• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Limited Run Games money should keep them safe for awhile, but their next game is being handled by Sekai Project of all companies...
y2wcXNJ.jpg

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So, who will fall next? Alicesoft? Nitro+? Frontwing? Key?
No way Nitro+ is going anywhere. They're one of the few companies that were able to expand out of eroge (and VNs in general) successfully. As to whether they continue releasing those sorts of games into the future though, that's something else entirely.
oh god novectacle please be safe
Novectacle is a doujin group still, so I don't think the same concerns apply.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
light's problem is their mobile game. The first dev they collaborated with withdrew, the second one bankrupted, they were working with the third one. I heard they have enough material to release a full size VN, but instead they were holding off for the mobile game that would never come out.

minori is not a financial problem at all. Their financial standing was good, however the boss felt like they no longer make games that they want to, so he just called it quit. When you look at their output, the writing quality gets steadily lower, the breast size gets steadily bigger, the eroge scene gets steadily more frequent. That's what the market demands, and minori finally said no to it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I agree with Aters. They go bankrupt because of mismanagement in mobile, not because of "VN industry is going to fall" as claimed by many on Internet.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
There's an article on twinfinite about Greenwood and light

https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/dies-irae-parent-disbanded/

Members of the development team of Dies Irae Panthom are aiming to complete the game no matter what, and are asking other companies interested in the project to reach out to [email protected].

Writer Masashi Takada mentioned on Twitter that the team is going to struggle as much as they can to make the game happen, even if he could not promise that they will be successful.

The announcement continues explaining the development teams belonging to both Light and Campus are very talented, they will continue their work independently while holding onto their brands.

Campus' sales are going to be handled by AKABEiSOFT2, and Koi-on se Piāche will be released regularly on April 26. Speaking of Light, the team behind the Silverio series (the main titles of which are Silverio Vendetta and Silverio Trinity) is currently preparing to work under another company to release the last game of the series next year.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Our World is Ended's localization is pretty bad... Not to mention the occasional homophobic remarks. I want to like this game, but it's hard.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. That's going to be a hard pass then.

That is a whole other beast that I feel like I need to bring to light in its own space, so when I finish the game and feel like I've seen it all, I'll create a thread to discuss it.

But so far, yeah. It has some pretty homophobic remarks that some people will defend as "Japan being Japan" while forgetting that, not only is that that argument is pretty hollow, this game was localized for the western audience.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I know Zanki Zero had a lot of controversies lately but I tried the demo and was pleasantly surprised by it. The story got me hooked and wanting for more.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Our World is Ended's localization is pretty bad... Not to mention the occasional homophobic remarks. I want to like this game, but it's hard.
Eww.

Either way is bad, but just out of curiosity, what's the context? Is it like someone who is supposed to be a dick, or is the implication that the audience should be on board with it?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Eww.

Either way is bad, but just out of curiosity, what's the context? Is it like someone who is supposed to be a dick, or is the implication that the audience should be on board with it?

More like the latter, if you ask me. I've taken screenshots of everything that I'll share and leave it up to interpretation once I finish the game.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
More like the latter, if you ask me. I've taken screenshots of everything that I'll share and leave it up to interpretation once I finish the game.
That doesn't sound good. Probably a pass then, but please share when you're ready anyway. I didn't have particularly high hopes for this one, but I was hoping at least for a passable S;G clone. If the homophobic stuff is as bad as it sounds, you've saved me some moolah.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's not entirely true, they did release a lot of titles already - nearing 100 games on Steam. Is that not 'a lot' for you?

Some of their digital stuff has been on hiatus for years (like the 2 monster otome games), but physically has been a huge disappointment... Only a small percent of their Kickstarters have been completed.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is really Sekai's stuff with LRG that's been a problem. I mean no one is really talking about their success with Clannad or Nekopara

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It is really Sekai's stuff with LRG that's been a problem. I mean no one is really talking about their success with Clannad or Nekopara

The problem is how long it's been porting them to Unity. All 3 of their originally announced LRG console games, have suffered from it. WEE had a graphic update and then changing to Unity, Fault I think was switching too, and Narcissu had a poll if people wanted the game now as-is, but over 70% decided to wait it out for the finalized, ported version.

I guess going from PC to console is much harder than the other way around, which is why they've been changing all this stuff around?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the upcoming release schedule and... wow, July 26th is packed. There are four titles that I want to get my hands on:

- Ryuusei World Actor: Talked about it on last page. Day 1.
- Nukige Mitai na Shima ni Sunderu Watashi wa Dou Surya Ii Desu ka? 2: Don't be fooled by the stupid name and art, many people consider the original to be GOTY (story-wise) in 2018. Still haven't played it. There is a 1+2 Pack releasing on the same day so I will probably pick up that version. Might buy day 1.
- Ren'ai, Karichaimashita: Asa Project is known to release hilarious love comedy, and I love one of its earlier titles, Ren'ai 0 Kilometer. Not getting this on Day 1 but definitely picking it up in near future.
- Study § Steady: Great art so looks like a promising moege. Might pick up on day 1 for the pre-order goods.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I was looking at the upcoming release schedule and... wow, July 26th is packed. There are four titles that I want to get my hands on:

- Ryuusei World Actor: Talked about it on last page. Day 1.
- Nukige Mitai na Shima ni Sunderu Watashi wa Dou Surya Ii Desu ka? 2: Don't be fooled by the stupid name and art, many people consider the original to be GOTY (story-wise) in 2018. Still haven't played it. There is a 1+2 Pack releasing on the same day so I will probably pick up that version. Might buy day 1.
- Ren'ai, Karichaimashita: Asa Project is known to release hilarious love comedy, and I love one of its earlier titles, Ren'ai 0 Kilometer. Not getting this on Day 1 but definitely picking it up in near future.
- Study § Steady: Great art so looks like a promising moege. Might pick up on day 1 for the pre-order goods.

Even if it was just "a nukige", I'd probably still play it since I like most genres.

Ryuusei World Actor which you recommended definitely feels like the highlight of the month to me outside of Alicesoft bias(yeah, it's a budget title), so I'll be mainly looking forwards to that.

I've been out of eroge news for a long time because I've been focusing on older works from the 80s-00s recently. Hearing voice-acting in an eroge again is going to be a trip. It's been awhile for me personally.

------------------------

Edit: So I was just alerted about this. In case you guys didn't know about it either:

https://jastusa.com/classic-game-archive/

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was just "a nukige", I'd probably still play it since I like most genres.

Ryuusei World Actor which you recommended definitely feels like the highlight of the month to me outside of Alicesoft bias(yeah, it's a budget title), so I'll be mainly looking forwards to that.

I've been out of eroge news for a long time because I've been focusing on older works from the 80s-00s recently. Hearing voice-acting in an eroge again is going to be a trip. It's been awhile for me personally.
I like playing nukige too, but people here probably have no interest in them lol. I know many people from other places are looking forward to playing Haha Ranman (hey it's made by Alicesoft) which is going to release on Apr 26th, and the premise and gameplay sound really interesting. Excited to read some impressions on the final product soon.

And now I know who to ask for recommendations of old titles :D. As mentioned before, works from Hanno Shuusei are my priority now. Probably going to check back some older stuff like Rance afterwards.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I finished the first chapter of Danganronpa V3. What a twist, that was really unexpected. I'm glad I wasn't spoiled until now.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I finished the first chapter of Danganronpa V3. What a twist, that was really unexpected. I'm glad I wasn't spoiled until now.
Hmm... I never got around to picking up v3, but now you have me interested. I guess it's never going on sale on Vita again, though. Do they still do sales on Vita? I don't even remember seeing one for ages.

Also, do you need to play Ultra Despair Girls first?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm... I never got around to picking up v3, but now you have me interested. I guess it's never going on sale on Vita again, though. Do they still do sales on Vita? I don't even remember seeing one for ages.

Also, do you need to play Ultra Despair Girls first?
If you enjoyed the first 2 games, I wouldn't hesitate buying V3. You don't need to play Ultra Despair. I heard it's pretty mediocre.
And you're only at the beginning, trust me. There will be even bigger twists.
Oh boy, can't wait. I like it that videogames can still surprise me.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
If you enjoyed the first 2 games, I wouldn't hesitate buying V3. You don't need to play Ultra Despair. I heard it's pretty mediocre.

Oh boy, can't wait. I like it that videogames can still surprise me.
V3 is really a surprising game - even though, I must admit, I didn't like the first twist so much. That day I quit playing the game because of a bit of disappointment, then the following day of course I continued and it was absolutely worth it.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
DRV3 is twist galore, I remember when the game was released and part of the fandom was up in arms about that final twist. One of the most polarizing things I've seen in VNs, but in a good way imho.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I know Zanki Zero is really controversial and it's not the same team but after playing the demo, the story seems to be as twisted as in Danganronpa.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should play V3, too. Heard it is very controversial so still have not played it. I like some cases in both 1 and 2 but the central plot is not elaborated too well. I am not fond of ideas like "despair" or "hope" being thrown around with no actual substances.

Surprised that so many people in the west want more A Kiss for the Petals. As far as I know, yuri are not popular in erogame market in Japan.

Not surprised by Evenicle 2 though. I still need to play 1. Seems like a very solid RPG.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm convinced. I'll do DR3 either the next time it goes on sale or I can spare €39.99.

Does anyone know of a good recap of 1&2? It's been a while and I remember very little.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
DRV3 is twist galore, I remember when the game was released and part of the fandom was up in arms about that final twist. One of the most polarizing thing I've seen in VNs, but in a good way imho.
I recently finished V3 and enjoyed the final twist. Some folks misread it as more mean-spirited than it actually was, IMO.

That said, I think I the first act twist would have been even better and more surprising if it was done the other way around.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Zanki Zero... just read a random review of it and am now worried about it.

Ironically, it was positive, but said that it definitely covers a lot of serious topics... which, if it's anything like UDG, is going to be a mess of biting off way more than they can chew, and thinking they're geniuses for doing it. And hearing that some of the stuff they thankfully removed for the English release was in the game to begin with sure doesn't help me think they'll handle it well.

I guess I'm too curious to see where the game goes to cancel my preorder, but I feel like it's just going to be another UDG where I just get wildly frustrated by their inability to treat certain topics seriously, especially in relation to each other. Even if this time it's really on me for trusting them to be entertaining again after V3...

Like, I can't help but feel...
it's going to have another thing like UDG pulled, where they handle a topic like sexual abuse of a child horribly with some gross jokey minigame shit, only to launch right into treating "MY PARENTS MADE ME STUDY SO HARD I HAD AN IV SO I COULD KEEP STUDYING" very seriously in the next chapter.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Zanki Zero... just read a random review of it and am now worried about it.

Ironically, it was positive, but said that it definitely covers a lot of serious topics... which, if it's anything like UDG, is going to be a mess of biting off way more than they can chew, and thinking they're geniuses for doing it. And hearing that some of the stuff they thankfully removed for the English release was in the game to begin with sure doesn't help me think they'll handle it well.

I guess I'm too curious to see where the game goes to cancel my preorder, but I feel like it's just going to be another UDG where I just get wildly frustrated by their inability to treat certain topics seriously, especially in relation to each other. Even if this time it's really on me for trusting them to be entertaining again after V3...

Like, I can't help but feel...
it's going to have another thing like UDG pulled, where they handle a topic like sexual abuse of a child horribly with some gross jokey minigame shit, only to launch right into treating "MY PARENTS MADE ME STUDY SO HARD I HAD AN IV SO I COULD KEEP STUDYING" very seriously in the next chapter.
Can you link the review please?
I found this one.
https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/zanki-zero-last-beginning-ps4-review/

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't a formal review, just someone's impressions alongside other VNs. It was vaguely spoilery and it came from Gematsu comments, so like... I have 0 idea what the reviewer is like as a person, so I think I'd rather not link it. The review you linked mentions the same things anyway.

On that note- will say, skimming the review you linked, it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either. It mentions the same things as I said, and just seems to gloss over them to joke about fanservice and such... so not necessarily someone I'd trust, with no prior context, to discuss them well either.

we'll see, I guess; worst case I'm paying them money to be annoyed by bad writing again, now with RPG bosses to be annoyed at too...

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a formal review, just someone's impressions alongside other VNs. It was vaguely spoilery and it came from Gematsu comments, so like... I have 0 idea what the reviewer is like as a person, so I think I'd rather not link it. The review you linked mentions the same things anyway.

On that note- will say, skimming the review you linked, it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either. It mentions the same things as I said, and just seems to gloss over them to joke about fanservice and such... so not necessarily someone I'd trust, with no prior context, to discuss them well either.

we'll see, I guess; worst case I'm paying them money to be annoyed by bad writing again, now with RPG bosses to be annoyed at too...

I'm on the fence about buying the game too for exactly the same reason. The gravitas needed to deal with certain themes is something the DR series severely lacks. Shock value for the sake of shock value is terrible writing.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I have been sitting on this game for years now, I suppose I'm starting it today:

L5mkM1L.jpg

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Steam has gone back on its previous decision to ban Hello Goodbye apparently, guess I have found my next moege