• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth tracking down a copy to play the original or would I be ok to start out with the two most recent?
If you don't want to wait for the remake to be localized play it on PC and suffer through the ero scenes or watch the anime adaptation of the first game.
2 and 3, especially 3, are much better if you have experienced 1.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I have not played the game so I do not really get what is the meaning of "suffer through ero scenes", but I have actually read a few nicely written ero scenes from other games like Riddle Joker. They have jokes as well as lines that present the character well. The bad examples would be those from Key's. Those in Little Busters! felt so out of place that they are hard to read.

And a confession. I actually really enjoy the last ero scene of Rance 01. Fuck the villain, literally. The game sometimes really makes me feel that Rance is actually lesser of the evil as there are so many human trash in the world. But the same villain is seemed to be turning into an crucial character in later entries. I wonder if my opinion on her will change.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I forgot to post it back then, kinda late but people waiting for Hashihime will probably get good news at AX (I assume given the wording???)

edit:

also for BL fans there's also this from JAST

Last edited:

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have not played the game so I do not really get what is the meaning of "suffer through ero scenes", but I have actually read a few nicely written ero scenes from other games like Riddle Joker. They have jokes as well as lines that present the character well. The bad examples would be those from Key's. Those in Little Busters! felt so out of place that they are hard to read.

And a confession. I actually really enjoy the last ero scene of Rance 01. Fuck the villain, literally. The game sometimes really makes me feel that Rance is actually lesser of the evil as there are so many human trash in the world. But the same villain is seemed to be turning into an crucial character in later entries. I wonder if my opinion on her will change.
Well I enjoy even the "bad" ero scenes in eroge. Utaware's never gets as out of place as Little Busters though.

As for Rance 01, the last scene is so well done, and it's also one of the better scenes from the newer OVA. Rance grows as a character, but he's an awful person, especially early on. It's funny since they have to somehow make you empathize with him by making the villains somehow worse than he is.
The epilogue is exactly how she is from now on. She has the craziest 180 in terms of personality, and becomes obsessive much to his dismay.

KenjiGlove

Oct 25, 2017

It was nice that they kept Glorious Days in the back of their hand until that scene.

(The last scene of 03 is pretty 'tight' as well)

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Besides my Fata Morgana LE shipping and Higurashi's last couple chapters, there's nothing in the industry I'm looking forward to right now.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm waiting for all three Koihime Musou in one, the new Shuffle!, and...that's it?

Outside of moege and nukige, it feels like a dry period for me. Still waiting for Alicesoft news for what seems like ages now. Even Eushully hasn't had a release in quite some time.

I've gotten so tired of waiting that I've just started Dai Gyakuten Saiban which is pretty fun.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm definitely looking forward to AI: The Somnium Files, Yu-No and the three Spike Chunsoft announcements next week.
Same here, there are so many visual novels in the upcoming months - and most of them are going to be released on Switch finally, after two years where the output in terms of VN was quite poor. About the three Spike Chunsoft announcements, if I am not wrong, I read that two titles are by Mages... I really hope it is the time for Robotics;Notes Elite+DaSH pack, I almost feel it is now or never. Spike Chunsoft know that the Science Adventures series fanbase in the West is growing and hopefully Steins;Gate Elite sold well enough to make it possible.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope it is the time for Robotics;Notes Elite+DaSH pack, I almost feel it is now or never.

And it's not like there are other two 5pb visual novels that Spike Chunsoft would rather localize instead. I mean, it'd be a slap in the face if they announced Memories Off and Konosuba instead of bringing more SciADV.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
And it's not like there are other two 5pb visual novels that Spike Chunsoft would rather localize instead. I mean, it'd be a slap in the face if they announced Memories Off and Konosuba instead of bringing more SciADV.
About SciADV, however, there is also the possibility they will localize Steins;Gate Divergencies Assort, after all most of the people know the Steins;Gate franchise and not SciADV and in their perspective it could sell better than Robotics;Notes (which after all sold ok in Japan but not wonderfully).

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
My backlog is huge, and this year hasn't helped. Wish I'd not bought Elite for LBP if it's already on sale as I totally forgot to sell the disc; wonder if I can still get more than that back for it alone...

Meanwhile, this week I finally, fucking finally, got myself to finish Death Mark's DLC. Don't know why it took me forever. I started in like December and kept playing like 20-30 minutes late at night every few months. I have 0 idea why it took me that long despite repeatedly planning to finish those last few hours. Funny how the ending feels just as nominal as the act of finishing it; doesn't really have any real resolution despite the case bringing in all the old characters, it's weird.

So... I think now it's time to try Jake Hunter (DS) + finally getting to Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk, then we'll see about Ciconia WTC and some other things in a month or so. The new Fata stuff is also obvious, but I may want to wait on it a while if I can remain unspoiled- I'd rather replay the first two games too than just play the new stuff, and it still feels a bit too soon due to Requiem and so it's not as much of a priority. Then there is of course LBP, and World End Syndrome's also likely based on what Shizuka's said. And I'm saving Wintertide Miracles for the appropriate season, etc. etc.

I really just want to get back into VNs in general since "I want to finish DM first" was my obstacle to starting new ones for that whole time, which sucked. So I kinda have to train my brain to focus on them again while also balancing other games, since I was sometimes bad at playing through at a decent pace as is. Good training for focus in general, I suppose...

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I have been reading VN on and off for 10 years now, but I still consider myself fairly new to the genre as now actually being able to read most of them without any external help. I am very excited as there are tons of stuff available and promising new titles are also on the way.

Due to Soukoku no Arterial, I plan to go through the entire catalog of Eushully, starting from the very first Ikusa Megami. The number of their games are much fewer compared with Alicesoft so it should be manageable ("manageable" in the sense of spending 2000 hours on them lmao).

I look forward to playing Ryuusei World Actor next month and AI when it launches. Hype over the roof for the former and in complete media blackout for the latter.
Well I enjoy even the "bad" ero scenes in eroge. Utaware's never gets as out of place as Little Busters though.

As for Rance 01, the last scene is so well done, and it's also one of the better scenes from the newer OVA. Rance grows as a character, but he's an awful person, especially early on. It's funny since they have to somehow make you empathize with him by making the villains somehow worse than he is.
The epilogue is exactly how she is from now on. She has the craziest 180 in terms of personality, and becomes obsessive much to his dismay.
I was like "wait, what.....?" reading the ending lol. Come on! She has become a complete different person.
It was nice that they kept Glorious Days in the back of their hand until that scene.

(The last scene of 03 is pretty 'tight' as well)
Yay, look forward to it. So I guess Glorious Days is one of the iconic pieces of Rance? It is good.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have been reading VN on and off for 10 years now, but I still consider myself fairly new to the genre as now actually being able to read most of them without any external help. I am very excited as there are tons of stuff available and promising new titles are also on the way.

Due to Soukoku no Arterial, I plan to go through the entire catalog of Eushully, starting from the very first Ikusa Megami. The number of their games are much fewer compared with Alicesoft so it should be manageable ("manageable" in the sense of spending 2000 hours on them lmao).

I look forward to playing Ryuusei World Actor next month and AI when it launches. Hype over the roof for the former and in complete media blackout for the latter.
I was like "wait, what.....?" reading the ending lol. Come on! She has become a complete different person.

Yay, look forward to it. So I guess is Glorious Days one of the iconic pieces of Rance? It is good.
that character is great, and becomes a central character too
I love how she does take the title of Queen so she has real power. Also 03 is voiced so hearing Lia when she meets Rance is a trip.

My Glorious Days kind of doubles as a theme song and a "getting it on" song in later installments.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
that character is great, and becomes a central character too
I love how she does take the title of Queen so she has real power. Also 03 is voiced so hearing Lia when she meets Rance is a trip.

My Glorious Days kind of doubles as a theme song and a "getting it on" song in later installments.
I saw her on the cover art of Rance X, so I expect her to be one of the most important characters afterwards.
I am not one who hate a character, so very excited to see how she fares in the story in later entries.

Btw, once I realized the subtitle of 03 is "Fall of Leazas", I immediately went out and got Alice2010 and 03 because I want to know what happen at Leazas. Don't know if it is a good decision as I am still collecting things of 01 lol.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I saw her on the cover art of Rance X, so I expect her to be one of the most important characters afterwards.
I am not one who hate a character, so very excited to see how she fares in the story in later entries.

Btw, once I realized the subtitle of 03 is "Fall of Leazas", I immediately went out and got Alice2010 and 03 because I want to know what happen at Leazas. Don't know if it is a good decision as I am still collecting things of 01 lol.
Well the first two games are more character introductions and 3 gets things moving.

Also because tada is gone, I wouldn't wait on a 04. Not sure how you plan to do that one, but that's so far down the road that I wouldn't worry about it until you get there.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Well the first two games are more character introductions and 3 gets things moving.

Also because tada is gone, I wouldn't wait on a 04. Not sure how you plan to do that one, but that's so far down the road that I wouldn't worry about it until you get there.
I will probably just go for the old version. Don't feel that I can wait anyway. :)

Forgot today is when new games of the month rolling out. Going to see how Dead Days will be received.

===============================
Grabed the first Ikusa Megami and complete visual book of Soukoku no Arterial during the month-end sale of Trader. The visual book comes with the final append disc of Soukoku which is the main reason why I got it.

Btw, Josephl64, this may be of your interest. A new brand called Citrus just released their first game today, which is called Tasogare no Folclore. Citrus is actually a new brand set up by Navel, and this new title is a low-priced game with only one route. Not certain if it is going to be episodic.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
do I need a guide for root letter?

Not the first time through.

After that, get a guide and get ready to skip a chapter, make a choice, skip a chapter, make a choice, etc., only to arbitrarily have to fully redo the entire 8th(?) chapter every time.

or just quit now while you're ahead, or wait till the expanded rerelease if you really want to play it, I dunno

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm one of those people who was introduced to the Science Adventure series via Steins;Gate's anime adaptation. I was in love with that series when it was first running and obviously it came back around with the animation of SG0 (Currently watching the VN via YouTube LP). I didn't ever think too often about the series and assumed that SG was the best of the lot since I'd also watched the Chaos;Head adaptation around the same time and (though I don't remember much now) thought it was garbage.

Thankfully this video (~11 minutes & Limited Spoilers)came across my about Chaos;Child and how brilliant it was and the favorite of the host from the series even seemingly surpassing SG. Whislisted the game on Steam after that and didn't expect to buy it for a while but luckily our recent Steam sale was just a few days off.

20 minutes into the second chapter and I'm truly in love. The Science Adventure peeps know how to create a compelling mystery even more than some people producing modern prestige TV. All I can think about now is how badly I want a Sumo Sticker for my laptop. Expecting at least getting one ending by the 4th of July right now. Wish I could put all my time to it but with CrossCode and Bloodstained on my plate along with regular novels I'm reading, I need to pace myself. It's probably better I do anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those people who was introduced to the Science Adventure series via Steins;Gate's anime adaptation. I was in love with that series when it was first running and obviously it came back around with the animation of SG0 (Currently watching the VN via YouTube LP). I didn't ever think too often about the series and assumed that SG was the best of the lot since I'd also watched the Chaos;Head adaptation around the same time and (though I don't remember much now) thought it was garbage.

Thankfully this video (~11 minutes & Limited Spoilers)came across my about Chaos;Child and how brilliant it was and the favorite of the host from the series even seemingly surpassing SG. Whislisted the game on Steam after that and didn't expect to buy it for a while but luckily our recent Steam sale was just a few days off.

20 minutes into the second chapter and I'm truly in love. The Science Adventure peeps know how to create a compelling mystery even more than some people producing modern prestige TV. All I can think about now is how badly I want a Sumo Sticker for my laptop. Expecting at least getting one ending by the 4th of July right now. Wish I could put all my time to it but with CrossCode and Bloodstained on my plate along with regular novels I'm reading, I need to pace myself. It's probably better I do anyway.
I assume you've grabbed it, but if you haven't make sure to install the Committee of Zero fanpatch for the game:

It's a pretty large fan patch in terms of scope: It retranslates a bunch of lines, fixes the lip sync bug, translates the CGs, and also fixes the references to be more consistent with the rest of the Science;Adventure series. Highly recommended, simply because there's a part of the game later in where you're going to have to use a guide without the translated CGs.

I'm also close to wrapping up the game and I'm loving it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I assume you've grabbed it, but if you haven't make sure to install the Committee of Zero fanpatch for the game:

It's a pretty large fan patch in terms of scope: It retranslates a bunch of lines, fixes the lip sync bug, translates the CGs, and also fixes the references to be more consistent with the rest of the Science;Adventure series. Highly recommended, simply because there's a part of the game later in where you're going to have to use a guide without the translated CGs.

I'm also close to wrapping up the game and I'm loving it.
Oh damn thanks tons for this! It's funny that this patch completely bypassed me when I went searching for spoiler-free walkthroughs after hearing that the map for one of the major gameplay elements was untranslated. I'll make sure to install this before my next session with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn thanks tons for this! It's funny that this patch completely bypassed me when I went searching for spoiler-free walkthroughs after hearing that the map for one of the major gameplay elements was untranslated. I'll make sure to install this before my next session with the game.
No worries!

The only reason why I know about this is because it was originally the only way to play the game on PC in English (it required extracting the original script via Vita homebrew) prior to the Steam release.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Chaos;Child is really a very good visual novel, almost on par with Steins;Gate and 0, and much better than Chaos;Head (which is not required to play Chaos;Child, because the most important events are anyway recapped). To some people, the central part (after the first 2 chapters) could seem to have a slow pace, but it is the same as Steins;Gate; I actually appreciate when the story isn't rushed. Therew ill be a lot of plot twists, and I suggest you to complete all the endings to reach the True Ending, which is even more surprising - honestly, I didn't expect it at all!

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
My payment to amazon.jp was declined and now it seems that Fate reprint will be available again only on the 12th of july, damn...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Went back to read my scathing post here about Chaos Child to check how it sits with me now. Harshly worded, agreed, (the game got to me) but I generally stand by it. It was not at all for me. Almost everything it did rubbed me the wrong way 😭

Anyway, I'm wrapping up 428 Shibuya Scramble, finally. Fun ride. Though it is a bit overlong. I wouldn't have minded it being a third shorter.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, the map not being translated only really matters for one specific sequence.

It's ridiculous that it's untranslated for that sequence, of course. But at least it's not a frequent hassle or anything.

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Will the chaos;child patch also come to ps4?
Not likely. Though it's not like the game is unplayable without it (aside from the one map section that you can just google). You'll just run into more typos, untranslated (minor) background text and occasional inconsistencies.

That said, the Steam version is pretty cheap in the sale right now...

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I will probably just go for the old version. Don't feel that I can wait anyway. :)

Forgot today is when new games of the month rolling out. Going to see how Dead Days will be received.

===============================
Grabed the first Ikusa Megami and complete visual book of Soukoku no Arterial during the month-end sale of Trader. The visual book comes with the final append disc of Soukoku which is the main reason why I got it.

Btw, Josephl64, this may be of your interest. A new brand called Citrus just released their first game today, which is called Tasogare no Folclore. Citrus is actually a new brand set up by Navel, and this new title is a low-priced game with only one route. Not certain if it is going to be episodic.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't hear about Citrus. Also one look at Tasogare, and yeah Suzuhira Hiro is there with that classic style.

Looks interesting, I'll be sure to keep tabs on it.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
My payment to amazon.jp was declined and now it seems that Fate reprint will be available again only on the 12th of july, damn...
But why... It is literally everywhere here. Not selling out or not enough stock.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't hear about Citrus. Also one look at Tasogare, and yeah Suzuhira Hiro is there with that classic style.

Looks interesting, I'll be sure to keep tabs on it.
Personally, I love the Taisho aesthetic a lot due to my love towards Sakura Wars, buy feel hesitant to pick it up due to not knowing if it is an episodic release like 9-nine-. Like, I hear 9-nine- has really good story but I want to wait till all of them are out before starting to play them.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of any really bad issues I noticed with C;C on Vita. It's pretty much just the map and some typos and such.

And then I remember one scene being awkward because someone comments on the main character only calling a character by their last name, when they totally localized that away so he'd been using their first name just a few lines beforehand. But they handle that well for the much more focused on person that he's in the same situation for, so... at least they got that right, and that being a thing made it pretty clear what was supposed to have been happening in the awkward scene anyway.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
But why... It is literally everywhere here. Not selling out or not enough stock.
no idea
4tWAtYC.png

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks to your post, I remembered that I had an expired virtual card set for my Clannad pre-order... I changed in time since it will ship this week, so even unintentionally your post was helpful, I didn't remember anymore and the payment would have been declined also for me.

In the meantime, a general update and my personal opinions about the two visual novels I am playing at the moment: WorldEndSyndrome and Fate/Stay Night.

WorldEnd Syndome is quite intriguing, I barely played the first hour and half (around, I still don't know since the playtime does not appear on the Switch) but the cast seems already bigger than I thought. Besides the art is beautiful, for example the backgrounds are often animated! My only concern at the moment is that fact that the main character isn't voiced, it seels unnatural passing from voiced characters, but I suppose it is a voluntary choice, because he can named by the player. Unfortunately, at the moment I suspended it because of Mario Maker and the other VN, but I am looking forward to continue to play it, hoping to finish it before Fire Emblem (I doubt it, because of the thesis deadline incoming....)

Then, let's move on Fate/Stay Night, Heaven's Feel route. I am around Day 10-11, so I have still not completed it.
But I can already say that I am liking also this route (I am playing it in the all-ages version). This time I was able to predict that Sakura was Rider's Master as soon as her Servant saves Shirou - Shinj would have never given her a similar order. Nevertheless the fact that Sakura is Rin's sister was a surprising plot twist for me, I didn't expect it at all. Now I understand why in the previous routes Sakura was usually unsettled when Rin decided to stay over Shirou's house, because she is her sister and she didn't know ho to react sharing with her meals etc. And I suppose that, in the first route, Rin persuaded Sakura not coming any more to Shirou's house by telling her that it would have dangerous for him, knowing that she was a magus.
Moreover, the approach followed in this route is completely different from the other, as if the author wants to subvert all the player's expectations (which is obviouse, after two routes where the player find out almost everything about the Servants) - Shinji isn't Rider's Master, a new Assassin appears, a new enemy (Matou Zouken) appears together with a strange shadow, and besides... Saber died, defeated by Assassin. Or maybe didn't die? She appeared again in a "black" version, almost killing Shirou in the forest.
About Shirou's character, alsoo in this case his decisions are quite different. He doesn't want any more to be everyone's superhero like Archer, he just want to be Sakura's hero. And how their love is portrayed makes me fear about a sad ending for them. After all, Sakura is basically condamned to death because of the crest worm, whereas Shirou's left arm is Archer's arm and it is a sort of a time bombo (but I am sure he will use it in the final battle, maybe against black Saber).
Then, in all this big picture, I am still wondering which the roles of Kirei (who is saving everyone's life) and Gilgamesh will be - in particular the latter, who just appears in some interludes.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like even the digital copy has been scrapped:

Hello Backers!

Here's everything that happened between last month and now!

The console versions of WEE have been upgraded to the latest Unity for future proofing. We're now in the process of finalizing the port.

Once finalized we can start implementing platform specific requirements (i.e. PSN Achievements/etc). Once that is done we should be entering in to QA and bug fixing. Once we're done with QA/bug fixing we can submit the ports to the various console platforms.

We will be submitting them in order of how soon we finish each platform build. Backers who got the PSVita version will have the opportunity to switch to other platforms.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised?

Edit: Apparently, it's not -

"It's not cancelled. If you read the comments we clear up the situation. I've quoted it below for reference.
We're still planning PSVita releases, but we're also offering backers to switch to other platforms. We can't guarantee a physical release for PSVita though.
Thanks for reading!"

Last edited: