TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
7IGY4jN.png

| OT3 |
Official ResetEra Community

l0jNoeZ.png

VTuber Era Discord
Chat about all kinds of VTubers in the Era Discord!

uetchy_logo_space.png

Holodex Website
See which VTubers are live RIGHT NOW!

latest

⚡ [WHAT IS A "VIRTUAL YOUTUBER" ANYWAY?]

Virtual Youtubers, or VTubers for short, are personalities who adopt a virtual avatar which is then used to engage with, entertain, or inform an audience.

They are usually based online, streaming games or making videos with their avatars overlayed on top, typically 'puppeteered' using mocap technology. There is also a selection whose activities extend beyond the small screen to feature themselves in full-fledged stage performances or live concerts as a proper 3D performer. This type of VTuber can also be considered a type of virtual idol/virtual singer, of which there exists a sizable portion, and overlap between the two is a common sight.

Some who call themselves a VTuber will elect to remain 100% anonymous for their VTubing career. Others opt for a more hybridized approach, presenting themselves in real life as well as in virtual form.

Despite the name, they do not have to be on YouTube to be a 'VTuber'; any platform of preference, such as Twitch, TikTok, or Bilibili, can be called home. In some instances, labels like 'VStreamer', along with other variations, have been used, but 'VTuber' remains the most commonplace term regardless of origin.

(Please see the FAQ below for more answers to some of the most common questions regarding VTubing!)

o4hP7AY.gif
hbwt1JE.gif

latest

⚡ [WHY WATCH VTUBERS?]

VTubers are a form of new-media entertainment that combine elements of various internet cultures and subcultures. As a result, its format draws from many different entertainment models. Part of the appeal of VTubing is the virtual domain it inhabits: it is not bound by physical limitations. A VTuber can be anybody, or anything, they wish to be, no matter the world outside their computer. A VTuber can use animation, digital assets, and illustrations to convey the reality of their choosing in a medium-consistent manner -- and they can maintain a sense of anonymity and privacy while doing it.

For fans of anime/cartoons/games, watching and following VTubers can also feel a little bit like all of that combined. CGI characters with cool visuals with which you can freely interact, whose 'story' you can contribute to; kayfabe allowing for 'roleplay' and character lore (and even more lore/character BREAKS, but that's part of the charm); and celebrating milestones such as subscriber/follower count, getting a new outfit, getting a 3D model, and more.

They can also just be:

✅ Silly
✅ Cute
✅ Funny sometimes
✅ Very talented/creative

9MyMtyz.gif
VJR6szG.gif

latest

⚡ [WHAT VTUBERS ARE OUT THERE?]

corpo-banner-draft.png

The story of VTubing begins in 2016, in Japan, with a 'klutzy artificial intelligence' [not an actual AI; see FAQ] named Kizuna Ai. But since 2020, it has spread throughout the globe, and grown in presence -- and population -- with each consecutive year. Today, tens of thousands of VTubers have come, gone, and stayed, and hundreds more emerge every several months.

VTubers come in all shapes and sizes; some people use a VTuber-style presentation, but are otherwise detached from core VTubing culture. Some try to push the envelope of the medium, harnessing it in innovative ways (
CodeMiko, anyone?). Some are anime girls, some are talking horse heads. Some sing; some game; some just chat. Many do all three.

The large majority of VTubers are indies, and the majority of that majority are small and homegrown, with minimal financial backing and a lot of DIY.

On the other side of the coin, as the scene grew, more and more VTuber agencies rose to prominence: companies formed to provide branding support, funding, and networking to and management for aspiring virtual entertainers. Today, many of the highest-profile and most famous VTubers are contracted under a company (aka, "corpo VTuber"). The banner directly above comprises of several major VTuber agencies from around the world who are currently active as of this posting.

Of the currently active corps, the two biggest and most famous right now, both based in Japan, are
Hololive, managed by COVER Corp. Also the group to which Gawr Gura belongs. They have some of the biggest VTubers in the world with a multitude of talents in the 1-million-subscriber range. While their main, girl-only branch is HololiveJP (Japan), other branches include ID (Indonesia), EN (English), and Dev_IS (a unit-focused branch). They are also home to Holostars, a male-only group, which consists of a JP and EN branch. Fashioned as a semi-"idol" group, Hololive has a stronger focus on musical projects, but with just how sweaty-gamer, multi-talented, and 'mischievous' its members can prove to be, the bigger picture can be a little more colorful.
Nijisanji, managed by ANYCOLOR Inc. Some may recognize the mug of Vox Akuma. The biggest VTuber agency in the world, Nijisanji refers to their talents as 'virtual livers' (as in going 'live') and has over 170 members, several of which are the most well-known VTubers in the industry. They have two primary branches: the eponymous Nijisanji (Japan + legacy members of now-dissolved international branches), sometimes unofficially referred to as 'NijisanjiJP', and NijisanjiEN (English). They also have a sister group, VirtuaReal, based in China. Nijisanji is a huge group and the main pioneer of the Live2D format (streaming with 2D models), with a wide variety of members and niches represented. Chances are, there'll be at least one VTuber you like in there!​

VSPO! and Neo-Porte are also not far behind in size, the former being the third-biggest VTuber agency in JP by subscriber count. These two have a stronger eSports focus. Kamitsubaki Studio is a music label that specializes in VSingers, including one of their biggest names, KAF. Other agencies include Nanashiinku, possessing a wide variety of VTubers with numerous sub-groups; NoriPro, an agency founded by Norio Tsukudani, herself a VTuber, mangaka, illustrator, and dancer; dotLive, one of the oldest running VTuber agencies alongside Hololive and home to the one of the original 'Four Heavenly Kings', Denno Shojo Siro; and many more.​

Meanwhile, from the western/English-speaking world, some of the most prominent VTuber agencies are
VShojo, a 'talent-first' agency that operates on a different model from the typical Eastern format, allowing VTubers to retain their IP and much more freedom. The VShojo talents comprise of some of the biggest names in EN VTubing, including Ironmouse and Zentreya, and unlike most companies, are primarily scout/recruitment-only, openings for auditions being a rarity.
Phase-Connect, a western-targeted VTuber agency that originally launched with both JP and EN members. Based out of Vancouver, Canada, Phase-Connect made a splash in 2021 and have grown in number and scale ever since, developing into one of the biggest Youtube-based agencies in the western market. Their style tends to reject the 'cleaner' image of the bigger JP-based agencies on the site and have gained a reputation as such.
Idol Corp, one of the past two years' dark horses. Despite launching in 2022, they started to gain prominence in 2023 and by the end of the year became one of the most well-known VTuber agencies in the western world, featuring British wisecracks like Rin Penrose and mafia bosses such as Kattarina Qutie.
Prism Project, a 'multinational', western-targeted agency that has cultivated a devoted following over the years and serves as home to numerous VTubers with a range of talents, both musically and elsewhere, Shiki Miyoshino being just one example. Since 2022, they have been owned by Sony Music Entertainment.
There is also Mythic, a Twitch-based talent management company that is home to some of the biggest VTubers on Twitch alongside VShojo. However, Mythic is not VTuber-exclusive, host to both real-life and virtual members, and arguably has even less direct involvement with a VTuber's individual activities and brand than VShojo; as such, the majority of VTubers under Mythic are still considered 'indie', while VTubers under VShojo are considered 'indie with corpo benefits' (although in reality, the latter is simply in adoption of a model inspired more by Western conventions as opposed to the heavily managed Eastern model traditionally practiced in the industry).
kr.svg

Isegye Idol and V&U, two of the most well-known groups based out of South Korea.

br.svg

Neo-Baka, a high profile agency local to Brazil.

id.svg

Maha5, a major Indonesia-based company also featuring JP talents.

p43qgM3.gif

latest

⚡ [VTUBER ETIQUETTE/THREAD GUIDELINES] (please read)

1) Egregious doxxing of talents {including unauthorized face reveals and other identifying information) is forbidden. However, talking about 'past lives' and personal accounts can be allowed only under certain conditions and extents:
• No blatant posting of 'VTuber/Person A is VTuber/Person B', in that exact format, out in the open; if you have to candidly disclose a VTuber's 'incarnations', please do so in spoiler tags and non-habitually
• On the other hand, bringing up a VTuber's or former VTuber's personal account, indie account, or past life without spoilers is permitted as long as you abide by the condition directly above and avoid explicitly stating that both people are the same person -- in other words, an 'if you know, you know' implied approach should be fine
• Try to keep discussions surrounding a VTuber's past life or non-VTuber account to a minimum; talking about the history of things and referencing past moments when topical are fine and realistically, sometimes it's unavoidable and impossible to walk around eggshells for certain news or when discussing the more high-profile VTubers all the time, and that's okay from time to time. But the general priority should be given to the VTuber's current, active persona.

2) In this corner of the web, the conversation will mostly be dominated by Hololive and Nijisanji -- but don't be afraid to bring up indies and other/smaller VTubers you like too! A lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be exposed to them have been introduced to other VTubers this way in past threads.

3) When watching a VTuber live, please pay attention to the VTuber's stream/chat rules if they have such a list up. List or not, the common defacto rules in JP Vtubing amounts to: stay on topic, don't converse with other viewers, avoid bringing up other VTubers unless the streamer did so first, don't spam, and, of course, be respectful. If you are unsure of how to conduct yourself, it's advisable to see what the atmosphere is like between the VTuber and their chat before jumping in.

4) Be wary of 'dramatubers' (drama focused VTuber channels) and unreliable clippers who are known for inaccurate translations (e.g. Otakmori). The latter can end up instigating drama and misinformation via their clips, while the former will rely on shock value to bait viewers/engagement.

5) Abide by the official ResetEra Terms and Conditions when posting in the thread.

latest
⚡ [F.A.Q]
ARE VTUBERS A.I.?
While there are VTubers that are purely AI, they are presently a novelty and very experimental. VTubers are generally human beings using digital avatars and always had begun as such.
WHY ARE VTUBERS MOSTLY GIRLS? WHERE ARE THE BOYS??
A lot of the most popular ones are, and a higher proportion of female VTubers get more traction than males on average. But there are plenty of male VTubers that have become hugely popular as well, such as Kuzuha and Kanae from Nijisanji, Astel Leda and Yukoku Roberu from Holostars, Shibuya HAL from Neo-Porte, Vox Akuma and Shu Yamino from NijisanjiEN, etc.
DO ALL VTUBERS USE VOICE CHANGERS?
No, many of them just have a tendency to use a more excited or raised tone of speech, especially JP based ones. However, those that do use voice changers exist.
WHY DO MOST VTUBERS LOOK LIKE ANIME CHARACTERS?
Having its roots in Japan, the VTubing scene is most recognizable for its anime style aesthetics prominent among some of the biggest names in the VTubing world. But you don't need to be full-on 'anime' to be a VTuber. Miss Lala uses a blend of anime + Americana, for instance, and Pumpkin Potion draws on classic American cartoon aesthetics.
I WANT TO WATCH ALL THE POPULAR JAPANESE VTUBERS. HOW DO I DO THIS IF I SUCK AT JAPANESE?
Tune in anyway! Some of the biggest JP VTubers will have live translators in the chat, if you're lucky. And some things transcend words, like unadulterated silliness. But if that's still a bit big of a jump, then you can start with clips or compilations. There is a large amount of clippers that edit and translate certain VTubers' streams into digestible portions; this is a critical building block in the international community, and helps those of us untrained in the language to be entertained along with those overseas. And when you've had your fill with that, joining one of the VTuber's/VTuber agency's more sizable fan Discord channels will often introduce you to other fans who can also provide help in understanding the latest news and streams from them.
WHAT SOFTWARE IS USED TO DO VTUBING?
Live2D and VTube Studio are most often used to animate models. For streaming, the usual suspects like OBS are commonly used.

latest

⚡ [RESOURCES/TOOLS]

Want to be a VTuber? These links might come in handy:
Want to watch and keep track of your favorite VTubers? Here's some stuff to help ya out:
Holodex, as linked above, allows you to see the live status of, and tune into a plethora of VTubers as you wish and even watch multiple of the latest streams at the same time -- it also has a section for stuff like music and music-related streams for you to keep tabs on!
VTStats tracks numbers including subscriber count, viewership, revenue, daily engagement, etc.

latest

⚡ [INTRODUCE YOURSELF]

Jumping into the thread for the first time? Feel free to use this little introduction card! It's not mandatory of course, just something you can use if you want. ^^'

- Who is/are your favorite VTuber(s)?
(Name drop them here, or if you don't have any yet, that's okay too.)

- What got you into VTubing?
(Who/what pulled you down the rabbit hole?)

- What kind of content do you mainly watch VTubers for?
(Gaming, music/singing/performances, variety, comedy, tech, etc.)

- What kind of VTubers do you prefer to watch?
(Wholesome/Spicy; Youtube/Twitch; Nijisanji/Hololive/VShojo; etcetera.)

latest
⚡ [VTUBERS ON ERA!]

VTubers are on Era, too! If you're a VTuber on Era and would like to be on the list, please message me your VTuber name, links, a short blurb/greeting or description of yourself, and a pic (if you'd like)! ^^'

Give 'em a look!
Hamburger-kun
I'm just a hamburger playing video games.
hbk-profile.png

twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
YouTube

Shadowstew
"Stew stew, it's your local Sk8er Boi VStewber, Shadowstew!"

Twitch
YouTube Skate Intro

Haru Zulux (though generally just go by Haru)
I'm just a non-binary person making some videos of what catches my fancy.
R9B2hPh.png

youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@haruzulux
introduction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1tKdgedL8
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/haruzulux
bluesky -
https://bsky.app/profile/haruzulux.bsky.social

Schedule:
1-5ish Central (US) on weds on twitch and upload a video every Friday on youtube at 3pm central at the min

kJat8Ga.jpeg

art by advarcher

Special thanks to....
Kuro, for the corpo logo banner
Kansoku, for the original two threads (and from which this heavily borrowed)
...and the VTuber community!

Last edited:

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Cheers to a new thread! feels fresh after having 90,000 posts in the old thread lol

Just in time to celebrate Raden's bday stream in 15 minutes

It'll have 3 parts: an art discussion part, an educational collab part with Kakapo from VEE, and a secret part

View: https://youtu.be/uKa5qqN-tts

Also will start the thread with a showcase of some of the great skills some vtubers have that can differentiate them "just" being streamers

Suisei playing tetris while doing karaoke

View: https://youtu.be/7ht8TkuRgLA

And a couple of my favorite 3D dance performances (timestamped), Bae's Play Dice and Subaru's Yomo Sugara Kimi Omou performances

View: https://youtu.be/Qd5HBpoOIJA?t=2529

View: https://youtu.be/mhvHZpK-9Ss?t=2492

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
3rd OT!
Thanks for making the new thread TissueBox! What a wonderful job!

=====

Bae is lucky lol

Last edited:

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
New thread smell. Never thought the old one would go away.

Bae n' Irys still playing Palworld, HOLY MOLY.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Posting in a legendary thread, using an avatar of fictional origin, not revealing my real life self.

Gotta post the GOAT, the OG, the FAQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasyGUeNMTs

Here's one of the first clips that got me into vtubers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsn7dB_gD0s

More recent vtubers I love

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHU8iUB1cs

I love the chemistry vtubers have when collabing together (collab=multiple vtubers from different youtube channels in the same stream)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRBPWWTA8E

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
All glory to vtubers! May there be fun streams and times for both corpo and indie streamers alike!

Lardroom

Aug 22, 2020
New thread! Man, I love vtubers. Even if you only stick to one agency, it's impossible to watch them all and keep up.

15SagittaeB

Feb 12, 2022
So...

Is this Chihiro? I've seen two Nijisanji 1st gen linking it on Twitter.

most notably she had a weekly podcast with Aki-kun and Moira-sama for many years, so these might well be the Livers she was closest with

I'm pretty certain it's the same talent, although she seems to be going for quite different vibes in this first stream.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Jurard jumping in on the Persona train too!

Didn't realise Iofi was a fan too. She's been playing non-stop, already in July.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Been too busy to post in these lately, but I want to mention that after so long, seeing the new thread literally made me do a spit take.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
ive been looking for a cam that isnt cpu intensive as it eats up a lot of my frames when i play games.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
I hope the palworld arc is over soon but i doubt it will be. Don't like that game at all but it is what it is, wont be mad about the gals playing a game they like but I can't watch.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Aah, a new thread. Great OP, thanks for putting it together, TissueBox

Been watching a bit of Iofi's P3R playthrough. Love seeing her huge enthusiasm for it. She's also kind of blazing through the game pretty quick (makes sense though since she played the originals).

I hope the palworld arc is over soon but i doubt it will be. Don't like that game at all but it is what it is, wont be mad about the gals playing a game they like but I can't watch.

Yea, secretly hoping for the same. I mean of course everyone should do/play what they like but I actually like everyone having their own little niche which gets a bit lost when a game dominates this much.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
was not expecting irys to go 10+ hrs today (her longest stream yet) and bae going nearly 9, but man we got some nice baerys trolling each other

View: https://twitter.com/yayoiken1324/status/1754093249156063628?s=46&t=RC6_Wiyji6nZzgfe1x2AZQ

palworld prob has a week or 2 left before ff7r (if they can get perms) and fes prep ramps up and after their busy period is over they'll be onto other games. I good chunk of the jp members who play regularly have exhausted most of the content, which for being a EA game lasted longer than i expected.

tho the influx of mod perms may extend it with one off singleplayer streams

View: https://twitter.com/ENVTubersOOC/status/1754079176020168854

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
palworld prob has a week or 2 left before ff7r (if they can get perms) and fes prep ramps up and after their busy period is over they'll be onto other games. I good chunk of the jp members who play regularly have exhausted most of the content, which for being a EA game lasted longer than i expected.
What was the last Square Enix game that EN got perms for that wasn't also late?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I've got no interest in Palworld myself (other than reading the Era threads on that game because they are hilariously toxic), but I am enjoying the clips coming out of the shenanigans that the vtubers wreak. Same with Ark and Rust, really.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
List or not, the common defacto rules in JP Vtubing amounts to: stay on topic, don't converse with other viewers, a

Huh? For the uninitiated, what could be the reason for this?

WHY ARE VTUBERS MOSTLY GIRLS? WHERE ARE THE BOYS??
A lot of the most popular ones are, and a higher proportion of female VTubers get more traction than males on average. But there are plenty of male VTubers that have become hugely popular as well, such as Kuzuha and Kanae from Nijisanji, Astel Leda and Yukoku Roberu from Holostars, Shibuya HAL from Neo-Porte, Vox Akuma and Shu Yamino from NijisanjiEN, etc.

I have always had this question too. I see the answer is just that the "female vtubers are the most popular". But why?

Thanks.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Huh? For the uninitiated, what could be the reason for this?

Having a full-on discussion with another viewer in the middle of a stream is a bit disrespectful to the streamer, it gives the impression that you don't care about them

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Nice new OT!

I get why people aren't in love with the current Palworld times but god I'm glad we've left Suika game era

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Having a full-on discussion with another viewer in the middle of a stream is a bit disrespectful to the streamer, it gives the impression that you don't care about them
Ok. One last question on this then:

So if a streamer does something and another viewer misses it, they can't ask the stream what happened? Like, where is the line? Forgive me if this comes off a bit like a dumb question. This is uncharted territory.

Icarian

May 9, 2018

So if a streamer does something and another viewer misses it, they can't ask the stream what happened? Like, where is the line? Forgive me if this comes off a bit like a dumb question. This is uncharted territory.

That's fine as it's still related to the stream, it's mostly applied to personal conversations or wholly unrelated topics. If two viewers start talking about last nights NBA game while the streamer is playing Poppy Playtime, then that's pretty rude towards the streamer and other viewers alike.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

That's totally okay, it only becomes rude when there's a constant back-and-forth between different viewers, and they start distracting the fans or the streamer themselves