• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They gave Rance 9 a 10 so I would take their reviews with a hand full of salt...
Rance IX also got a 10? I know Rance X got a 10 from them. In Rance X's case, it's also the highest rated VN ever on erogamescape (basically Japan's VNDB) so maybe Japan just love Rance? I appreciate what the series has accomplished but it's not for me. Still, giving Rance high score doesn't discredit the site.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Rance IX also got a 10? I know Rance X got a 10 from them. In Rance X's case, it's also the highest rated VN ever on erogamescape (basically Japan's VNDB) so maybe Japan just love Rance? I appreciate what the series has accomplished but it's not for me. Still, giving Rance high score doesn't discredit the site.
Yeah my bad, meant 10.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
For a platform that barely had english visual novels, the Switch is getting a lot of physical releases during this first half of 2019:

Steins;Gate Elite (NA) February 19th
Our World is Ended (NA) May 9th
Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz (AS) May 23rd
World End Syndrome (EU) June 19th
Clannad (JP) July 4th

Other than Nightshade (JP), was there another english visual novel released for the Switch available as a physical title?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Vita will most likely be PSN. I doubt they were signeds on by Degica/Limited Run for physicals. Switch for sure though.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Interesting. Love SRPG and those old-school arts. It makes me tempted to dig out and finally play my copy of Daibanchou. Probably due to the influence of Sakura Wars, I love VNs with actual gameplay elements.

Yeah, I loved how Alicesoft plays around with it. Every game has different mechanics to learn too, so it's all pretty neat.
I stick with them and Eushully for that fix, although for traditional I am also partial to Navel because they started me off with Shuffle!.

As for Rance IX, yeah it was Rance X that got the 10(and deservedly so). Rance IX I'd argue is good, but it's not great.

My main issue is that the game spoils its own story segments because of the interface they use. You literally see an image of what's up next, whether or not it's a battle, and when you're going to get that ero scene. The menu looks pretty, but that hurts. I'm glad that it's the only time I've ever seen them do something like that.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I loved how Alicesoft plays around with it. Every game has different mechanics to learn too, so it's all pretty neat.
I stick with them and Eushully for that fix, although for traditional I am also partial to Navel because they started me off with Shuffle!.
For Eushully, I also got Soukoku no Arterial in my closet. When I was studying Japanese, I occasionally bought VNs from mandarake to motivate myself. Managed to pass N2 last December, I developed a sizable VN backlog in the span of three years lol. Hopefully I will be able to play them asap and catch up on some old classics.

Regarding Rance, I will probably start playing the series with Rance 01. I heard it is short but fun.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I don't think I've seen it posted already, but we have a release date for NA now, May 2nd, EU was june 14th

Regarding Rance, I will probably start playing the series with Rance 01. I heard it is short but fun.
I think I'll give the games a chance when MG is localizing most of the series so I can binge play in case I like them, Steiner seemed to be praising them a lot.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Rance 01 is probably for the best, especially as it's canon.

The original Rance 1 does have an english translation and is extremely short(maybe 30mins to 2 hours? memory and experience bias might be at play).

Rance 1 is an interesting diversion if you have the time. Being an 80s era adventure game, it's pretty cryptic, and the length/difficulty is only there because of those weird mindgames. If it's too much for you, just play it with a guide, and you'd be done quick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did pick up a ton of Alicesoft trading figures recently, but I don't see myself posting about them on Era due to lack of interest.

I will say though, that I picked up my first game of the year being "Gakuen King"(学園KING -日出彦 学校をつくる- ). I won't be playing it for some time though because apparently Mamatoto only allows you to do one girl's route per playthrough, and there's 9 girls. I'm going to have to beat the game at least 9 times.

(Gakuen King is freeware now, so I'll likely never open my copy)

FBg2CTF.jpg

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll give the games a chance when MG is localizing most of the series so I can binge play in case I like them, Steiner seemed to be praising them a lot.
Yeah, I imagine the gameplay is what driving Rance to become a long-running series in this genre. For better or worse, I will experience it before judging if it is good.
Rance 01 is probably for the best, especially as it's canon.

The original Rance 1 does have an english translation and is extremely short(maybe 30mins to 2 hours? memory and experience bias might be at play).

Rance 1 is an interesting diversion if you have the time. Being an 80s era adventure game, it's pretty cryptic, and the length/difficulty is only there because of those weird mindgames. If it's too much for you, just play it with a guide, and you'd be done quick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did pick up a ton of Alicesoft trading figures recently, but I don't see myself posting about them on Era due to lack of interest.

I will say though, that I picked up my first game of the year being "Gakuen King"(学園KING -日出彦 学校をつくる- ). I won't be playing it for some time though because apparently Mamatoto only allows you to do one girl's route per playthrough, and there's 9 girls. I'm going to have to beat the game at least 9 times.

(Gakuen King is freeware now, so I'll likely never open my copy)
Very interesting! Just checked Alicesoft site, so apparently they have allowed a bunch of old games, including the one you mentioned, for free download. I saw some Rance and some names that I recognize (eg. Toushin Toshi). Going to check how to run these games on PC.

Regarding posting on Era, yeah, I agree that sometimes we will never receive responses if we post something niche. I posted about Riddle Joker a few pages ago and there was no response. But I will say keep doing it. Sometimes people do notice and I certainly want to see a few Alicesoft figures. I can recognize some of the more popular characters of their titles even though I have never played those games (like your avatar, Masou Shizuka. She is very popular, as far as I know).

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah, I imagine the gameplay is what driving Rance to become a long-running series in this genre. For better or worse, I will experience it before judging if it is good.

Very interesting! Just checked Alicesoft site, so apparently they have allowed a bunch of old games, including the one you mentioned, for free download. I saw some Rance and some names that I recognize (eg. Toushin Toshi). Going to check how to run these games on PC.

Regarding posting on Era, yeah, I agree that sometimes we will never receive responses if we post something niche. I posted about Riddle Joker a few pages ago and there was no response. But I will say keep doing it. Sometimes people do notice and I certainly want to see a few Alicesoft figures. I can recognize some of the more popular characters of their titles even though I have never played those games (like your avatar, Masou Shizuka. She is very popular, as far as I know).

That's where you'll be surprised, all of the Rance games play differently(I guess 01-03 are more similar, but they are remakes that changed everything).

If you don't get into Rance, I'd at least highly recommend Toushin Toshi I&II from their freeware catalogue. They're more of a traditional RPG style, but the plot gets pretty interesting.

If you do get into Rance, I might suggest you hold off on Kichikuou Rance which is a spinoff. It appeared at a time where they thought they'd go under so it does spoil some stuff that they actually had time to flesh out and make their own games. Still one of the best games from the series though, it'll be brutal on your first go.

(Shizuka actually won the final poll for most popular in the series so they made a special set during comiket which heavily features her, a daki, and a figure which releases in September)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So I saw that the keys for Tokyo Chronos came in... A little confused since I requested 1 of each key (because I dunno why). PSVR is obvious, but what is the difference between a "Steam" and "Oculus" key? Steam supports Oculus and Vive, so is the Steam key for either-or, or just Vive? Does Oculus have a storefront or something?

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So I saw that the keys for Tokyo Chronos came in... A little confused since I requested 1 of each key (because I dunno why). PSVR is obvious, but what is the difference between a "Steam" and "Oculus" key? Steam supports Oculus and Vive, so is the Steam key for either-or, or just Vive? Does Oculus have a storefront or something?
Oculus Rift has its own storefront and keys.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
That's where you'll be surprised, all of the Rance games play differently(I guess 01-03 are more similar, but they are remakes that changed everything).

If you don't get into Rance, I'd at least highly recommend Toushin Toshi I&II from their freeware catalogue. They're more of a traditional RPG style, but the plot gets pretty interesting.

If you do get into Rance, I might suggest you hold off on Kichikuou Rance which is a spinoff. It appeared at a time where they thought they'd go under so it does spoil some stuff that they actually had time to flesh out and make their own games. Still one of the best games from the series though, it'll be brutal on your first go.

(Shizuka actually won the final poll for most popular in the series so they made a special set during comiket which heavily features her, a daki, and a figure which releases in September)
Thanks for all the info. I will probably try Toushin Toshi first before getting to Rance 01 (need to find a copy first).

Btw, pretty surprised that Shizuka is actually the most popular character. I thought they would be Uesugi Kenshin. Personally I like Kentou Kanami the most (just by appearance). :)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What are your thoughts with the new premium pricing of visual novels on consoles? While the Vita was alive, games were 40USD for the Vita and 50USD at most for the PS4 as far as visual novels go, but since Steins;Gate Elite and every future game with a retail release, I feel like they're all 60USD.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
What are your thoughts with the new premium pricing of visual novels on consoles? While the Vita was alive, games were 40USD for the Vita and 50USD at most for the PS4 as far as visual novels go, but since Steins;Gate Elite and every future game with a retail release, I feel like they're all 60USD.

Quite a lot of them are still $40. Daedalus, World End Syndrome, the new PQube game...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I have no issues with it. As long as they keep coming and are quality (and have the option of physicals...) I'm on board. I don't diminish the value since it's just text-based or anything.

Edit: If it's digital-only, then it's a different story tho...

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Thanks for all the info. I will probably try Toushin Toshi first before getting to Rance 01 (need to find a copy first).

Btw, pretty surprised that Shizuka is actually the most popular character. I thought they would be Uesugi Kenshin. Personally I like Kentou Kanami the most (just by appearance). :)
I'm not going to lie, people are fickle. the chars in the top 10 tend to be stagnant, but swap out the top spots depending on who had more screentime in said game. Shizuka benefits from this because of her role in 2/02, 3/03, VI, IX, and X. She's also in IV, she's everywhere so it helps.

Kenshin is super popular, afterall she has to be when she has a dozen figures when most have none.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Spike Chunsoft is releasing Yu-No anytime soon. AI: The Somnium Files is out in a few months, there are plenty of visual novels coming out until then and we have no release date for Yu-No other than 2019.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Kaitsu (MG employee) is doing a giveaway for a Trinoline copy , posting it here for people who are interested

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Is Sachiko best played before or after playing Blood Drive? I still have yet to get around to playing it, so might do this one first. I assume, going chronologically with the release order, that it would make sense to play Sachiko first? Or does it even matter?

If you can, play Sachiko's Birthday party before Blood Drive.

Mar 19, 2019
We should definitely give SHINRAI ~ Broken Beyond Despair some exposure. It's a small indie VN created by Gosatsu, a German developer of mystery VN's consisting of literally just two people (Gospel and Natsu). It's a Golden Age-styled whodunit with a lot of inspiration from Danganronpa, but with a more traditional setting (secluded, abandoned manor). The introduction and art-style don't really do the central mystery and story justice, which are wonderful. Definitely give it a look.

captura-de-pantalla-2016-09-05-a-las-19-35-56.png

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Wagamama High Spec is on sale and I'm kinda eyeing it while playing the Ditzy Demons are in Love with me; I'm in a moege mood atm.

edit: also probably getting that mermaid game on switch soon.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Read a few impressions and saw some screenshots of Missing-X-Link ~Ten no Yurikago, Togi no Hana~'s demo on Twitter. I don't know the context of some dialogues posted, but they are nicely written and pretty reflective of the characters. The demo is 5-hour long so not sure will I play it, but very excited to read final impressions of the game when it launches late April.
As I said I haven't played Rance yet, but by design alone I like Miracle Tou the most.
Nice. I like her design as well.
I'm not going to lie, people are fickle. the chars in the top 10 tend to be stagnant, but swap out the top spots depending on who had more screentime in said game. Shizuka benefits from this because of her role in 2/02, 3/03, VI, IX, and X. She's also in IV, she's everywhere so it helps.

Kenshin is super popular, afterall she has to be when she has a dozen figures when most have none.
Actually I own one Kenshin figure, which is a bootleg garage kit I got 6 years ago. Now I don't support these piracy products but it is still in my closet.
We should definitely give SHINRAI ~ Broken Beyond Despair some exposure. It's a small indie VN created by Gosatsu, a German developer of mystery VN's consisting of literally just two people (Gospel and Natsu). It's a Golden Age-styled whodunit with a lot of inspiration from Danganronpa, but with a more traditional setting (secluded, abandoned manor). The introduction and art-style don't really do the central mystery and story justice, which are wonderful. Definitely give it a look.

captura-de-pantalla-2016-09-05-a-las-19-35-56.png
Thanks for the impression. I just put the game into wishlist. Always support mystery VN.
Wagamama High Spec is on sale and I'm kinda eyeing it while playing the Ditzy Demons are in Love with me; I'm in a moege mood atm.

edit: also probably getting that mermaid game on switch soon.
Yay, moege are great.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Our World Has Ended looks kind of interesting to me. Might give that one a shot when it comes out.

Last VN I played was the first Dangan Ronpa, like, forever ago.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still trying to decide if I want the Switch or PS4 version for Our World is Ended. I'm more inclined to play it on Swith, but I also prefer the touched up graphics on PS4 for stuff (especially for acton JRPGs), since Switch can still be a downgrade in that regard. Being a VN though, it's still hard to decide on... So still trying to decide (halp!)