• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 22, 2019
Played Cartagra recently and enjoyed it, probably one or two too many "twists" in the true route but overall a good experience.
Guess I should play Kara No Shojo next huh.

I played Kara no Shojo recently and it's fantastic. The story, atmosphere, writing and English translation, and art are superb. Music and voice acting as well.

The gameplay is terrible though. You will want a guide, at least after you get your first ending. The majority of choices you make in the game are blind, and there are missable items, so unless you like saving/loading every couple minutes, get a guide to find the endings.

Parts of KnS still stick in my mind days later. I've become an Innocent Grey fan and will pick up Cartagra next, and then KnS2 afterward.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow.

Exogenesis~Perils of Rebirth~ backer keys are finally sent out.
...about 4 years late.
...for Early Access.

But they're out.

(This is an OELVN that got funded waaaay back in 2014 or so.)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Having mixed feelings about Chaos Child so far. It started off interesting enough, but the main character (and his voice acting) is insufferable most of the time. As the plot starts revealing more about what's actually going on, I'm also finding myself less interested. Guess I was expecting something a little more grounded? Gonna push on considering I'm at ch. 8 anyway but it's definitely not grabbing me the way S;G did. One technical thing that's bothering me is how messed up the touch controls on Vita are. Almost unusable if you just want to advance the script (it enables auto-mode 60% of the time). And "use speaker" on/off in the settings turns off touch controls for some reason? Wack. :')

But I like how polished its presentation is, generally speaking. Solid soundtrack and the way the character art blends with the background is a really great touch.

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I guess that since JAST is not-so-subtly teasing it Majikoi will be announced at AX AB/Sakuracon, I usually don't buy physical releases, but I think this might be one of the rare cases where I will (assuming they do a physical release like they usually do), been wanting an official release for ages.

edit: i'm dumb I meant AB/Sakuracon not AX

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Having mixed feelings about Chaos Child so far. It started off interesting enough, but the main character (and his voice acting) is insufferable most of the time. As the plot starts revealing more about what's actually going on, I'm also finding myself less interested. Guess I was expecting something a little more grounded? Gonna push on considering I'm at ch. 8 anyway but it's definitely not grabbing me the way S;G did. One technical thing that's bothering me is how messed up the touch controls on Vita are. Almost unusable if you just want to advance the script (it enables auto-mode 60% of the time). And "use speaker" on/off in the settings turns off touch controls for some reason? Wack. :')

But I like how polished its presentation is, generally speaking. Solid soundtrack and the way the character art blends with the background is a really great touch.

The main characert is not at all the best thing of Chaos;Child, the same as for Chaos;Head. Anyway, from Chapter 8 things start to become quite interesting, I suggest you to complete at least the Normal Ending. What really astounded me, however, was the True Ending - which you can get after completing all the other routes. I was already liking CC before finishing it and at the end it has been my second favourite Science;Adventure visual novel, after Steins;Gate of course - so maybe the fact I liked the true ending won't apply to you, if you are not interested by the plot until now. But, as I said, I suggest you to complete at least the normal route, there will be still several twists there.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by this game at all, tbh.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The main characert is not at all the best thing of Chaos;Child, the same as for Chaos;Head. Anyway, from Chapter 8 things start to become quite interesting, I suggest you to complete at least the Normal Ending. What really astounded me, however, was the True Ending - which you can get after completing all the other routes. I was already liking CC before finishing it and at the end it has been my second favourite Science;Adventure visual novel, after Steins;Gate of course - so maybe the fact I liked the true ending won't apply to you, if you are not interested by the plot until now. But, as I said, I suggest you to complete at least the normal route, there will be still several twists there.

Ah thanks. I was planning on seeing it through all the way anyway, so hopefully it'll grab me more once I get to the basic ending at least. Also good to know I'm not alone in disliking Taku :b

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the common route section and entered Chapter 4 (Angel Route) of Soukoku no Arterial. Just managed to beat my first Danger Species (ie. elite monster) after multiple tries. It is exhilarating. The gameplay is so damn good.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate Taku (Chaos;Child), personally? He definitely had issues, and they could frustrate me, but he felt kinda realistic. He always clearly appreciated his friends, and he was very much able to overcome some of his issues when he pushed himself even relatively early on.

But I also had experienced Chaos;Head and could compare, and woooof if you wanna talk about annoying protagonists...

(I should also say: for my first playthrough, I never did any of the "good" delusions beyond once early on. That could affect your perception of him one way or the other, I guess.)

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Finished the common route section and entered Chapter 4 (Angel Route) of Soukoku no Arterial. Just managed to beat my first Danger Species (ie. elite monster) after multiple tries. It is exhilarating. The gameplay is so damn good.
Oh nice, so you've started Eushully.

I've only played Kamidori when that first released, but they really go in-depth with the game mechanics based off of that. It's probably one of my favorite eroge I've had the pleasure of playing.

I'd say even more than Alicesoft as they just have simple mechanics whilst expecting you to utilize every part of it.

Should be good, I really want to go through their games, but beating Mamatoto 8 times(found out a way to bring it down from 9), is taking a load on me. That game's mechanics are so fun, but 100%'ing it just takes so much out of you. I almost recommend picking your favorite girl and only doing that route.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, so you've started Eushully.

I've only played Kamidori when that first released, but they really go in-depth with the game mechanics based off of that. It's probably one of my favorite eroge I've had the pleasure of playing.

I'd say even more than Alicesoft as they just have simple mechanics whilst expecting you to utilize every part of it.

Should be good, I really want to go through their games, but beating Mamatoto 8 times(found out a way to bring it down from 9), is taking a load on me. That game's mechanics are so fun, but 100%'ing it just takes so much out of you. I almost recommend picking your favorite girl and only doing that route.
I have tried playing the demo of Kamidori when it just released in Japan. Don't remember anything other than it being a dungeon crawler haha. Glad to hear that you love it.

Soukoku is really good, too. As you have said, the card battle mechanics are simple to follow but go way deeper than I originally expected. It is also a very meaty game and I have full intention to go for 100% completion. The game has three routes (Angel, Demon and Human) and I am going to finish the game thrice in that order. Then, I will go after the ex-scenario (seems to be about the true heroine) and ex-Danger Species afterwards. There are also multiple appends so they take time, too. Just a rough estimate, I will probably end up putting 150-250 hours on it. This is my first experience with their games and it is a great first impression. So I am definitely tempted to play more of them (including Kamidori) in the future.

Beating a game for 8 times is not easy to do. Maybe you can play a relatively traditional VN next to balance out? I am actually pretty excited towards some upcoming releases on 26th like Haha Ranman from Alicesoft and Waka-sama no Zasuru Sekai written by Romero Tanaka (although I have never played his works).

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that the first Fumiaki Maruto game that got translated to English? Not his best work, but normal working guy protagonist is quite rare.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
They also have an "original mode" with traditional VN style.

edit: i'm talking about Root letter

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Our world is ended just popped up in the Switch eShop. I know nothing about it anyone have any impressions? I really like the art style in the screens it reminds me of Steins Gate

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Our world is ended just popped up in the Switch eShop. I know nothing about it anyone have any impressions? I really like the art style in the screens it reminds me of Steins Gate
If you like horny games with casual homophobia it just might be for you!

many people here got turned off it really quickly.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I posted it in the past pages but that game isn't the improved version, they localized and ported the vita version with roughly 30% less content, no additional characters and lacking some other stuff

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017

Early demo of Ryuusei World Actor is out! I will play it tonight and post impressions after finishing it.

Edit: I am tired and the demo is longer than I expected, with quite a considerable amount of info dump. Need to spend more time to finish and write up my impressions and predictions on story development. Just want to rant a bit for now: Why there are no Ryouko and Tamako route? Why?! With their personality, both of them can be main girls in other games.

One more thing. The male protagonist Ruka is a big liar (hence, actor?) and I want to know how OP he truly is. He reminds of Kaito from Akatsuki no Goei a lot. Such an interesting asshole.

Last edited:

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Messed around with the smash stage creator, it's too basic for fine details, but you can manage basic drawings. It's sometimes hard to tell what ledges can be grabbed and what can't until you test it out.

In any case, this was something I came up with during testing. It's Alice's pet crow Yukichi, a Hanny, a cow(yes that's Alicesoft's version of cows), and Shizuka's hat.

The hat's kinda random, I tried drawing her beforehands, and it's something that's a holdover from that attempt.

D4g2MnVUYAIF-RH.jpg:small

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit.

I really hope it's not next week; it's like the only Friday I won't be home ready with multiple devices to make sure I get it, lol. I'll probably have to attempt with only my phone if it's then, ugh.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Syougo Kinugasa just turned his light novel into a script.
The protagonist is pretty in line with those protagonists in his past works. Having strong physical and mental abilities yet trying to hide his true power from others, and also with a twisted sense of humor. This time the guy also acts like a playboy and likes flirting with women. I remember reading on 5ch that in an interview he said Ryuusei project was actually started even before Classroom of Elite. He also confirmed that the game is going to be longer than 10 volumes of light novels so we are looking at a long game here.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I guess I didn't mention this earlier, but Alicesoft is going all in on a DMM release in 2020.

Last time they tried using the Toushin Toshi, it burned them badly, but Evenicle+Rance was there to help them out. This time they're utilizing the Beat series being "Beat Angel Escalayer", "Beat Blades Haruka", and "Beat Valkyrie Ixseal".

I hope this goes over well, but we'll just have to see. If it bombs then it might be it for them unless they bring out an Evenicle 3+a new IP is successful. They still have a big draw that they're not using in a Toushin Toshi 4, but they botched that DMM release in addition to the last actual 3rd entry.

----------------------------------------------------

It's still a far ways off, and they've announced+released at least 3 games since they first announced doHna:doHna. It looked pretty different from everything we've ever seen them do, but we know it hasn't been cancelled so that's good. Not sure what to make of it, but this is such an early build that anything/everything could've changed.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
There is one more ryukishi07 game launching in 2019, titled Sangeki Sandbox. Art by Hinoue Itaru. It is published by Entergram so maybe console release on day 1.

I guess I didn't mention this earlier, but Alicesoft is going all in on a DMM release in 2020.

Last time they tried using the Toushin Toshi, it burned them badly, but Evenicle+Rance was there to help them out. This time they're utilizing the Beat series being "Beat Angel Escalayer", "Beat Blades Haruka", and "Beat Valkyrie Ixseal".

I hope this goes over well, but we'll just have to see. If it bombs then it might be it for them unless they bring out an Evenicle 3+a new IP is successful. They still have a big draw that they're not using in a Toushin Toshi 4, but they botched that DMM release in addition to the last actual 3rd entry.

----------------------------------------------------

It's still a far ways off, and they've announced+released at least 3 games since they first announced doHna:doHna. It looked pretty different from everything we've ever seen them do, but we know it hasn't been cancelled so that's good. Not sure what to make of it, but this is such an early build that anything/everything could've changed.

I wish them going well now that Rance is ended. I guess they can still make remakes of 04 onwards as well as continuing other series. doHna:doHna looks very interesting, too.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There is one more ryukishi07 game launching in 2019, titled Sangeki Sandbox. Art by Hinoue Itaru. It is published by Entergram so maybe console release on day 1.

I wish them going well now that Rance is ended. I guess they can still make remakes of 04 onwards as well as continuing other series. doHna:doHna looks very interesting, too.

TADA said a while ago that the last one he's thinking of remaking is 4 so that's what many fans are hoping for. 5D is...5D, and he believes 6+ is modern enough. I'm guessing he wants to leave Kichikuou as is.

He even teased about it in a tweet a few weeks back, before clarifying. People have been inundating him with requests for remakes of the classics as well, but I don't see it happening? Toushin Toshi and Toushin Toshi 2 seem like such obvious choices.