• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
mynintendonews.com

Virtuos believe that they can bring any current-gen game to the Nintendo Switch

In a recent interview, Virtuos senior producer Zhang Chengwei has stated that the company is now in a position to bring any PlayStation 4 or Xbox One game to the Nintendo Switch platform.

I can see this topic going well here at Era 😂

Virtuos senior producer Zhang Chengwei reckons that they can port any current gen game to the Switch.

[We] developed a clever general-purpose rendering library that allows XCOM 2 to be rendered directly on the Switch without changing the original rendering module from Unreal Engine 3," which helped to deal with the Switch's reduced memory (4GB–the PC version requires 7GB). "I'd say that we spent half a year just to optimise the memory, and we used many methods throughout this period, including using more efficient formats for files, removing needless memory usage, and even modifying and optimising the original console's memory system...Off the back of our work on Starlink: Battle for Atlas, Dark Souls: Remastered, The Outer Worlds and the coming XCOM 2, we now have no doubt that Switch adaptations can be worked for games on any of the current generation of consoles...The more games we develop for Switch, the better we get and the more we can squeeze out of the hardware..

It's bold words there, could Virtuous be working on other current generation ports to Switch?

Was this a way of Virtuous gaining more port work for the Switch?

Thoughts?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
you can definitely port any modern title

now how well it runs and if it is a good experience... those are entirely different questions.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
the job they did on l.a noire was honestly great, one of the few third-party titles that actually uses features like hd rumble, ir sensor, gyro, touch screen etc

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You can port anything to Switch currently. It's more of a question of whether or not it will actually run at a decent/acceptable quality. If a developer can't get a game running on a system to a level that they feel reflects well on their product then they won't touch it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
you can definitely port any modern title

now how well it runs and if it is a good experience... those are entirely different questions.

Yep. It also depends on the amount of time and money they want to put into it. TW3 looked decent and ran pretty well thanks to the attention to detail and care in the port.

It's a matter of getting out what you put in.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Looking at the list of games they've brought over... they're behind some of the better ports! Glad to see they're on Bioshock and Outer Worlds, I feel safer picking both of those up now.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
You can port anything to Switch currently. It's more of a question of whether or not it will actually run at a decent/acceptable quality. If a developer can't get a game running on a system to a level that they feel reflects well on their product then they won't touch it.

Decent and acceptable is a personal thing, I find Doom, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein 2 and the resolutions of Xenoblade Chronicles DE acceptable, but I find Ark: Survival Evolved unacceptable. Whereas some find all unacceptable.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bold claim but given their experience and Saber's work on the Witcher 3, I think it is possible.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Port ff7r to switch, most assets are already switch quality anyway, just gotta get it to run at 240p 10-15fps.

Apr 9, 2019
Having played Witcher 3, Doom 2016 and Civ 6 on Switch I believe them. Frankly, it's shouldn't be a controversial statement.

EDIT: looking at some replies I'm once again disappointed in ERA's supposed "friendliness".

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The title of the article, and thus the title of this thread, are both taking liberties with what was actually said. Title is what the author of the article wants to believe the quoted interview excerpt means. The quoted excerpt is a little more vague than that

"...we now have no doubt that Switch adaptations can be worked for games on any of the current generation of consoles."

That doesn't mean much to me, because if I take that quote literally it's just saying something we already know - that it's possible for Xbox One and PS4 games to be ported over to the Switch. I'm not seeing a declaration from Virtuous in there that they're confident in their ability to port any and all Xbox One and PS4 games over.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
You can definitely port every title.

Assuming you are ok with 240p-360p and sub 30fps.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i mean sure, if you can get witcher 3 and doom eternal on switch, you can get anything from current gen even Cyberpunk, but will it look good? be stable? prolly not

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Thread title and article title are click baity . The actual text basically says if they adapt certain things its possible. As the Witcher 3 shows, ports deemed impossible can be possible

I also wish peoples hot takes would not extend to constantly posting equivalent thoughts around the need for huge graphical sacrifices to make a port work. That's just a factually incorrect hot take and those Witcher 3 Switch threads didn't age well. Yet shitposters are doing the same over an admittedly exaggerated article headline

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Sure, it can run on the switch, which took a pretty signficant amount of effort to port and is a pretty far cry from the most demanding games of the generation.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to convey. Yes it took hard work. That's a given, my dude. But The Witcher 3 IS one of the most demanding current-gen titles, which is why it's still commonly used to benchmark systems, and it's one of the first things people try out when they buy a new CPU or GPU.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Decent and acceptable is a personal thing, I find Doom, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein 2 and the resolutions of Xenoblade Chronicles DE acceptable, but I find Ark: Survival Evolved unacceptable. Whereas some find all unacceptable.

No doubt. But in the same vein, you, me or anyone else finding, say 480p and sub 30fps with muddy IQ acceptable doesn't mean the devs / publishers want people to see and most importantly play their game that way. Just how it goes. I hope we do see more ports of AAA games for the people that want them though.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
I'm not even sure what you're trying to convey. Yes it took hard work. That's a given, my dude. But The Witcher 3 IS one of the most demanding current-gen titles, which is why it's still commonly used to benchmark systems, and it's one of the first things people try out when they buy a new CPU or GPU.
If a game has to take THAT much work to port then it shouldn't be ported imo.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Those were the main third parties I was thinking of. Most exclusives too I think are far outside of the switch's reach (ignoring the fact that they're exclusive).
That's 3 multiplat games over the whole generation. You'll admit that we can put the Witcher 3 alongside them as one of the most demanding games of the gen (even if it is not the #1).

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe it, it's just a matter of what you sacrifice by bringing a game to the Switch.

Games like Doom and Wolfenstein still look great on the Switch. The Witcher 3 has some obvious downgrades, but still looks great in a vacuum, especially on handheld.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine those textures of Assassins Creed Odyssey in the Switch

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
That's 3 multiplat games over the whole generation. You'll admit that we can put the Witcher 3 alongside them as one of the most demanding games of the gen (even if it is not the #1).
It's SIGNIFICANTLY less demanding than those 3, especially RDR2. They are not in a similar space. I would also expect CP2077 to be at least as far from W3 as RDR2 is.