Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Has Bae talked much about her background? Most of the people I have met who are as "out of touch" as her are from stuff like immigrant, army, diplomatic, or other families that are not so tied to the culture they are nominally growing up in.

It is pretty notable.
I haven't heard anything. It's possible she was a military brat always moving around.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Bae is quite young + I'm guessing she didn't watch a lot of television. She seems like she was quite active when she was younger doing dance and going on outings from bits and pieces I heard her mention.

I don't understand Japanese at all but it seems she says it's stress related. Somebody on Reddit mentioned that the artist behind Tamaki had put her manga on hold too.
That video has English closed captions. Basically Tamaki (the person behind Tamaki) is suffering from alopecia and asthma induced by stress and its not the first time its happened so she is taking a break.

Dec 31, 2022
Surprised Mysta has the been apprehended by management over this. It's really gross when you consider the implication he's making.

m.twitch.tv

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! - NIJISANJI EN MYSTA RIAS - mystarias on Twitch

mystarias went live on Twitch. Catch up on their Genshin Impact VOD now.

But it wouldn't be the first time he's said super problematic stuff to a superchat message. (Like telling someone who mentioned they were a victim of sexual harassment that they were lying)

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Mysta has the been apprehended by management over this. It's really gross when you consider the implication he's making.

m.twitch.tv

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! - NIJISANJI EN MYSTA RIAS - mystarias on Twitch

mystarias went live on Twitch. Catch up on their Genshin Impact VOD now.

But it wouldn't be the first time he's said super problematic stuff to a superchat message. (Like telling someone who mentioned they were a victim of sexual harassment that they were lying)
??? what is the context for this? anyway it sounds he is trolling a hater or something

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's not trolling. This is incredibly gross behavior that is implying he's having sex with his coworkers to spite a superchat message.

This stuff shouldn't be acceptable in traditional streaming, much less when the majority of vtubers are women.
i am fairly sure he is being ironic because haters say that the mere existence of male vtubers next to female vtubers mean they are fucking

not sure about the superchat message tho, again i ask for context

Dec 31, 2022
i am fairly sure he is being ironic because haters say that the mere existence of male vtubers next to female vtubers mean they are fucking

not sure about the superchat message tho, again i ask for context

I'm sure his coworkers appreciate that. Try saying something similar at your work. That shit isn't acceptable.

The fact you can't see anything problematic about this is rather troubling.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
??? what is the context for this? anyway it sounds he is trolling a hater or something
It sounds bad and he shouldn't have said that even to a hater, it would make sense management would step in and tell him to knock it off. I did notice this poster posted shit about us in another thread right before their first post in here about shrugging off transgressions so I'm guessing they are fishing.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds bad and he shouldn't have said that even to a hater, it would make sense management would step in and tell him to knock it off. I did notice this poster posted shit about us in another thread right before their first post in here about shrugging off transgressions so I'm guessing they are fishing.
i know, but posting without context is weird

Dec 31, 2022

Well, I would post on here, but I'm not going to pretend that I haven't dealt with other vtubing communities that shrug off problematic behavior, particularly from cishet men.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I would post on here, but I'm not going to pretend that I haven't dealt with other vtubing communities that shrug off problematic behavior, particularly from cishet men.
Bringing stuff up like this is fine and I really don't agree that this thread shrugs things off in general since we have had plenty of posts talking about various shit that has gone down so next time just participate without slinging stones (in another thread) from the get-go?

It sounds like Mysta is joking, and again, we need more context.
We don't need "rrats" here.

edit: my bad I went and watched the preceding events and it was about some crazy dude in chat upset about a Genshin character.

Dec 31, 2022
Bringing stuff up like this is fine and I really don't agree that this thread shrugs things off in general since we have had plenty of posts talking about various shit that has gone down so next time just participate without slinging stones (in another thread) from the get-go?

Considering another poster above me just shrugged it off and 'spreading rrats' (lets stop using 4chan lingo), I feel somewhat justified in feeling people like me aren't particularly welcomed in the vtubing community.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Bae is quite young + I'm guessing she didn't watch a lot of television. She seems like she was quite active when she was younger doing dance and going on outings from bits and pieces I heard her mention.
yeah aside from being young she also didn't play games nor get into much into comics or that kinda culture. From what she's talked about in her past, she was quite the jock playing basketball, climbing and doing alot of dancing with her friends. Outside of some anime (inuyasha) she's quite the normie lol

that infamous pokemon red being stolen by a neighbor kid story turned out to be ruby too, she didn't know there was a difference

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I don't know what the context was, but yeah probably way too far. If you're going to come in hot on a new ERA account though at least give us all the context. I don't watch Mysta at all.

We've also had pages discussing Calli saying the N-word, Enna saying ignorant shit, etc.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
also we just had a talk about nijien management being too lenient, it isnt a mysta's problem, and honestly what he said there isnt even close to what enna did

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, rewound just a little and the guy was harassing Mysta in the donations (for 20 minutes wtf) since he didn't like a Genshin character and the final one was about getting STIs from other streamers, so he was responding to someone real unpleasant.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely a big no no based on any company sexual harassment training video I've seen. Kind of wonder if any of those companies have that sort of training.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering another poster above me just shrugged it off and 'spreading rrats' (lets stop using 4chan lingo), I feel somewhat justified in feeling people like me aren't particularly welcomed in the vtubing community.
I don't agree that this particular community as a whole reacts like this even if a few do which is really hard to avoid in open social spaces. Still, considering the context of Mysta's reaction are you upset about how he treated that person spamming him or about the extent to which he made a joke about relations with a videogame character? Is it toxic masculinity? Probably yes but I think he knows that which is why he was speaking that person's language. I do agree that its best to probably not fall for every provocation and get on that person's level but that's something he needs to sort out with his employer or himself.

I myself will avoid certain vtubers for my own reasons but I also don't really post about them because I don't see the point in negativity or signal boosting. I can understand being worried about bad behavior becoming normalized sure but that sort of thing is rampant in the streaming space and at least Mysta does have someone to answer to.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
yeah mysta has his outbursts sometimes when he receives negative comments and I think it should be a thing staff should talk with him but I also dont think it is as big of a deal as the original post is making to be considering the biggers issues nijien had last year

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
That video has English closed captions. Basically Tamaki (the person behind Tamaki) is suffering from alopecia and asthma induced by stress and its not the first time its happened so she is taking a break.
So weird, I could swear I checked if if had CC and it didn't show them when I watched the video.
Well, it sucks that stress is taking a toll on her. Tamaki has had a ton of collabs with Niji males and holo stars and she is a huge fan or Roberu/Mea so she is cool for doing all of that. I wish her the best in her recovery.

Dec 31, 2022
This'll be my final message here. I'm not going to pretend that I was hoping to find a bit more of a progressive community to discuss things, but lurking while waiting for approval to chat, I leave somewhat frustrated.

To preface, I don't identify as male ( or anything for that matter). And for that reason, I picked up vtubing back in 2018 as an oasis to rid myself of the toxic masculinity that has spread within the anime and streaming communities over the years. I was able to ignore the 4chan stuff (the only place to discuss vtubing in English in those early years) because they were irrelevant. Got into Kizuna Ai, Mirai Akari, Siro and Kaguya Luna, eventually spread out to the likes of the Omega Sisters, Nobuhime Oda and eventually to Nijisanji and Hololive.

It was great to see women succeed without having to deal with the expectations of the male gaze and all that bullshit. But stuff like the Raita incident within Nijisanji made me rather cynical that things were going to continue to be safe. Don't get me wrong, early on, it seemed Niji had safeguards for offcollabs like streaming at their studio. I still just couldn't get it out of my head that what I was familiar with was vanishing. And with Hololive, known as an all-women group, I felt I finally found my place. Away from the toxicity I generally associate with cishet men.

Watching from outside, I could see that many of the girls in Nijisanji began to struggle. They were no longer as popular as their male counterparts. They seemingly got less views, less donations. It troubled me to see a blatant bias that I felt was gone within the vTubing community. And people who donated to the girls were labeled 'simp' and other sexist bullshit for anyone who dared to show support because they dared to be entertained by women.

Hololive continued to be my oasis. I got to watch them rise from having as struggling to hit 20k subs to being hitting 1m subs with ease. I felt so happy to see success for women in a field (streaming) that had been so toxic for them. Then came HoloEN and vShoujo, that success was looking to pass their way into the western world. Myth were shining stars and vShoujo made their name in the twitch world.

But I can't help but feel things over the last year has changed. I counted, 15 men have been hired by the English branches of Cover and Nijisanji to only 6 women. When men have had so many advantages in the streaming world, watching as it seemed like NijiEN was turning into a boys club while Cover dropped hiring 5 more women in favor of an all-male group. It became clear that what I've seen in smaller, more diverse anime communities of yesteryear were becoming more cishet men-centric. I mean for Christ's sake , Nyanners boyfriend got to be one of the hosted channels for the gaming awards when they were called out for not having any women's channel from doing it!

Will that continue? I don't know. Watching clips and streams along with whatever popped up on twitter and what whatnot, showing the wonderfully safe space women have created for themselves in this harsh streaming environment become a boy's club, it's blatantly obvious that I'm not welcomed in this community any more.

So you can shrug off all the transgressions that cishet men have done in the vtubing community, I won't be a part of that.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Cover didn't drop hiring 5 women in favor of Tempus. That's bullshit. Holostars already existed even before Holo EN and it's a passion project for Yagoo, even if they don't get the huge numbers that Hololive gets. Gen 3 will come eventually when they are ready.
I don't really have anything to say about Nijisanji because I don't watch them much but I don't like that you try to spin hiring a mixed wave of talents as a negative thing.

Dec 31, 2022
Cover didn't drop hiring 5 women in favor of Tempus. That's bullshit. Holostars already existed even before Holo EN and it's a passion project for Yagoo, even if they don't get the huge numbers that Hololive gets. Gen 3 will come eventually when they are ready.
I don't really have anything to say about Nijisanji because I don't watch them much but I don't like that you try to spin hiring a mixed wave of talents as a negative thing.

I consider hiring men over women in streaming that is dominated by men to be a negative thing, yes.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This'll be my final message here. I'm not going to pretend that I was hoping to find a bit more of a progressive community to discuss things, but lurking while waiting for approval to chat, I leave somewhat frustrated.

To preface, I don't identify as male ( or anything for that matter). And for that reason, I picked up vtubing back in 2018 as an oasis to rid myself of the toxic masculinity that has spread within the anime and streaming communities over the years. I was able to ignore the 4chan stuff (the only place to discuss vtubing in English in those early years) because they were irrelevant. Got into Kizuna Ai, Mirai Akari, Siro and Kaguya Luna, eventually spread out to the likes of the Omega Sisters, Nobuhime Oda and eventually to Nijisanji and Hololive.

It was great to see women succeed without having to deal with the expectations of the male gaze and all that bullshit. But stuff like the Raita incident within Nijisanji made me rather cynical that things were going to continue to be safe. Don't get me wrong, early on, it seemed Niji had safeguards for offcollabs like streaming at their studio. I still just couldn't get it out of my head that what I was familiar with was vanishing. And with Hololive, known as an all-women group, I felt I finally found my place. Away from the toxicity I generally associate with cishet men.

Watching from outside, I could see that many of the girls in Nijisanji began to struggle. They were no longer as popular as their male counterparts. They seemingly got less views, less donations. It troubled me to see a blatant bias that I felt was gone within the vTubing community. And people who donated to the girls were labeled 'simp' and other sexist bullshit for anyone who dared to show support because they dared to be entertained by women.

Hololive continued to be my oasis. I got to watch them rise from having as struggling to hit 20k subs to being hitting 1m subs with ease. I felt so happy to see success for women in a field (streaming) that had been so toxic for them. Then came HoloEN and vShoujo, that success was looking to pass their way into the western world. Myth were shining stars and vShoujo made their name in the twitch world.

But I can't help but feel things over the last year has changed. I counted, 15 men have been hired by the English branches of Cover and Nijisanji to only 6 women. When men have had so many advantages in the streaming world, watching as it seemed like NijiEN was turning into a boys club while Cover dropped hiring 5 more women in favor of an all-male group. It became clear that what I've seen in smaller, more diverse anime communities of yesteryear were becoming more cishet men-centric. I mean for Christ's sake , Nyanners boyfriend got to be one of the hosted channels for the gaming awards when they were called out for not having any women's channel from doing it!

Will that continue? I don't know. Watching clips and streams along with whatever popped up on twitter and what whatnot, showing the wonderfully safe space women have created for themselves in this harsh streaming environment become a boy's club, it's blatantly obvious that I'm not welcomed in this community any more.

So you can shrug off all the transgressions that cishet men have done in the vtubing community, I won't be a part of that.

Progressiveness isn't denying a group entry into a space in which male vtubers are still very much the minority draw. Luxiem doing so well also has very little to do with cishet men and everything to do with an untapped market of cishet women.

I won't comment on anything else since that seems like projecting a narrative on to why men shouldn't be vtubers.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad you feel that way but I'm left a bit perplexed. The space is still dominated by women Vtubers at the moment and there has been a ton of problematic cishet male fans in the community following female Vtubers. In fact, the surge of male Vtubers has only brought more female fans into the community... Anycolor's fan demographics is over 60% female now (in their official financial reports no less).

If you're worried specifically about the gender split for the actual talent themselves, I don't think its a problem to have an equal split (which still isn't a reality in the corporate space at least). Having more gender fluid/non-binary Vtubers in corporate would be cool too and I hope to see that.

Its not like the women are constantly interacting with their male co-workers on stream either? Also from what I've seen the success of Nijiboys brought a lot more attention to the women of NijiEN?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

i feel like you missed a big thing about the niji thing, ever since luxiem nijien went from a majority male audience for majority female, with basically of their male vtubers having overwhelmingly female public
yeah it was 15/6 m/f split in 2022 but that is because in 2021 it was 5/16, and that is ignoring vshojo that is an all female group

there is also the fact that not all male vtubers are cishet either, uki is gay for example

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if talents have talked about it, but I assume the niji girls having more female viewer base is better for them as well just so they can talk 'girl stuff' and chat won't all be clueless.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
The original comments were that Mysta made comments about having sex with coworkers. In the video, Mysta said they would fuck someone's oshi. It was found that the oshi was referring to genshin video game characters, not coworkers.

The original comment said Mysta has the been apprehended by management over this. I'm guessing that was a typo, and meant to say that management has not done anything about this?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America

"I'm a workaholic just like a work robot."

Yes, yes you are, Tamaki. xP What he gets up to on a regular basis WHILE (Norio-mama) being a mangaka, along with VTubing activities, music, managing a company, etc., does not compute in this tissue box's head at times!!

With all that NorioPro's been through this year, I hope Tamaki takes the time off to take care of himself and come back refreshed because we want to see 'im in good shape as well. Hoping the bronchitis and insomnia can be substantially assuaged, too. Spend all the time ya need Inuyama!! ^^' You deserve to have it easy for a while. *pancakey nod*

Oct 25, 2017
The original comments were that Mysta made comments about having sex with coworkers. In the video, Mysta said they would fuck someone's oshi. It was found that the oshi was referring to genshin video game characters, not coworkers.

The original comment said Mysta has the been apprehended by management over this. I'm guessing that was a typo, and meant to say that management has not done anything about this?
Yeah, this all started with a pretty misleading drop into the thread, and ended about the same. Like, reading the whole thing to this point, I'm just left feeling like none of that was in good faith and more just shitting on male vtubers. Is it just me?

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018

I contemplated not replying because you said you will not post further, but this post stuck me so negatively, I feel like I have to share at least some of my thoughts.

If you read the gradual broadening of Vtubing from an industry totally dominated by female performers supported by an overwhelmingly male audience to a relatively more equal one as misogyny or in any way threatening, I genuinely don't know what to say. I am a firm believer that the only antidote to the kind of horrific toxicity faced by streamers when interacting with other genders is more interaction. From that perspective, the past year or so has been a massive success.

I also feel that declaring that vtubing has become "cishet men-centric" is completely absurd and runs in the face of all of the evidence. The demographics of vtubing have expanded massively lately. To start with, Hololive is demographically just about the most "cishet men-centric" part of any major company. The growth of other parts of the market, be they Vspo, Holostars, Niji EN, or whatever have grown the community immensely. Also, vtubing has only grown as a space for LGBT people. Especially for indies, but on the corporate level as well with. Just as an example, by my count, roughly 25% of recent Nijisanji members are openly queer across the main branch and EN.

Calling back to the Raito incident, an event that was seemingly handled quite well almost four years ago as a dramatic turning point is also bizarre. As is the idea that men have ruined the success of female members of their agencies. It is obviously untrue in the case of Hololive-Holostars, and in Nijisanji, there is essentially an equal number of male vs female members in the top 10 of all three of its branches.

I have no idea why a new Hololive wave has not debuted, but to claim it is because of a "boys club" is completely untenable. If the "boys club" were running things, every wave of every company would be female only and they would be excommunicated if they talked with men. Frankly, I refuse to accept the idea that an environment of that kind is a safe space for women or remotely progressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.