• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your most anticipated Vita title of 2018?

• 13 Sentinels

Votes: 125 28.3%
  • Catherine Fullbody

Votes: 160 36.2%
  • Persona 3/5 Dancing

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Muv Luv

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • Code: Realize/Hakuoki

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of new stuff on my site - article on Media Vision's games on Vita:

Review of Asphalt Injection (overlooked launch title, I enjoyed it)

Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit review (lewd and silly but mostly enjoyable rhythm game)

Siralim review (terrible and grindy monster-raising RPG)

Super Hydorah review (decent but horrendously difficult scrolling shooter)

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Hey there! So I just started having some problems with my Vita. The Cross, Circle, Triangle and Square buttons started to make this mildly annoying squeaky sound when I press them. Any fix?

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Hey there! So I just started having some problems with my Vita. The Cross, Circle, Triangle and Square buttons started to make this mildly annoying squeaky sound when I press them. Any fix?

What model? Do the buttons still work and register all inputs? Square button started sticking in one of my Vitas (Wifi OLED) and it made a squeaky sound. Thought the button's rubber was busted but turned out the "pad" in the board was damaged so I had to change the whole right button board. I used this guide, pretty easy if you have the right tools.

But first try spraying some compressed air in there (with a nozzle) from the button holes before you start opening it up. Seems to me like there's some dust or dirt because it's highly unlikely the board or the rubber is damaged if all four buttons make squeaky noise but work just fine.

edited for clarification

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's been nice messing around on the Vita again. I charged it up when Shovel Knight King of Cards came out and kinda forgot about it. Leaving it on standby between then and now only cost me 6% battery. Magic. Hope there will be some digital sales again soon (around Christmas probably?). Seems like big Vita sales only happen like once or twice a year now though.

My X button is kinda squeaky when I press it at certain angles. I would echo what deadceptor said to try cleaning out any loose particles in the space around the button before attempting anything radical.

- - - -

Question: when I went online to redownload Shovel Knight, I was spoofing firmware version 3.71 under the assumption that that was the latest. Turns out it's 3.73. Am I already dead or is there nothing to worry about?

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for Colin Moriarty or his content here

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Hard pass because of the person involved.

I did appreciate your write-up of hidden gems on the Vita. Ar nosurge is a stand out for me and the first game I got a platinum trophy from. Excellent music too. (RIP origa)

Jan 11, 2018

I don't think Moriarty's involved, if you're referring to him. He recently plugged a shmup by the same dev, since they're apparently friends. But I haven't heard anything bad about the dev.

Welp. Seems Moriarty is involved in the making of this one after all.

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

I did appreciate your write-up of hidden gems on the Vita. Ar nosurge is a stand out for me and the first game I got a platinum trophy from. Excellent music too. (RIP origa)

Thanks man! Yeah, the music is stunning. The opening song (during the exposition text) is still one of my favourite in gaming.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Played through Shovel Knight - King of Cards on my Vita this week and managed to 100% it. 100%ed all of SK now, I already miss it :(
I'm now working on Shakedown Hawaii and port wise its nice, smooth and looks great on the Vita but I think I prefer RCR in terms of mission design, missions are just way too short and simple and I've done almost 70 of them now!

Oct 26, 2017

Watched all his videos for this and all it did was remind me that I haven't played Muv Luv yet (or Fata for that matter), despite owning it since day 1. Not really surprised by the drpg he ranks the highest out of all of them considering he largely sounded disappointed in most of them. Expected 2 of his top 3 though, just kinda forgot about ML.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Shakedown Hawaii yesterday. Honestly, can't say I loved it. I didn't hate it either, but I felt like it was forever just starting to get going... and then it ended. I preferred RCR myself, but still the game looked great and ran well on the Vita, so that's something. Not sure what I'll play next though...

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i can't test it currently because my PS3 is wireless at the minute so i'm asking here

anyone have any idea if vita games work with adhoc party on PS3?

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I was really enjoying Demon Gaze but I'm dropping it because Sol fight is pure bullshit.

Granted, some of the previous boss fights also felt like they were bullshit, but at the end it was only a matter of changing the strategy. This fight definitely isn't. The fucker abducted my gazer in the first turn and proceeded to kill my paladin and wizard in the second (it's worth mentioning that this was my second attempt).

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying Demon Gaze but I'm dropping it because Sol fight is pure bullshit.

Granted, some of the previous boss fights also felt like they were bullshit, but at the end it was only a matter of changing the strategy. This fight definitely isn't. The fucker abducted my gazer in the first turn and proceeded to kill my paladin and wizard in the second (it's worth mentioning that this was my second attempt).

You need to cheese those impossible battles with the ultimate items that protect your party from everything.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
The only boss I remember having any trouble with on Demon Gaze was the thing that attacks the inn. Don't remember Sol being too bad O.o

Merry Christmas Vita Community Thread!

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
New content I've done over the past few weeks:

Article about hidden gems on Vita:

Review of Hero Must Die Again (coming west on PS4/PC/Switch next year) - enjoyable non-linear JRPG. I was right to campaign for this one to be localized!

Review of LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (chopped down port):

Review of Yomawari: Night Alone (I don't like horror games but I enjoyed this):

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I got myself Riddled Corpses EX and Söldner-X 2 from the current sales on PSN. Anyone know of good twin stick shooters?

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for reminding me that I still have to get Lost Dimension.

Btw, how's Night Alone compared with the first Yomawari???

Night Alone is the first one, Midnight Shadows is the 2nd. I personally think the 2nd is slightly better than the first in terms of atmosphere and locations, although I feel the first did better in terms of execution of it's scares.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Just got the plat for Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight. The game's good fun and some of the remixes are pretty damn good (that tofubeats remix of 'With the Stars and Us' is 👌👌👌), but it's way too thin in content. It feels barebones (even when compared to P4DAN) and you can tell by the way some of the social interactions are unlocked and some of the song choices (seriously, who listened to 'Life Goes On' and 'With the Stars and Us' and thought "Oh yeah, these are PERFECT for a rhythm game").

I was going to complain about the amount of DLC songs they released and had a quick look at the DLC in the store and daaaaaaamn is it bad. I'm not even talking about quantity. Most of them are 'full' or live versions. What the hell?!?!?!

Definitely not worth full price, but $20 or so sounds lika a good deal. They either should've released both P5D and P3D as a single game (because I don't expect P3D to have more content than this one) or waited for Persona 5 Scramble to have a wider variety of songs to choose from.

All in all, I'm very happy with the game, mostly because I got the Endless Night Collection as a Christmas gift ($55 sounds like a pretty good deal for both dancing games + soundtrack + that outer box).

I'm gonna drop a pic of the games I got for Christmas.

EMn2dc4WwAErpWP.jpg

Night Alone is the first one, Midnight Shadows is the 2nd. I personally think the 2nd is slightly better than the first in terms of atmosphere and locations, although I feel the first did better in terms of execution of it's scares.
Hmmmmm... I may get it if the physical version is still at a decent price... After I get Lost Dimension, Collar X Malice and Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk, that is.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I got myself Riddled Corpses EX and Söldner-X 2 from the current sales on PSN. Anyone know of good twin stick shooters?

Super Stardust Delta and Geometry Wars 3 are my go-tos.

For more hidden gem type games, try Tachyon Project or Wanted Corp.

Thanks for reminding me that I still have to get Lost Dimension.

Btw, how's Night Alone compared with the first Yomawari???

Everyone should get Lost Dimension. Its brilliant!

Yomawari is the first one. I've yet to try the second one, I'm hoping it's as enjoyable.

Swery wrote his top games of 2019 on Giant Bomb and mentioned a single Vita title, Gnosia. anyone know what's that game about and whether or not that's getting localized?

I think it's a werewolf visual novel. As Shiz said, got a 10 from IGN Japan and tonnes of praise. Doubt it'll be localized though (at least for Vita).

I'm gonna drop a pic of the games I got for Christmas.

EMn2dc4WwAErpWP.jpg

An excellent selection!

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I got myself Gundam Breaker 3 Break edition, finally. So glad to at least have one more action game on my little vita

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I'm about to start the MGS HD Collection, but I have no idea in what order I'm supposed to play the games. Am I supposed to know what happened in the first MGS (given that it isn't included in the collection)???

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to start the MGS HD Collection, but I have no idea in what order I'm supposed to play the games. Am I supposed to know what happened in the first MGS (given that it isn't included in the collection)???

Metal Gear Solid 2 follows on pretty heavily from the first, yes, so I'd recommend playing it before that. MGS3 is a decent stand-alone story.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
Just got a survey form Sekai about Root Double Vita asking for a region.

Could it be....

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I started MGS2 yesterday and HOLY SHIT The thing controls like hot garbage!!! I can't even focus on the story because I feel like I'm constantly fighting against the game itself. Seriously, it feels like I'm controlling a paraplegic rock.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So I found my misplaced vita recently, haven't really played it that much since 2018, but I did like the console, and seeing that media create doesn't even track its sales anymore sorta made me realize "oh shit, games are gonna start becoming pretty hard to find for this thing". Which made me realize that I'm probably going to have to go more digital than expected.

Now, I know about how bad those 64 GB Vita memory cards are, so I'm not gonna bother with those, and I'd rather use an SD Card solution. I know of 2 ones:

Theres the one where you use the micro SD card in the vita's cartridge slot. This is the easiest one. For anyone whose used this, does it get wonky if you still have a memory card in the vita? I still plan on going physical when I can, so it'd be annoying if I had to pop out that tiny memory card any time I wanted to go digital.

The other way as far as I know, is to physically mod the 3G Vita model to use an SD card instead. That is actually my model of vita (Yes I got that ill fited 3G model at launch, come laugh at me lol). Does anyone have any experience with this method now a days? Everything i see about it is from 2-3 years ago.

I might even hack my vita later idk, since I do like a lot of PS1 and PSP games and it'd be nice to not carry around my PSP as often when the 3DS and Switch take up a lot of space on their own for portable outings, but right now I wanna focus on playing this cool little handheld again!

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Just finished MGS2 and my previous comment stays. The story is good (though I think it started getting convoluted towards the end), but gameplay is trash. I'm not even gonna bother with the extra stuff.

Now I'm gonna play Persona 3 Dancing, which I've been looking forward for a while.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I might even hack my vita later idk

Hacking your Vita is a prerequisite for either of the SD card solutions. Do it before your memory card fails, because with your model a memory card is required to perform the hack. https://vita.hacks.guide/get-started.html

I'm pretty sure after the fact you can copy all the CFW plugins to your SD card and basically run off it for general operations, but I haven't investigated that much myself because I'm still dealing with a lot of physical games and don't plan to (...can't) abandon my MC anytime soon. (More on this a little later.)

Theres the one where you use the micro SD card in the vita's cartridge slot. This is the easiest one. For anyone whose used this, does it get wonky if you still have a memory card in the vita?
It's fine, but I don't think it works the way you might be imagining. Official software can only see ONE of the storage methods at a time. You basically mount either the MC or the SD2VITA at the point where the Vita expects the memory card to be. Switching between the two requires at least a reboot.

Homebrew isn't subject to this limitation. AFAIK this would include that PSP/PS1 emulation you want to do, if you install Adrenaline.

...I was going to tell you to just go for PSVSD, the modded solution, if you felt at all comfortable with the hardware disassembly. Because if I had a 3G Vita I absolutely would have at least TRIED it back when I hacked my Vita a number of months ago. But having re-looked things up now, it appears that SphereSolid has sold out of units and is not currently considering another run. You can of course find them on Aliexpress/Amazon, but you might be rolling the dice a bit w/r/t quality there. So...I dunno. Your call.

As for SD2VITA, the adapter has been revised several times and you would want version 5.0 (I think that's still the latest.) It's the best physical fit.
If you're the Amazon US-using type, I can confirm I got a good one from this seller (h/t to RoninChaos)

Last edited:

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone got their Project Sense preorder in? The deadline is this Friday.

Last edited:

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys I'm sure the answer is already somewhere around here but I couldn't find it. I've been thinking of searching for a used vita but I remember there being differences between models, which one should I go for?