• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vivian

Oct 26, 2017
England
Oh, I didn't realise the Japanese Switch version was cancelled as well. That's a shame; the Switch would be great for VNs...

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Reading text is like the last thing I want to do in VR. I find any sequences in VR games where I'm not in control to be pretty unengaging, staring at 2D images and reading text with a headset on sounds like a bad time.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, VR VN sounds pretty interesting to me. Would make focusing easier, at least. Don't have a whole lot of experience with VR, though.

But yeah, what Shizuka said. It's an annoying meme by now, but I'd definitely play every single VR I'm interested in on the Switch if it was possible.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
First time posting in this thread, hello. I'm interested in playing Steins Gate but I only play on PS4, so Elite is the only option for me. But according to people here the game isn't very good. Would watching the anime basically be the same as playing Elite?

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finished Fata Morgana. Loved it, and the post-completion Backstage extra was a fun and sweet coda. Will definitely be picking up the prequel at some point.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First time posting in this thread, hello. I'm interested in playing Steins Gate but I only play on PS4, so Elite is the only option for me. But according to people here the game isn't very good. Would watching the anime basically be the same as playing Elite?
You can mute the protagonist in game, that's a big plus for me.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want to mute Okabe?

Anyway, Elite is a really frustrating release, but it is probably fine to go with if it's your only option. It's just not going to look as nice and all that. But you'll get Phenogram, so there's that... I'm probably still grudgingly buying it just for that, unless we can buy it digitally separately.

You could always just play on PC though (but I guess there's probably no Mac version?), or... your phone, I guess, maybe? There's may be some viable options even if you don't have PS3/Vita.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yup. I always prefer VNs to have voiced protagonist because it means he/she is a distinct character rather than typical cookie cutter faceless mook. Guess it's matter of preference though; my first priority in reading the VN is to read a story, rather than immerse myself as the protagonist. It's probably why I like not only voiced protagonist, but also enforced route order & kinetic novel etc. that is indicator of linear plot. Others probably don't which is why they deviate towards VN that have greater choices and gameplay content.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me wrong I like voiced protagonist.WA2 is one of my favorite games of all time and Haruki's voice acting is a huge factor. It's just every time Okabe opens his mouth it makes me want to kill myself.

Last edited:

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Had not played VN for some times ( well except for Evenicle, but it's more gameplay than reading ) but after reading some people opinion on it I gave Sabbat of the Witch a try and it was really fun to play.

Made me want to keep that pace now that I can stream them on my phone with Parsec, currently giving a new try to fruits of grisaia, and I now remember why I previously stopped playing it. The pace is atrociously slow. Like reallllllly slow.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you want to mute Okabe?

Anyway, Elite is a really frustrating release, but it is probably fine to go with if it's your only option. It's just not going to look as nice and all that. But you'll get Phenogram, so there's that... I'm probably still grudgingly buying it just for that, unless we can buy it digitally separately.

You could always just play on PC though (but I guess there's probably no Mac version?), or... your phone, I guess, maybe? There's may be some viable options even if you don't have PS3/Vita.
Is Phenogram a sequel? I imagine I need to play Elite and 0 first?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Reading text is like the last thing I want to do in VR. I find any sequences in VR games where I'm not in control to be pretty unengaging, staring at 2D images and reading text with a headset on sounds like a bad time.
The problem I find with VR headsets is that they're really, really not designed for reading text, due to how it has to be displayed on a 3D plane. The smaller the text, the more the resolution negatively affects it, and the more cross-eyed I feel having to focus on it to be able to read it.

Very few games get text in VR right. It has to be bold and obvious, and VNs don't sit well with impact fonts and bolded text.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Is Phenogram a sequel? I imagine I need to play Elite and 0 first?

It's a sequel but it came out before 0 in Japan. In Japan Elite on PS4 came with a remaster of it; they're just weirdly preserving that here even though we never got it before, so it's being localized just for that? Which is nice, but... yeah, weird.

It's, to my understanding, more of a short story collection across different alternate timelines, from different perspectives and by different authors. IIRC there's some implication that parts of it might matter for the series going forward?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
By the way, how were critics of Zanki Zero in Japan? Normally I don't like survival games, but if the story is good I might buy it.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

I'm pretty closely following the development of a western VR visual novel and I can assure you with the right setup it's significantly more engaging. First time a character made actual eye contact with me was crazy.

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The full voice version of Kindred Spirits is now available on Mangagamer's website, as well as the upgrade patch for the original version of the game. It should be up on Steam tomorrow if you prefer to buy through there instead.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody know how to check your playtime in Danganronpa 1 on PS4? It's driving me insane.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
...is Our World is Ended even available for pre-order anywhere in NA? I get the feeling that those bonuses might just be for EU...

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think so, maybe I'm blind.
I finished the game yesterday and there were many WTF moments. I'm starting the sequel tonight ASAP, because hopefully some questions that aren't explained in the ending will be answered.
You are accesing the savegame from the main os menu? iirc it shows date/size/hours played or at least in some games it does.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
so Steiner has two announcements in the next couple of weeks

I'm assuming one is Interview with Kaziklu Bey due to not-so-suble teasing, he also said something about a "big" announcement in march.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Sekai Project announced WABISABI

Sekai Project announced that they will publish the Le:CODE visual novel WABISABI on PC-via Steam in 2019.
Directed by Yoshino Shinichi, with character designs by Aoi Yun, and scenario writer Kashi Youhei, there isn't much information about the game available. However, the game will be available in Japanese, Chinese, and English and is in the very early stages of development. The studio will provide more information soon about the game's story and its characters.

Le:Code is a developer who mainly focuses on mobile and PC titles. Their first title, Maid to Partita was released for iOS and Android devices. WABISABI will be the first of their titles released in the west.

https://noisypixel.net/wabisabi-announced-coming-west-steam/