• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your most anticipated Vita title of 2018?

• 13 Sentinels

Votes: 125 28.3%
  • Catherine Fullbody

Votes: 160 36.2%
  • Persona 3/5 Dancing

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Muv Luv

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • Code: Realize/Hakuoki

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Still use my Vita all the time here.

I just finished Root Letter yesterday; what's the best thread to post thoughts in? This one, or one for visual novels?

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Muv-Luv Extra, looking forward to finally getting into what comes next, hope it pays off, had to force myself through the dating sim part.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone skipped Punchline's anime, the visual novel should be among the Vita titles in 2018. It's a shame that, if you did watch anime, I can't really recommend the game.
Do you mean it is not worth it?

I haven't watched the anime nor played the game but from what people told me it would be best to watch the anime first.

Should I just play the game instead of the anime?

OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't watched the anime nor played the game but from what people told me it would be best to watch the anime first.

The game and the anime are like 90% the same. I hadn't seen the anime either, but I feel like I got more out of the game itself by going in blind.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I did watch 3 episodes and drop it, might bite on a sale, so many good VNs to read yet, Utawarerumono duo being main culprits.

Yup, don't go back to the anime, just wait to play the game.

It's worth it if you haven't watched the anime. Don't watch the anime first, that was misinformation that even I spread before the game was released.

Really? I thought the whole point of the anime was to lead into the game.

Not really, it's the same story in the end. I'd say it's an "either or" situation.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much do you like bad Tales Series copies that just make you feel like your time would be better spent playing something else
Just to expand on this, it would be an OK Tales clone if it wasn't so goddamn padded. Like the amount of inane back and forth fetch questy shit you have to do is insane. Totally ruins the pacing and makes the sections between gameplay bits a real slog. The localization is actually pretty decent (as expected from XSEED) but there is only so much they could do with the source material, which isn't that great tbh.

It's so thoroughly mediocre that it's not really worth playing unless you've exhausted all other possible action RPGs.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded Run Sackboy Run after passing it over for four years. Man, what a blast! I'm addicted lol.

Also, does anyone know where one could find the PDP Vita grips for the 1000 model on sale? Ebay is full of fakes :(

I shoulda bought them when they were plentiful ha.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I will talk to you about Root Letter in this thread if you want!

I had a really nice time with it, having gone in with no expectations at all.

My first time in Japan was in a very Matsue-like castle town so I was eager to play a game in that setting. (Far too many games, movies, books, etc. are set in Tokyo, and only Tokyo.) I liked hearing the Shimane dialect from everybody too, and it was refreshing to have most of the main characters in their 30s given Japan's love for high school settings. They were clearly trying to cram famous Matsue spots into the game but it still worked out.

The first ending I got was a very creepy one, but it made me want to keep going. And this was where I really thought the game took a wrong turn. Instead of having different endings based on Aya doing different things as a response to her correspondence with Max, the game seems to have the past become completely different.

Huh?

After that first ending, I had been looking forward to discovering more about that situation, possibly trying to warn people; writing different things to Aya; I dunno. But instead I got an unrelated scenario. Same with the other endings.

And the scenario/ending about aliens and UFOs is just so childishly stupid that I could imagine a player giving up on the game entirely if that was their first ending. Admittely, this one comes if you have Max write stupid, immature things to Aya, but as one-fifth of the whole game, it's awful.

The best ending is absolutely wonderful and seems to be the result of Max's best responses. I got that one in the middle and wish I had saved it for last. It has an internal consistency that the other ones lack, and is of course the most satisfying. I just wish that all five had branched off from one starting point rather than the way they handled it.

The translation is very up-and-down and while there are some very natural turns of phrase, there are also some gigantic duds. When they were talking about the high school baseball game and the pitcher who gave up a lot of runs, and this became "lost a lot of points", I wanted to reach into the screen and slap someone. (I know, in Japanese, runs allowed are literally 失点 'lost points', but with five translators and a supervisor, you have to catch this kind of thing!)

"Max Mode", where our protagonist explodes with emotion at someone he is questioning, didn't do much for me. A lot of times there were choices that were almost identical and you just had to guess.

The people's names were clever without being over-the-top; "Fumi" means "letter"; "Aya" means "phrase", and "Shiori" means "bookmark". I didn't quite get what the game's title meant. Shimane literally means "island root"; was that what they were going for? Why a square-root sign?

I'm still glad I played it and will definitely play the sequel that has supposedly been announced. There's also a live-action version in the works?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still glad I played it and will definitely play the sequel that has supposedly been announced. There's also a live-action version in the works?

Hey, someone else who enjoyed Root Letter, yay!

Definitely felt like Shimane was the best thing about it, the setting and background designs were just gorgeous. Also the soundtrack weaved in really well too.

I'm in agreement on the endings - the non-canon ones felt stupid and I didn't enjoy seeing them, but the main ending did feel like a satisfying conclusion and I'm glad I did see it through to that point.

Excited for Root Letter 2 as well, although I do have to wonder what direction they're going to go with it. Same characters? New mystery but same setup?

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Excited for Root Letter 2 as well, although I do have to wonder what direction they're going to go with it. Same characters? New mystery but same setup?

I hope it's a similar story but with different characters and in a different city. This game seemed to have a lot of cooperation from local-promotion organizations in Matsue and Shimane -- they're all listed in the credits -- so I could see them doing a series of games set there, but it would be more fun to have them choose another "mid-tier" Japanese city that has some history and culture but doesn't get a lot of attention in video games. There are even major world-famous cities that don't seem to have games set there. Nagasaki? Sapporo? Nara? Even Kyoto!

I really hope they make the endings story-consistent next time. It was a big disappointment to embark on a second playthrough and discover that what you wrote in your letters not only changed what Aya had done since 1999, but also "changed" the entire background to the story. It would have been a lot more fun to steadily discover more of what was going on with each playthrough. And I agree, the best ending is the only really good one. People playing this game, you will get just about as much from this game as you can even if you only play up until you find the good ending. The rest of the endings don't add much to the experience.

I didn't use a guide very much, but I did when trying to fill out the Gallery and to ge tthe Shimanekko trophy. Those were probably also more trouble than they were worth. Sitll a great game, though, and I'd love to see it become a series!

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to those games, Metal Slug 3 is cross-buy and on sale for PS4, so you get the Vita version as well.

BTW, how are Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango? Literally the only adventure games I've played are Broken Sword 1 and 2, how do those games compare?
Full Throttle has a great world and a really cool style to it but the puzzles are incredibly unfun to me. I liked everything about it aside from actually playing it. Day of the Tentacle is still great though and the original Maniac Mansion is playable on a computer within the game too.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I had totally forgotten about this.

xQFvtjw.jpg

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I wanted to make a list of upcoming, noteworthy games for the Vita, since they'll probably be the last slate of games for the system. Any others I'm missing (that are good)?

Guaranteed to come out in the west:
Death Mark
Heartforth Alicia
House in Fata Morgana
Persona 5 Dancing
Persona 3 Dancing
Shakedown Hawaii
Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Probably Japan-Only:
Catherine: Full-Body
13 Sentinels

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing dead or alive 5 on the Vita. Forgot how good of a port it was. Wish we would have gotten a tekken game.

Also finally bought toukiden kiwami. Been meaning to get it for a while. Finally got it at a cheap price.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! Was just a remake of the original game, but I'm pleased to see it's something quite new with fresh ideas.

However, the game has crashed on me twice in an hour, there's been a lot of slowdown, and the load times are pretty long, so to say it doesn't perform well on Vita is putting it mildly...

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Slayaway Camp trophies are up. Also Perils of Baking. Wonder if Slayaway will happen considering it's from Digerati and we're still waiting on Monster Slayers:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/8350-slayaway-camp
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/8354-perils-of-baking-refrosted

I wanted to make a list of upcoming, noteworthy games for the Vita, since they'll probably be the last slate of games for the system. Any others I'm missing (that are good)?

Death Mark
Heartforth Alicia
House in Fata Morgana
Persona 5 Dancing
Persona 3 Dancing
Shakedown Hawaii

Probably Japan-Only:
13 Sentinels

Fate/Extella Link
Project Hardcore
Sharin no Kuni

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017

Death Mark
Heartforth Alicia
House in Fata Morgana
Persona 5 Dancing
Persona 3 Dancing
Shakedown Hawaii

Probably Japan-Only:
13 Sentinels

Code:Realize Wintertide Miracles

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
This week's article is up, about all the sports games available on Vita. Not a genre I think many people in this thread particularly spend much time with (I know I don't, although recently I've really gotten into football manager!)

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2018/10/22/sports-games-available-on-vita/
I actually picked up cheap copies of Virtua Tennis 4 and The Show 14 recently specifically because I felt my sports games were lacking.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Any other Velocity 2X buyers finally get their bonus materials in the mail? Mine showed up yesterday.

Pity about the whole misprinted cover fiasco, but good on them for actually making the bonus goods and sending them out.

NDPsycho

Oct 27, 2017
Got my refund for Bloodstained today, so that was nice. Glad to see they followed through with those requests when they canceled the vita version.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Seems PQube are officially done with Vita, Our World is Ended not coming across on Sony's handheld.

Ah well!

Got my refund for Bloodstained today, so that was nice. Glad to see they followed through with those requests when they canceled the vita version.

Yep, got mine too, already got it earmarked for other stuff.

Also, I finished a couple of new reviews. Mecho Wars is a gigantic mess:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2018/10/23/vita-mecho-tales-review/

And Soul Sacrifice Delta is absolutely glorious:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2018/10/24/vita-soul-sacrifice-delta-review/

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Does using nearly the full capacity of by 32GB card increase the chances of corruption?

My 64GB card I had plugged into my Vita TV started corrupting files (I had to reinstall titles before playing them, but they seem to work fine for the two weeks or so after that). Which I'm really not sure what to do about.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Finished my review of Halloween Forever. Quite enjoyed it:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/vita-halloween-forever-review/

Does using nearly the full capacity of by 32GB card increase the chances of corruption?

My 64GB card I had plugged into my Vita TV started corrupting files (I had to reinstall titles before playing them, but they seem to work fine for the two weeks or so after that). Which I'm really not sure what to do about.

I'd read somewhere to leave 10% of the memory card's space free to decrease the chances of corruption. I've done that with all my 64GB's which are thankfully fine.