• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm definitely not an expert on fan-translations and mostly play on consoles/handhelds, so I hope someone else in this thread can chime in.

The first three Infinity series games (Never7, Ever17 and Remember11) got good English fan-translations. The fourth game in the series (12Riven) is the last one where Uchikoshi was involved. The fan-translation was never finished, but 12Riven is generally considered worse than the previous three games in the series so you're not missing out on too much. When you say PC VNs, the Eve series, Desire, Doukoku and similar games come to mind. I think some of them are available in English either officially or via fan-translation. Some of those games got remakes on Vita but I'm not sure what the state of Vita fan-translations is right now. I think a good place to check for fan translations are the fuwanovel forums.

From a collector's perspective, the language barrier of VNs has helped to keep prices down compared to other retro games. There's a few really expensive adventure games / VNs (e.g. Dead of the Brain on PC Engine), but in my experience retro VNs can sometimes be hard to find but mostly aren't super expensive. There's almost always one or two weird VNs on consoles that you typically wouldn't associate with the genre: Yakouchuu on GBA, Yakouchuu 2 on N64(!), Terrors 1 & 2 on Wonderswan, Higanbana GBA and PS2 (the follow-up to Otogirisou by the same author), etc. Not saying those games are good or long-lost classics, but they make for cool collectibles if you're a VN fan and on the hunt in Den Den Town. And most of the classics are available on multiple platforms and you can find them used for under $10 (Infinity series, Machi, Kamaitachi series, etc.)

One more tip: There's a lot of really good books about all kinds of video game subjects with information that is often hard or impossible to find on the internet, at least in English. Keep en eye out for them while you're there, even with the language barrier you might still find out about some interesting VNs. I can recommend this one about VNs/Adventure games from 1980-2000.
Some of the reviews wish it were longer since it felt like a greatest hits piece to them. I suppose that makes sense since it covers such a large amount of time.

I've been looking into books, and for ADV at least, it dries up past 2000. Suppose that makes sense since that was right before the genre's decline in popularity. Mainly searching for encyclopedias/bibles/catalogs.

Last edited:

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking into books, and for ADV at least least, it dries up past 2000. Suppose that makes sense since that was right before the genre's decline in popularity. Mainly searching for encyclopedias/bibles/catalogs.
You and me both. There's an upcoming book by the same publisher that covers RPGs, also from 1980 until 2000. RPGs are still quite popular, so the 2000 cutoff might just a way to sell follow-up books for those same genres that run from 2000-2020. And I'm sure we'll get more books like this in the future once enough people start to feel nostalgic for the 00s.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You and me both. There's an upcoming book by the same publisher that covers RPGs, also from 1980 until 2000. RPGs are still quite popular, so the 2000 cutoff might just a way to sell follow-up books for those same genres that run from 2000-2020. And I'm sure we'll get more books like this in the future once enough people start to feel nostalgic for the 00s.
True, I feel like ADVs are less of a sure thing because of how unhealthy that industry is right now alongside declining interest, but RPGs are a done deal.

I completely expect future catalogs covering this decade and the last in the future.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The first three Infinity series games (Never7, Ever17 and Remember11) got good English fan-translations.

v79xWqw.jpg

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
haha, point taken. Again, I'm the wrong person to ask about fan-translations.

You're right, I forgot that Ever17 got an official English release. I played the PSP versions of the first four Infinity games on Vita. First time seeing that screenshot, is the whole localization that bad? And the fan-translations of the other two are considered pretty good, right?

Oct 25, 2017
haha, point taken. Again, I'm the wrong person to ask about fan-translations.

You're right, I forgot that Ever17 got an official English release. I played the PSP versions of the first four Infinity games on Vita. First time seeing that screenshot, is the whole localization that bad? And the fan-translations of the other two are considered pretty good, right?
The fan translation of Remember11 is excellent, and there's a massive fan patch that is meant to clean up the Ever17 english translation called Himmel Edition. I haven't tried it out though, so I can't comment on its quality.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I don't know how I didn't hear about this until I looked at the monthly release calendar, but NEXTON and SoftHouse is teaming up for a game.

"巣作りカリンちゃん" is a dungeon SLG apparently? We have no footage of the game itself, although one trailer had some sprites scroll by.
I'm interested, but ¥16,280 after tax is a bit rich.

Still waiting for that collection of all 3 games in one (Shu, Wei, Wu) since Shu's was the final one which released in July. Maybe Fall 2020?

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm definitely not an expert on fan-translations and mostly play on consoles/handhelds, so I hope someone else in this thread can chime in.

The first three Infinity series games (Never7, Ever17 and Remember11) got good English fan-translations. The fourth game in the series (12Riven) is the last one where Uchikoshi was involved. The fan-translation was never finished, but 12Riven is generally considered worse than the previous three games in the series so you're not missing out on too much. When you say PC VNs, the Eve series, Desire, Doukoku and similar games come to mind. I think some of them are available in English either officially or via fan-translation. Some of those games got remakes on Vita but I'm not sure what the state of Vita fan-translations is right now. I think a good place to check for fan translations are the fuwanovel forums.

From a collector's perspective, the language barrier of VNs has helped to keep prices down compared to other retro games. There's a few really expensive adventure games / VNs (e.g. Dead of the Brain on PC Engine), but in my experience retro VNs can sometimes be hard to find but mostly aren't super expensive. There's almost always one or two weird VNs on consoles that you typically wouldn't associate with the genre: Yakouchuu on GBA, Yakouchuu 2 on N64(!), Terrors 1 & 2 on Wonderswan, Higanbana GBA and PS2 (the follow-up to Otogirisou by the same author), etc. Not saying those games are good or long-lost classics, but they make for cool collectibles if you're a VN fan and on the hunt in Den Den Town. And most of the classics are available on multiple platforms and you can find them used for under $10 (Infinity series, Machi, Kamaitachi series, etc.)

One more tip: There's a lot of really good books about all kinds of video game subjects with information that is often hard or impossible to find on the internet, at least in English. Keep en eye out for them while you're there, even with the language barrier you might still find out about some interesting VNs. I can recommend this one about VNs/Adventure games from 1980-2000.
Many thanks, Takoyaki! It took a while to read up about the titles you posted, as well as browse the Fuwanovel forums. Looks like I'm not about that fan translation life - jumping through an endless amount of technical hoops for possibly mediocre results isn't for me. A better plan may be to just score some VN physical games for collecting's sake, as you suggested; I'm going to try and score copies of Eve Burst Error and Higanbana. Cheers!

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I just started Yu-no on the switch and I'm digging the original soundtrack. pc-98 music and synths make me weak. What am I getting into with this game? I've heard a lot of crazy things about it.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
for those that have beaten yu-no

do the items only have 1 use in specific areas? i need a blue crystal for the kanna endingand i know where it is but will there be any other areas i need to use it?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
They announced it so long ago, but now going with a KS?

In other news, it looks like this most likely won't be making goal :x
Seems like a lot of extra costs appeared down the line, along with it not being worked on the entire time since its announcement.

In regards to Gratia, I have not seen the company behind the KS promoting it much.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
In regards to Gratia, I have not seen the company behind the KS promoting it much.

Yeah this is the real problem. I heard about it months back and saw "coming soon". Then I saw it linked somewhere like "oh it's up now!!" aaaaand that's it... I follow it, but I don't hear about it ANYWHERE now :/

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I backed it at the $35 tier, I really wish that they could have pulled it off, but it feels like $57,000 might have been too much to hope for.

Yeah for something lower-profile like this, it seems a bit much. It's a shame... I'll back it near to the end, if there is hope that it will make it. Already backed Rewrite+ for the physical junk. That one's been moving at a fast-pace so no doubt it'll make it... I have time to wait for Sekai to provide.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Latest Sharin no Kuni KS Update:
Project Progress Update #17: Apology for the Delays in Game Development / Regarding Future Updates

(* 日本語バージョンはページ下部にございます)

Greetings everyone,

Some of the information in this update has been already shared with you in a public comment we posted a few days ago, but we will do so again today so that it reaches all backers.

■ About the current status of the PC version of the game

In the previous update, we told you the scripting of the game had finished and that we were in the final stages of debugging. To be more precise, the debug process was divided into two main tasks:

1. Debug of the game engine first to check it runs properly in many environments.
  2. Debug of the game itself by scripters and play testers so that they can find any possible problems inside the actual game.
At the time of our previous update, we were in the middle of the first task, performing any fixes needed for issues as we encountered them in order to advance to the second stage.

We had planned to share our next update when the second part of debugging started, as we wanted to include in it screenshots and videos of the actual game as it was being tested. However, we kept finding unexpected issues in the first debugging stage that prevented us from moving to the next one, and as such, this update was postponed multiple times as well.

This led us to a long silence in which we couldn't say anything, causing unnecessary stress to our backers, and for this we apologize.

Even though currently we still haven't been able to fix all the issues found during the first debugging phase, this doesn't mean development has been halted. We are working as hard as possible to fix all issues and keep up progressing on the development of the game, please rest assured.

This information pertains to the PC version of the game. About the Vita version, as we shared in previous updates, we are currently in the latest stages of finishing our agreement with Eastasiasoft Limited, and we will inform you about the Vita version in future updates.

■ Future scheduled periodic updates

Due to our lack of prevision about the potential issues that could arise during development, we kept delaying this update for a long time, worrying our backers. Members of the project team have reflected on this and agreed to create a scheduled periodic update.

The method we have chosen to share these updates with you is adding the Sharin no Kuni project to the list of crowdfunding projects managed by Frontwing, and thus, adding it as well to their "Frontwing Monthly Schedule Update" that takes place every end of the month.

By doing this, we believe we will be able to inform you in a periodic, monthly manner, about small progress updates that do not qualify for an update of their own.

Of course, if there is any significant development in this project, we will post a separate update as usual.

This is everything we can share with you at this moment, and again, please let us apologize for our long silence.

Even though our project team is moving way slower than we would like, we will not abandon the project, and our will to keep moving forward no matter what happens has not changed. We would be delighted if you would stay with us for a little while more.

Re:Sharin no Kuni Project Team

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
My brother who lives in Japan asked me for birthday present suggestions. Are there any VN out in Japan besides clannad that have English language support?

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I just started Yu-no on the switch and I'm digging the original soundtrack. pc-98 music and synths make me weak. What am I getting into with this game? I've heard a lot of crazy things about it.
Never heard this game and it has intrigued me. Thanks for that!

Currently playing/reading Eden*. Enjoying the story so far although I am not emotionally connected to the characters as of yet but only about 4-5 hours into it. Isn't this game pretty short?

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
My brother who lives in Japan asked me for birthday present suggestions. Are there any VN out in Japan besides clannad that have English language support?

Fatal 12 on PS4
Nightshade on Switch
Ace Attorney on PS4/Switch

Also (assuming we're talking about physical editions only available there):

My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? (Switch)
Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz (Switch - though that might be true for the asian edition)
Toky Chronos (PS VR)

And the Grisaia games are coming up in early November for Switch.

Jul 16, 2018
Sweden
Anyone here who've played both Raging Loop and Death Mark? I want to buy a horror VN this month but can only buy one, and I'm a bit unsure which to go with. Howlongtobeat didn't have any info on Raging Loop, but Death Mark is pretty shortish for a VN (about 10 hours), which isn't a bad thing but I might want something a bit longer... Anyone know the average time it takes to beat Raging Loop?

I assume Raging Loop is longer, since I saw that it has branching paths and whatnot. From what I've looked up it seems like Raging Loop might have a more interesting story, but the atmosphere and art of Death Mark seems more appealing to me... Decisions.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here who've played both Raging Loop and Death Mark? I want to buy a horror VN this month but can only buy one, and I'm a bit unsure which to go with. Howlongtobeat didn't have any info on Raging Loop, but Death Mark is pretty shortish for a VN (about 10 hours), which isn't a bad thing but I might want something a bit longer... Anyone know the average time it takes to beat Raging Loop?

I assume Raging Loop is longer, since I saw that it has branching paths and whatnot. From what I've looked up it seems like Raging Loop might have a more interesting story, but the atmosphere and art of Death Mark seems more appealing to me... Decisions.
NG is longer than 10 hours if you're not a speed reader with a guide. Around 20 hours on average, longer if you're going for all three endings and the sidequests.

I haven't finished Raging Loop yet, but the game is definitely longer than NG. 30-50h according to VNDB. And the game has a very intriguing NG+ mode.

The question about the art is subjective, I personally prefer the presentation of NG and think it might be a better fit if you're looking for a scary Halloween game.

Raging Loop might have the better story and feels more inventive compared to NG. If you've played Death Mark, you know what you'll get with NG. The only other game I can think of that does something similar to Raging Loop is the Japan-only Gnosia.

Jul 16, 2018
Sweden
NG is longer than 10 hours if you're not a speed reader with a guide. Around 20 hours on average, longer if you're going for all three endings and the sidequests.

I haven't finished Raging Loop yet, but the game is definitely longer than NG. 30-50h according to VNDB. And the game has a very intriguing NG+ mode.

The question about the art is subjective, I personally prefer the presentation of NG and think it might be a better fit if you're looking for a scary Halloween game.

Raging Loop might have the better story and feels more inventive compared to NG. If you've played Death Mark, you know what you'll get with NG. The only other game I can think of that does something similar to Raging Loop is the Japan-only Gnosia.

Ohh, that length seems good to me. I mentioned getting Death Mark and not NG though, but I looked it up on VNDB and the length is about the same, 10-30 hours. x)

And yeah that's my impression too, that Death Mark will make for a nice Halloween game. I've been interested in it for years ever since I first saw the Japanese cover art. I'll get Raging Loop eventually though, it seems intriguing to me.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh, that length seems good to me. I mentioned getting Death Mark and not NG though, but I looked it up on VNDB and the length is about the same, 10-30 hours. x)

And yeah that's my impression too, that Death Mark will make for a nice Halloween game. I've been interested in it for years ever since I first saw the Japanese cover art. I'll get Raging Loop eventually though, it seems intriguing to me.
Sorry about that, I somehow read NG instead of DM. Death Mark is great as well, similar in length to NG; maybe slightly longer with the final DLC chapter.

Edit: DM should also be cheaper to get, it was off 50% on Steam recently. And read up on the "fanservice" stuff in DM if that is an issue for you.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The fanservice stuff (a lot of the horror CGa have arbitrary naked women) really drags the game down, because it makes it harder to feel afraid of what it's showing you. Like even if you generally like fan service, I can't see that being a time you'd actually want it there interrupting the horror, lol. But even as someone who disliked that part, DM is still neat enough that I'd recommend it and I'm looking forward to starting NG (...which I should have done already).

...on that note, does anyone know of a guide for NG? I used one at times for DM, especially for getting both chapter endings, but that person doesn't seem to have made an NG one...

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I didn't hear about this until I looked at the monthly release calendar, but NEXTON and SoftHouse is teaming up for a game.

"巣作りカリンちゃん" is a dungeon SLG apparently? We have no footage of the game itself, although one trailer had some sprites scroll by.
I'm interested, but ¥16,280 after tax is a bit rich.

Still waiting for that collection of all 3 games in one (Shu, Wei, Wu) since Shu's was the final one which released in July. Maybe Fall 2020?

That game is getting a nice marketing push here. Quite a big banner in Akiba sofmap.

Another game getting good exposure is Kara no Shoujo HD. It is expensive for a remaster, so I am not sure many people will get it though.

Personally interest in Hoshi Sora no Memoria HD remaster. But not sure will get it on day 1. I have too many games on my plate and I only play games in weekend now, due to other things occupying my mind and time in weekdays.

Edit: completely forgot the new Yuzusoft title. It is EVERYWHERE in Akiba. The marketing budget is insane and you know it will surely be the best selling titles this year. I am still burnt out by the weak story of Riddle Joker so I will probably not picking this up soon.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018
Sweden
Sorry about that, I somehow read NG instead of DM. Death Mark is great as well, similar in length to NG; maybe slightly longer with the final DLC chapter.

Edit: DM should also be cheaper to get, it was off 50% on Steam recently. And read up on the "fanservice" stuff in DM if that is an issue for you.

Actually, Raging Loop is cheaper for me, if I get it from The Game Collection - 31EUR compared to DM being 45.66 EUR on base.com... still cheaper than if I were to get it from Swedish sites, where it costs a whopping 56 EUR. So part of me would want to get Raging Loop because it seems like better value for the money, but I'm more in the mood for DM right now. I could wait till Steam's Halloween sale and get it then but I really prefer my VNs handheld whenever possible. Nothing beats playing scary games in bed with a cup of tea. x) I really should boot up my laptop after months of not using it so I can play some other VNs on it, though.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about the fanservice back when the game first released... I don't care for ham-fisted fanservice, but I think I can ignore it as long as it's not super frequent.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with YU-NO. This...is a VN from the mid 90's all right. A rebellious teen high schooler (aged 18 of course!) who is unbelievably attractive to a bunch of younger, same aged, and older women who are all unbelievably attractive and have never been complimented on their astounding beauty before. A guy called clever when he does the most basic of deductions, selfless when acting normally, kind sometimes when acting a bit like a dick. He's not all bad besides being a mega 90's perv and you're also apart of many brave/selfless/actual acts of kindness/some moments of great deduction, but the various women of the game fawn over you a bit too much. Besides that it is also an absolutely wonderful and influential game in the world of VNs with its branching paths and just how your various actions across different parallel worlds intersect. Good moments of drama and suspense, a great old timey soundtrack and a long, long ass game with some fun mechanics to keep you going along. Without the hints on you could spend a hundred hours getting on the right path, I turned them on eventually just to fill out a couple of pieces I was missing. This might be the longest VN I've ever played. Also definitely the horniest game of tag ever. Maybe a record number of physically bumping into people, you sometimes do it BACK TO BACK TO BACK on the same screen. Watch where you are going Takuya!

The eight bit game that comes along with the Switch version is also fun, though playing it first will just confuse you/give away a huge twist.

I recommend people give it a shot.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017