• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I actually got a Sekai backed game in the mail today :x The Memory's Dogma CODE:01 physical game+soundtrack. They basically said if the devs ever do make 02 (I think it was going slow/on hiatus or something) then they would also print and send out copies for it too.

EDIT: That makes it 18/36 Kickstarters that I have completely received my pledges for, with more coming pretty soon, too. Kickstarters: for the very, very patient person (preferably already with a big backlog) >_>

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i've been avoiding Zero Time Dilemma like the plague after playing the first two but guess i'll pick it up for 3 bucks thanks

we'll see if I ever actually play it though

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today, it was posted that Conjourer had passed away:

Conjourer was a translator who worked on a greater number of projects, including Himawari, Dies Irae, Damekoi, ENIGMA:, SeaBed, Miniature Garden and Seven Days, Rewrite+, and more. His death is a great loss to the English speaking visual novel community, to say nothing of his family.

Isn't this the one that they censored themselves so much that they took out kissing or something?
Yes. There's a restoration patch for the Steam version, which is basically a complete re-translation.
I wouldn't want to touch the original translation by MoeNovel with a ten-foot pole.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Conjourer was a translator who worked on a greater number of projects, including Himawari, Dies Irae, Damekoi, ENIGMA:, SeaBed, Miniature Garden and Seven Days, Rewrite+, and more. His death is a great loss to the English speaking visual novel community, to say nothing of his family.

Yes. There's a restoration patch for the Steam version, which is basically a complete re-translation.
I wouldn't want to touch the original translation by MoeNovel with a ten-foot pole.

I wonder if the Switch version will be the same one then, since MoeNovel posted on it... Would decide if I'll get it or not :/

And wow, sad about that guy :( Not familiar with the name, but he sure worked on a lot of titles.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today, it was posted that Conjourer had passed away

RIP, 29 is far too young to die. Really loved SeaBed.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

Oh man, that's way too young to die. My heart goes out to his family.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I always forget just how good muv luvs production values are compared to other vns

I was replaying it and stopped halfway into alternative just before the Sadogishima stuff 6 months ago and picked it up again tonight and just got immediately sucked back in with the battle

there's just so much detail in all those combat situation pictures plus all the animated stuff etc

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give a shout-out to DIVINATION, a short and very unusual OELVN:

In DIVINATION you play the role of the Diviner, a person famous for giving answers to those who seek guidance.
The answers you decide on will shape not only the intertwined fate of your clients, but also the fate of humanity.

In practical terms, this involves deciding on how to order the divination stones, with each combination giving a particular imagery (the broken tower, the empty cage, a closed eye, ..) and a particular answer (he will repeat his crime, you will fail the job, ...) and see how this affects the story-line, picking up clues from brief intermissions to help you decide what to do.

Ajj4Xo.png

The novel is quite minimal, but does an excellent job of setting up a dark and foreboding atmosphere, and the limited game-play works really well for the theme. My only real complaint is that the English is kinda rough, which is a shame, but the story was compelling nonetheless and there are several surprises along the way to the true end.

Highly recommended if you can spare one dollar and one hour.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm currently playing Clannad and I'm really liking it. This is my first visual novel ever and I'm a little confused.

How long to beat lists this game as 90 hours but others are mentioning it takes around 30 hours to complete. Anyone knows how long this game is? And what exactly are routes in visual novels?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm currently playing Clannad and I'm really liking it. This is my first visual novel ever and I'm a little confused.

How long to beat lists this game as 90 hours but others are mentioning it takes around 30 hours to complete. Anyone knows how long this game is? And what exactly are routes in visual novels?

I am also planning to play Clannad in the next weeks after I finish a route in Fire Emblem. I do not know how much itwill take to play, but I can give you general suggestions.

Generally I look at the HLTB (how long to beat) website for visual novels and for me it is pretty accurate. Usually I take 5-10 hours less for long VNs because I read quite fast, so
for 55-60 hours could be a good estimate for Clannad. If you don't read fast, however, there wouldn't be much different. After all, there is no gameplay where you can get lost. But, this is important, at a certain point I always use a guide for VN. For Clannad, also, it will be be essential. To explain why, now I go into the concept of route.

A VN (particularly the traditional ones, like Clannad) has multiple routes, i.e. different stories which sometimes have the same beginning, but then they completely diverge depending on your decisions. For traditional VNs, in fact, the only gameplay is to answer in-game questions. Some decisions could be critical, i.e. they lock you in a route, others instead should be combined to get into a certain route (e.g. Steins;Gate is an example of this, but as far as I understood, also Clannad).
This way, you will play multiple times the story of a VN (or some parts), getting different endings. Then, tipically, a true ending is present (I suppose it is After Story in Clannad). To unlock it, again, there are different requirements: you have to read all the other routes with their endings, or you just have to take the correct decisions etc.
Moreover, each route can have multiple endings, band endings and good ending. Again, the outcome depends on the decisions.

Given this context, for this reason I often use guides, so that I can choose the decisions according to how I want to play the game. For example, there are also suggested route orders in the guides (for Clannad, I will follow the guide which suggests the Baseball Route as first), because in some games it is better to play a route before another because otherwise you would get spoiled about something (an example of this is Fate/Stay Night, that has three routes to be played in a specific order to enjoy the story and the plot twists).

These are my considerations, maybe there are someone who play VNs without guides of course, but for long ones at most after a pair of runs I suggest them.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I am also planning to play Clannad in the next weeks after I finish a route in Fire Emblem. I do not know how much itwill take to play, but I can give you general suggestions.

Generally I look at the HLTB (how long to beat) website for visual novels and for me it is pretty accurate. Usually I take 5-10 hours less for long VNs because I read quite fast, so
for 55-60 hours could be a good estimate for Clannad. If you don't read fast, however, there wouldn't be much different. After all, there is no gameplay where you can get lost. But, this is important, at a certain point I always use a guide for VN. For Clannad, also, it will be be essential. To explain why, now I go into the concept of route.

A VN (particularly the traditional ones, like Clannad) has multiple routes, i.e. different stories which sometimes have the same beginning, but then they completely diverge depending on your decisions. For traditional VNs, in fact, the only gameplay is to answer in-game questions. Some decisions could be critical, i.e. they lock you in a route, others instead should be combined to get into a certain route (e.g. Steins;Gate is an example of this, but as far as I understood, also Clannad).
This way, you will play multiple times the story of a VN (or some parts), getting different endings. Then, tipically, a true ending is present (I suppose it is After Story in Clannad). To unlock it, again, there are different requirements: you have to read all the other routes with their endings, or you just have to take the correct decisions etc.
Moreover, each route can have multiple endings, band endings and good ending. Again, the outcome depends on the decisions.

Given this context, for this reason I often use guides, so that I can choose the decisions according to how I want to play the game. For example, there are also suggested route orders in the guides (for Clannad, I will follow the guide which suggests the Baseball Route as first), because in some games it is better to play a route before another because otherwise you would get spoiled about something (an example of this is Fate/Stay Night, that has three routes to be played in a specific order to enjoy the story and the plot twists).

These are my considerations, maybe there are someone who play VNs without guides of course, but for long ones at most after a pair of runs I suggest them.
Thanks for the explanation. I thought Visual novels were some kind of choose your own adventure but Clannad kinda scares me with all it routes. I don't want to miss out the True ending/after story.

I really like the game so using a guide is a great advice.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I hope that Gamestop carries the Day 1 version of PQube titles... Pre-ordered Root Letter: Last Answer there since I had enough credit still, although it's not advertised as such... I assume that all first print PQube titles (in NA) are "Day 1"?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up binging though Chaos;Child this last week and had a pretty good time. Wasn't a fan of how shonen it got at times (like the main route's ending) but I especially liked the beginning of the VN when it focused more on its horror elements. Some of the twists felt unecessary as well but it wasn't a deal breaker. I don't think it'll stay with me for long but I still really enjoyed my time with it.

Started up 428 too. I'm still pretty early up but it's a delight so far.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yu-No is in the coming soon section of the NA Switch eShop with a date of 10th October. Don't know if this is news.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I finished Tomoyo's route in Clannad. Wow, that was an impressingly good story, it almost felt as the main route. I was fearing that
it would have been ended without Tomoyo and Tomoya being together again
but this time I was happily wrong. I hope the other routes will be as good as this one - at the moment I have only playes baseball route (it was so difficult for me to understand the last part, because of so many baseball terms I don't know), Misae and Tomoyo, with the latter being the best without doubt out of the three.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished Komachi route in Ryuusei World Actor. I know a sequel (a social game, I heard) is in development, so I expected that some twists will not get answer in this game. But the whole route, not just the ending, is so underwhelming. The romance and sex feel rushed. New character got introduced and heavily hinted to be a villain, but nothing happened between him and the protagonist throughout the route. The final fight against the main villain of the route is super short and the protagonist did not even beat him. They just reveal the ability of the villain, then the story got cut off.

Seriously, I am disappointed. At least Komachi is cute, I guess. Now I expect the other two relatively minor routes will get the same treatment like Komachi. Hopefully the main route will be more satisfying.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I finally finished Komachi route in Ryuusei World Actor. I know a sequel (a social game, I heard) is in development, so I expected that some twists will not get answer in this game. But the whole route, not just the ending, is so underwhelming. The romance and sex feel rushed. New character got introduced and heavily hinted to be a villain, but nothing happened between him and the protagonist throughout the route. The final fight against the main villain of the route is super short and the protagonist did not even beat him. They just reveal the ability of the villain, then the story got cut off.

Seriously, I am disappointed. At least Komachi is cute, I guess. Now I expect the other two relatively minor routes will get the same treatment like Komachi. Hopefully the main route will be more satisfying.
Oh that's a shame to hear, I had high hopes for that game.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Got my PS4 Tokyo Chronos VR code today! Played the opening chapter and really enjoying it so far. Pretty standard "mystery VN" plot so far but the characters all have really fun and distinct designs and I like them all so I'm eager to see where it goes.
The VR works so much better than I'd hoped. Text is crisp and easy to keep track of in space. I love how a character can point to something on top of a building and I can turn and see what's up there before the game directs me to do so.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Got my PS4 Tokyo Chronos VR code today! Played the opening chapter and really enjoying it so far. Pretty standard "mystery VN" plot so far but the characters all have really fun and distinct designs and I like them all so I'm eager to see where it goes.
The VR works so much better than I'd hoped. Text is crisp and easy to keep track of in space. I love how a character can point to something on top of a building and I can turn and see what's up there before the game directs me to do so.
That's good to hear. I've been eyeing up the Quest version.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Just finished Kotomi's route in Clannad. I must admit that it made my eyes a bit moist. She has a fantastic character development, so far the best in Clannad, and I loved how so many characters interacted in her route, despite what happened for example in Yukine's route, that also clearly suffers of pacing problems. The story in Kotomi's route is very well-written and makes all what initially seemed a bit off perfectly natural, once the reader understands the context of each sentence or action of Kotomi. Next will be Kyou/Ryou's route, that seems another great route from what I read online.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Is Yu-No good? I'd definitely heard of it before seeing it appear on the eShop, but I don't recall the context.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that in the past I downloaded this game on my phone but I never played it, since I cannot make myself to play mobile games for a long time. Is it a good VN? If I remember correctly, there was also some problems about localization/censorship (but maybe I am confusing with another VN).

Yes you remember correctly, the official English version is pretty much reviled by everyone as far as I can tell.
There is a fan retranslation/restoration patch for the PC version that seems to be well regarded though.
Have no idea if it's any good as I haven't played it yet :p

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm not mad Spike Chunsoft is handling 5pb titles now. They're doing a way better job than PQube was.

What did PQube do differently? I did buy the PS3 version of Steins, but never played it since I already had the PC copy I went through. I figured if it's due to lack of support, that maybe they weren't able to get the license for it directly? Or was it more a translation issue, or something else?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What did PQube do differently? I did buy the PS3 version of Steins, but never played it since I already had the PC copy I went through. I figured if it's due to lack of support, that maybe they weren't able to get the license for it directly? Or was it more a translation issue, or something else?

Spike Chunsoft are releasing games more often, without delays and more consistently. They're finally delivering Robotics;Notes, for an example.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I got spoiled about this thing in the past (for this reason I opened the spoiler, since I imagined it was that). But would this knowledge have an impact on the rest of the story?
It doesn't. I stopped reading midway through the ending chapter, and still consider the middle 'adventure' part to be great.
Not squeamish about this stuff in fiction too.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Just got root letter today in the mail and finished the first chapter. Liking it so far, reminds me of 428. Anybody knows if theres gonna be an OT for it?

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Yu-No good? I'd definitely heard of it before seeing it appear on the eShop, but I don't recall the context.
I played the PC-98 original and from what I hear the new version is as close as it can get content-wise on a console.

It has nice parts (the funky bits of the story), it has really nice parts (one particular story arc I liked a lot, the music was great at least in the original), and it has parts that are so astoundingly bad (questionable at best, often related to sex) that I can't recommend the whole thing without reservations if you're at all sensitive to sexualization and worse.

It takes fanservice and objectification to a fucking extreme and the topic spoilered by Knurek leads to some wild shit (in a "writing so bad it's almost good" sort of way).

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I played the PC-98 original and from what I hear the new version is as close as it can get content-wise on a console.

It has nice parts (the funky bits of the story), it has really nice parts (one particular story arc I liked a lot, the music was great at least in the original), and it has parts that are so astoundingly bad (questionable at best, often related to sex) that I can't recommend the whole thing without reservations if you're at all sensitive to sexualization and worse.

It takes fanservice and objectification to a fucking extreme and the topic spoilered by Knurek leads to some wild shit (in a "writing so bad it's almost good" sort of way).
Lol, wow. Now I'm morbidly curious!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just got root letter today in the mail and finished the first chapter. Liking it so far, reminds me of 428. Anybody knows if theres gonna be an OT for it?

Depends on the interest, I guess? I sorta feel like the regulars here who may be interested have already played the original, but maybe I'm wrong and/or there's enough interest outside the thread to merit it.

Personally, I ended up disliking the original so I didn't bite this time, but I'll be curious to hear if you enjoy the new ending stuff they added. I actually liked the true ending, but was frustrated by how they handled all the other endings, so if what they've added is satisfying that may relieve some of my issues.