• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHotHot

Oct 27, 2017
Also Valve has rejected Kara no Shoujo 2 and Cartagra

I was pretty happy when Valve announced they would let 18+ content on the platform but the inconsistent and opaque way they're handling it is really absurd and frustrating.

It's a shame games "journalists" are all useless or someone could try and talk to them about it. Maybe I'll email Gabe and complain.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I was pretty happy when Valve announced they would let 18+ content on the platform but the inconsistent and opaque way they're handling it is really absurd and frustrating.

It's a shame games "journalists" are all useless or someone could try and talk to them about it. Maybe I'll email Gabe and complain.

Also:

751440 Removed store name – VR Kanojo / VRカノジョ
991470 Removed store name – Late-night Nurse Call

Honestly. I dont get it.
You have those 12142145 hentai puzzle games with loli art and whatnot on Steam and literally every day 3 new storepages about those go up.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
anyway Kaziklu Bey prologue is available on YT to watch/read for people interested, it's on the official light channel

edit: I removed the link, some of the stuff said can be disturbing I suppose, no NSFW risk though as it's just bey talking.

Last edited:

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
So if Steam keeps messing up with VN's here, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stop bothering.

What is the next best unified client/store for VN's then? Manga gamer, JAST?

Gah, the Steam stuff has me heated. None of it makes sense with the stuff that gets okayed Vs. deny. >_<

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I would say JAST + MG cover almost all the pubs nowadays. The former has also regional pricing and since the first time Steam was banning VN a lot of pubs started to publish games on multiple stores.
GOG sells some all-ages ones.
Fakku has some adult VN games as well.
Sol press launched a platform but no idea how it's doing.
Stay the hell away from Denpasoft, you cannot download games from your account page, you need the link they send in the email and if you lose the email you need to contact support to get another email with a link (lol).

Personally I'll keep using Steam when possible, the pther stores have infinitely more chance of giing bankrupt (and leave me with no downloadable games)

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I would say JAST + MG cover almost all the pubs nowadays. The former has also regional pricing and since the first time Steam was banning VN a lot of pubs started to publish games on multiple stores.
Stay the hell away from Denpasoft, you cannot download games from your account page, you need the link they send in the email and if you lose the email you need to contact support to get another email with a link (lol).

Personally I'll keep using Steam when possible, the pther stores have infinitely more chance of giing bankrupt (and leave me with no downloadable games)

Note: Sol Press hasn't launched their platform Hyourin yet. It's still under development. It's supposed to be a full on client that will also support automatic updates/patching and such so if it works it could be a good alternate to steam as I don't think any of the big VN stores like JAST have that yet. Though whether they manage to pull it off properly remains to be seen.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Well same here tbh, emphasis on "when possible" though. That's the part that's irking me so much. Wish it wasn't something we'd even have to consider. :(

It just feels like, kinda weird, almost being forced to buy VN's as quick as they come up now because you never know when or what Valve will ban next despite the stance they said they were gonna take...

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Sekai Project posted several updates regarding Kickstarters. Fatal Twelve's Chinese translation is being put in the game, Tokyo Chronos' Steam/Oculus release is on track for March 20th, the wrong amount of My Girlfriend is a Mermaid keys were requested from Nintendo so they are requesting more, and they are now in need of a programmer for Clockwork.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I enjoyed it, but I REALLY like chuni stuff.
5JDetYh.png

The game is about 30 hours too long. I enjoy verbal diarrhoea (being a fan of Monogatari), but it was just too much at times.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-no-sekai-a-visual-novel-by-favorite/comments

Wow, looks like there is a chance that Irotoridori might not make it :/ No full trilogy either. Been a while since I've seen a VN do so poorly (and I never even heard of the campaign until several days into it starting). It MIGHT be able to squeak by at the last minute, but no trilogy, for sure :/

How haven't people cancelled Sekai Project already? Some people really don't learn.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Honestly VN Kickstarters seem to have become too dangerous and too much.

Why should I back something that will, as other pubs showed us, will most likely have some problem in production?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not even just Kickstarters. Even beyond them, VNs released by the bigger publishers just seem to take a long, long time to come out in many cases. Which, like... don't get me wrong. Translating and editing takes time, especially when we're considering the sheer length of certain VNs. And that's what costs money, so it's not like it can easily be started let alone finished before crowdfunding starts.

But personally that makes it hard to back the rare thing I actually would be interested in, because I cannot trust that it'll be out anywhere even close to when it's promised. Especially as the one time that I did do that - Root Double - they frequently just didn't update, for long stretches of time, when even a quick "Hey, things are still going." every few weeks would be enough. And then it took like a year to get my Vita version, which I now still haven't played as my VN backlog's grown even more over time, when it wouldn't have been a problem when it was supposed to be out...

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
To all Japanese readers here, I would like to recommend the demo of Liarsoft's latest work, Alpha Nighthawk. It is a sci-fi story under the premise that a giant rose had appeared above Earth 300 years ago and its stink will attack city on Earth every 100 years. I have played 30-45 mins of it (just reach the opening movie) and I feel that this is going to become something special. It is mind-blowing that, according to advertising from Liar, the planning, story, and art are done by ONE person. Not going to continue playing because I am convinced that this is a must buy for me. It releases on 29th March. Very excited to see how the story will unfold.

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Apparently Ikabey is performing more less as expected so far, hopefully it means more titles coming over.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Filled it out.

For games from a studio they haven't licensed with before, I asked for NitroPlus.
For games from a studio they have licensed with before, I asked for more C's ware. (EVE Burst Error)

In the other comments/concerns I asked them to please keep trying with Steam releases even if not all of them get through.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, unlike Steins Gate, Chaos Child sure gets right to the meat of the action in the first minutes. Was not expecting that!

Had to get this dumb joke out of my system, sorry.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Games you want translated:
Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - Under the Innocent Sky.
Himawari no Chapel de Kimi to
Kagerou Touryuuki

I think I just wasted my votes.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I really dont get Valve.

How come "Wet Beach Pussies" is fine:

https://steamdb.info/app/1029990/subs/

but they are rejecting legit VNs?

I really hate them for this. Wish games journalists or even VN developers/localizers would press them for specifics and shit.

Nobody here on Era is equipped to answer these questions I fear. And nobody in games journalism will lift a finger. It feels like we will remain clueless on this stuff forever, and that every VN that does it make to the store will be a blessing or something. :(

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I went with Evolimit, Muramasa and, a naughty one, Sukebe Elf (warning: NSFW if you google)

yeah. Also wouldn't mind the 360 remake of Phantom of Inferno. (Which did get packported to PC, but I dunno about an official digital version)

recently they also backported to PC Kishin Houkou Demonbane, a shame we'll never get that update version probably.

Also MG has released the list of their ranking by sale on their blog posting a screenshot of the list below for people who are curious:

bSXg4VQ.png

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
MG licensing survey is up

I always put White Album 2 and Muramasa in those surveys.
Asked for PC ports of Ar Tonelico games as well. About as likely for MG to pick them up as the two titles above.
07th Expansion for current devs (RoseGunDays, Higanbana) and Key for new devs - would love for someone to bring their legacy titles over.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I always put White Album 2 and Muramasa in those surveys.
Asked for PC ports of Ar Tonelico games as well. About as likely for MG to pick them up as the two titles above.
07th Expansion for current devs (RoseGunDays, Higanbana) and Key for new devs - would love for someone to bring their legacy titles over.

Why not try contacting VisualArts then? IIRC they do licensing surveys and they've started self-publishing their stuff.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget Steam also have more than a few, NTR VNs, which of course involve prostitution, coercion, and rape.

Feb 12, 2019
I figured it was about that time of year when I played through a VN or two, ended up deciding on Higurashi When They Cry Hou. I went through the trouble of getting the mod that adds in all of the enhancements from the PS3 version (such as "voice acting") and that seems like it was the right decision. It does a great job of oscillating between trope-y anime hijinks and an effective sense of paranoia and dread.

I'm on the 5th arc, Meakashi, and it seems like this is when they start explaining what's actually happening. I figured it'd be mildly amusing for some of you if I posted my predictions for what happens in a 13+ year old VN, especially since it seems like chapters 7 and 8 aren't on Steam yet. Sure, I could probably watch the anime adaption, (I've heard it's alright) or just look up the plot, but what's the fun in that?
Honestly, after the 4th arc, I'm pretty sure it's going to be something fairly ridiculous, like a virus, or mind-control, or a genetic disorder. You don't continually tease the reader with supposedly impossible supernatural stuff unless you have an explanation for it, and there's no way the explanation for some of the insanity that happens in arcs 3 and 4 isn't going to be a slightly more sustainable version of "Nanomachines son" with its own accompanying grand conspiracy.

Definitely feel alright picking it over Chaos;Child, which seemed fine from the few hours I spent with it, but I found the protagonist's weirdo chuuni elitism mildly insufferable in a way that makes Okabe from the first half of Steins;Gate look positively normal by comparison. I'll probably end up getting back to it at some point, but I get the impression there's a reason why Steins;Gate is the breakout hit of the "Science Adventure" series and not any of its counterparts.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feel alright picking it over Chaos;Child, which seemed fine from the few hours I spent with it, but I found the protagonist's weirdo chuuni elitism mildly insufferable in a way that makes Okabe from the first half of Steins;Gate look positively normal by comparison. I'll probably end up getting back to it at some point, but I get the impression there's a reason why Steins;Gate is the breakout hit of the "Science Adventure" series and not any of its counterparts.

Chaos;Child gets better, a lot better. It's not 10/10 like Steins;Gate, but it's definitely 9+ material.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
For EU folks, 428: Shibuya Scramble is currently on sale on the PSN at €19.99/£15.99.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think I actually might like Chaos;Child more than Steins;Gate...? It's up there.

He's not really chuuni, is a thing. They went for that with Okabe, but this is more of a spin on the protagonist of Chaos;Head's anxiety and such. Which... I felt they really overdid there, but in comparison in C;C it is way more relatable and I felt like he grew a lot sooner rather than later.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
amazingly the Irotoridori no Sekai kickstarter made it
following along the last few minutes was pretty entertaining, especially after someone withdrew a sizeable pledge when they were nearing the total with about 15 minutes to go, yet it somehow rallied to reach the total with seconds to spare

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
following along the last few minutes was pretty entertaining, especially after someone withdrew a sizeable pledge when they were nearing the total with about 15 minutes to go, yet it somehow rallied to just reach the total with seconds to spare
Wow, yeah when I checked the other day I was sure it wouldn't make it. Awesome!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
following along the last few minutes was pretty entertaining, especially after someone withdrew a sizeable pledge when they were nearing the total with about 15 minutes to go, yet it somehow rallied to reach the total with seconds to spare

Wow that JUST made it... Looks like one of the stretch goals unlocked with the main goal. I wonder if the piano OST is separate to the OST they already have in the pledges. (Too bad about the other 2 games...)