• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Soukoku no Arterial's Devil route in 33 hours. Protagonist went complete anti-hero and have done lots of messed up stuff entirely to gain more power. I don't like seeing the whole team going down to this path with him, and I try to do everything in this route but still, I will need to do multiple playthtoughs of this route in order to complete the card collection. Let's see if I will do it anyway, seems kinda pointless if I am able to beat all superbosses without those cards.

Anyway, Human route next. But first, I am dropping the game for now to focus on Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. It helps stop me from getting too hype for Three Houses, a game which I am not certain when I can actually play. Ryuusei World Actor also comes out on the same day as FE so I will also play it to forget about the latter.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Finished Soukoku no Arterial's Devil route in 33 hours. Protagonist went complete anti-hero and have done lots of messed up stuff entirely to gain more power. I don't like seeing the whole team going down to this path with him, and I try to do everything in this route but still, I will need to do multiple playthtoughs of this route in order to complete the card collection. Let's see if I will do it anyway, seems kinda pointless if I am able to beat all superbosses without those cards.

Anyway, Human route next. But first, I am dropping the game for now to focus on Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. It helps stop me from getting too hype for Three Houses, a game which I am not certain when I can actually play. Ryuusei World Actor also comes out on the same day as FE so I will also play it to forget about the latter.
Oh nice, Marth's games are actually my favorites in the series. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I love Marth's progression, and the entire supporting cast.

-----------------

Rance 01 and Rance 02 announced for the West. That's nice, hope it gets more people interested in the series.

wYaRvS3.png

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, Marth's games are actually my favorites in the series. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I love Marth's progression, and the entire supporting cast.

-----------------

Rance 01 and Rance 02 announced for the West. That's nice, hope it gets more people interested in the series.
I enjoy it a lot. Going to get Minerva soon. Everything is good old FE (which is excellent) but I don't like needing to send members to die in order to enter the bonus chapters. It does make me think which units I want to build more carefully so it is a mix of good and bad.

Very good news to western players for the two Rance games. Hopefully more people will try their hands on them.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I enjoy it a lot. Going to get Minerva soon. Everything is good old FE (which is excellent) but I don't like needing to send members to die in order to enter the bonus chapters. It does make me think which units I want to build more carefully so it is a mix of good and bad.

Very good news to western players for the two Rance games. Hopefully more people will try their hands on them.
I guess sacrificing units fits in with the whole duality theme of his games, then again it might be giving it too much credit when it's really just there to help struggling players before things like Mila's Turnwheel, Casual, or Phoenix mode. As a result I'm not that familiar with the bonus units since I dislike purposefully killing off people as well.

------------

Mangagamer also has merch just for Western audiences like a version of Escalayer for a mousepad, and even Evenicle's Ramius has one.

Kinda jealous I haven't gone to a con they're at to get them.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus (if any) on Clannad around these parts? It just came out on Switch and I know it's one of the more well known VNs, but is it actually any good?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I guess sacrificing units fits in with the whole duality theme of his games, then again it might be giving it too much credit when it's really just there to help struggling players before things like Mila's Turnwheel, Casual, or Phoenix mode. As a result I'm not that familiar with the bonus units since I dislike purposefully killing off people as well.

------------

Mangagamer also has merch just for Western audiences like a version of Escalayer for a mousepad, and even Evenicle's Ramius has one.

Kinda jealous I haven't gone to a con they're at to get them.
Yeah, I would rather not enter those bonus chapters if it means I need to kill people off. And I find it getting harder to pick as the team is starting to be filled with characters that I care.

Regarding merch, I don't usually care about them due to lacking space and money. But if I like a tapestry, I will certainly try to hunt it down.
What's the consensus (if any) on Clannad around these parts? It just came out on Switch and I know it's one of the more well known VNs, but is it actually any good?
It is regarded as one of the best romance VN. You will need to invest a huge amount of time if you want to 100% the game, so I would recommend just follow a guide and pick those characters you like.

Personally I am not really a big fan of the Key's titles that I have played. I like (not love) Clannad and Little Busters! whereas both of them are regarded as masterpieces from a lot of people.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it last time I played it which I think was the Full Voice version.

I do prefer Kanon, but Clannad is very much a solid nakige.
Yeah, I would rather not enter those bonus chapters if it means I need to kill people off. And I find it getting harder to pick as the team is starting to be filled with characters that I care.

Regarding merch, I don't usually care about them due to lacking space and money. But if I like a tapestry, I will certainly try to hunt it down.

It is regarded as one of the best romance VN. You will need to invest a huge amount of time if you want to 100% the game, so I would recommend just follow a guide and pick those characters you like.

Personally I am not really a big fan of the Key's titles that I have played. I like (not love) Clannad and Little Busters! whereas both of them are regarded as masterpieces from a lot of people.
Thanks guys, I think ill probably add it to my list for now and wait for a sale. I'd kind of like to see what all the fuss is about, but if it's not a case of 'you must play this', then I'm in no rush.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I really really liked Clannad when I played it.

But... that was in high school. Dunno how I'd feel about it now. I backed the Kickstarter due to my fondness for it but never actually got around to playing the new side stories I'd never seen.

If anything, I still just think if I ever go back to their games, it'd be Little Busters and Rewrite. I unfortunate somehow still remember big spoilers I saw for both to this day (moreso Little Busters), but it'd be interesting to finally see them.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
After almost two months, I finished Fate/Stay Night. What a ride, it took me so much because the only portability I could get was to play it on my Surface, but it was absolutely worth. Now I understand why Fate Grand Order has been so successful, the world which was inherited by the original VN is so rich, with a big variety of characters. Even though it is quire an old game, it ages pretty well and it is absolutely playable today. Moreover, it is incredible how it basically includes three games, one for each route, that at the same time are complementary to understand the whole context. To conclude, a few comments about the final part of Heaven's Feel and about the Last Episode:

I was sure that the true ending of HF would have been a sad ending, where Sakura died, since the tone of the whole route was quite dark. But I was wrong, it has been the traditional happy ending, where everyone apart from Ilya and Saber were able to continue their lives. I don't know if I would have preferred otherwise, but what I really liked has been the relationship between the two sisters. The moment in which Rin understand her real feelings and decides not to kill Sakura and hugs her is so touching; the fact itself that they were sisters was something surprising and basically overtuned all my expectations about this route. Then, the final battle between Shirou and Kirei was really good, since it was a battle where for the time they fought without using magic more again the time than against their enemy.

Maybe some minor flaws are the new Assassin, who just was really strong but didn't contribute so much with his own past story, and the role of Saber, whose death by Shirou's hand has been so fast, I would have preferred a longer moment where they could share some thoughts. But in any case also the third route has been great, almost on pair with UBW.

Then, about the Last Episode, I thought it could be a huge conclusion to the whole saga, but it is basically a conclusion of the Fate route. I suppose it is just fanservice and it is nice as it is, even though there were opportunities to write a much better final episode.

Now it is time to continue WorldEnd Syndrome and I just got the notification that Clannad is available in the DHL center to be collected (amazon.co.jp is impressively fast every time! Shipped on Thursday, already here on Monday). Too many good visual novels to play…

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
After almost two months, I finished Fate/Stay Night. What a ride, it took me so much because the only portability I could get was to play it on my Surface, but it was absolutely worth. Now I understand why Fate Grand Order has been so successful, the world which was inherited by the original VN is so rich, with a big variety of characters. Even though it is quire an old game, it ages pretty well and it is absolutely playable today. Moreover, it is incredible how it basically includes three games, one for each route, that at the same time are complementary to understand the whole context. To conclude, a few comments about the final part of Heaven's Feel and about the Last Episode:

I was sure that the true ending of HF would have been a sad ending, where Sakura died, since the tone of the whole route was quite dark. But I was wrong, it has been the traditional happy ending, where everyone apart from Ilya and Saber were able to continue their lives. I don't know if I would have preferred otherwise, but what I really liked has been the relationship between the two sisters. The moment in which Rin understand her real feelings and decides not to kill Sakura and hugs her is so touching; the fact itself that they were sisters was something surprising and basically overtuned all my expectations about this route. Then, the final battle between Shirou and Kirei was really good, since it was a battle where for the time they fought without using magic more again the time than against their enemy.

Maybe some minor flaws are the new Assassin, who just was really strong but didn't contribute so much with his own past story, and the role of Saber, whose death by Shirou's hand has been so fast, I would have preferred a longer moment where they could share some thoughts. But in any case also the third route has been great, almost on pair with UBW.

Then, about the Last Episode, I thought it could be a huge conclusion to the whole saga, but it is basically a conclusion of the Fate route. I suppose it is just fanservice and it is nice as it is, even though there were opportunities to write a much better final episode.

Now it is time to continue WorldEnd Syndrome and I just got the notification that Clannad is available in the DHL center to be collected (amazon.co.jp is impressively fast every time! Shipped on Thursday, already here on Monday). Too many good visual novels to play…
Good time to jump into FGO if you liked FSN right now. Anniversary just started so you get a bunch of free stuff.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
My copy of Tokyo School Life came in today. For a game with only 5,000 copies printed (at least, as NA copies), I'm surprised this really flew under the radar, as VGP still has them available.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Good time to jump into FGO if you liked FSN right now. Anniversary just started so you get a bunch of free stuff.
I tried to install it, but on my phone (OP3T) it is so slow... maybe it is because I am connecting from Europe.

Returning OT, i found out that with the Clannad VN (Japanese Switch version) there is also a CD with the sound track, I didn't know it!

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
My local store that I use to purchase stuff that otherwise I'd have to import myself has World end syndrome stocked, I'm thinking of taking the plunge

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
My local store that I use to purchase stuff that otherwise I'd have to import myself has World end syndrome stocked, I'm thinking of taking the plunge

I am now at two hours's time in the game and it is still improving, I can see that the theme is about life and death, and it seems really interesting. Also the visuals are beautiful (the backgrounds are animated!) and the cast so varied. When I found out about this visual novel, initially I thought it was just a harem visual novel since there were five girls in the promotional picture, instead the story seems much deeper than it can seem.
About the artbook, mine is not so good because there were several pages attached one to another and I had to separate them manually and carefully, but I was maybe just unlucky - and anyway I just wanted the physical copy of the game, the artbook is a plus.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Since I think you already finished WES, can I ask you one thing? I have just reached the
Worst Ending
Now have I to see again everything until the last day of July, using the Skip function? Or are there faster methods?

Use "skip read", that'll be handy as you'll likely do many playthroughs.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Use "skip read", that'll be handy as you'll likely do many playthroughs.
Thank you! I have also discovered that by loading the save of 30th July, I can avoid to "skip read" the first two months, so now I can do multiple playthroughs of August. Maybe I will use a guide for getting all the endings, since the choices seem so many (many choices, 2/3 times per day) and I suppose there would be so many bad endings too.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
After the "big" screen of the old Switch version, I cannot return to smaller displays (like for the smartphones I don't see myself going down 5.5' anymore), even though I played it almost only on handheld. But the price is really good, this holiday it will seem so much and I hope it contributes to other VNs (but about this aspect so many good VNs are coming to Switch anyway)

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Unless there's a LE Switch I must have I'm not...side-grading?

I don't have to deal with the joy-con's inevitable drift design flaw, and I'd had a d-pad, but...I like everything else about my current one.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
My ipad with Steam Link is basically a switch on steroids when it comes of visual novels, and I can barely go back to smaller screens.
I'll stick with the current model, I would definitely upgrade if nintendo came out with a model with a bigger screen though

edit: I can see the appeal for other people though, so it's nice they did a dedicated hanheld version.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Sol Press store is finally live
seems like they are getting around the payment processor problems that e.g. MG are having by selling all-ages versions of their games and hosting 18+ patches on a separate site.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Started Daedalus: Awakening of Golden Jazz, being my very first Jake Hunter game and so far I like it. THe music is nice, the art is nice and the localization is good so far.
It has a nice chill vibe to it. It's a great fit for my upcoming FF14 playthru too which I aim to start tomorrow.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Historic-wise, Rance is the Mario / Zelda in eroge. I am happy to finally start diving into the series this year and also Westerners are getting localizations for 01 and 02. It has questionable stuff (being an eroge, not surprising) but I hope people can keep an open mind regarding it. 01 impressed me a lot with many scenes, while some of them are great as well as really messed up, there are also some absolutely hilarious moments that still makes me laugh when thinking about them. I can't comment on characters because it is too early to make judgement, but it is safe to say that they are unique and it is downright funny just watching Rance fucking around with his over-confidence personality.

I wish Alicesoft all the best. And please remake Rance 4. Please.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The Grisaia Trilogy Switch version is available on amazon.co.jp, shipping worldwide:

I was thinking about pre-ordering it, but with shipping fees and the deposit for import fees, it would cost me 80€... I was hoping 60€ like Clannad. Do you think they would be worth or not? Is it a good visual novel?

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
The Grisaia Trilogy Switch version is available on amazon.co.jp, shipping worldwide:

I was thinking about pre-ordering it, but with shipping fees and the deposit for import fees, it would cost me 80€... I was hoping 60€ like Clannad. Do you think they would be worth or not? Is it a good visual novel?
grisaia is one of my favorite VN series ever, great characters, cool plot, amazing mix of comedy and drama, i put it in the OP for a reason, it's legit

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
grisaia is one of my favorite VN series ever, great characters, cool plot, amazing mix of comedy and drama, i put it in the OP for a reason, it's legit
Thank you for your opinion, maybe I will pre-order it and will decide later if to buy it or not, depending on some outcomes (also about fundings) I am waiting.

In the meantime, a little update about WorldEnd Syndrome: I completed the first three route and the questions are still increasing, the mistery is clearly very well organized. Some "plot-twists" are quite plain, like
Maimi is the girl in charge of the radio show, it was so evident
while others are quite surprising. I am really liking the fact that each character has a deep background, no one seems stereotypized at all (maybe Kensuke, but who knows, I suspect he could play also a bigger role even though nothing seems to imply that).
Then something which I think that it could be possible is
the fact that Rei Nikaido and Saya Kamishiro are sisters. Both have a mother who died after going to that town, Rei was a bit older when her mother died, their fathers are violent men, they both love pandas. Too many clues. What I am not sure if they will reveal it or not in the true ending, I will find out it.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried Steam Link with my tablet and I think this is the way to read visual novels now. Worked so well.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I like the fact that I can reposition every button and resize, it was my major issue with Splashtop