• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping Minagoroshi is up on Steam when I get home from work tonight. If not, I guess tomorrow night would still be fine.

Happy to hear that Photonmelodies is already well under way, as well.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I finished WorldEnd Syndrome today. It is really a solid visual novel! Even when I was thinking that all the mysteries were solved, at the end a pair of plot twists were really well executed! And, about this, fortunately I didn't look at the artbook before playing it! Do not do it absolutely, because otherwise you would be spoiled about the ending of the game! And it would be quite a pity, trust me.
Although the gameplay could be in some parts repetitive, the five routes are then sufficiently different one from each other. The five girls have completely different personalities and it is interesting to see how the main characters relates to them. The cast is, besides, really variegated and enjoyable. About the story (do not read before finishing the game)
when I started the game, and even after the first 2-3 routes, I didn't think that the Yomibitos really existed. I though that they were only a legend in the game. Instead, they were real.. brutally, I must say. We discover the identity of the first Yomibito (Kaori Yamashiro) by means of a cinematic sequence which gets new frames every time we start a new route (and this is something I loved!). But then, really, when I found out that the second Yomibito is the main character's sister... and then the main character has been an unreliable narrator all the time... wow, a great plot twist.
But, what I loved the most about the visual novel, is the reason for which Yomibitos return to the real world. It it because they care for someone and want to be sure they are properly living. Kaori cared for her killer (who in the meantime was becoming a serial killer of high school girls), while Yukino returned because her brother, Sora, was tormented by the remorse. And, then, when their fear disappears, they leave again the real world... This is something romantic and tragic at the same time. I admit that, when I was completing the True Ending, I got a bit emotional, and I didn't expect it at all.
And then, at the end, a hint for a possible sequel... who knows if they will really do it, I would anyway buy it day one without any doubt
To conclude, I absolutely recommend this visual novel. Since its length is around 20 hours, the price of 50€ could seem a bit high, but it is absolutely worth it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Only 20 hours is encouraging, not a deterrent, haha.

Did you use a guide? I saw the one that was posted before (but did not want to look more out of fear of being spoiled beyond that initial twist) but didn't know if it was something where you really want that, or can fumble your way through a few endings before you need to start looking up what to do.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Did you use a guide? I saw the one that was posted before (but did not want to look more out of fear of being spoiled beyond that initial twist) but didn't know if it was something where you really want that, or can fumble your way through a few endings before you need to start looking up what to do.

Yes, do use a guide.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Yes I used the guide which I posted here before. It is almost necessary because the choices you can make are many - you can try to understand them by identifying the most important locations for each character, but they are not always in the same place. Anyway, that guide is almost spoiler-free, except for the last choice you have to make in the Yukino's route (that is the fourth route).

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
I played almost entirely without a guide, which I found to be a mix between fulfilling (I think I saw a lot of content with side characters that a route guide probably wouldn't have led me to, as well as hints to various things) and tedious (fortunately you can simply load a save and it still remembers what you did before loading, but the delays from going through the menus got grating after a while).

I did have to resort to a guide to figure out one thing though, which unlike many other events didn't have a hint on the map when it was available:
that is, how to get onto Hanako route proper (going back to the mansion on the rainy day)

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Muv-Luv photonflowers* is releasing on Steam in just a couple of days (on the 23rd):
We know the story: you've just finished the emotional roller coaster that is Muv-Luv Alternative, but you're not ready for the ride to end. It's called Muv-Luv Withdrawal, and it happens to the best of us. But we've got the perfect prescription: twelve delectable doses of Muv-Luv goodness, collected here in one sleek package. Reunite with familiar faces (and meet some new ones as well) in this epic compilation of supplemental stories never before released in English!

No word on the price yet.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, see, what calc84maniac describes seems more like the approach I'd take, as I like not missing side content if possible. And I have a pretty high tolerance for tedium. But we'll see how long that feeling lasts when I get around to playing it, ideally in a few months. I guess at the very last I'd check the suggested route order and try to aim for that.

Meanwhile, I actually do have a relevant game to talk about- I finally started playing Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past, the DS game. Finished the first case so far; I like the relatively short length of each case (assuming this is the standard length) and how quick it moves, but so far the actual investigation bits are kinda iffy. Several times I've been stuck in an area because it wasn't clear I needed to select the same option twice. The "detective talk" of the localization is also a bit much for the actual setting, especially with the casual sexism brought into it, but I guess I don't have no idea how much of that specific aspect is added or not.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I wish JAST would acknowledge Autumn. They haven't said anything outside of that panel that barely anyone reported. Été had a website for like a year before it came out.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Someone on /u/ found this message hidden in the files of Expression :(

l81Lm0J.png

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, here I present you... Ryuusei World Actor
SAr4XkB_d.jpg

After a super long wait, it is finally here. I managed to get the color paper bonuses without pre-ordering the game. So exciting to put some quality hours into it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finished with Minagoroshi. It was another really good chapter, and most of the questions have been answered now. I really want to see how the story ends, so I hope that this wait isn't quite as bad as the last two have been.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Finished with Minagoroshi. It was another really good chapter, and most of the questions have been answered now. I really want to see how the story ends, so I hope that this wait isn't quite as bad as the last two have been.
My dream was for Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi to both be released this year, but I am not sure if MangaGamer could do that at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
My dream was for Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi to both be released this year, but I am not sure if MangaGamer could do that at this point.

It all comes down to if they're willing to prioritize programming of it or not. It's been fully edited already, but that didn't help Minagoroshi or even Tsumihoroboshi get out any faster. I'd really love to get a surprise release by the end of the year, though (and then after that I could jump straight into Umineko).

At this point I'm really wondering just how long it will take them to release everything when you consider Rei and the other stuff as well.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Ladies and gentlemen, here I present you... Ryuusei World Actor
SAr4XkB_d.jpg

After a super long wait, it is finally here. I managed to get the color paper bonuses without pre-ordering the game. So exciting to put some quality hours into it.
Kinugasa Shougo story hype!
I love the Akatsuki no Goei trilogy so much...
Which is why I also liked Reminiscence and its connection to AnG (though it made my heart hurt)

I know this isn't related at all but clearly it's due to this that I'm super pumped for this one. I really hope the story is as good as I expect it to be.

PS: need more AnG in my life...kind of a dream would be to continue having connections like in Reminiscence and then BOOM the 4th one gets released.
PPS: Where is Tonari no Shoujo though...another VN with Kinugasa as scenario-writer but we haven't heard anything since the announcement in November 2016...

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019

I ended up just watching a Youtube Let's Play of the final chapter with no commentary, which is pretty much the same as playing the game. The translation is totally fine, only a few awkward phrasings here and there. So if you don't want to wait that's one route to go.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Finished Worldend Syndrome last night. I think the eShop trailer really doesn't do the game justice, it's more slice of life with a late-game mystery that has some horror/supernatural themes. The trailer really made me thought it was a horror/survival story and I only picked it up because of Shizuka's glowing praise:

You guys, World End Syndrome is the real thing.

It's my GOTY 2019 so far, for real. This game got me by surprise and it's really, really, really good. Like, legit. I'll write my review in time, but I know it's getting a really high score.

And I gotta agree. Excellent cast, amazing art (animated backgrounds!?) and it has an interesting gameplay loop which actually had me attempting to discover everything myself and beat it without a guide (I eventually caved in but I don't regret my independent playthroughs at all).

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i've been playing Date-A-Live and i'm nearly done with the first game but i'm stuck trying to get a CG to pop up, anyone know how to get the one in the bottom right on page 7/21?

i found it pretty quickly in the guide i was using for the other endings

you just view memory 205 after getting the true ending

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like VGP has really established an NA partnership with Pqube titles? I think these Day 1 editions will be available elsewhere, but here's more details, at least.

2c2bffca-88bf-4e8c-b9b9-01b3a7ebd30c.jpg

3e65e9fa-07b1-4e06-bc3a-f7a74adf5b3e.jpg

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be sure to get the 3-game bundle if you already own the updated Muv-Luv releases on Steam. That turns the 10% discount into a 23% discount:

The sci-fi detective noir VN, Dry Drowning, also released yesterday, and based on the demo it looks to be a really promising.
It seemingly draws a lot of inspiration from the investigative segments in Ace Attorney, though I doubt that it has court battles:

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I just got my Shizuka figure in, and she looks surprisingly good.

I'd post pictures, but whilst the hair does cover, I'm not sure if that's good enough for this site.

Picked up Rance 5D finally. Glad to have the best game in the series(I kid, but I'm still happy to have it).

EBCTORUX4AEipTY

The MIN-NARAKEN Creator Work volume came in as well:

EBCR2hOWwAAPVoF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, TADA recently had an interview that covered how he got into game development, and every step along the way until retirement.

It's pretty in-depth, but it's also only in Japanese. I'll just leave the link here: https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/projectbook/190801a

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a good recap of 999 and VLR? Thinking of finally biting the bullet and getting Zero Time Dilemma out of the way before Ai Insomnium Files drops, but I remember very little.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I think we might be getting Kiminozo as the Muv-Luv official Facebook page changed the cover to one of the characters for that game.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I think we might be getting Kiminozo as the Muv-Luv official Facebook page changed the cover to one of the characters for that game.

"Thanks to the awesome support we've been receiving from backers, fans, and you, the possibility of bringing more âge games to the west is becoming even stronger. Please look forward to our announcements in the coming months, and for the years to come!"

edit: it was in the KS news so I suppose you have seen it already (duh I'm dumb), still iirc degica wanted to localize it back then when they were working on ML so I suppose the possibility was there and we might get it now.

edit 2: their twitter too

also 3rd of august was the anniversary of the series

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

This new release of The Song of Saya includes a major technical update that improves on the fidelity of the visual novel experience. It runs on a new engine that, among other things, adds enhanced resolution options for the game's visuals. To take advantage of this, all the illustrations for the game were re-scanned to more than double the resolution found in the original release. The text has been polished by the original translator as well, making the already great localization even better.