• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Steam Link app is out on iOS! Excited to finally make my way through Steins;Gate, House in Fata Morgana, Danganronpa, 428, and all the other VNs I've accumulated over the years...
This will help me finish Umineko in record time, let alone the other VNs I have on Steam. Before that, I still have to complete Tsukihime, which I keep falling off for whatever reason.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Not according to their storepage:
IxbiX45.png

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Interestingly, Maitetsu is super popular in China when it did a kickstarter for localization here. There is also Chinese working in Lose so probably they are more inclined to enter this market. The writer even come to China for research and has been working on a fan disk with a Chinese train (ie. character) inclusion.

Interested to know what did you get. Is it from Alicesoft?
It is! It's "Prostudent G" which by the way is also freeware which is why I was able to get it for close to nothing.

Their older games don't really hold value(and it's not like tons of people collect eroge), and it being freeware as well helped.

It's supposed to be mainly comedic, so we'll see how that goes. All I know about it is that it's old-school adventure and doesn't seem to be an RPG which is rare for the company.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It is! It's "Prostudent G" which by the way is also freeware which is why I was able to get it for close to nothing.

Their older games don't really hold value(and it's not like tons of people collect eroge), and it being freeware as well helped.

It's supposed to be mainly comedic, so we'll see how that goes. All I know about it is that it's old-school adventure and doesn't seem to be an RPG which is rare for the company.
Just checked its page on VNDB... The arts / sprites look gorgeous! And it is a few months older than me lol. Look forward to reading your impressions on it.

BTW, I just moved to Tokyo recently and am going to stay here for a year. The eroge floors on Sofmap and other places are as overwhelming as I remember. There are so much stuff I am eyeing now it is not even funny. For example, Ryuusei World Actor makes me itch to play some detective / mystery games like Mystereet, EVE and Ouka Sabaki. Meanwhile I also want to stay focus on Soukoku no Arterial as there are still so much left in that game. I really feel like this is becoming a first world problem haha.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Just checked its page on VNDB... The arts / sprites look gorgeous! And it is a few months older than me lol. Look forward to reading your impressions on it.

BTW, I just moved to Tokyo recently and am going to stay here for a year. The eroge floors on Sofmap and other places are as overwhelming as I remember. There are so much stuff I am eyeing now it is not even funny. For example, Ryuusei World Actor makes me itch to play some detective / mystery games like Mystereet, EVE and Ouka Sabaki. Meanwhile I also want to stay focus on Soukoku no Arterial as there are still so much left in that game. I really feel like this is becoming a first world problem haha.
Oh you just moved to Japan? Congrats, pretty jealous I have to admit.

I went and stayed there during a vacation period for 2 months in the past. Would definitely like to go again. The last time I went was before I was even into anime, eroge, "otaku" stuff if you will so that was just historical sites. It's weird that I collect so much, and I still don't know what the inside of a sofmap or traders is like.

On a side note, I heard that Ryuusei World Actor has(had?) a crossover with Koihime Musou which was surprising.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you just moved to Japan? Congrats, pretty jealous I have to admit.

I went and stayed there during a vacation period for 2 months in the past. Would definitely like to go again. The last time I went was before I was even into anime, eroge, "otaku" stuff if you will so that was just historical sites. It's weird that I collect so much, and I still don't know what the inside of a sofmap or traders is like.

On a side note, I heard that Ryuusei World Actor has(had?) a crossover with Koihime Musou which was surprising.
I have just arrived here a week ago, and things are actually pretty rough lol. Many bureaucratic stuff are not foreigner-friendly, my oral is not good enough, and I did not expect to experience some big cultural shocks here as I have absorbed so much Japanese media, but I still did. For example, hand-written resume is still prevalent, and all people need to own 2-3 chops for different things. Other than cultural shocks, the way and speed of doing things here are also very different back home (I come from Hong Kong, the place where efficiency is worshiped because "thousands of dollars are flowing between seconds", a famous quote from Shaolin Soccer), so I need to adjust my pace a lot.

Hopefully you will be able to visit here again soon! I think Japan is a fantastic place for tourists, especially so when you are an otaku (I mean, everyone on this forum is an otaku). Places selling eroges are mind-blowing and overwhelming at the same time. I can spend 1-2 hours on the eroge floor of Sofmap or Traders without getting bored. One interesting scene is that many tourists like visiting Mandarake in Akihabara, and as many of them can't read Japanese, they may accidentally wonder into doujinshi area and the look on their faces is pure gold ("wtf is this place, what am I looking at").

Anyway, regarding the collaboration, I think you are referring to this pre-order campaign (that smug of Chiffon lol):
I still have not pre-ordered the game so still have not got this. DMM is partnering with BaseSon on Girls Book Maker so maybe they just have good relationships with each other. The campaign is kinda random but I am not complaining.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have just arrived here a week ago, and things are actually pretty rough lol. Many bureaucratic stuff are not foreigner-friendly, my oral is not good enough, and I did not expect to experience some big cultural shocks here as I have absorbed so much Japanese media, but I still did. For example, hand-written resume is still prevalent, and all people need to own 2-3 chops for different things. Other than cultural shocks, the way and speed of doing things here are also very different back home (I come from Hong Kong, the place where efficiency is worshiped because "thousands of dollars are flowing between seconds", a famous quote from Shaolin Soccer), so I need to adjust my pace a lot.

Hopefully you will be able to visit here again soon! I think Japan is a fantastic place for tourists, especially so when you are an otaku (I mean, everyone on this forum is an otaku). Places selling eroges are mind-blowing and overwhelming at the same time. I can spend 1-2 hours on the eroge floor of Sofmap or Traders without getting bored. One interesting scene is that many tourists like visiting Mandarake in Akihabara, and as many of them can't read Japanese, they may accidentally wonder into doujinshi area and the look on their faces is pure gold ("wtf is this place, what am I looking at").

Anyway, regarding the collaboration, I think you are referring to this pre-order campaign (that smug of Chiffon lol):

I still have not pre-ordered the game so still have not got this. DMM is partnering with BaseSon on Girls Book Maker so maybe they just have good relationships with each other. The campaign is kinda random but I am not complaining.
Right, I had a friend move there a year ago. Getting settled in was rough for her, but I guess it's all about finding your routine. Although, it was especially rough since she went in without knowing any Japanese.

That was exactly the collab I was thinking of. Some collabs can get pretty weird, and others are more grounded(like I think Eushully and Alicesoft were releasing in the same week or month once and joined up).

I've mainly held off on BaseSon so far because they've been pushing one eroge for each of the three kingdoms for Koihime Musou.

I'm sure they're going to do a compilation set after all 3 have been out for some time. Wei was 2017, Wu was 2018, and Shu is in 2 months. I guess I'm just really patient.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh. There's been a few high profile ones, but I think Yuri is always a much safer bet. The fandom is very loyal, and piracy is very frowned upon, so their guaranteed a loyal following for whatever they do.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Winter Polaris is written by Tomo Kataoka again. Cool.
Right, I had a friend move there a year ago. Getting settled in was rough for her, but I guess it's all about finding your routine. Although, it was especially rough since she went in without knowing any Japanese.

That was exactly the collab I was thinking of. Some collabs can get pretty weird, and others are more grounded(like I think Eushully and Alicesoft were releasing in the same week or month once and joined up).

I've mainly held off on BaseSon so far because they've been pushing one eroge for each of the three kingdoms for Koihime Musou.

I'm sure they're going to do a compilation set after all 3 have been out for some time. Wei was 2017, Wu was 2018, and Shu is in 2 months. I guess I'm just really patient.
Wow, I can't imagine the hardship from going to Japan without knowing Japanese. It must be super rough for her. I am sure things will get better, but I would have definitely stressed myself out if I have no knowledge in the language.

I have also held off from playing any BaseSon titles. All of their games seem to be very long, and seeing (and fucking lol) these historic Chinese people that I am so familiar with... I am not sure. Trying out Sengoku Koihime or Girl Book Maker (even though this one has characters from Journey to the West) first seems to be a better entry point if I want to get into their games.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Could not resist anymore, I just got Ouka Sabaki from a local store. People say it plays like Ace Attorney but with adult content. Impressions are very positive so excited to see how it plays out.
CSUonnu.jpg

Also managed to get a pamphlet of the upcoming Shin Koihime Musou.
1kNx0V6.jpg

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Sharin no Kuni update:
TL;DR is that the Vita version is switching manufacturers and the Steam version is still being tested due to issues with newer Windows versions.
First of all, we want to deeply apologize for the fact that it's taken us such a long time to publish this update and for all the inconvenience and anxiety this has caused for our backers. Today we want to share with you all the information we can disclose at this point.

Development of the VITA version

As we announced in a previous update, development of the VITA version has been completed and it is now in the final stages of its production. However, as we cannot disclose its current status in full due to contract restrictions with the publishers, we want to use this chance to let you know as much as possible.

In summary, the team has decided to cancel our current contract with our previous publisher, Limited Run Games (LRG), and entrusted the manufacturing and part of the distribution of the physical VITA version to a different company.

The reason for cancelling our previous contract and changing partners is not due to any kind of problem between us and Limited Run Games, but to the development troubles that this project has been suffering and the subsequent delays provoked by them. Essentially, the risk of not meeting the manufacturing deadlines for printing the game in North America (were Limited Run Games is based) became too high.

Our initial plan was to increase the priority of the VITA development in order to meet the deadlines that LRG shared with us, and we devised a schedule that would have led us, in principle, to be able to deliver a product to LRG on time. But, since this schedule was really tight, it didn't allow any space for unexpected issues to be found during any of the development or checking processes.

At that point, Limited Run Games offered us the possibility of eliminating the risk related to not meeting the North American deadline by releasing us from our previous contract and allowing us to partner with a publisher that would not be affected by this deadline. LRG introduced us to this new publisher, and from that point onwards we began drafting our new contract.

We would very much like to share the name of our new publisher with our backers, but as the new contract is still in its final stages, we cannot disclose that information at this time. However, we would like to state that Frontwing has faith in this new publisher to provide a high-quality product and we will share more information with our backers as soon as possible.

Although this is adding to the continued delays in the development that the VITA version is undoubtedly suffering, we can safely say its production is still ongoing.

However, we absolutely understand that these changes and delays are causing inconveniences to all of our backers and we wish to express our apologies that we cannot reveal more about the situation. Please rest assured that we are all working as hard as possible to give you more information as soon as we can.

Development of the Steam version

The game itself is now in the final debugging stages, but due to the age of the software, some problems related to getting everything to the quality expected by our backers is taking more time than what the team initially expected. More specifically, the game sometimes crashed when launched on systems running newer Windows OS.

The problem mentioned above was solved by replacing the entire base program and, although there are still some minor fixes left, they are not as severe, and so we will soon be submitting the game to Steam for the evaluation process.

In the next update we also plan to share some captures from the game. After the game is submitted and preparations are finished, we will also be able to let you know a more concrete release date for the digital version. Until then, we must ask you to wait a little bit longer.

This project is the result of the cooperation between many developers and publishers, and the project team takes responsibility for not being able to adhere to the initial schedule and want to deeply apologize for it.

However, as always we are still determined to deliver both the game and its rewards. Thank you for your infinite patience.

Re:Sharin no Kuni Project Team

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Could not resist anymore, I just got Ouka Sabaki from a local store. People say it plays like Ace Attorney but with adult content. Impressions are very positive so excited to see how it plays out.
CSUonnu.jpg

1kNx0V6.jpg
Oh nice, never heard of that Ace Attorney-esque one.

Also that pamphlet, makes me kind of want to cave. It was easy waiting for a full set so far because Shu is my favorite and they're last, but we'll see.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
CSUonnu.jpg

1kNx0V6.jpg
That AA-like thing sounds like something I'll be shoving in the next surveys that Nekonyan and MG will be having.

and be inevitably disappointed

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, never heard of that Ace Attorney-esque one.

Also that pamphlet, makes me kind of want to cave. It was easy waiting for a full set so far because Shu is my favorite and they're last, but we'll see.
Gi is my favorite, history-wise. Ryuubi is cuter than Cao Cao though.
That AA-like thing sounds like something I'll be shoving in the next surveys that Nekonyan and MG will be having.

and be inevitably disappointed
I finished the first chapter last night. Around 3-4 hours long. I feel that the first case's story is a bit rush, and the UI and gameplay is not as polished as AA (obviously lol). It is basically a clone of AA, where the protagonist, being a government official, goes to different places to investigate the case and speak with people, then they will all join together for a court-like session where the player uses evidence and testimony to prove who is lying. The flow is slightly different in the court session compared with AA but the big framework is basically the same. While I think the first case is quite mediocre and left something unexplained (being foreshadowing), a bombshell is dropped at the end of chapter 1 so I expect good things to happen.

Regarding localization, yeah, ask them to do it. While I said the first case is mediocre, I love how some of the dialogues are written in certain scenes. It is definitely not a game which only focuses on mystery and murder. All government staff carries over the case so I feel that character development is going to be a huge factor in later chapters.

================================================================================
Just noticed the opening movie of Nukige Mitai na Shima ni Sunderu Watashi wa Dou Surya Ii Desu ka? 2 is out. WTF man, why all the big titles releasing on July 26th. Nukishima, Shin Koihime Musou, Ryuusei World Actor... and I am not even counting things outside eroge. If I do so, Fire Emblem and AI: the somnium files can be added to the list too. While I will only get Ryuusei on day 1, this is insanely packed. Kinda glad that I left my switch at home for my brother.

Last edited:

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Gi is my favorite, history-wise. Ryuubi is cuter than Cao Cao though.

I finished the first chapter last night. Around 3-4 hours long. I feel that the first case's story is a bit rush, and the UI and gameplay is not as polished as AA (obviously lol). It is basically a clone of AA, where the protagonist, being a government official, goes to different places to investigate the case and speak with people, then they will all join together for a court-like session where the player uses evidence and testimony to prove who is lying. The flow is slightly different in the court session compared with AA but the big framework is basically the same. While I think the first case is quite mediocre and left something unexplained (being foreshadowing), a bombshell is dropped at the end of chapter 1 so I expect good things to happen.

Regarding localization, yeah, ask them to do it. While I said the first case is mediocre, I love how some of the dialogues are written in certain scenes. It is definitely not a game which only focuses on mystery and murder. All government staff carries over the case so I feel that character development is going to be a huge factor in later chapters.

================================================================================
Just noticed the opening movie of Nukige Mitai na Shima ni Sunderu Watashi wa Dou Surya Ii Desu ka? 2 is out. WTF man, why all the big titles releasing on July 26th. Nukishima, Shin Koihime Musou, Ryuusei World Actor... and I am not even counting things outside eroge. If I do so, Fire Emblem and AI: the somnium files can be added to the list too. While I will only get Ryuusei on day 1, this is insanely packed. Kinda glad that I left my switch at home for my brother.
AI was delayed to Sep

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You have to admit VN deluge is always preferable to drought, though.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I've been checking The House in Fata Morgana's ESRB rating daily and they finally added the PS4 version today, it's coming anytime now.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Ouka Sabaki chapter 2.
dhMeAzK.gif

A huge comeback from the rather mediocre chapter 1. Now I can see why this game receives its praise. Amazing story and character development. The last scene nearly made me shed some tears. Momoyama Ion's acting is so good.

Edit: the one thing this game has done to me is that now I want Ace Attorney fully voiced. Capcom has remastered these games for so many times yet they still don't add full voice work to them, whereas IRODORI, a small eroge company, managed to do it in their first ever project (protagonist excluded) with some big names VA like Sora Haruka. Come on! It takes money and time, but the emotions and presentation of these game will become even better with voice.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
You guys, World End Syndrome is the real thing.

It's my GOTY 2019 so far, for real. This game got me by surprise and it's really, really, really good. Like, legit. I'll write my review in time, but I know it's getting a really high score.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Got a few things in. Mostly excited about these 2. I also have quite a few doubles of games, not quite sure what to do with them to be honest, especially since they're all JP.

At this rate I might as well try and go for a full sealed collection since I'm so close to that anyways. Rance 4.1 feels like it'd be impossible to find like that however.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

It's my GOTY 2019 so far, for real. This game got me by surprise and it's really, really, really good. Like, legit. I'll write my review in time, but I know it's getting a really high score.
Yeah, but you need a guide for true ending? I don't want to play and constantly checking a guide on my phone.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Your opinion sums up with the other good reviews, at this point it is a must buy. My local Amazon does not have it, but after it will be released I suppose it will sell the Uk or French edition (as it happened for Steins;Gate Elite Limited Edition and The World Ends With You), so I just jave to wait.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017

Ahhh, I want to play it. So tempting.
Got a few things in. Mostly excited about these 2. I also have quite a few doubles of games, not quite sure what to do with them to be honest, especially since they're all JP.

At this rate I might as well try and go for a full sealed collection since I'm so close to that anyways. Rance 4.1 feels like it'd be impossible to find like that however.
Joseph, can't see your pics!

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yes, able to see them now. Where do you get all these sealed old titles? Suruga-ya?
Oh, I never have luck with suruga-ya when it comes to stuff like that.

I just hunt on Y!Auctions. I can't really think of anywhere else.Things seemingly pop up already sold out on suruga-ya & mandarake if they ever do appear which is seldom.

Mercari just has nobody selling the stuff I need, as well as Rakuten. This is all probably due to the fact that I only have the rarer stuff left(also rare expensive with these titles). Auctions I'll wait for months for just one more thing to add. I got ProStudent G sealed for like 1500yen afterall.

I do have the bargain re-releases and I've missed Alicesoft's 2 latest titles left, but those aren't exactly hard to get so I wasn't focusing on them.

I'm curious about how things are on the ground in Japan when it comes to searching for older titles in good/new condition. My first instinct would be to say that it's easier, but I guess it's also true that they'd want to devote shelf space to new releases instead.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I never have luck with suruga-ya when it comes to stuff like that.

I just hunt on Y!Auctions. I can't really think of anywhere else.Things seemingly pop up already sold out on suruga-ya & mandarake if they ever do appear which is seldom.

Mercari just has nobody selling the stuff I need, as well as Rakuten. This is all probably due to the fact that I only have the rarer stuff left(also rare expensive with these titles). Auctions I'll wait for months for just one more thing to add. I got ProStudent G sealed for like 1500yen afterall.

I do have the bargain re-releases and I've missed Alicesoft's 2 latest titles left, but those aren't exactly hard to get so I wasn't focusing on them.

I'm curious about how things are on the ground in Japan when it comes to searching for older titles in good/new condition. My first instinct would be to say that it's easier, but I guess it's also true that they'd want to devote shelf space to new releases instead.
Thanks for the write-up. I have no experience in online shopping other than from Amazon and Mandarake. Always thought the stuff on Yahoo Auctions are too random so did not look for eroge on it.

Most places are dedicated for newer releases rather than old ones. I remember seeing a whole shelf designated for these old commercial and doujin titles in Suruga-ya main store. But did not take a long hard look because I do not recognize most of them. Seems to be the best place to find old titles in physical stores in Japan. I can check again tomorrow.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Oh, interesting. Hadn't heard of that one, maybe I'll check it out.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but you need a guide for true ending? I don't want to play and constantly checking a guide on my phone.

That's the only downside to the game. Until you get the right places to visit and get points with a particular character, it's mostly trial and error. I did use a guide after I noticed that and it was smooth sailing from there.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Whoa, ok. It's definitely in my backlog now- might be a few months till I get to it, since I wanna actually finally get through a few other things in it before the new When They Cry. But it'll happen if you're praising it that much.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
A lot of comments I see about Fata Morgana focus on its art style, but for someone who doesn't like the art is it still a good game?