• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your most anticipated Vita title of 2018?

• 13 Sentinels

Votes: 125 28.3%
  • Catherine Fullbody

Votes: 160 36.2%
  • Persona 3/5 Dancing

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Muv Luv

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • Code: Realize/Hakuoki

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well finally they confirm that they are coming. Can't wait to get both, I loved playing through both games on the Vita and getting physical copies are close to top of my list, just hope they are easy to import if they are only being sold through their online store.

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017
Nicalis: "Hey, these super-rare, unannounced games are available on eBay, but don't buy them because they don't have a warranty."

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
I was browsing around on amazon and found out that there's a 3rd party seller named "Ostent" is selling unbranded memory card for cheaper prices. 32 gb cards go for 40€, 16 for 20-25. unfortunately there are no reviews yet, does anyone know what's up with those? I might as well try and buy one, since amazon has a good refund policy. I see they're on newegg as well

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was browsing around on amazon and found out that there's a 3rd party seller named "Ostent" is selling unbranded memory card for cheaper prices. 32 gb cards go for 40€, 16 for 20-25. unfortunately there are no reviews yet, does anyone know what's up with those? I might as well try and buy one, since amazon has a good refund policy. I see they're on newegg as well
Quick Google shows they're refurbished or used legit cards. Someone ordered one and it's just the official card (on the right):

H894lji.jpg

They removed branding from the online photo's as to evade any trademark issues on AliExpress and the likes.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comme..._vita_memory_cards_on_ebay/dym7opx/?context=3

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I'm a bit sad because this means there's still a "limited" number of memory cards out there, I wish third party manifacturers could preserve it. I think I'll need a second ps vita to hack just to use sd2vita. Do I need a memory card to set up the hack? (I don't want to use the one I got on my legit Vita)

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I'm a bit sad because this means there's still a "limited" number of memory cards out there, I wish third party manifacturers could preserve it. I think I'll need a second ps vita to hack just to use sd2vita. Do I need a memory card to set up the hack? (I don't want to use the one I got on my legit Vita)

If you got a slim, no. I think you still need one for the phat.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Written a few new reviews over the past few weeks:

Jet Set Radio - not a game I ever played on Dreamcast, but absolutely great on Vita, once you get past the initial difficulty curve:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/15/vita-jet-set-radio-review/

MUD - an arcade-y motocross racer that I quite enjoyed, although the career mode is a grind:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/12/vita-mud-fim-motocross-world-championship-review/

Gunhouse - a puzzle/tower-defence hybrid that's a decent idea not executed very well:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/16/vita-gunhouse-review/

And Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble - a PSP hidden gem that plays great on Vita:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/10/psp-kenka-bancho-badass-rumble-review/

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing that Kenka game for a while now. I love weird japan stuff and people said it's kinda like Yakuza.

It last went on sale in Jan 2017 for $5, so i've been waiting. I feel like it could be delisted so I should just bite the bullet, but meh.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Jet Set Radio is great on the Vita. I'm a huge fanboy though! But I did love how the game got a huge patch after a couple of months that improved load times, performance and I think graphics? It was a really awesome update. Making me want to replay it again...

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I've been eyeing that Kenka game for a while now. I love weird japan stuff and people said it's kinda like Yakuza.

It last went on sale in Jan 2017 for $5, so i've been waiting. I feel like it could be delisted so I should just bite the bullet, but meh.

I'd worry about it being delisted, the recent group of delistings from NA PSN were all Atlus-published games that were developed by other companies (mainly Sting). So perhaps bite the bullet sooner rather than later. It's very much a simplified Yakuza but it is fun to run around rural Japan and beat up thugs and the time-management aspect is handled really well.

Jet Set Radio is great on the Vita. I'm a huge fanboy though! But I did love how the game got a huge patch after a couple of months that improved load times, performance and I think graphics? It was a really awesome update. Making me want to replay it again...

I actually hated the game the first time I played it on Vita. Tutorial was terrible and the controls just felt off. This time around I stuck with it and everything just clicked after a few hours and I came out absolutely loving it.

That said, it does seem unstable on Vita - not performance (which was fine for me), but I did have an easy-to-replicate crash which was a bit frustrating.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The tutorial (ends with a 50 trick combo I think?) was insane as its basically harder to do than the main game itself. Even Jet ranking and getting all graffiti souls in levels is easier (I ended up 100%ing it 3 times last gen - Vita, 360, PS3). The tutorial always annoyed me the most! But its such a stylish Sega game. Wonderful visuals, amazing soundtrack, addictive arcade gameplay. Just wish the sequel would get remastered.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Looking at old saved pics and got hit with a wave of nostalgia (I guess?).
Anybody remember? Man I loved the art in this game.

14333972050_22f2b209cb_o.jpg

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Looking at old saved pics and got hit with a wave of nostalgia (I guess?).
Anybody remember? Man I loved the art in this game.

14333972050_22f2b209cb_o.jpg

DoS artworks were amazing. Got to know a lot of myths from other regions through it too.
And the gameplay didn't require player input much, which is something I like even today (the only gacha I play is Girl's Frontline, as the rest I've seen has too much gameplay for me).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for good 2D platformers on Vita? I've already got Shovel Knight, FEZ, Guacamelee, Spelunky, and Rayman Legends/Origins. I've played Iconoclasts elsewhere already. Not a fan of LBP. I think I've hit all the highs already, but hoping there are a few I've overlooked.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for good 2D platformers on Vita? I've already got Shovel Knight, FEZ, Guacamelee, Spelunky, and Rayman Legends/Origins. I've played Iconoclasts elsewhere already. Not a fan of LBP. I think I've hit all the highs already, but hoping there are a few I've overlooked.
You've certainly hit many of the greats. Here are a few more I enjoyed (and for the sake of it, I won't list Metroidvania's as I don't really count them unless they have lots of platforming like Guacamelee had). Most are available elsewhere though so you might have played these on PC/Switch etc.

Super Meat Boy - One of my favourite platformers. Tough, yet fair and super addictive. If you've not played it elsewhere, do give it a shot.

Hue - An interesting puzzle platformer that uses different colours for its puzzles. Its an interesting concept that works great in practice.

Bloodstained - Again, available on all platforms but great on the Vita (and Switch) as its the perfect portable game. Classic Castlevania styled levels, multiple difficulties/modes so its pretty darn replayable as well. Definitely one of my most favourite recent platformers.

Salt and Sanctuary - This one actually has enough platforming to note, despite also being a blend of Dark Souls and Metroidvania in concept. I absolutely loved this game despite taking forever to start it. Its a great challenge (tough at first, but definitely got way easier later in the game) and well worth giving a shot if you want something more Metroidvania ish.

Volgarr the Viking - A great retro platformer, and a brutal one at that difficulty wise. If your aiming for the best endings it'll definitely take you a while to nail (I'm still surprised I managed it to be honest!) but its one of the most satisfying experiences I've played in recent memory.

Cursed Castilla - Basically its Ghouls n Ghosts but not official. Also, its a tad easier (I thought it was much easier, but that's me, I'm not the best judge of difficulty!). Like Volgarr its something that'll take you a while to get down if your going for the best ending but it never felt unfair to me, very fun to speed run/replay as well.

A Rose in the Twilight - I think this might actually be a Vita exclusive game, a first in my list so far! Its a beautiful puzzle platformer with a rather dark and sad story. You switch control between a girl (weak, can jump) and a mindless colossus (slow, can pick stuff up, invincible, can't jump?) I loved it, its just right difficulty wise so the puzzles never felt unfair or stupid, but also had time attack trophies and stuff to help you learn the levels more. Definitely give this one a try.

Limbo - If you've not already played this elsewhere then certainly give this a try. Its a great platformer, with some of the best trophies I've seen in a game (as its basically just doing optional platforming segments, so its actually worth doing them all). And if you own a current gen console/PC go get the devs newer game - Inside.

Sound Shapes - Its fairly easy story mode wise, but its got some great music. Death mode though, prepare to die loads!

Mutant Mudds Deluxe - A game designed like an old school NES game. Best on 3DS though since the 3D effect makes it easier to judge which plane the enemies are on. But its fantastic on Vita as well.

A Boy and his Blob - Puzzle platformer, hug button for the blob, and some pretty awesome power ups. Looks amazing on the Vita Oled screen as its incredibly sharp and not as soft (like how it looks on PS4) but the frame rate has issues some times.

VVVVVV - a great platformer with a retro aesthetic an partial open world. Again, its available everywhere so you might have played this one before but its brilliant on Vita if you have not.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase + - A really cool physics based platformer with a fishing rod. Tough to learn, incredibly satisfying to master.

1001 Spikes - You have 1001 lives. That's all you need to know about how the difficulty is on this level. Its also trial and error based so yeah, you'll die a lot but I did really love the game in the end.

Probably missed loads, but these are all totally worth playing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You've certainly hit many of the greats. Here are a few more I enjoyed (and for the sake of it, I won't list Metroidvania's as I don't really count them unless they have lots of platforming like Guacamelee had). Most are available elsewhere though so you might have played these on PC/Switch etc.

Super Meat Boy - One of my favourite platformers. Tough, yet fair and super addictive. If you've not played it elsewhere, do give it a shot.

Hue - An interesting puzzle platformer that uses different colours for its puzzles. Its an interesting concept that works great in practice.

Bloodstained - Again, available on all platforms but great on the Vita (and Switch) as its the perfect portable game. Classic Castlevania styled levels, multiple difficulties/modes so its pretty darn replayable as well. Definitely one of my most favourite recent platformers.

Salt and Sanctuary - This one actually has enough platforming to note, despite also being a blend of Dark Souls and Metroidvania in concept. I absolutely loved this game despite taking forever to start it. Its a great challenge (tough at first, but definitely got way easier later in the game) and well worth giving a shot if you want something more Metroidvania ish.

Volgarr the Viking - A great retro platformer, and a brutal one at that difficulty wise. If your aiming for the best endings it'll definitely take you a while to nail (I'm still surprised I managed it to be honest!) but its one of the most satisfying experiences I've played in recent memory.

Cursed Castilla - Basically its Ghouls n Ghosts but not official. Also, its a tad easier (I thought it was much easier, but that's me, I'm not the best judge of difficulty!). Like Volgarr its something that'll take you a while to get down if your going for the best ending but it never felt unfair to me, very fun to speed run/replay as well.

A Rose in the Twilight - I think this might actually be a Vita exclusive game, a first in my list so far! Its a beautiful puzzle platformer with a rather dark and sad story. You switch control between a girl (weak, can jump) and a mindless colossus (slow, can pick stuff up, invincible, can't jump?) I loved it, its just right difficulty wise so the puzzles never felt unfair or stupid, but also had time attack trophies and stuff to help you learn the levels more. Definitely give this one a try.

Limbo - If you've not already played this elsewhere then certainly give this a try. Its a great platformer, with some of the best trophies I've seen in a game (as its basically just doing optional platforming segments, so its actually worth doing them all). And if you own a current gen console/PC go get the devs newer game - Inside.

Sound Shapes - Its fairly easy story mode wise, but its got some great music. Death mode though, prepare to die loads!

Mutant Mudds Deluxe - A game designed like an old school NES game. Best on 3DS though since the 3D effect makes it easier to judge which plane the enemies are on. But its fantastic on Vita as well.

A Boy and his Blob - Puzzle platformer, hug button for the blob, and some pretty awesome power ups. Looks amazing on the Vita Oled screen as its incredibly sharp and not as soft (like how it looks on PS4) but the frame rate has issues some times.

VVVVVV - a great platformer with a retro aesthetic an partial open world. Again, its available everywhere so you might have played this one before but its brilliant on Vita if you have not.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase + - A really cool physics based platformer with a fishing rod. Tough to learn, incredibly satisfying to master.

1001 Spikes - You have 1001 lives. That's all you need to know about how the difficulty is on this level. Its also trial and error based so yeah, you'll die a lot but I did really love the game in the end.

Probably missed loads, but these are all totally worth playing.

Thanks so much! Looks like there's plenty left to play after all. I'll be getting several of these for sure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
There's also htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (made by the same people as A Rose in the Twilight), and not a vita game but The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince came out recently on ps4/pc/switch (again same people).

Liar Princess is a Vita game, but Japan only. I've not played it yet (I do own it) so I didn't list it since I've no idea how good it is. As for htoL#NiQ , oh I remembered that game. Its absolute garbage and not really a platformer at all (puzzle game, and a rubbish one at that) so I didn't dare recommend it. I'm amazed I finished the game without smashing my Vita to pieces.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Does Shantae count???

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There's also htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (made by the same people as A Rose in the Twilight), and not a vita game but The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince came out recently on ps4/pc/switch (again same people).

Will look into these, thanks!

Does Shantae count???

I wouldn't call it a platformer myself. The platforming didn't seem to be a core part of the challenge by my recollection, but I also only played the first couple of hours of these Shantae games so I can't say for sure.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
My latest article is up, about all the turn-based RPG's on Vita. It's hella long!

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/22/turn-based-role-playing-games-on-vita/

Also just the one review over the past week, Pac-Man World for PS1 (it's alright):

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/20/ps1-pac-man-world-20th-anniversary-review/

Fantastic article. I have only one complaint. While Yuusha Shisu can be literally translated as "Hero Must Die", a more appropriate title would be "Death of a Hero", fitting the theme of the game better.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic article. I have only one complaint. While Yuusha Shisu can be literally translated as "Hero Must Die", a more appropriate title would be "Death of a Hero", fitting the theme of the game better.

Thank you - glad you enjoyed it!

I used "Hero Must Die" as it's the translation Gematsu used for it (Siliconera used "Hero Death" which I liked a lot less, "Hero Must Die" is also on the Wikipedia page). I didn't know "Death of a Hero" was a better translation as I'm not a Japanese speaker myself - thanks!

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I packed my Vita away when I got my Switch in 2017, but a few months ago I got it back out of storage. I still love my Switch but it feels a little too big to play in bed? I've been slowly chipping away at Soul Sacrifice Delta, and I never got around to finishing Persona 4 or FF X.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I packed my Vita away when I got my Switch in 2017, but a few months ago I got it back out of storage. I still love my Switch but it feels a little too big to play in bed? I've been slowly chipping away at Soul Sacrifice Delta, and I never got around to finishing Persona 4 or FF X.

Been waiting for the Switch Mini, I need my Vita 2 experience.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
My latest article is up, about all the turn-based RPG's on Vita. It's hella long!

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/22/turn-based-role-playing-games-on-vita/

Also just the one review over the past week, Pac-Man World for PS1 (it's alright):

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/04/20/ps1-pac-man-world-20th-anniversary-review/

It's to bad the anniversary editions of the first two Final Fantasy games never made it over to the North American PSN. I'd love to play those version on Vita (legally). The Star Ocean 1 and 2 remakes are on JPN PSN but that's sadly not the case in the west. I always get somewhat annoyed whenever I think about it. It's not like a localization script doesn't exist. Was porting to PS4 and Vita really that much of a pain for them? I've always been curious to try that one other Suikoden PSP game too, but that one also never came over. I've lost all hope for a localization of SaGa Scarlet Grace on current gen platforms. I guess Square doesn't feels its worth giving the IP a strong presence in the west besides what you see on PSN, or not depending on region, and what's on mobile stores. I wanted to play the PSP remake of the first Oreshika game before going into Tainted Bloodlines but I have to see if there's a fan translation. You've never played the Favorite Dear games have you? I've noticed them on PSN but I don't think they're localized.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
So I am a fairly new PS VITA TV owner, I've had the Vita various times and will probably get another one as I somehow always come back to this system. I do have a preference for digital downloads as I don't like to have physical anything. I did see in earlier posts that there is the option to use some software to transfer it to a hard disk which is perfect.

I do have one question however, are there games that are only available through physical copies? Or is the whole vita library available to download?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So I am a fairly new PS VITA TV owner, I've had the Vita various times and will probably get another one as I somehow always come back to this system. I do have a preference for digital downloads as I don't like to have physical anything. I did see in earlier posts that there is the option to use some software to transfer it to a hard disk which is perfect.

I do have one question however, are there games that are only available through physical copies? Or is the whole vita library available to download?

It depends on your region. All Vita games are available on PSN, except games that were never released on your region to begin with or delisted games.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on your region. All Vita games are available on PSN, except games that were never released on your region to begin with or delisted games.
Okay that makes sense. I actually like getting trophies for games so I'd rather download them and I'm not much of a physical collector anyway. I'm quite enjoying it. I guess now I just have to get a one of those memory cards. I hear the 32gb is more reliable?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that makes sense. I actually like getting trophies for games so I'd rather download them and I'm not much of a physical collector anyway. I'm quite enjoying it. I guess now I just have to get a one of those memory cards. I hear the 32gb is more reliable?

Yes, that's the more reliable one. If you install custom firmware, you can get an accessory that allows you to use Micro SD instead.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
It's to bad the anniversary editions of the first two Final Fantasy games never made it over to the North American PSN. I'd love to play those version on Vita (legally). The Star Ocean 1 and 2 remakes are on JPN PSN but that's sadly not the case in the west. I always get somewhat annoyed whenever I think about it. It's not like a localization script doesn't exist. Was porting to PS4 and Vita really that much of a pain for them? I've always been curious to try that one other Suikoden PSP game too, but that one also never came over. I've lost all hope for a localization of SaGa Scarlet Grace on current gen platforms. I guess Square doesn't feels its worth giving the IP a strong presence in the west besides what you see on PSN, or not depending on region, and what's on mobile stores. I wanted to play the PSP remake of the first Oreshika game before going into Tainted Bloodlines but I have to see if there's a fan translation. You've never played the Favorite Dear games have you? I've noticed them on PSN but I don't think they're localized.

Oh yeah, it never occurred to me that the reason you guys have the Origins collection on PSN is because you didn't get the Anniversary Editions. Weird!

I've bought the Suikoden PSP game from Japanese PSN, gonna muddle through one day. SaGa will be coming west, but it'll be PS4/Switch/PC I imagine.

Haven't played the Favourite Dear games no. I do believe they're in Japanese - they're visual novels aren't they?

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
So I was looking at getting the Japanese Vita on play Asia. I had some questions:
How reputable is this site?
Was looking at metallic red Vita PCH-2000, this is a good version to get? Saw the 32gig card there, it's a Japanese card. Does that matter?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking at getting the Japanese Vita on play Asia. I had some questions:
Was looking at metallic red Vita PCH-2000, this is a good version to get? Saw the 32gig card there, it's a Japanese card. Does that matter?

It's a reliable store, any version of the Vita is a good one (you'll press O to confirm on asian consoles) and there's no problem with a japanese card. Use a coupon for discount, like GEMATSU (3USD off).

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
It's a reliable store, any version of the Vita is a good one (you'll press O to confirm on asian consoles) and there's no problem with a japanese card. Use a coupon for discount, like GEMATSU (3USD off).
Cool. Thanks for the info. I Just finished ordering right now. I always loved the Vita but ended up selling it later. I'll keep this one for sure. Still many games I didn't play.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA

1) Play-Asia's legit. I've been shopping with them for over ten years and never had an issue with them.
2) Get whichever Vita strikes your fancy!
3) Memory card should be fine. Avoid buying the 64GB one if it's available, as that one has failure issues.

Dec 4, 2018
Hello All! I'm hoping to snatch up a Vita soon and play Persona 4 Golden and Person 3 for the female main character. I think it's really cool that they're releasing a new game on the Vita.

Throwing this out there: I wish Sony opened up Vita development. Or at least take a chance and make it easier for people learning game development, hobbyist, indie dev's etc.. to obtain the SDK and development kit. Give it one last chance to thrive. Leave the platform as a tool towards getting into Playstation development.

Anyone think that could make a difference? Can this idea pay off? Feedback welcome.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello All! I'm hoping to snatch up a Vita soon and play Persona 4 Golden and Person 3 for the female main character. I think it's really cool that they're releasing a new game on the Vita.

Throwing this out there: I wish Sony opened up Vita development. Or at least take a chance and make it easier for people learning game development, hobbyist, indie dev's etc.. to obtain the SDK and development kit. Give it one last chance to thrive. Leave the platform as a tool towards getting into Playstation development.

Anyone think that could make a difference? Can this idea pay off? Feedback welcome.
Given how hard they've worked to make the Vita secure as fuck it'd be a wild move to see them actually pull, but it wouldn't happen, particularly because it'd not work well as an outreach tool with so few out there