• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Anyone knows if the fan translation of Higurashi 8 is really bad?

I really, really want to read the end of the story but MangaGamer probably won't release it until next year :/

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Taimamin was rejected by Valve.
I think thats fine.

I dont understand how "dumb" the pubs are and think "Well. Lets release one of the more fucked up eroges on Steam. Try to find one of the worst ones where rape, confinement, pregnancy bad endings, torture etc. are used for titilation.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they like the publicity it brings, and they can piggyback off of it and say "Well, it's too hardcore for Steam, but you can get it at xxx".

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Added one more to the collection.

I now have "Ayumi-chan Monogatari" for Windows 95. I've had a hell of a time trying to find it, so I'm glad I did.

It's going to be a little strange for me since it has been ages since I've played an eroge that was a straightforwards love story without RPG battles, and massive dilemmas.

WyfQtiVDyuIvMEA7q6cyq1gR7xz_DdvZZ6z3M-hIJqUcuWVweSUQaGnGWdC1rlAhOn1XJ70lGXjiHu_r0AoN-2kKhVClPjEwJjLzcoGRTKBds44Lp1Pim-dOAquVDbvnJc2MkPFEqXqV-vWozzmo98IHYREKtbM5hrXLBB5WIQJdgdoIQEObUrOr9PBFdiN6oQrMnFU-Dgh0fNVi2dd7afl_k6Z1vV_hPrP2WUURQQGqO3BeekQ9dmZvOxnzg2ZDjtzbJAvwjAmLw8wvn3qwjSJjkQX7nGrl3bfYrnFCKdaJY2u9TU0bUtZkdpHvr4swSYCMrC0fgcVje6O7JdaUp-Ej6Si5k5VXc8_bk-runrNxNqZ4d-asz67dwdjJsOYz7DOe6-YuKadojv7v6T6Qbra1i9Ll-jOMlDuqhs8ipu01ZMm_VF-zMAR34ySxOzQhH2NLn-NWJHJtFEBkj31_qCU8G-VGO3fM3FwwFMK3zl4mJPk2zQzIsOfjFxlDoLTWDe-4w-DHL2DFHT7UKoFDUE7_XRw-KSOtX4UUB46gOJsJO-_dSvGCyhHoLlQvup4WRRxEDma5cXGL69j_Wl78RmeBfqOVF67EH2Xyq42wTiHgl6ryGuvMM29L_PA-HUVbr3Z4kBD34SFPrj81-Lk_31qm3BqBMjnuo9cLoNqlugLkMUtn3syFpBM=w1204-h903-no

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is published by MoeNovel, the publisher behind the infamous English PC version, so it seems unlikely that this version is going to be any better.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I guessed they announced it too early and considering the other projects going on, I am not shocked it is being put on hold.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
That's not that weird given how much Ryukishi has going on right now, but it does feel a bit sudden when they just started doing more marketing pretty recently, IIRC? Huh.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who's familiar with it, how gory/scary is Raging Loop? I like thriller/suspense stuff, but I'm generally not a fan of straight up horror games.

ie. I like the DanganRonpa and Zero Escape games, but I wouldn't play something like Corpse Party. (For multiple reasons, but I digress.)

Thanks.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it's one of those?

I beat recently Kara no Shoujo and having to use a guide each 5 minutes to avoid triggering the wrong flags ended up souring the whole experience

People have played and enjoyed the game without one, it's just that I'm not the kind of person that enjoys trial and error in my visual novels.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
People play non-kinetic VNs without a guide? O_o

At first I play without a guide until I get an ending. Usually it's pretty obvious what is going on with the choices.
After that I look up a guide and see what other routes look interesting.
Every now and then though there's a game that has a million bad endings, you pretty quickly figure out that a guide is needed!

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
At first I play without a guide until I get an ending. Usually it's pretty obvious what is going on with the choices.
After that I look up a guide and see what other routes look interesting.
Every now and then though there's a game that has a million bad endings, you pretty quickly figure out that a guide is needed!

This is what I do, too. I'll play on my own, then when I get an ending, I'll use a guide.

Has anyone compiled a definitive list of English-language physical visual novel releases on PS4/Vita/Switch? I try to keep up, but sometimes I weave in and out of games based on whatever hobbies tickle my fancy at a particular time, and I'm always afraid I miss something. I wish there was an easier way to track it than just trolling Amazon and doing Google searches.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I like seeing bad ends first so usually I'll try to aim for that, haha. I'll use guides as needed for that, but I can mostly blunder my way to failure and then use the guides to be successful after. Though obviously I'll use them more for games where getting onto a route is less obvious, as I like following a route order. Whenever I play World End I expect I will try it on my own for a while and then resort to guides, as when this came up previously it seemed like guides probably skip some optional stuff and I expect I'll want to see some of that first.

But at this rate, the idea of playing that soon, with my backlog... it's ~2 weeks to Somnium Files (which is VN-ish enough that I will consider it the one I'm playing) and my hope of finally getting to play Ashen Hawk first has sorta vanished, since for various reasons it took me a good while to play through Eliza despite it being pretty short. That's with taking a break from Jake Hunter for some unknown amount of time as well. And I'm definitely playing several other games right now too, with others I just got access to or are coming out this week, so... I don't know if starting Ashen Hawk is wise or even possible when I'm already a bit overwhelmed, haha. And that means World End and others are super far away, as next month's flood of Ciconia + Raging Loop + NG will all take priority over my backlog. I yet again need to look into what I'll be playing these next few months and try to pace myself more reasonably before I just drop things without meaning to, hmm.

...actually on that note, I know it's not the kind of VN that's usually discussed in this thread, but Eliza's pretty fantastic! I unfortunately have issues with the ending(s) but everything up till then is solid. Definitely recommended if you're into the premise.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
This is what I do, too. I'll play on my own, then when I get an ending, I'll use a guide.

Has anyone compiled a definitive list of English-language physical visual novel releases on PS4/Vita/Switch? I try to keep up, but sometimes I weave in and out of games based on whatever hobbies tickle my fancy at a particular time, and I'm always afraid I miss something. I wish there was an easier way to track it than just trolling Amazon and doing Google searches.
Not sure if there is a list but filtering by platform and English language on VNDB might be helpful.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
People play non-kinetic VNs without a guide? O_o
I play all the traditional VNs (Steins;Gate, Clannad, Fate-like) with a guide. What I really want is to enjoy the story, the setting and the characters, I am not interested in finding the sequence of correct choices to get a specific ending.
Of course it is a different matter for non-traditional VNs, like Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, the upcoming AI: The Somnium Files , Danganronpa etc. because in these games there are a number of consistent gameplay mechanics.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there is a list but filtering by platform and English language on VNDB might be helpful.
VNDB probably does what you want.
For example, here is list of complete, English-language VNs released on PS4, Vita, and Switch, sorted from newest to oldest and only including stuff that has been released:

Just be aware that the list includes a lot of duplicates, since it covers every version of each VN (both the EU and NA version, for example).

This is awesome! Thank you!

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to grab a walkthrough the moment it becomes clear that I have to engage in trial-and-error to get onto routes or get specific endings, though I almost always do the first route blind. I find it to be utterly tedious to have to read/skip through the same text over and over again, so I much prefer VNs that have few but significant choices. Fluff choices would also be fine if the game actually made it clear that they were fluff choices, but most VNs just mix in fluff with significant choices, leaving you guessing unless you use a walkthrough or peek in the game files.

This is awesome! Thank you!
If you sign up for a VNDB account and rate the novels that you have already read, then you can also use VNStat to get automatic recommendations.
Here's an example profile (not mine):

However, I don't think that it allows filtering by platform, so you'll probably get suggestions that are unavailable on PS4/Vita/Switch.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Damn, it's one of those?

I beat recently Kara no Shoujo and having to use a guide each 5 minutes to avoid triggering the wrong flags ended up souring the whole experience
People have played and enjoyed the game without one, it's just that I'm not the kind of person that enjoys trial and error in my visual novels.

The game is perfectly playable without a guide, but the guide will speed things up drastically. It's basically Majora's Mask: The Visual Novel. You need to re-do the same time loop repeatedly to determine which character is where each day. The game keeps track of this for you and puts character icons on the locations the character is at provided you've seen them there in a previous loop. If you're determined you can abuse the save/load feature: Save, visit somewhere, and if it's not to your liking reload the save. The character locations are tied to the system data and not the save file so it'll remember the person you just saw and show them on the map immediately.

I tend to grab a walkthrough the moment it becomes clear that I have to engage in trial-and-error to get onto routes or get specific endings, though I almost always do the first route blind.
Yep, this is me. First route blind and then straight to the guide, unless there's sufficient hints dropped on the game over screen to work it out (428 and kind-of but not really Root Double)

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I usually try to go blind as much as I can, but with certain games (like Little Busters, for example) I prefer to do a small research to have at least a general idea of which is the optimal order of the routes.

It always suck when you accidentally get first the most plot-heavy route and then you have to deal with the rest being primarily character focused.

Or when you are heavily invested in a route but you are locked out of its ending until you have finished the others. Like, why did you even let me start it if you are going to blue ball me in the worst possible moment?

The game is perfectly playable without a guide, but the guide will speed things up drastically. It's basically Majora's Mask: The Visual Novel. You need to re-do the same time loop repeatedly to determine which character is where each day. The game keeps track of this for you and puts character icons on the locations the character is at provided you've seen them there in a previous loop. If you're determined you can abuse the save/load feature: Save, visit somewhere, and if it's not to your liking reload the save. The character locations are tied to the system data and not the save file so it'll remember the person you just saw and show them on the map immediately.

That's great, thanks, I think I can work with that.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That ironic VN thread on Gaming Side is a doozy

Seems folks still have their own preconceived notions of what VNs are

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
That ironic VN thread on Gaming Side is a doozy

Seems folks still have their own preconceived notions of what VNs are

You can say the same about anime, in general. "XYZ looks creepy so I stay away from anime/VNs". A shame that an entire medium/genre gets ignored because of the notion on what "most" contain.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I ignored that thread the second I spotted it, something tells me I was right.

Tbh this thread is the only thread I'll engage in discussions regarding visual novels at all (not that I've ever done so as I mostly tend to post stuff in a bot-like fashion)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say 20 years ago there was a case for what... the majority of VN content was focused on. Now? It's quite diverse and there's even a large OEL division of creations coming out (among other countries).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Even if all the questionable content in VNs is removed, the market for them is not going to expand greatly since most of them lack gameplay beyond making choices and puzzles. Even within Japan, most of these titles are not breaking sales records. I can only think of a few franchises (Hakuoki and Science Adventure off the top of my head) that have broken over 500,000 units sold and that is combing every single port and spinoff.