of the talents are great singers and they release pretty frequent song covers.

Some other groups worth mentioning are Production kawaii, another JP based agency that has grown quite a bit despite starting not too long ago; Phase Connect, the most recent group which started with a mix of EN and JP members; and Atelier Live, which is less a corporation and more a collective of EN indies that support each other.

And of course, there's also independent Vtubers, of which there are many. There are some that are quite popular, but the grand majority are quite small. They are great if you like the small community vibe instead of getting lost in the thousands of people participating in chat that happens with popular Vtubers. Of course you're mostly going to be on your own to find them. The majority of English-speaking Vtubers fall in this category.

It's important to mention that while most of the Vtubers out there today are female (especially the most popular ones), there are male Vtubers. The most popular ones are under Nijisanji, and as of now there are few English-speaking male Vtubers, but they're slowly growing more popular as the overall popularity of Vtubers increases.

Also note that because Twitch is not that popular in Japan (especially back then when this all started), most of the Vtubers and the community is centered around YouTube, but there are Vtubers that use mostly Twitch (especially western ones).

▶ I want to watch Japanese Vtubers but I don't know Japanese, how can I enjoy them?

Of course to a lot of people the language barrier is going to be a major one. Here's your options:
  • Watch their content anyway.
    While you might not get much out of a chatting stream for example, you can certainly appreciate some stuff without understanding. Maybe they're really good at an particular game, or you enjoy listening to them sing, or maybe they're a good artist and you like to see them draw, or even you enjoy the sound of their voice and like having them in the background. Some Vtubers have a sizable international fanbase, so even if you don't understand everything from the stream itself, you can get something out of it from chat (sometimes there's even people in the chat that translate and summarize what is happening in the stream).

• Watch translated clips.
    Most of the western fanbase comes from those. There are various fans that clip moments from streams and add subtitles to them. While there's a lot of variety in terms of translation quality, it's generally enough to get the general idea and it's still enjoyable. Of course you're at the mercy of the translators doing this on their free time and by only doing the highlights you might lose a bit of who the Vtuber really are most of the time, but for the most part this isn't much of a problem.

▶ Where do I start?

Due to the sheer number of Vtubers nowadays, there are certainly a lot of options and it can be hard to chose. Because of that I want to highlight some of the most popular English-speaking Vtubers to get started. After checking them out, a good idea is to look into the groups mentioned above as well as look into some indies too. Some of the groups often have collaborations with indies too, so that can also be a good starting point.

Portrait of the Vtubers described below

• Hololive EN, currently comprised of Amelia Watson, a detective; Mori Calliope, a rapper reaper; Ninomae Ina'nis, a priest for the Ancient Ones; Gawr Gura, a shark from Atlantis; and Takanashi Kiara, a phoenix. In particular I want to highlight Kiara's HoloTalk, where she interviews and live translate the Hololive JP Vtubers in order to better introduce them to the western community.
  • Nijisanji EN, currently comprised of Finana Ryugu, a mermaid; Pomu Rainpuff, a fairy; Elira Pendora, a dragon who is also a dragon tamer. They already started auditions for new members and in general Nijisanji often debut new batches of members shortly after another so expect this group to grow quite fast too.
  • Amano Pikamee, from VOMS Project. She's pretty fluent in English, every once in a while she does English streams and in her regular streams she generally repeats something she said in English, so while you're not going to get everything, you can get the gist of what she is talking about.
  • Ironmouse and Nyanners, from VShojo. Those are currently the most popular western Vtubers. Both are crazy in their own ways and they mostly stream on Twitch if you prefer to watch streams over there.
▶ I also want to be a Vtuber!

Due to the nature of the use of avatars there are multiple ways to approach "VTubing" and where to start might vary depending on the way you want to go. For a first step you can check out SilentPanda's overview of free resources, which are marked in the threadmarks, as well as /r/VirtualYoutubers spreadsheet of resources.

▶ Anything else I should know?

• Please do not talk or speculate about the Vtubers' past "lives". While it's interesting to know about what they've have been up to before they got big or you like them so much you want to see more of them, digging trough their past lives is a breach of privacy and it can, and have, lead to cases of doxxing. So, even if you are fine knowing this information, it's best to not spread this info around.
  • If you're going to participate in the chat, please pay attention to the streamer's rules. They're generally on the description of the stream. Of course each streamer is different, but there are some common rules that started with the Japanese Vtubers that most of the community uses. The gist of it is focus on what's happening on the stream, or, in other words, don't be off-topic and/or talk to other people, don't spam, don't talk about other Vtubers unless mentioned, and of course, be respectful.
  • A good tool to watch and discover Vtubers is HoloDex. Not only it has the currently live and upcoming streams of pretty much all major groups and a lot of indies, there's also a section for clips and one for music covers, as well as a handy tool to watch multiple streams at the same time, which is really useful for collab streams.
  • Be mindful of clips (especially translated ones). While most of the community is fine, there have been cases of clippers misrepresenting situations before. In particular I want to highlight OtakMori who has bad translations, has been called out by the Hololive staff before and got one of his videos taken down by COVER, as well as Iroha Translation, which has a history of twisting the words of Vtubers to cause drama. In general it's important to keep in mind that you might not be getting the whole picture or the translation quality might not be the best (especially in cases of speed subs), so it's good to take them with a grain of salt, especially if they are clips of serious moments. We suggest the list of recommended translators compiled by GoodVtubersSubs as a starting point as they are verified by the community at large to be more accruate and at least understand the impact of a bad translation.

Surprised Kiryu Coco

What do you mean you haven't fallen down into this rabbit hole yet!?

Last edited:

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
New thread, nice.

I wonder if this new bout of hacking is going to affect upcoming Apex tournaments like CR cup

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Also, just to point out, she's mentioned before that she was depressed and unhappy before she became Gura, and the lyrics of "Reflect" suggests that she hates who she used to be, while her past self would hate who she has become now. But then the lyrics turn into an acceptance of who she used to be, as she says "Thanks for carrying me as far as you did, but I'm in the driver's seat so I'm the one calling the shots now."
Quoting for the new thread. This was interesting to read thanks.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is probably gonna last way less time than the first. It's wild how much the field has grown over just the past year alone.

Looking forward to seeing NijiEN's second, third, and fourth waves and whatever kinds of ridiculous talent they got for HoloEN's second wave.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Gura completes DMC3 at some point, it'll be satisfying.

And more World Of Darkness obviously, Calli's been nailing the sessions but obviously everyone is super busy, but that first session where everyone is together is going to be great now that the characters are set up :)

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I love that Kanata is still doing the Coco impressions and how smug she is knowing Coco can't talk back lol.

Oct 27, 2017
So I got a question.

Don't go here, but curious: I've seen clips of VTubers having 3D models and said models moving around, dancing, etc.

During the times when the 3D models are being used, is that through mocap? And is it usually the person behind the avatar who is doing the mocap? Or is it someone else?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
So I got a question.

Don't go here, but curious: I've seen clips of VTubers having 3D models and said models moving around, dancing, etc.

During the times when the 3D models are being used, is that through mocap? And is it usually the person behind the avatar who is doing the mocap? Or is it someone else?
as far as Nijisanji and Hololive are concerned at least, it's the same people doing the mocap, for example the hololive girls do dancing and singing lessons before concerts so it wouldn't make sense for them to not be the one dancing.

Lardroom

Aug 22, 2020
NijiEN is trying...trying...to sell vtubers to people.

Should have just said: now, you too can become an anime girl!

Pretty sure that's all what some people, like, Fubuki, wanted.

Edit: good thread title. 桐生会 forever.

Last edited:

Sheiter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got a question.

Usually it's mocap and the streamer is the one in the mocap. Hololive does a weekly comedy skit show that is just computer manipulation of the 3d models but it's clearly not mocap in those instances.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
So I got a question.

It is almost always the regular personality behind the mocap in their 3D streams, which they usually talk about how busy they are from having to do dancing lessons and rehearsals.

They usually have to go into a studio in order to have the equipment needed for full 3D movement.

Hololive for example has pretty regular 3D concerts like this:

https://youtu.be/Ajwv4ANSSg0?t=3112

Oct 27, 2017
as far as Nijisanji and Hololive are concerned at least, it's the same people doing the mocap, for example the hololive girls do dancing and singing lessons before concerts so it wouldn't make sense for them to not be the one dancing.
It is almost always the regular personality behind the mocap in their 3D streams, which they usually talk about how busy they are from having to do dancing lessons and rehearsals.

They usually have to go into a studio in order to have the equipment needed for full 3D movement.

Hololive for example has pretty regular 3D concerts like this:

That's actually really cool then! Starting to get an idea as to why the whole "Kizuna Ai had her voice changed" controversy was such a big deal now.

It's awesome that despite being behind avatars that a lot of these VTubers are the genuine article.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
So I got a question.

since they use their own methods, it's probably not much different then this, shown a while ago

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going take this moment to bring up a VTuber who is outside the Holo/Niji/EN bubble: Suou Patra

Right now, she is arguably the most watched ASMR VTuber on Youtube, surpassing even Noel. Also seemingly one of the few VTubers who streams From Software games. Multitalented, Patra also produces are writes her own songs for her group HoneyStrap(Recently on her 450K stream she did Dragonforce and RATM riifs on her guitar!). Her streams also attempt to be as English friendly as possible, so give a her a look if you have the time.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Also while it's still the first page, it's important to leave an impression
j45x3786a7971.gif

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
talk about monkeying around then none does it better than Holostar

edit: two more clip because Holostar need more shrimp

Also, check out their new cover, it's both good and fun

Last edited:

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm going take this moment to bring up a VTuber who is outside the Holo/Niji/EN bubble: Suou Patra

Right now, she is arguably the most watched ASMR VTuber on Youtube, surpassing even Noel. Also seemingly one of the few VTubers who streams From Software games. Multitalented, Patra also produces are writes her own songs for her group HoneyStrap(Recently on her 450K stream she did Dragonforce and RATM riifs on her guitar!). Her streams also attempt to be as English friendly as possible, so give a her a look if you have the time.

Strangely enough, I got to know her for being the most hardcore METAL GEAR franchise fan on the 'VTuber' scene, as far as I'm aware!

And talking about FROM SOFTWARE games; it is a real shame that many of Aqua's play-throughs were privated during the "copyright strikes incident", because she actually did legit 'speedrun' attempts. Thankfully, as some fragments were archived, this is a taste:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnqp4ahV6gU

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgyaAEveEfI

- YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uuBevmPKaQ

- YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nkddza4vw

- YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vpckSCM4ug

- YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Siox-ljYU

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I started this adventure by watching Korone. Then Pekora. Then Miko. Then...

And on and on it went.

I thank them all for the wonderful experiences I've had so far, and look forward to many more to come. What amazing personalities (and people) they are.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Love that new thread smell.

Also, congrats OP, for choosing the correct title.

Status
Not open for further replies.