• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the response! There are some classics here. But I certainly did not expect this appears:
Oni Uta OP song is still the goat. It's the truth.

YES. Have been listening to it for years!

For song, my absolute favorite still goes to アイの庭 from Duca. I heard the game ("Garden") is unfinished, but at least it gives us a great song!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why ArcSys even bothered creating a western branch, sounds like they just wanted to cut Aksys off.

Well, they did do Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (and made an LE exclusive for their online store). Hopefully they decide to utilize more of their properties for physical... or just let Aksys do it.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's ok to ask this here since Danganronpa isn't a visual novel. I'm playing through the second game and already bought V3. Are there any spoilers in the artbook? Also I noticed the case has a reversible cover with a different protagonist, I hope that wasn't a huge spoiler.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it's ok to ask this here since Danganronpa isn't a visual novel. I'm playing through the second game and already bought V3. Are there any spoilers in the artbook? Also I noticed the case has a reversible cover with a different protagonist, I hope that wasn't a huge spoiler.
I don't have the artbook so I'm not sure about spoilers but the general rule of thumb is to not look through them until you finish the game, the artbook that came with the other ones didn't have much in them but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Is the reversable cover for V3? It's not a spoiler, just more promo art.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have the artbook so I'm not sure about spoilers but the general rule of thumb is to not look through them until you finish the game, the artbook that came with the other ones didn't have much in them but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Is the reversable cover for V3? It's not a spoiler, just more promo art.
Thank you for the answer. I was a little paranoid about getting spoiled.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have been enjoying the animated sprites from hibiki works. I wish more VN would use animated sprites.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Hey,
I just bought a new portable PC and I'm in the mood for some VN. I always wanted to try Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime. However I don't find a way to download them legally out there. So could you tell me where I can find it ?
I understand there are 3 main games for Fate/Stay but I'll do fine with the first for now.

Also, did I spoil a lot of the story if I've watched the Ulimited Blade Work anime?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Hey,
I just bought a new portable PC and I'm in the mood for some VN. I always wanted to try Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime. However I don't find a way to download them legally out there. So could you tell me where I can find it ?
I understand there are 3 main games for Fate/Stay but I'll do fine with the first for now.

Also, did I spoil a lot of the story if I've watched the Ulimited Blade Work anime?

There are no official localization for both. You need to get their JP copies and download fan translation patches. If you don't mind buying them used, I would suggest Mandarake which is useful to import VN from Japan. Be careful that the PC game section is super NSFW.

BTW, VNDB is very useful to check if one has English release.
Fate/Stay Night: https://vndb.org/v11
Tsukihime: https://vndb.org/v7

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
There are no official localization for both. You need to get their JP copies and download fan translation patches. If you don't mind buying them used, I would suggest Mandarake which is useful to import VN from Japan. Be careful that the PC game section is super NSFW.

BTW, VNDB is very useful to check if one has English release.
Fate/Stay Night: https://vndb.org/v11
Tsukihime: https://vndb.org/v7

Thanks! So I have no choice but to order a physical copy then ? I'll check Mandarake once I get home (I'm at work and I saw some +18 warning when searching for Fate/Stay :D). That could be problematic since I don't have a disk reader on my laptop.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! So I have no choice but to order a physical copy then ? I'll check Mandarake once I get home (I'm at work and I saw some +18 warning when searching for Fate/Stay :D). That could be problematic since I don't have a disk reader on my laptop.
You'll probably want a virtual drive then. It allows you to upload an image of your VN disc and download/play it from there.

I'm drawing a blank on the best free source ones though.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
True, if you don't have a disc drive that would be difficult. Can you create an image on another computer and then save it to a flash?

I asked around at work and nobody has a disc drive anymore :o Everybody just use digital download for PC.
I'll eventually find one since I'm quite set on playing these games but I wish it was on steam or something :/

Thanks for the help guys!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a couple of VN's lately... Is there any disadvantage to buying Muv-Luv Vita (UK ver) in the USA?

Fucking Gamestop has it in stock but every time I try to order for shipping it gives me an Undefined Ordersubmission error or something similar. I've tried different browsers, the apps, etc.. even called them. Nada.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing a couple of VN's lately... Is there any disadvantage to buying Muv-Luv Vita (UK ver) in the USA?

Fucking Gamestop has it in stock but every time I try to order for shipping it gives me an Undefined Ordersubmission error or something similar. I've tried different browsers, the apps, etc.. even called them. Nada.
I have the Muv Luv games the other way around, the US versions in Europe and there's no problems at all so I imagine you'd be fine as well, there's no dlc or anything like that.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I asked around at work and nobody has a disc drive anymore :o Everybody just use digital download for PC.
I'll eventually find one since I'm quite set on playing these games but I wish it was on steam or something :/

I kept an external drive specially for installing these JP VN :D. It is pretty cheap so I assume you can find one easily.

BTW, as far as I know, Tsukihime is stupidly expensive. You might want to wait for the remake (which may be released until the end of time as the creators are known to work real slow).

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I kept an external drive specially for installing these JP VN :D. It is pretty cheap so I assume you can find one easily.

BTW, as far as I know, Tsukihime is stupidly expensive. You might want to wait for the remake (which may be released until the end of time as the creators are known to work real slow).

Well I'm going to start Fate/Stay Night next month or so and according to vndb.org it's 50h long (I imagine it's for seeing all routes) so I guess I'll be done in a month or so. Depending on how much I like it I might just jump on Tsukihime. I understand that it's in the same universe so it's going to be tempting to play it :p

Quick question as I'm looking into buying Fate/stay Night :
The game Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua is a remake of the first game right ? Without the H scenes. Souldn't I grab that instead?
I don't really mind missing on the ero stuff but it'll be a shame if it also missing the violent/gore scene (if there are any)

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm going to start Fate/Stay Night next month or so and according to vndb.org it's 50h long (I imagine it's for seeing all routes) so I guess I'll be done in a month or so. Depending on how much I like it I might just jump on Tsukihime. I understand that it's in the same universe so it's going to be tempting to play it :p

The game Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua is a remake of the first game right ? Without the H scenes. Souldn't I grab that instead?
I don't really mind missing on the ero stuff but it'll be a shame if it also missing the violent/gore scene (if there are any)
To be honest, I don't know. I have never played anything from Type-Moon because there are so many works involved. Just from VNDB, it seems that Realta Nua is a PC download-only release (in three parts) on Amazon JP, yet they are unavailable for sale. So you probably can't get access to Realta Nua on PC legally. There is one complete patch for the original PC version though.

Maybe someone who is more informed than me can help.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I believe, if I think waaay back, part of the translation patch is that you could also use the PS2 disc to get voices (...and better CGs?) from Realta Nua. Not sure if that also included the ability to have the censored H scenes.

Though when I played some of it back in the day, I only got the regular PC version (from Mandarake, actually), so I didn't mess with that.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017

Tsukihime was hard to find 12~ years ago, imagine it would nearly impossible nowadays, KT is probably easier but not that much.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
There's a couple of VNs coming to Switch in February: Planetarian and Tokyo School Life.

Anyone know if they are any good? Both have decent reviews on Steam, but I'm curious if they're actually good or just fan service.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
There's a couple of VNs coming to Switch in February: Planetarian and Tokyo School Life.

Anyone know if they are any good? Both have decent reviews on Steam, but I'm curious if they're actually good or just fan service.

Planetarian is genuinely good. It's short (about 4-6 hours?) and linear with no choices, like a two-hander play sent in a future dystopian world.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Quick Question:
If I play first Chaos;Child, does it spoil something major from Chaos;Head?
Thank you.

It does, yes. I don't remember how explicitly it talks about certain big twists but some of the events at the end of Chaos;Head's story are very important to Chaos;Child, and you are told certain things about the original game at various points. And even though Chaos;Child is written so that you can play it with or without having playing Chaos;Head, by the end of it you'll also know a lot of details about the world that while not necessarily being spoilers would still make Chaos;Head more boring, since they are definitely supposed to be things you wonder about while playing that game. If that makes sense?

Now, I actually don't think Chaos;Head is a good game. But I did really enjoy how Chaos;Child plays with your expectations and knowledge from Chaos;Head. So I think if you intend to play Chaos;Head at all, you should do it first.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It does, yes. I don't remember how explicitly it talks about certain big twists but some of the events at the end of Chaos;Head's story are very important to Chaos;Child, and you are told certain things about the original game at various points. And even though Chaos;Child is written so that you can play it with or without having playing Chaos;Head, by the end of it you'll also know a lot of details about the world that while not necessarily being spoilers would still make Chaos;Head more boring, since they are definitely supposed to be things you wonder about while playing that game. If that makes sense?

Now, I actually don't think Chaos;Head is a good game. But I did really enjoy how Chaos;Child plays with your expectations and knowledge from Chaos;Head. So I think if you intend to play Chaos;Head at all, you should do it first.

Good to know. thank you!!!

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

To be honest, I don't know. I have never played anything from Type-Moon because there are so many works involved. Just from VNDB, it seems that Realta Nua is a PC download-only release (in three parts) on Amazon JP, yet they are unavailable for sale. So you probably can't get access to Realta Nua on PC legally. There is one complete patch for the original PC version though.

Maybe someone who is more informed than me can help.
The RN version of F/SN is generally the superior one and contains the following changes

1. Additional CGs
2. Additional music
3. Additional SFX and better scene framing (zoom-in, screen sliding across images, that sort of thing)
4. Dialogue is fully voiced. The original PC release of F/SN does not actually have any voice acting in it.
5. Generally terrible H scenes replaced with non-H scenes that mostly fit better than their original counterparts with one exception in Heaven's Feel where the 18+ version of the scene fits better. The movie actually used the scene from the 18+ version for that one.
6. Some details in the Heaven's Feel route were changed that were kind of important but also pretty 18+.

My recommendation is to buy the Realta Nua PC version somehow, or if you can't buy some other version and just pirate the PC version. Use this patch here to patch everything into English. This patch allows you to switch between the original 18+ version and the all ages version of the script, I recommend playing the Fate and UBW scenarios with the all ages script and Heaven's Feel with the 18+ script.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Most Jan releases are releasing today in Japan. Look forward to read impressions on them, especially Sugar Style and Sorceress Alive.
Dont know how long your ban is but I actually like the animated sprites for non lewd scenes.
Which work you are referring to? I have only played Pretty x Cation, and I remember the animated sprites are only used during strolling scenes.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most Jan releases are releasing today in Japan. Look forward to read impressions on them, especially Sugar Style and Sorceress Alive.

Which work you are referring to? I have only played Pretty x Cation, and I remember the animated sprites are only used during strolling scenes.
I am assuming any VN made after Purely x Cation whenever that was released. Since both Purely x Cation and Niizuma Lovely x Cation has them.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
The RN version of F/SN is generally the superior one and contains the following changes

1. Additional CGs
2. Additional music
3. Additional SFX and better scene framing (zoom-in, screen sliding across images, that sort of thing)
4. Dialogue is fully voiced. The original PC release of F/SN does not actually have any voice acting in it.
5. Generally terrible H scenes replaced with non-H scenes that mostly fit better than their original counterparts with one exception in Heaven's Feel where the 18+ version of the scene fits better. The movie actually used the scene from the 18+ version for that one.
6. Some details in the Heaven's Feel route were changed that were kind of important but also pretty 18+.

My recommendation is to buy the Realta Nua PC version somehow, or if you can't buy some other version and just pirate the PC version. Use this patch here to patch everything into English. This patch allows you to switch between the original 18+ version and the all ages version of the script, I recommend playing the Fate and UBW scenarios with the all ages script and Heaven's Feel with the 18+ script.

Thanks for all that, I'm going to follow your advice then!
I was still looking to buy a physical copy but it's actually pretty expensive and I had some bad experience when importing stuff from Japan...