• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really unfortunate since Dei Gratia is excellent game, but the kickstarter was doomed to fail. I do hope the game catches attention of other translators in the future.

Oct 28, 2017

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
reminder that the switch version of the grisaia trilogy releases next week! the japanese version has full english support and amazon jp ships internationally! it also features all the grisaia side stories like afterglow and melody!

I wanted to get it but currently I have too many games to play (AI, Luigi Mansion, Pokémon). Do you think that it will be still available in the future, or is it better to get it and put it in the backlog (a thing I hate, I never have more than one game in the backlog, and when I have it I often play that game in parallel with the "main" one).

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Bought photonflowers dunno when I'll start it but I usually get 1 VN per sale at least, so why not I thought

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Have been busy lately so I only play games during weekend, and Tales of Vesperia has occupied all of my gaming time now. However, as Surugaya is doing a tax free sale in this weekend, I just bought Kimi to Mezameru Ikutsuka no Houhou yesterday. Published by Navel, it is written by the same writer behind Naniro Reincarnation, 9-nine- series and several other story-driven titles. Don't know when I will start playing it, but look forward to seeing where the praise comes from regarding this writer.
aM9732c.jpg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You know, based on a lot of the conflicting reviews of Death Stranding, I wonder how far you can push the "walking-sim" sub-genre into "visual novel"? Maybe it would be more appropriate to be a "movie-experience" instead?

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
You know, based on a lot of the conflicting reviews of Death Stranding, I wonder how far you can push the "walking-sim" sub-genre into "visual novel"? Maybe it would be more appropriate to be a "movie-experience" instead?

Story mode? As much as I like VN I do miss some kind of gameplay since I want to make my own terrible choices.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
A systems heavy game with direct character control like Death Stranding is like the complete opposite of a visual novel.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Personally, what makes me like visual novels over other text-based games are usually how much it goes into description and characterization. It's personal opinion of mine, but quality of the plot & writing usually seems to be reversely proportional to amount of choices you are given, even in visual novels. When there's lots of choices, like most CYOA games or something like Death Mark / investigative games that have tons of them, focus of the game usually falls into surviving or resolving whatever immediate problem you face and most branches serve little purpose other than to be dead end.

I guess it depends on whether one places more emphasis on story or gameplay. Dev have limited resources to allocate to both, and in the case of kinetic novels (or similar cases where "choices" only serve as major route branch point) where the latter is sacrificed, I know the game intends to wow me with its story or character because it's the only thing available to attract consumers.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Some devs have used "first person experience" and such over "walking simulator" for that kind of adventure game, considering the more popular term was originally an insult (and is still used as such).

Generally speaking, a lot of "walking simulators" tend to border/on overlap with being interactive fiction, I'd say. And I would consider most VNs a form of IF too. So if anything, that's where the connection happens, rather than some direct walking simulator -> VN jump.

meanwhile, Death Stranding only appears to be a "walking simulator" in the literal sense of simulating walking

lightning16

May 17, 2019
So I'm a good ways into Muv-Luv Alternative and... I really don't know how I feel about this. I sorta feel like it'd be better if it didn't dial the shock factor up to 11 as often as it does.

So stuff like the infamous "chomp" scene and the infamous backstory of Sumika in the Alternative timeline are just so damn ridiculous and I can't help but think it doesn't actually align with the story's tone appropriately. Both of Marimo's deaths in MLA give schlocky B movie horror vibes that I wasn't getting beforehand. Like the first one was bad enough, but then you hear the news report of the fuckin meat grinder murder and it's just so ridiculous. And I realize I'm using the word ridiculous an awful lot but it just seems to fit. Then right afterward you have Sumika's accident. Story felt like it was suddenly teleported somewhere between Starship Troopers and Final Destination for a few hours. I think the story rebounds reasonably well after this point, but idk. I think the overall story beats of these moments are generally fine, it just felt hammed up a bit much.

I think overall I'm a little let down so far, but I'm still looking forward to how this story wraps up. I wouldn't say I dislike MLA, I just genuinely don't know how I feel about it yet and I probably won't until I finish it. It's certainly a wild ride. Just not sure that's always a good thing.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Personally, what makes me like visual novels over other text-based games are usually how much it goes into description and characterization. It's personal opinion of mine, but quality of the plot & writing usually seems to be reversely proportional to amount of choices you are given, even in visual novels. When there's lots of choices, like most CYOA games or something like Death Mark / investigative games that have tons of them, focus of the game usually falls into surviving or resolving whatever immediate problem you face and most branches serve little purpose other than to be dead end.

I guess it depends on whether one places more emphasis on story or gameplay. Dev have limited resources to allocate to both, and in the case of kinetic novels (or similar cases where "choices" only serve as major route branch point) where the latter is sacrificed, I know the game intends to wow me with its story or character because it's the only thing available to attract consumers.

I tend to almost universally like VN's with a larger amount of player choice and interactions more. There's a reason Sakura Wars 5 is one of my favorite despite only have a story that's somewhere above decent.

However I don't think anything that has you directly controlling the player anytime that isn't a cutscene really crosses the border into visual novel territory. Heck most "walking simulators" I can think are further from VN's than RPG's because they don't have any focus on character interaction and tell a story through the environment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I am still debating if I should get Grisaia Trilogy even though it launches today. On one hand, the price is a steal as it includes every story of the series other than the idol spinoffs, on the other hand, it does not have erotic scenes which make it feel "incomplete" to me when I can buy the 18+ version of the three games separately instead. Btw, the PC complete version is out of the question as it costs as much as a switch even in used condition.

I am inclined to get the switch version for its value, but meanwhile I am in no rush for more videogames so going to wait for used copies appearing in local stores.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am still debating if I should get Grisaia Trilogy even though it launches today. On one hand, the price is a steal as it includes every story of the series other than the idol spinoffs, on the other hand, it does not have erotic scenes which make it feel "incomplete" to me when I can buy the 18+ version of the three games separately instead. Btw, the PC complete version is out of the question as it costs as much as a switch even in used condition.

I am inclined to get the switch version for its value, but meanwhile I am in no rush for more videogames so going to wait for used copies appearing in local stores.
I am also still debating... I don't mind about not having +18 scenes, for me it is even better, but the price is quite high, it would be around 70€ including the deposit fee, and I will get Pokemon, so I would not play it for at least some months. However, I don't know if in the future the price will be smaller on Amazon.co.jp

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Kawase's route is rather well done, I don't know how far you are into it so I won't spoil, but his character ended up surprising me in pleasant ways. Be sure to post your thoughts if you finish it.

Overall thoughts would be that the switch/vita versions are probably better since they cut out the awk R18 parts and added side stories. Mostly I got tired of the repeating convos so I stopped after 2 routes. I have to admire the dedication for one person who did the entire solo VN project but at the same time 🤔 on tons of scenes. I did like all the art and CGs also A+ for Tamamori's VA who did a killer job on expressing his personality.

I ended up liking Kawase > Minakami since their banter was funny orz

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Spent some time tonight watching spikevegeta play 999 (first time I've actually seen any of the ports in action) and man, it's been too long since I've lived vicariously through someone playing it for the first time.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Overall thoughts would be that the switch/vita versions are probably better since they cut out the awk R18 parts and added side stories. Mostly I got tired of the repeating convos so I stopped after 2 routes. I have to admire the dedication for one person who did the entire solo VN project but at the same time 🤔 on tons of scenes. I did like all the art and CGs also A+ for Tamamori's VA who did a killer job on expressing his personality.

I ended up liking Kawase > Minakami since their banter was funny orz
The next routes don't have much repetitions, but they are also not very good in comparison, third route in particular is pretty much unreadable. Route 4 is OK though.

I expected Kawase to be the typical bad BL Seme character given his behaviors, instead his relationship with Tamamori ended up being completely consensual and his behaviors are a direct result of his background and the things that were done to him, rather than the writer following a stereotype.

Overall I enjoyed I enjoyed him, but I feel like his route simply doesn't have the same pull as pull as Minakami because it doesn't have as many storiy ties and he's essentially "just one dude who loves Tamamori", rather than the whole reason Tamamori does everything like Minakami.

I think the Vita version actually kept the R18 parts but they don't have CG or something? Makes sense since they tons of characterization in it. Can't imagine Minakami's ending without it tbh lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I am also still debating... I don't mind about not having +18 scenes, for me it is even better, but the price is quite high, it would be around 70€ including the deposit fee, and I will get Pokemon, so I would not play it for at least some months. However, I don't know if in the future the price will be smaller on Amazon.co.jp
I was starting a copy of the game for 5 mins just now in a local store. Well, I did not get it. Price is all right (around 6500 yen) but as I said, too many games now, no rush to get another 100-hour one.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
The next routes don't have much repetitions, but they are also not very good in comparison, third route in particular is pretty much unreadable. Route 4 is OK though.

I expected Kawase to be the typical bad BL Seme character given his behaviors, instead his relationship with Tamamori ended up being completely consensual and his behaviors are a direct result of his background and the things that were done to him, rather than the writer following a stereotype.

Overall I enjoyed I enjoyed him, but I feel like his route simply doesn't have the same pull as pull as Minakami because it doesn't have as many storiy ties and he's essentially "just one dude who loves Tamamori", rather than the whole reason Tamamori does everything like Minakami.

I actually thought the Professor was a cute LI but yeah I have no idea why they locked it behind the 3rd LI. I mean, the final route would've made me hate the MC which meant all the time in the earlier routes would've been wasted. The VN would've worked fine as a What-if plot instead of w/e the actual note how the gamed ended.

Yeah, glad the scenes were consensual since I was worried too that Kawase would be borderline yandere which would be a Bad Time. Agreed how there's less of a story connection b/t the 2 compared to Minakami so I'm like when did they fall in love? Lol, at the end card how they sleep together and Tamamori gets tired of it.

Lol, I had no idea w/the vita game since I figured it'd be cropping the original CGs but so it goes.

The original dev site has some drama CD (?) which I kinda wish would be localized if they added extra stories.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I actually thought the Professor was a cute LI but yeah I have no idea why they locked it behind the 3rd LI. I mean, the final route would've made me hate the MC which meant all the time in the earlier routes would've been wasted. The VN would've worked fine as a What-if plot instead of w/e the actual note how the gamed ended.

Yeah, glad the scenes were consensual since I was worried too that Kawase would be borderline yandere which would be a Bad Time. Agreed how there's less of a story connection b/t the 2 compared to Minakami so I'm like when did they fall in love? Lol, at the end card how they sleep together and Tamamori gets tired of it.

Lol, I had no idea w/the vita game since I figured it'd be cropping the original CGs but so it goes.

The original dev site has some drama CD (?) which I kinda wish would be localized if they added extra stories.

The devs wanted each route to feel like a different genre, but I don't think it worked at all. The fact the "main route" is also the "common route" and the "true route" and the first route you are forced to play means every route is significantly weaker - Kawase's route is meant to be a mystery but I don't think it's particularly more mysterious than Minakami's route. It is a fine "what if" that clears up plot points and explore the main characters motivations though.

Like what would have happened if the Tamamori decided to not face himself and his feelings for Minakami and it was interesting to see the shopkeeper give up on his younger self.

I enjoyed the relationship between Tamamori and Kawase, but I don't think it's meant to be a romance in the traditional sense, they have feelings for each other but they can't quite define their relationship, especially because their personalities are incredibly difficult and Kawase is literally aware of everything Tamamori's feels and felt. Honestly I didn't mind much, Tamamori is supposed to be in love with Minakami in all four routes so it would be weird if they were all epic romances and he was 100% into every relationship he jumps into.

But to be honest, Hashihime really didn't need routes much.

About the final route...

It's meant to be an AU and that Tamamori is basically a completely different person and basically insane. Yeah, it's stupid shit, but I ignore it. I basically treat it as I treat those fandisk scenarios were eroge protagonists bang half of the cast.

It's an ugly note to end the novel for sure, though less so if one is aware of the actual novel structure from the start.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
The devs wanted each route to feel like a different genre, but I don't think it worked at all. The fact the "main route" is also the "common route" and the "true route" and the first route you are forced to play means every route is significantly weaker - Kawase's route is meant to be a mystery but I don't think it's particularly more mysterious than Minakami's route. It is a fine "what if" that clears up plot points and explore the main characters motivations though.

Yeah I feel like a huge aspect of the mystery part was revealed in the first 30 min of Kawase's route and the rest was a slow-motion horror story lol. Like my headcanon for each VN route is that MC is living in a alt reality so I would've been OK if the devs created a story revolving around on the new couple.

Do you think you'll play their future game? I noticed on their twitter they announced a new title in the works.

Like for BL games the next huge game would be from N+C Slow Damage but who knows when that will be out.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I feel like a huge aspect of the mystery part was revealed in the first 30 min of Kawase's route and the rest was a slow-motion horror story lol. Like my headcanon for each VN route is that MC is living in a alt reality so I would've been OK if the devs created a story revolving around on the new couple.

Do you think you'll play their future game? I noticed on their twitter they announced a new title in the works.

Like for BL games the next huge game would be from N+C Slow Damage but who knows when that will be out.
The very little japanese I know is not good enough to read anything like a VN yet, so I don't see myself reading for them soon lol And I don't think Hashihime was successful enough for MG to justify translating more stuff from them, then again they same to take a lot of passion projects.

I tried some N+C stuff but overall I couldn't enjoy them, they either felt too tropey or boring. Hashihime is probably the first BL VN I truly enjoyed even with terribad last route, the first route was everything I wanted and more. Didn't even feel like I was reading BL because everything happened pretty naturally and the game really did a good job with the mystery, cast and the protagonist's development.

Last edited:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
The very little japanese I know is not good enough to read anything like a VN yet, so I don't see myself reading for them soon lol And I don't think Hashihime was successful enough for MG to justify translating more stuff from them, then again they same to take a lot of passion projects.

I tried some N+C stuff but overall I couldn't enjoy them, they either felt too tropey or boring. Hashihime is probably the first BL VN I truly enjoyed even with terribad last route, the first route was everything I wanted and more. Didn't even feel like I was reading BL because everything happened pretty naturally and the game really did a good job with the mystery, cast and the protagonist's development.

I like to live in eternal hope MG will localize future works by the same dev regardless of sales.

I feel ya since the huge draw for N+C would be the art and VA as the storylines are pretty rocky. Another moment where I'm sad that there's so few BL devs other than indies.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I was starting a copy of the game for 5 mins just now in a local store. Well, I did not get it. Price is all right (around 6500 yen) but as I said, too many games now, no rush to get another 100-hour one.
It seems also that it is in stock on amazon.co,jp, so I suppose that I will be able to get it from that in the future without problems. At the moment, between stuff to do for work and Pokémon incoming, I could not play it. Maybe it will even get discounted, who knows.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Are there any good VNs for Android? Either through Google Play or other means? I've just installed Steins Gate along with the English patch and I was trying to see if there was anything else.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any good VNs for Android? Either through Google Play or other means? I've just installed Steins Gate along with the English patch and I was trying to see if there was anything else.
If all else fails, you can always use Steam Remote Play to stream your PC stuff.
Latency shouldn't be an issue with VNs, so unless you hit data caps you should be okay.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

It varies since most of the VN market is around portables but mobage VN exists in a strange place. Same, I recc'd streaming PC to android using Moonlight for the greatest selection and it works mostly OK except times when the audio slows down for no reason.

If you like otome there's Hakuouki and Amnesia: Memories in the play store. They're just normal VN w/o tickets or anything dumb.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading Steins;Gate and I'm liking Okabe more now
he have a urgency to act and drop his chuunibyou act.
The story is heading to unexpected places wow.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm reading Steins;Gate and I'm liking Okabe more now
he have a urgency to act and drop his chuunibyou act.
The story is heading to unexpected places wow.
When I started Steins;Gate, I wasn't liking Okabe at all. Then, I really appreciated him as a main character, after finding out
the reasons of his chuunibyou act

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Finished a couple routes of Aokana. I love the game mostly but I have to say that the 18+ scenes are bad. I'm usually fine with sex scenes in romance games but these ones are really badly written, the style completely changes and the tone clashes hard with the rest of the game. They also go on forever and totally kill the pacing. I definitely recommend playing without them for a great sports drama with some romance.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Question for people who played Muv Luv Alternative.
I reached chapter 7 and I'm 12 hours in. Yet I readed somewhere the game is like 50 hours long and has 10 chapters. Is something... Off ?

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When I started Steins;Gate, I wasn't liking Okabe at all. Then, I really appreciated him as a main character, after finding out
undefined

Yeah, it's a drastic change but I appreciate more that scenes now. Now I'm reading chapter 7,
Faris got more scenes now. Jeez, there's nothing more dangerous than chunni thugs.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
How long did it take you to finish it?, I heard it was pretty long so I haven't started it up just yet.
My playtime says 34 hours.

I liked it, but I felt the resolution was weak, despite how many hours the game use to set-up the last route.

Didn't think much of the extra stuff, to be honest.
I definitely think the end is a little rushed, and I think Revelation Mode could be implemented more organically, but overall I really enjoyed it. That being said, the story hints at a lot more than we get to see even in Revelation Mode, which made me wonder at times if this was the second game in a series or something.

Mitsuji and her entire.... Thing. I like her a lot, but I really felt like there was backstory missing there. Meiko I assume was just one of the trafficked humans who escaped, but after Revelation Mode it felt like there was setup and references to a game I haven't played!