• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
My playtime says 34 hours.

I definitely think the end is a little rushed, and I think Revelation Mode could be implemented more organically, but overall I really enjoyed it. That being said, the story hints at a lot more than we get to see even in Revelation Mode, which made me wonder at times if this was the second game in a series or something.

Mitsuji and her entire.... Thing. I like her a lot, but I really felt like there was backstory missing there. Meiko I assume was just one of the trafficked humans who escaped, but after Revelation Mode it felt like there was setup and references to a game I haven't played!

More than rushed...
I feel like a lot of answers were lame, like the game wanted to be a supernatural mystery but then wanted to go "It was humans all along", so you have stuff like "dogs with rabies" and "eletronic locked doors". Also Rikuko is basically forgiven of everything because "It was all a dream anyway". Yeah OK, but she raped people and Cheimi and the Hassan still remember being endlessly tortured.

Meiko and Mitsuji were ??? LIke someone accidentally dropped the plot of another story into a rather self-contained one.

It's a good game, but some stuff could have been handled better.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Meiko I assume was just one of the trafficked humans who escaped, but after Revelation Mode it felt like there was setup and references to a game I haven't played!
You're right.
An older Meiko (named Miya) shows up in D.M.L.C -Death Match Love Comedy-, the previous game by amphibian. It's Japan-only and I haven't played it, but DMLC is supposed to be quite good as well and Kemco is working on a remake for 2020. The original 2013 game only came out on WiiU and smartphones, so the remake might have a better shot at getting localized.

Miya/Meiko is the character on the bottom left:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
You're right.
An older Meiko (named Miya) shows up in D.M.L.C -Death Match Love Comedy-, the previous game by amphibian. It's Japan-only and I haven't played it, but DMLC is supposed to be quite good as well and Kemco is working on a remake for 2020. The original 2013 game only came out on WiiU and smartphones, so the remake might have a better shot at getting localized.

Miya/Meiko is the character on the bottom left:

I should pick that up! I had no idea it was a thing. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I know there is another VN by this team called.... Dearest Disaster? Seemed interesting.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I should pick that up! I had no idea it was a thing. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I know there is another VN by this team called.... Dearest Disaster? Seemed interesting.
There's three other Kemco / amphibian VNs:

Saiaku Naru Saiyaku Ningen ni Sasagu / My Dearest Direst Disaster

Togabito no Senritsu

Nibiiro no Butterfly

No idea if any of them are connected to Raging Loop.

And then there's the upcoming follow-up to Raging Loop (RD), Shuumatsu Senki 0.1 and the DLMC remake. So quite a lot of VNs to check out if Raging Loop got you curious about amphibian and Kemco VNs. I'm definitely looking forward to those upcoming games.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
There's three other Kemco / amphibian VNs:

Saiaku Naru Saiyaku Ningen ni Sasagu / My Dearest Direst Disaster

Togabito no Senritsu

Nibiiro no Butterfly

No idea if any of them are connected to Raging Loop.

And then there's the upcoming follow-up to Raging Loop (RD), Shuumatsu Senki 0.1 and the DLMC remake. So quite a lot of VNs to check out if Raging Loop got you curious about amphibian and Kemco VNs. I'm definitely looking forward to those upcoming games.
I'll have to pick some of them up. I know Amphibian also wrote a series of published novels surrounding Raging Loop so I might have to grab them as well. I'm a little hesitant since the Japanese for Raging Loop is pretty tough at times, but I can work through it. It's that sort of thing that challenges my fluency, haha.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
It's been like a year and a half? since I started Higurashi and I finallly finished the first four arcs.

I've never been so mixed on a visual novel in my life, there's so much to like but SO much to dislike. I am dropping it, though.

EDIT: As much as I disliked the overall visual novel experience I love discussing it and did really enjoy the anime so I guess Ryu does something right lol

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
It's been like a year and a half? since I started Higurashi and I finallly finished the first four arcs.

I've never been so mixed on a visual novel in my life, there's so much to like but SO much to dislike. I am dropping it, though.

EDIT: As much as I disliked the overall visual novel experience I love discussing it and did really enjoy the anime so I guess he does something right lol
I've also been going through the Higurashi VNs, and am somewhat torn on the time commitment of reading them versus just recommending someone watch the anime. I could've done without the inevitable multi-hour ramp of those characters goofing around and playing games in every single arc, but I also think the first season of the anime moves a little too quickly to really let that sense of dread and paranoia sink in. (it also looks like shit, but that's its own discussion). I guess the good news is, when I inevitably get to Umineko, I won't have a choice because the anime for that has an almost Tsukihime-level reputation among fans of the VN.

What were your big hang-ups?

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I've also been going through the Higurashi VNs, and am somewhat torn on the time commitment of reading them versus just recommending someone watch the anime. I could've done without the inevitable multi-hour ramp of those characters goofing around and playing games in every single arc, but I also think the first season of the anime moves a little too quickly to really let that sense of dread and paranoia sink in. (it also looks like shit, but that's its own discussion). I guess the good news is, when I inevitably get to Umineko, I won't have a choice because the anime for that has an almost Tsukihime-level reputation among fans of the VN.

What were your big hang-ups?
You pretty much got it in your post, there's just too many scenes that drag the good parts and it became exhausting to get through every single arc. And it frustrates me because I genuinely loved the anime back then and people were always telling me the visual novel was just so much better, and the characters were so much richer, and on and on...and I straight up don't see what's the big deal. Aside from a couple of scenes that just are not worth the time investment.

The anime was rushed but it focuses on what to me were the best parts, and executed them greatly, the novel is trying to be this slice of life comedy for a majority of every arc that I just find terribly unfunny, sorry for using this word, but cringe tiers levels of unfunny. It goes on and on to deliver these terrible punchlines. Plus the constant pedo jokes? I am used to these already, and I can take them when they are not shoved in my face every second, but they are in Higurashi. Doctor Irie is easily the worst character ever written by Ryu, like holy fuck someone arrest this man now.

I think Arc 3 was overall better executed in the Visual Novel and Satoko's character is also better developed here, plus there are good scenes sprinkled here and then. But these couple of scenes don't justify the time investment of reading all of it, at least for me. Just found it a big waste of time, even though I love the overall story and characters, the novel makes it really hard to enjoy them. Also, as someone who finds the soundtrack essential for any work, the downgrade from the anime to the visual novel is palpable.

And, I disagree about the animation from Higurashi being bad, it complimented perfectly the short (thank god) slice to life scenes and made them charming, and also added to the chaotic element in the second half, at least to me, but I know it's a controversial opinion.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

EDIT: As much as I disliked the overall visual novel experience I love discussing it and did really enjoy the anime so I guess Ryu does something right lol
Honestly, if you made it to the fourth arc, you may as well try Meakashi, which is one of the best things R07 has written.

Last edited:

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
So I imported The Grisaia Trilogy last week and learned that you can't even select anything apart the first game (Fruit of Grisaia) in the beginning - suprising, but not a problem since going through in the correct order was my intention anyway.

So after about half a dozen hours, I'm enjoying the game so far. but can someone who is familiar with it give me a clue when things, well... will start to happen? Until now I've have lots of lots of interations of Yuuji with the girls in his school, but nothing that seems to move any story along. And I actually have no clue at all what kind of story this might invole into as I'm going in pretty much blind.

This is giving me a bit of a Muv-Luv (which I liked, all three episodes including the first) feeling in that regard.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
So I imported The Grisaia Trilogy last week and learned that you can't even select anything apart the first game (Fruit of Grisaia) in the beginning - suprising, but not a problem since going through in the correct order was my intention anyway.

So after about half a dozen hours, I'm enjoying the game so far. but can someone who is familiar with it give me a clue when things, well... will start to happen? Until now I've have lots of lots of interations of Yuuji with the girls in his school, but nothing that seems to move any story along. And I actually have no clue at all what kind of story this might invole into as I'm going in pretty much blind.

This is giving me a bit of a Muv-Luv (which I liked, all three episodes including the first) feeling in that regard.

It does that school life thing for quite a while, getting to know the girls. Then there is a sort of ladder structure where you get to choose to enter or not each girls story, it's quite obvious when it happens. The girls routes are where the drama/action happens. The second and third games are practically linear so stuff happens all the way through.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

If I'm not wrong, the common route is like 20 hours, and it's all usual fun and comedy without the drama parts. Those happen in the character routes.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
It does that school life thing for quite a while, getting to know the girls. Then there is a sort of ladder structure where you get to choose to enter or not each girls story, it's quite obvious when it happens. The girls routes are where the drama/action happens. The second and third games are practically linear so stuff happens all the way through.
If I'm not wrong, the common route is like 20 hours, and it's all usual fun and comedy without the drama parts. Those happen in the character routes.

Thanks. While I could do with a bit less foreplay (pun not intended) at the start, but sounds promising and indeed quit a bit like Muv-Luv, so I'm hopeful I'll enjoy the experience.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The common route/comedy is the best part of Grisaia though, the drama isn't very good. If it's like Muv Luv at all, it's a bizarro one where the beginning is the best part.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Finished WorldEnd Syndrome a couple of days ago, and gotta say that it was pretty underwhelming. The first couple of hours were strong, but it started to quickly deflate when you gain access to the map and you have to start picking locations to visit.

I get that on the first run you are not supposed to know where (or at what time) are the characters, but even after finishing the game a couple of times I still found myself picking locations at random hoping to trigger new events to be able to start the next route. That's just not fun, specially when the game straight lies to you a couple of times about the location of certain characters (their portrait is displayed on location A, but you have to go instead to B)

It ends up becoming a pretty frustrating and boring experience, and the payoff of the routes themselves is not nearly good enough to justify all the trial and error that you have to submit yourself to access them.

It also doesn't help the fact that the majority of the routes are pretty weak and they are unrelated (outside some very small bits) to the main plot... The last couple of them were a big improvement on that front and I really liked the true ending, but at that point I just wanted to end the game ASAP and start something else.

I wasn't also a fan of the shameless sequel hook at the end, specially when the main story is fairly short (and filled to the brim with arguably filler stuff)

Anyway, my next VN is Raging Loop! I heard some pretty good things about this one, so I'm excited!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Finished WorldEnd Syndrome a couple of days ago, and gotta say that it was pretty underwhelming. The first couple of hours were strong, but it started to quickly deflate when you gain access to the map and you have to start picking locations to visit.

I get that on the first run you are not supposed to know where (or at what time) are the characters, but even after finishing the game a couple of times I still found myself picking locations at random hoping to trigger new events to be able to start the next route. That's just not fun, specially when the game straight lies to you a couple of times about the location of certain characters (their portrait is displayed on location A, but you have to go instead to B)

It ends up becoming a pretty frustrating and boring experience, and the payoff of the routes themselves is not nearly good enough to justify all the trial and error that you have to submit yourself to access them.

It also doesn't help the fact that the majority of the routes are pretty weak and they are unrelated (outside some very small bits) to the main plot... The last couple of them were a big improvement on that front and I really liked the true ending, but at that point I just wanted to end the game ASAP and start something else.

I wasn't also a fan of the shameless sequel hook at the end, specially when the main story is fairly short (and filled to the brim with arguably filler stuff)

Anyway, my next VN is Raging Loop! I heard some pretty good things about this one, so I'm excited!

Welp, it's certainly a flaw of the game in my opinion, which is why I always recommend playing that game with a guide.

Raging Loop, on the other hand, needs no guide whatsoever, the game is pretty clear on what you need to do and where to look for.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, it's certainly a flaw of the game in my opinion, which is why I always recommend playing that game with a guide.

To be fair, that's totally on me! Before starting the game I was aware that I'd most likely need a walkthrough to fully enjoy it, but I wanted to finish at least one route for myself before using a guide. The portrait system made me think that it'd be easy to start the next routes, so I gave it a try. And another. And another.

It's a shame because with a couple of easy fixes it'd be much more playable, like displaying all of the characters' portraits from the beginning or properly informing you when you enter a route or drop out from one.

In one occasion I choose the wrong decision on Hanako's route and I ended up returning to the common route... I was still able to gain points for her, so I didn't notice anything wrong until it was too late to load a previous save. Come on, that's just cheap, at least give me a bad ending and don't make me do the whole month.

I still want to play the sequel tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that's totally on me! Before starting the game I was aware that I'd most likely need a walkthrough to fully enjoy it, but I wanted to finish at least one route for myself before using a guide. The portrait system made me think that it'd be easy to start the next routes, so I gave it a try. And another. And another.

It's a shame because with a couple of easy fixes it'd be much more playable, like displaying all of the characters' portraits from the beginning or properly informing you when you enter a route or drop out from one.

In one occasion I choose the wrong decision on Hanako's route and I ended up returning to the common route... I was still able to gain points for her, so I didn't notice anything wrong until it was too late to load a previous save. Come on, that's just cheap, at least give me a bad ending and don't make me do the whole month.

I still want to play the sequel tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is there a sequel?

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
For the 3 other readers of Hashihime: The 4th route dragged the game down a bit after I force skipped 3rd LI. I mean, they could've have sold it game w/2 LI and made better choices for the game.

Professor Route
Wow, one of the characters mentioned but they have a weird relationship. I kept thinking he deserved much better than I kinda like you, maybe wishy-washiness of the ending. I thought they would explain the time travel better but it just never went anywhere in the end. I feel like the earlier routes made sense in the world setting but this route felt like a totally new route in a bad way.

BTW: I don't know why Tamamori has to remind the reader: No, I'm not gay for each route.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
For the 3 other readers of Hashihime: The 4th route dragged the game down a bit after I force skipped 3rd LI. I mean, they could've have sold it game w/2 LI and made better choices for the game.

Professor Route
Wow, one of the characters mentioned but they have a weird relationship. I kept thinking he deserved much better than I kinda like you, maybe wishy-washiness of the ending. I thought they would explain the time travel better but it just never went anywhere in the end. I feel like the earlier routes made sense in the world setting but this route felt like a totally new route in a bad way.

BTW: I don't know why Tamamori has to remind the reader: No, I'm not gay for each route.

It's not bad as the third route, but I felt it was largely just there and mostly used to clean up a couple of plot points. But oh well, it's largely inoffensive anyway and the game and the game was pretty much done at that point. It's your typical VN side-route which is there because the protagonist has to date all the characters. It's just that the way the Visual Novel is set-up you get all the side stuff after the true route and one after another lol.

I liked a couple of scenes, I liked the scene with the grandma (Who never got screentime T_T), the maids were great and the scene in which he confesses to Minakami, reinforcing how much important he was to him was heartbreaking. To be honest I didn't care much for the romance with the Professor, so I didn' t mind that he didn't outright fall in love with him, since it would have felt out of character.

Tamamori is obvious gay since he has been in love with Minakami since he was like 5 and has spent the rest of his life trying to capture his attention with his stories, it's just part of his personality literally involves denying everything unpleasant and that could potentially disturb his daily life. Kawase tried to murder him so he literally replaced him with a Kappa.

Are you going to check the last route? Personally since you skipped the third route I suggest to skip that too, it's basically an AU Bad ending that doesn't add anything to the story and doesn't make particular sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LAMUNATION is out on Steam, Denpasoft, MangaGamer and JAST with 25% launch discount.
Translation was handled by H. Anthony Israel of Steins;Gate/Root Double/etc. fame, so it should be good and full of punny goodness:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Are you going to check the last route? Personally since you skipped the third route I suggest to skip that too, it's basically an AU Bad ending that doesn't add anything to the story and doesn't make particular sense.

No, as it's p depressing overall and I rather like Tamamori so I want to end this game on a positive note. Ik it'll never happen but I still want them to add the extra side stories to the PC game like an updated edition since it's probably their best selling game.

I think the real suffering is finding out no one other than 2-3 players ever post about it other than Steam. Someone read my KawasexTamamori fanfics.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
No, as it's p depressing overall and I rather like Tamamori so I want to end this game on a positive note. Ik it'll never happen but I still want them to add the extra side stories to the PC game like an updated edition since it's probably their best selling game.

I think the real suffering is finding out no one other than 2-3 players ever post about it other than Steam. Someone read my KawasexTamamori fanfics.
Well, it's a AU-Tamamori so personally whatever. Not the same protagonist we were up to that point, completely different morals and basically completely utterly insane in ways even the Shopkeeper wasn't. Eroge protagonist doing fucked up things in alternate scenario is pretty common in the genre.
So whatever, I made my peace with the last route being this stupid AU just there porn and the author wanting to reference a couple of books desperately. I just wish it didn't also serve as the ending of the novel, because the actual ending to the main's route is fantastic.

Steam forum is dead for this game, I mostly found people to discuss it on twitter and err, other places. I would read your fics but I'm a Minakami's stan with massive bias.

Last edited:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Well, it's a AU-Tamamori so personally whatever. Not the same protagonist we were up to that point, completely different morals and basically completely utterly insane in ways even the Shopkeeper wasn't. Eroge protagonist doing fucked up things in alternate scenario is pretty common in the genre.
So whatever, I made my peace with the last route being this stupid AU just there porn and the author wanting to reference a couple of books desperately. I just wish it didn't also serve as the ending of the novel, because the actual ending to the main's route is fantastic.

Steam forum is dead for this game, I mostly found people to discuss it on twitter and err, other places. I would read your fics but I'm a Minakami's stan with massive bias.

I did search twitter but mostly I read a few comments and 1 other review lol.

Anyone else sad that there's no scene replay? Idr all the different save states I used and too lazy to re-read the entire route orz. Damn I really want more works by Marx (kawase's VA) but there's nothing out for like 3 yrs. Tragic.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
anyone has played the 7 mysteries of Fujisawa and can tell me if it's decent?? The Hunnipop mini game is a turn off, but I'll still bite if the story is good.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
anyone has played the 7 mysteries of Fujisawa and can tell me if it's decent?? The Hunnipop mini game is a turn off, but I'll still bite if the story is good.

It's reasonably decent, but rather shallow and unless they changed anything from when I played, getting the true end is a pain due to some very obscure conditions you have to meet. And the puzzle game can get pretty frustrating later in the game due to the randomness involved.

In short: If the story is what you care about most, you won't miss much by skipping it. Or wait to get it cheap in a sale.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's reasonably decent, but rather shallow and unless they changed anything from when I played, getting the true end is a pain due to some very obscure conditions you have to meet. And the puzzle game can get pretty frustrating later in the game due to the randomness involved.

In short: If the story is what you care about most, you won't miss much by skipping it. Or wait to get it cheap in a sale.

The game is on my radar only because it's on sale lol. I planned on getting it along with World End Syndrome and Root Letter: Last Answer.

ashen

Oct 27, 2017
I rather enjoyed World End Syndrome, but can't imagine what it'd be like without a guide (used the PS3Imports English one) The nature of the system just made me feel as if the main character was behaving like some sort of stalker though - continually going to wherever a particular person was, day and night.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
What do you guys think of World End Economica? I got the 1st ep like a long, long time ago but IDK if it's worth clearing or not.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of World End Economica? I got the 1st ep like a long, long time ago but IDK if it's worth clearing or not.

It's really good. Strong character writing throughout and really well paced. Keep in mind that Episode 1 has a really massive cliffhanger, so you'll probably want to immediately go into the next episode if you're enjoying it. The episodes are pretty short, too (about 5-7 hours each).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Both console versions of Steins;Gate Elite are on sale for $30 at Amazon and GameStop as part of their Black Friday deals.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
World End Economica 1 is definitely the weakest, but 2 and 3 are not really massive boost in quality either (although there are definitely improvements). They're decent if you don't have other things to read.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
World End Economica 1 is definitely the weakest, but 2 and 3 are not really massive boost in quality either (although there are definitely improvements). They're decent if you don't have other things to read.

Alright added back to the wishlist. Mostly I kept wondering how they handled the episodic nature of the VN.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I noticed that on amazon.co.jp the Grisaia trilogy would be shipped in 3 months, I think this time I should have got it at D1 even though I still don't have time to play it

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, then considering the shipping fees + import fees, the cost would be higher than the 70€ of amazon.co.jp (which include shipping and deposit for customs). I will monitor it, maybe it wil return on stock.

3 months seems like the standard timeframe used when something is currently out of stock at Amazon and it's quite likely to change much sooner. I think that happened with e.g. Clannad as well which was going in and out of stock regularly as well.

I had to pay about 80 Euros, but I guess customs are lower at your place. Whenever possible, Amazaon is the much more comfrtable choice compared to Play-Asia as besided the cost advantage, deilvery is much quicker. If they'd also stock Asia versions, it would be close to perfect.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
3 months seems like the standard timeframe used when something is currently out of stock at Amazon and it's quite likely to change much sooner. I think that happened with e.g. Clannad as well which was going in and out of stock regularly as well.

I had to pay about 80 Euros, but I guess customs are lower at your place. Whenever possible, Amazaon is the much more comfrtable choice compared to Play-Asia as besided the cost advantage, deilvery is much quicker. If they'd also stock Asia versions, it would be close to perfect.
For this reason I am checking from now on, to see if the timeframe is changed when some stocks are already available. I don't know if it is better to check it periodically or just to decide to order the game or not, because for the other two games I ordered from amazon.co.jp (Ace Attorney Trilogy and Clannad), I ordered them before D1.
Anyway I always had very good experiences with amazon. There is the deposit fee, but I avoid to pay the customs when delivered, so I can make them send the parcel where I work directly, without any problem. They are also really fast: for Clannad, they shipped the game on Thursday and I received it on Monday. Then, as I said, it is less expensive than Play-Asia (I just checked again and I would pay around 69€ for the Grisaia trilogy, I think in italy customs are a bit lower than your country - for example, I didn't pay the deposit fee at all for Ace Attorney because the game cost less than 22€ exclusing shipping).