• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
amazingly the Irotoridori no Sekai kickstarter made it
following along the last few minutes was pretty entertaining, especially after someone withdrew a sizeable pledge when they were nearing the total with about 15 minutes to go, yet it somehow rallied to reach the total with seconds to spare
I didnt contribute till the last 30 mins...

Glad sol press got the funds.

Apr 24, 2018
Hi all,

I'm just starting to watch the Steins; Gate 0 anime several years after watching the original Steins; Gate anime. I was thinking about re-watching the original anime as well, but I know that Steins; Gate Elite recently released.

I also know that some new animated scenes not in the anime were added. Are there enough new scenes to warrant possibly considering playing the game rather than re-watching the anime? As someone who hasn't played many VNs and doesn't replay games are there any chances I'd even be likely to experience the new content in a single playthrough?

I really like the anime, but I feel that the game probably wouldn't be a great investment for me given how much I like the anime and often time would likely just want a completely passive experience to experience the story rather than "playing" through the game.

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I'm just starting to watch the Steins; Gate 0 anime several years after watching the original Steins; Gate anime. I was thinking about re-watching the original anime as well, but I know that Steins; Gate Elite recently released.

I also know that some new animated scenes not in the anime were added. Are there enough new scenes to warrant possibly considering playing the game rather than re-watching the anime? As someone who hasn't played many VNs and doesn't replay games are there any chances I'd even be likely to experience the new content in a single playthrough?

I really like the anime, but I feel that the game probably wouldn't be a great investment for me given how much I like the anime and often time would likely just want a completely passive experience to experience the story rather than "playing" through the game.

I definitely recommend playing the game for re-experiencing the story (Elite or not), because it really dives into a lot of depth, many things just got skipped over in the anime due to time constraints. Not that the anime has too many plot holes, but the VN answers many more questions.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Hi all,

Elite doesn't require much input and if you set the game on auto it's basically an anime, I cannot comment content because I never watched the anime, but I can tell you the interaction bits have been reduced to the bone, (only replies to emails basically), so my suggestion would be to set the game on auto mode, get a walkthrough for the old game (I used this one https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765959850) as the choices are the same and use that for the email replies.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I have not watched the anime, so keep in mind that I can't speak to how much stuff was cut during the course of the story. But regarding the content that was definitely not included...

Well, will tag explanation for how you'd see this stuff so I can spoil a bit; if you've seen the anime, you're fine to click this.

You would definitely be able to see the vast majority of things not in the anime in one playthrough.

You know how there are various points in the story where Okabe sends D-mails to undo a change that they made back before shit hit the fan? In the game those tend to be a choice at the end of chapters, and if you choose not to end the mail, you immediately enter a what-if ending route focused on the relevant character because you stayed in that timeline. Once you're done that, you just reload at the choice and continue the story.

Thing is, those endings aren't super long and can be kinda hit or miss... they're good for spending more time with that character, but some are kinda edgy and some are overly fluffy. Not sure if that's worth it for you or not.

Additionally, the game's True Ending is decided by 6 (IIRC) points where you have to text the correct things back to Kurisu. If you get 0 of these (which is likely), you get the Mayuri ending at the end of the game. If you get at least 1 you get Kurisu's ending. If you get all 6 (there's one in the final chapter so that you can easily see both of these separately if you really want to), you proceed to the true ending. This means you'll only need to play it twice (and skipping through the majority of the second time) to see everything. But I assume the anime only showed the true ending, so you'll kinda have only missed Mayuri's ending - though it wouldn't be satisfying to end things there.

I heard Elite added more changes between the two playthroughs, but not in a way that matters for you - originally it only added scenes if you were headed for Kurisu's, and now it seems you just don't see some of the scenes that you normally would so they're exclusive to seeing Mayuri's. So the anime probably already covered both sets of scenes?

Apr 24, 2018
I definitely recommend playing the game for re-experiencing the story (Elite or not), because it really dives into a lot of depth, many things just got skipped over in the anime due to time constraints. Not that the anime has too many plot holes, but the VN answers many more questions.
Elite doesn't require much input and if you set the game on auto it's basically an anime, I cannot comment content because I never watched the anime, but I can tell you the interaction bits have been reduced to the bone, (only replies to emails basically), so my suggestion would be to set the game on auto mode, get a walkthrough for the old game (I used this one https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765959850) as the choices are the same and use that for the email replies.
I have not watched the anime, so keep in mind that I can't speak to how much stuff was cut during the course of the story. But regarding the content that was definitely not included...

Well, will tag explanation for how you'd see this stuff so I can spoil a bit; if you've seen the anime, you're fine to click this.

You would definitely be able to see the vast majority of things not in the anime in one playthrough.

You know how there are various points in the story where Okabe sends D-mails to undo a change that they made back before shit hit the fan? In the game those tend to be a choice at the end of chapters, and if you choose not to end the mail, you immediately enter a what-if ending route focused on the relevant character because you stayed in that timeline. Once you're done that, you just reload at the choice and continue the story.

Thing is, those endings aren't super long and can be kinda hit or miss... they're good for spending more time with that character, but some are kinda edgy and some are overly fluffy. Not sure if that's worth it for you or not.

Additionally, the game's True Ending is decided by 6 (IIRC) points where you have to text the correct things back to Kurisu. If you get 0 of these (which is likely), you get the Mayuri ending at the end of the game. If you get at least 1 you get Kurisu's ending. If you get all 6 (there's one in the final chapter so that you can easily see both of these separately if you really want to), you proceed to the true ending. This means you'll only need to play it twice (and skipping through the majority of the second time) to see everything. But I assume the anime only showed the true ending, so you'll kinda have only missed Mayuri's ending - though it wouldn't be satisfying to end things there.

I heard Elite added more changes between the two playthroughs, but not in a way that matters for you - originally it only added scenes if you were headed for Kurisu's, and now it seems you just don't see some of the scenes that you normally would so they're exclusive to seeing Mayuri's. So the anime probably already covered both sets of scenes?
Thanks to all three of you. I'll probably grab a copy of the game sometime later this year. Watching Steins' Gate 0 has really left me itching to re-experience the original (wanting to re-watch/replay anything is very rare for me). Knowing that playing the game on auto is similar to watching an anime is a huge + for me, at least as far as this game goes.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Death Mark and 428: Shibuya Scramble are both half off during this weekend's PSN (NA) flash sale.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How's the visual novel selection on the switch looking? Only decent one I know of is Steins gate (which I've played and finished) but I remember seeing several announced anything good out now?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What are the notable ones? I'm looking through their twitter and not seeing a lot.

Our World is Ended is one. Kotodama is also coming, but the jury is still out if it'll be good. Most games Spike Chunsoft are bringing to the West are getting late Switch ports in Japan, maybe we'll get those ones as well.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Arc Sys on the other hand... I wish they could see that... Not a fan of how they will be been releasing their stuff in NA :/

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Looks like "My girlfriend is a mermaid" just released on Switch today. Any impressions?

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Clannad coming to Switch on July 4th in Japan. Supports Japanese and English. First print run of physical version includes drama CD.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance this'll come to the west physically? Guessing no unless you import the Japanese copies...

As much as Clannad is popular, Prototype self-published the digital release in the West and there was no western PS4 print for Clannad last year. I'd import, that's what I did with the PS4 version and it came out pretty cheap in comparison to the digital release.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
As much as Clannad is popular, Prototype self-published the digital release in the West and there was no western PS4 print for Clannad last year. I'd import, that's what I did with the PS4 version and it came out pretty cheap in comparison to the digital release.

Thanks - figured as much :(. I've already gotten the PS4 copy digitally though, so may as well stick with that.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Well, my interest just flew out the fucking window. So I guess I don't have to worry about getting something that can't have impressions of the JP version.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
PhotonFlowers/Melodies update:

photonflowers* BETA is now available for backers!
We've added the codes in BackerKit so backers can redeem them anytime.

Here's a message from the translation team :)

Hey there, everyone! I'm pleased to say that Muv-Luv photonflowers* is finally ready for launch! Featuring a dozen unique stories from both sides of the Muv-Luv franchise, this is the first of two sidestory collections you guys helped make possible via the campaign's stretch goals. For several members of the localization team, these stories hold a very special place in our hearts, as they represent some of our first forays into the Muv-Luv community (for example, I started working on some of the Extra sidestories as hobby translations before the Kickstarter even began!). With plenty of new faces to meet, old friends to catch up with, and expanded lore to explore, I sincerely hope you'll find it was worth the wait.

But that's not all! In addition, I'm happy to announce that work on photonmelodies♮ is already well underway, as the team's been chipping away at it for several months now. (Those of you who've been waiting on Altered Fable, this is the one you'll want to keep an eye out for.)

This Kickstarter's been quite the journey, so thanks for sticking it out with us for the long haul. Rest assured, the finish line's just around the bend!

All the very best,

Evan Ward

Localization Director

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's interested, I'm selling my Photonflowes code for 20USD. Just send me a PM and we'll close the deal.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
For those who want to import Clannad physical version on Switch, page on Amazon JP is up.

You may need to wait a while to successfully preorder as Amazon JP locks item from overseas shipping for a short period of time after the page is up.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't ship to the US for some reason. May have to go with Nin Nin or Play Asia for it.
Just edited my post for extra info. Amazon JP wants to protect local customers so new items are locked from overseas shipping for a short period of time. You should be able to pre-order it after one or two weeks.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Mangagamer is having a white day sales for people who might be interested

also their survey closes tonight at midnight EDT in case someone still wants to fill it.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
My gaming time is rather limited lately due to real life matters. But like many videogame lovers, when I am not playing games, I think about them a lot. Therefore, I just decided my next three VNs to play after having more free time:
1. Hikari no Umi no Apeiria
2. Hikari no Umi no Apeiria ~Casablanca no Kishi~
3. Kotonoha Maichiru Natsu no Koe (I wrote about its demo months ago in this post)

All of them are written by Hanno Shuusei, whose stories has received lots of positive impressions from players. While I want to play Kotonoha the most, being their latest work, it has some minor references of Hikari, so I will tackle the latter before going to Kotonoha. Besides, I want to read something that is story heavy after going through a superficial spy story (ie. Riddle Joker) last month, so Hikari serves to be a great change of pace.
I've been working my way through Mamatoto.

It's fun, but getting all of the routes should take some time.
Interesting. Love SRPG and those old-school arts. It makes me tempted to dig out and finally play my copy of Daibanchou. Probably due to the influence of Sakura Wars, I love VNs with actual gameplay elements.