• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can one of you explain Umineko to me? I'm on Episode 2 and I don't really understand what is happening.
I've played Higurashi and in that game the different episodes were all....
alternate universes that Rika had to go through in order to obtain her and everyone's happy ending
But what's the case for this game? So far Episode 2 seems to be a different retelling of Episode 1 with deaths happening in different orders and in different ways but is it an alternate universe like Higurashi? It's confusing because I thought Battler wanted to prove his family's innocence regarding the first episode but now all the situations are different so what exactly is he arguing? Please feel free to spoil because while I enjoy the theatrics of all this it's hard to really engage with it when I don't really understand it.

I'm only on episode 4 of Umineko and have only watched Higurashi (that was a long time ago though) but "I don't really understand what's happening" sounds fine because imo I don't think you're really supposed to get what's going on yet.

And I don't think it's really so much about proving his family's innocence, I mean

Battler's main goal is to deny witches exist and prove that the murders can all be done by humans. Inevitably (and this comes up) this means that someone close to him must be suspected.

The question episodes so far look like various AUs where Beatrice comes up with several ways to stump Battler and prove witches do exist. Basically they're just playing a game.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The meta layer of Umineko was always a little hard to understand, it's supposed to be a battle of wits between Battler and Beatrice but the rules are pretty loose and it's never fully explained how it really works.

Like, is Battler limited to only see what Beatrice allows him to? Is he able to influence the actions of his other self (his 'piece' on the game board)? What about Beatrice?

If you think about it like a straight up game it becomes pretty nonsensical because Battler is always in an enormous disadvantage, but at the same time he also has practically unlimited continues because the game won't ever end unless he decides to admit his lose.

The best way to wrap your head around it is to think about it like if it was the commentary of a movie: Battler and Beatrice are spectators of the story, just like the player. They don't have any real control of the game board, the only thing they can do is talk about what is happening and throw shit at each other.

It's a neat concept and I ended up really liking it, but it's poorly explained.

Man, Umineko was a wild ride. Some of my fondest memories of gaming are from the times when the translation of a new episode was released and you had to get trought it ASAP to be able to join the discussion. Witch Hunt did an amazing job translating these games.

Last edited:

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Baldr Sky was out on Steam. I remember looking at the gameplay screenshots a long time ago and wanting to play it. Anyone have any impressions on the game? Is it worth buying?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Can one of you explain Umineko to me? I'm on Episode 2 and I don't really understand what is happening.
I've played Higurashi and in that game the different episodes were all....
alternate universes that Rika had to go through in order to obtain her and everyone's happy ending
But what's the case for this game? So far Episode 2 seems to be a different retelling of Episode 1 with deaths happening in different orders and in different ways but is it an alternate universe like Higurashi? It's confusing because I thought Battler wanted to prove his family's innocence regarding the first episode but now all the situations are different so what exactly is he arguing? Please feel free to spoil because while I enjoy the theatrics of all this it's hard to really engage with it when I don't really understand it.
It will make more sense later, don't think about it too much and just roll with it using your knowledge of Higurashi.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How do you guys rate Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception/Truth? Both games are on sale as a bundle for $12.50. Do I need to watch the anime series before playing?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
No real details yet, but Tomio Kanazawa from Toybox announced a sequel to World End Syndrome in one of those 4Gamer year end interviews. It will be called "World End Phenomenon".

あと勝手に問題発言をすると、「ワールドエンド・シンドローム」の続編は「ワールドエンド・フェノメナン」です
source: 4Gamer

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Needs to be the anime for the original, first game. It looks a bit dated, but it's pretty fun.

This is the anime I started. It just says "Utawarerumono" so I assume it's the first anime.

Screenshot-20191228-101335-Funimation-Now.jpg

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm at the final trial in Danganronpa V3, with all the stuff i've heard about the ending i'm a bit nervous lol

I have enjoyed the game quite a lot so far, however it may end i don't think i'm going to regret my time with it.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, I think the "hate" for the ending of V3 is a bit overblow. I can understand why it's controversial, but I don't think worth dwelling on it too much. Definitely saw far worse endings.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Baldr Sky was out on Steam. I remember looking at the gameplay screenshots a long time ago and wanting to play it. Anyone have any impressions on the game? Is it worth buying?

Baldr Sky is a release compilation of Baldr Sky Dive1 and Dive2 both of which are 50+ hr vns. My impressions are based on the rain route of the Dive1, but so far it's quite strong and features mecha action gameplay that holds up extremely well to scrutiny and is reminiscent of build a combo games like God Hand. The main strength of the story is the pacing. Few scenes drag on for too long especially when applied to how the main character is an amnesiac trying to piece together his past. There's a lot to like here even early on.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

They're working with Frontwing and Liar-soft
Both games will release for PC in 2020 and will include Japanese, English, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese languages.

They're aimed at all ages, and Aniplex intends to work on games everyone can enjoy, including those who love visual novels today, those who have in the past, and those who never tried them.

Last edited:

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
God I've been away from the VN game for too long. Saw Bokuten was actually out and picked it up, Overdrive became one of my fav devs when Kira☆Kira/Edelweiss hit. Heard this one's a rough one so I'm prepping for that.

+Rough in the thematic sense

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Bought three games in the past weekend. Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: Hihoutou Aratanaru Sangeki, Busou Shoujotai Blade☆Briders and Tamayura Mirai.

Already started playing Kindaichi. It was acted as a continuation of one of my favorite story in the manga, the murder case of Hihoutou (an excellent pun: it means "treasure island", and also "the island from which bad news come"). Like the original story, the atmosphere of this game is very eerily. I just played for one hour and had to put down the controller to rest a bit. A mix of good music, use of sound effects and dated graphics are really something to make people feel scared. Maybe I should play a bit of Tamayura Mirai to adjust my mind.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Impressed with Grisaia's polish. Finally, getting to play the trilogy on console in english is a bless.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Josephl64 the news of Alicesoft's latest game is out.
Yeah, and I'm really excited about it. We had no news for several months, and sure there's not much new, but I'm glad for an update.

2020 here we go~

Most of the blog was rambling and jokes always though. Artstyle's just stunning, and is even making a friend who doesn't play eroge interested.

Also things look a little different from the clip we saw several months back, but that's probably for the best since it was rather rough.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I'm really excited about it. We had no news for several months, and sure there's not much new, but I'm glad for an update.

2020 here we go~

Most of the blog was rambling and jokes always though. Artstyle's just stunning, and is even making a friend who doesn't play eroge interested.

Also things look a little different from the clip we saw several months back, but that's probably for the best since it was rather rough.
I really love the UI and art of the game. Looks colorful and fun and thus fitting the title (let's do bad things together). I scanned through the blog and just see THAT word so often so I decided to skip reading lol. Anyway, I am also look forward to playing it.

Talking about 2020, I wonder if 9-nine- is going to end with the fourth episode which will be releasing in April. I want to start playing the series if it does, but sadly there is no way to tell if it is the finale.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Impressed with Grisaia's polish. Finally, getting to play the trilogy on console in english is a bless.

I've managed to reach the end of Eden a few days ago and there's indeed very few problems there, at best a handful of clunky sentences structures, rarely something like a doubled word and I can't even remember any typos. Really nice work and not something you're used to from other publishers like PQube (who I do like a lot, but these sort of issues crop of regularly in their releases).

I'm not one to get enraged when H scenes are cut from VNs for general release as long as that doesn't totally screw up the game, but I'm also not at all opposed to lewd stuff either - I'm e.g. totally fine with AI in that regard and got along with Yu-No (that one changed image is so stupid, though) or Our World is Ended as well.

But for some reason I did dabble with the unrated editions of Grisaia afterwards (to see what's up with the missing epilogue and general curiosity), and well... I kind of feel dirty now. Not just the non-canon Masturbation Station stuff, but the "regular" in-game H scenes are so far beyond wrong at times, I feel they're actively damaging the rest of the story and making me dislike everyone involved, not just Yujii. Ew. I can't believe they made me actively approve censoring...

And did I get that right, japanese voice acting somehow isn't allowed to utter the word "penis" or variations thereof? Or what we're the peeps popping up frequently in the flood of obscene dialogue?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Experience successfully crowdfunded the third Spirit Hunter game - Shibito Magire - last week. To celebrate, there are some great sales on the previous two games going on right now:

eshop US & EU: Death Mark is currently $19.99 instead of $49.99 and NG is on sale for the first time ever (50% off, $24.99 instead of $49.99)

Same on US PSN for both PS4 & Vita: Death Mark 60% off, NG 50% off

Highly recommend both games and very happy that EXP is getting the chance to develop a third one.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
am very fond of "blue skies dystopia" settings that only the Japanese seem to do, Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko etc. so looking forward to this.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Currently playing The Fruit of Grisaia, I finished Makina's and Amane's route. I have just begun Sachi's route and I have already played this game for more than 40 hours, it will take me so long to reach the final ending of this series. But it is worth it, without doubt. The characterization of the characters is amazing, it is incredible how the "normal" life shown in the common route hides such serious prolems of tragic backstories. In particular, the flashback represented in Amane's route is something incredible.
The representation of how a community of people, trapped in a place from which they cannot leave any more, eventually turns into a community of animals is so realistic and crude at the same time. I had the feeling, from the first moment, that it would have been the ending of that tragedy, and it really was so. Kazuki is a wonderful character, too. I am sure she is alive, it is clear from the bad ending, since she was able to hid those objects after leaving Amane. However, I am also sure she will appear either in the second or in the third game, so I will have to wait far more.
The game really digs up human problems, showing how they could (or could not) be resolved without hidding the most cruelest aspects.
About the H scenes, anyway, I am noticing that even if they are removed, they are not rewritten, like it happened for Fate. They simply skip them, but it is obvious the characters had sex. I think it is a good choice, probably even better in my opinion.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
About the H scenes, anyway, I am noticing that even if they are removed, they are not rewritten, like it happened for Fate. They simply skip them, but it is obvious the characters had sex. I think it is a good choice, probably even better in my opinion.

Also a handful of pictures are modified to hide nudity or sexual acts, mainly in connection to Amane (the most obvious one being the snapshot on the smartphone). It definitely is a very good thing the H scenes are out, they almost feel like charater assassination to me (and make my wish I had't looked at the unrated versions after all). I have no issues at all with smut in games if it fits the whole experience, and to me it's the contrary to that in unrated Grisaia.

As for the character routes, I found it a bit strange that while each has two ends that supposed are good and bad, sometimes both felt like different degrees of bad or almost equally positive.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The more people that can play Uta the better.

I'm pretty excited that we are getting the first one, finally. I remember in the mid 2000s when the anime came out, looking up details in the VN that would "never" come here. I was excited to get the OVAs too, for additional stories with familiar screenshots that I used to look up.

Still need to finish Mask of Deception/Truth though... a lot longer than I had thought! The awful anime adaptation was just... so different, and I had no idea how much more involved with the characters the actual VNs would be... I wonder how the upcoming anime for the sequel will be :x

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I love all the SciAdv games and was wondering if there are games that are similar. I just finished The Somnium Files and I guess it's not a full VN, but I really enjoyed it.

Oct 25, 2017
I love all the SciAdv games and was wondering if there are games that are similar. I just finished The Somnium Files and I guess it's not a full VN, but I really enjoyed it.
If you enjoyed AI, I'm curious: Have you read the Zero Escape games? They're written by the writer of AI: The Somnium Files, and are fantastic.

A bundle for the first two games (The Nonary Games) is available on PS4, Vita and PC.

store.steampowered.com

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games on Steam

Kidnapped and taken to an unfamiliar location, nine people find themselves forced to participate in a diabolical Nonary Game by an enigmatic mastermind called Zero. Why were they there? Why were they chosen to put their lives on the line? And more importantly, who can be trusted?

It goes on sale pretty often. If you don't mind playing on PS4 or Vita, they're on sale on the NA PSN store right now as well.

Other than that, I'd probably recommend 428 Shibuya Scramble (PC & PS4: Fantastic game, with a great mystery and sense of humor) and The House in Fata Morgana (PC with enhanced PS4/Vita versions, and a new Switch/PC releases of that enhanced version on the way later this year).

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
If you enjoyed AI, I'm curious: Have you read the Zero Escape games? They're written by the writer of AI: The Somnium Files, and are fantastic.

A bundle for the first two games (The Nonary Games) is available on PS4, Vita and PC.

store.steampowered.com

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games on Steam

Kidnapped and taken to an unfamiliar location, nine people find themselves forced to participate in a diabolical Nonary Game by an enigmatic mastermind called Zero. Why were they there? Why were they chosen to put their lives on the line? And more importantly, who can be trusted?

It goes on sale pretty often. If you don't mind playing on PS4 or Vita, they're on sale on the NA PSN store right now as well.

Other than that, I'd probably recommend 428 Shibuya Scramble (PC & PS4: Fantastic game, with a great mystery and sense of humor) and The House in Fata Morgana (PC with enhanced PS4/Vita versions, and a new Switch/PC releases of that enhanced version on the way later this year).
Yep, I bought all the Zero Escape games on release date on DS and Vita. Loved those too! I actually picked up 428 Shibuya Scramble about 2 weeks ago. Best Buy has it on clearance for $30.

I had heard about Morgana before but never looked into it.

Last edited:

Ehud

Jun 20, 2019
What are some of the best Visual Novels on iOS? Going on a trip and was thinking about buying one to help pass the time.