• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
You guys, it was a joke answer. We're never getting Muramasa and we're never getting newer chapters of Higurashi

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
At least sometimes they release a higurashi chapter, i'm still waiting for sona-nyl which was announced in august 2016.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The next few months are freaking packed with new titles. Many big names are releasing their latest titles, like Sugar Style from SMEE or Evenicle 2 from Alicesoft.

Personally, I am extremely hyped towards さくら、もゆ from FAVORITE and アオナツライン from GIGA. The former has a demo but I refuse to spoil myself before getting my hands on the full game. From what I read, impressions are extremely positive so I am not worried. The latter has gorgeous art. It seems to be the perfect game for summer.
You guys, it was a joke answer. We're never getting Muramasa and we're never getting newer chapters of Higurashi
I have played Muramasa with Chinese fan translation when I was still a pirate (sorry...). I remember spending 45 hours on one single route. It is absurdly long.

I have dropped it after completing said route for some reasons unrelated to the game. The story is excellent. Some people don't like the fights because there are too many sword fighting explanations. But I enjoyed every minute of them. I will probably get a copy in the future to finish the rest.

Good luck waiting for localization though. I do not think it will get one, to be honest, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Looks like NEKO WORKs is working on two visual novels which are not Nekopara related

The first game is titled "Aplistos no Enkan" (Aplistos is presumably Greek for "Greedy" and "Enkan" is a Torus in Japanese. It roughly translates into "The Torus of Greed"). It's described as "Pure love visual novel from the shadows of myth."

The second title is named "Nie no Hakoniwa" (which translates into "Miniature Garden of Sacrifice"). It's described as "even crazier love and hate visual novel"

WARNING: one of the images in the article gallery could be considered a bit NSFW
https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/nekopara-anime/

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
What are people's fav VNs of the year?
I didn't read as many as I wanted to but enjoyed Tsujidousan no Jun'ai Road and Island, Newton was OKish and the rest were forgettable.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Fata Morgana fandisk, and most probably 428.
I also played through Chaos;Child, Umineko Answers and all three Utawarerumono titles, but all of these are older.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
428, followed by Requiem, maybe then Chaos;Child if we're counting older games I played this year, C;R Future Blessings, Death Mark?

I'm probably forgetting something. If we're talking IF in general, I'd put ESC ahead of Death Mark.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having VNDB comes in super handy here. According to the vote history, my Visual Novel of the Year is Mono no Aware wa Sai no Koro. which doesn't surprise me because the novel has at minimum decent quality in all aspects, and the writers use board game element in a really fun way.

My English translated VNOTY of 2018 is Island.

Also god dang it, that Muramasa fake news got me excited because it deserves to be read by everyone.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Having VNDB comes in super handy here. According to the vote history, my Visual Novel of the Year is Mono no Aware wa Sai no Koro. which doesn't surprise me because the novel has at minimum decent quality in all aspects, and the writers use board game element in a really fun way.

Also god dang it, that Muramasa fake news got me excited because it deserves to be read by everyone.
Is that one actually decent? it looked like lolis on a a mysterious island.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You mean Island? I don't remember VN resorting to that much stupid moe appeal; it's all ages game after all. It doesn't even have that much romance.

To be honest, most scenes in Island are just "decent" and I wouldn't really rate it excellent. However, I already read many good VNs in English way back before 2018 so it wins just via lack of viable competitors.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played over twenty VNs this year, but none of them came out in 2018, so no VN GotY for me. My favorite old VN this year is Family Project. Played through it again and still every bit as good as I remember. Looking forward to Waka-sama no Zasuru Sekai .

Holy shit I think I just found the way to make Steins;Gate tolerable: mute the protagonist and Faris. This time nothing is gonna stop me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
What are people's fav VNs of the year?
I didn't read as many as I wanted to but enjoyed Tsujidousan no Jun'ai Road and Island, Newton was OKish and the rest were forgettable.
Sabbat of the Witch. I need to stop myself from playing it because I am too obsessed lol
Never judge a VN by its cover as well as title. There is one VN released this year has a stupid as fuck title and nukige cover, yet many considered it to have one of the best story in this year. I am talking about 抜きゲーみたいな島に住んでる貧乳(わたし)はどうすりゃいいですか? .

Haven't played it though so don't know why it is good.

Sounds like you need to check out Amazing Grace which was released last month. Same writer as your VNOTY. Very positive receptions too.

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
After watching the Clannad anime, want to play the game, what are the differences between the PS4/PC release, any of those have less key herpy derpy faces? Do I also have to buy the tomoyo after and the side stories?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After watching the Clannad anime, want to play the game, what are the differences between the PS4/PC release, any of those have less key herpy derpy faces? Do I also have to buy the tomoyo after and the side stories?
You don't have to buy Tomoyo after, and all versions have the same Key face. In fact, Tomoyo's route is written so badly I don't know why there is an after story.

Last edited:

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I think the only difference is that the PS4 version uses cropped 16:9 CGs where the PC version has the artwork at its original aspect ratio.

None of the side content is necessary.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from PS4/PC, Switch version is also coming, and it has English too. It is now planned to launch in Spring.

===================================================
Getchu.com has just released the sales ranking of VN in 2018. No specific data. I am not posting the link due to NSFW reason.
  1. RIDDLE JOKER (Yuzusoft) ¥9,504
  2. Onee-chan no Yuuwaku (hibiki works) ¥5,184
  3. Summer Pockets (Key) ¥9,504
  4. Fuukan no Grasesta (Eushully) ¥10,584
  5. Rance X (ALICESOFT) ¥10,584
  6. Motto! Haramase! Honoo no Oppai Isekai Ero Mahou Gakuen! (Milk Factory) ¥9,504
  7. Raspberry Cube (Madosoft) ¥9,990
  8. Nukige Mitai na Shima ni Sunderu Watashi wa Dou Surya Ii Desu ka? (Qruppo) ¥9,504
  9. Bosei Kanojo -Shikyuu Kikan Hen- (Akabei Soft2) ¥3,024
  10. WHITE ALBUM2 EXTENDED EDITION (Leaf) ¥7,344
The ranking is only applied for sales from Getchu, but it should be representative to the whole VN market in Japan.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Maybe it's just me does anyone else feel weird seeing this constant coverage and glorification of Bandersnatch as some never before seen achievement of film interactivity when it just plays like a live action visual novel?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Maybe it's just me does anyone else feel weird seeing this constant coverage and glorification of Bandersnatch as some never before seen achievement of film interactivity when it just plays like a live action visual novel?
It borrows from chose your own adventure novels which are a bigger phenomenon than visual novels in the West. Though Western devs taking VN tropes and selling them as new and innovative to a larger audience is not exactly new.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to buy Tomoyo after, and all versions have the same Key face. In fact, Tomoyo's route is written so badly I don't know why there is an after story.
I see Tomoyo reason for liking Tomoya was already flimsy AF in the anime, gotta like this dude because my route is in the VN flimsy.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The fact that Tomoyo is the most popular character in Clannad is pretty damning of Otaku consumer demographic, really. Besides being super flimsy her route always felt like it had an element of extreme devotion. Though to be fair, it was back in the past where fandom raised pitchforks for most stupid reasons like character's virginity and what not.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked Tomoyo's route a lot but I also played Clannad uhhhhhh a long time ago.

Ehhh, I wouldn't say VNs are the direct comparison at all. In fact, you're sorta falling into the same pit they are, of not realizing how much history there is to this kind of media, hah.

It's infuriating to me because of the history of interactive fiction in general, especially due to that being much more accessible in the West. But not just the coverage as much as that (from the outside, I admittedly have not tried it myself) the work itself seems up its own ass about that, not to mention mental illness too.

I don't know how someone can possibly think they have a brilliant, unique, revelatory thought about "what if it's not really free will... because you're making choices" and that shit, and surface level simulation theory and what not. All these extremely basic "deconstructions" of interactive media that they have no real experience with.

Like... people have been making IF for decades, c'mon. Not all video games are Pac-Man or FPSs. People have obviously explored the idea you're trying to do before, probably in ways better than you're doing, not only for entertainment but maybe even academic work. You could make something way more interesting if you actually built off of past work!

But I guess just being vaguely meta about it and ~is he crazy or not~ is enough for a mainstream audience to believe it's something new. So I can't really care about it in relation to VNs, cause it's only tangentially related. But I do care a lot about the history of IF in general, which notably with the advent of Twine (which apparently Bandersnatch itself used) and other development tools in recent years has become extremely accessible to and accepting of poor/marginalized devs that have done a lot of good work in that space, being kinda paved over because someone with a budget did a thing.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Finally finished up The House of Fata Morgana tonight. Really loved it. I got most of the endings along the way (reloading saves etc.) and went back and got the one I'd missed and did the prologue and back story thing.

Definitely my favorite visual novel to date. I bought Requiem of Innocence in the Steam sale and will dive into that after a break to play some other things.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Bit of am odd question but when does marcissu 1's story start to improve? I know visual novels tend to have a dull slow start :x

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Bandersnatch was good. Not because it was original in any way, but because it pushed IF to the mainstream.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finally finished up The House of Fata Morgana tonight. Really loved it. I got most of the endings along the way (reloading saves etc.) and went back and got the one I'd missed and did the prologue and back story thing.

Definitely my favorite visual novel to date. I bought Requiem of Innocence in the Steam sale and will dive into that after a break to play some other things.
I'm a decent chunk into the game (hit a few endings + just started the Fifth Door) and I'm really enjoying it. Things started getting weird in a fun way where I left off so I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I know I'm alone in this, especially from what you guys said on the last page, but my game of the year actually is Rance 10.

It was an ending that was pretty well executed, and having a part 2 as part of a free patch to play through after you beat the game was more than welcome.

I do enjoy the RPG mechanics, but yeah...if you don't like Rance, it's not like I can't comprehend why. Might as well stick to Evenicle 2 which is coming out in just 1 month.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I know I'm alone in this, especially from what you guys said on the last page, but my game of the year actually is Rance 10.

It was an ending that was pretty well executed, and having a part 2 as part of a free patch to play through after you beat the game was more than welcome.

I do enjoy the RPG mechanics, but yeah...if you don't like Rance, it's not like I can't comprehend why. Might as well stick to Evenicle 2 which is coming out in just 1 month.
I need to check the localized Rance games ( 6 & 5D I think ? ), Sengoku Rance with a fan translation was my favorite game of the year when I discovered it years ago.

Really liked Evenicle last year... I'm a sucker for VN "with gameplay" ( don't really know how to call them ) and well tbh if there is H content, even better.

On that note, I'm still hoping we will finaly see some Eushully's game getting an english release..

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never got into Rance because there's no VA. Looking forward to Evenicle 2 but it got delayed to the same date as Guild Master, so that's unfortunate.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I need to check the localized Rance games ( 6 & 5D I think ? ), Sengoku Rance with a fan translation was my favorite game of the year when I discovered it years ago.

Really liked Evenicle last year... I'm a sucker for VN "with gameplay" ( don't really know how to call them ) and well tbh if there is H content, even better.

On that note, I'm still hoping we will finaly see some Eushully's game getting an english release..

Yeah, 5D and 6 are the officially localized ones, and I think 1(not 01), 02, 3, 4, 4.1, 4.2, Kichikuou, and 7(Sengoku) all were fan tl'd.

I wouldn't really know what to call them either, I guess VN/RPG hybrids? Never had to bother differentiating. I still have to get used to not calling them adventure games on boards like this.

Really hoping for Eushully titles too as they deserve more love. They alongside Alicesoft are really the ones holding up this sub-genre for me. And it's not really a secret that Alicesoft is my favorite company.

I never got into Rance because there's no VA. Looking forward to Evenicle 2 but it got delayed to the same date as Guild Master, so that's unfortunate.

Having played old Alicesoft games for so long it wasn't something that I really noticed until 03 came around. It's a shame that Rance 10 didn't have voice acting, but I get why since the cast is ridiculously large. At least from now on their games should all have voice acting since Rance was that legacy carry-over.

The release date is unfortunate. So much so that I had to make the tough decision of not picking up Smash so that I could get Evenicle 2 & Fire Emblem instead.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also it's been a couple days, but here you go:

865c1d25.png

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
As someone still wondering what the f*ck happended with the PC version of Punchline, I have a very hard time getting exited with anything PQube.

Yeah that's kinda weird. Announced and then... nothing?

I wonder if PQube or Spike will be publishing the localized Tookyo Gsmes titles?

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
So I have been playing Sabbat of the Witch, really having fun, and now I'm looking forward for more yuzusoft from Nekonyan since Dracu-riot! seems stalled.