• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your most anticipated Vita title of 2018?

• 13 Sentinels

Votes: 125 28.3%
  • Catherine Fullbody

Votes: 160 36.2%
  • Persona 3/5 Dancing

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Muv Luv

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • Code: Realize/Hakuoki

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I did it.

I read every page of this thread lol.

I did have a question. I'm looking to try out VN's as I've never dipped my toes.

What is everyone's top 10 VN on vita?
If I'm going to recommend a first VN on the Vita to you it'd be either 999 as part of The Nonary Games or Danganronpa 1.

Other greats on the system include Steins;Gate, Muv-Luv Trilogy, the Utawarerumono games, and Chaos;Child.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I did it.

I did have a question. I'm looking to try out VN's as I've never dipped my toes.

My favorites are Steins;Gate and Utawarerumono. Both have some lenght at first but damn the finales were so good. I couldn't rank them tho, I just love them equally :p

I still need to play Muv Luv and House of fata morgana, apparently they're very good VN.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
I did it.

Pure Visual Novel:
-Fata Morgana
-Steins;gate
-Chaos;Child
-Muv-Luv (Necessary to play Alternative)
-Muv-Luv Alternative

Hybrid VN:
-Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen
-Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
-Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
It's a trilogy which features battles taking place on a grid similar to Fire Emblem.
PttF is a remake of the first game which released long ago on PC and is coming west early next year. The other two are already out but must be played after the first for maximum enjoyment.

-Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999)
-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last reward
A duology of VN with escape-the-room puzzle part. There is a third game but you don't need to bother yourself with it.

-Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
-Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Adventure/VN where you can explore the map and with gameplay phase similar to the Ace Attorney series.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like everyone has already named the usual suspects. I'd say you absolutely have to try steins;gate, Danganronpa (1), and 999. If you like any or all of them, do the others, too. If you like one, you're in for a treat with the others in each series. I also really recommend Root Double, but it's only available digitally. I don't think it gets as much attention because it's download-only and the file size is really big for a Vita memory card. But it's really good!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc was my GOTY 2014.
Steins;Gate was my GOTY 2015.
The House in Fata Morgana was my GOTY 2016 (played on PC then, now available on Vita).
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception was my GOTY 2017.
Muv-Luv Alternative was my GOTY 2018.

You can't go wrong with these recommendations, be them those games, their prequels, their sequels, their spin-offs, etc. Now I wonder what will be my GOTY 2019.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc was my GOTY 2014.
Steins;Gate was my GOTY 2015.
The House in Fata Morgana was my GOTY 2016 (played on PC then, now available on Vita).
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception was my GOTY 2017.
Muv-Luv Alternative was my GOTY 2018.

You can't go wrong with these recommendations, be them those games, their prequels, their sequels, their spin-offs, etc. Now I wonder what will be my GOTY 2019.

A.I. The Somnium Files? Really stinks Vita has run its course. It's silly, but I was telling my wife yesterday (who has no interest in video games), I really don't enjoy games as much on PS4 or Switch. It seems silly, but the combination of portability with my Sony account made the Vita a perfect gaming device for me.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
So, my one of my joy-cons is in the factory for repair (for that drifting issue you've read so much about), so I brought the vita along for the labor day weekend trip to dig into some Ratchet and Clank 2. I forgot that the only headphones that I brought were my airpods, but lo and behold, the vita works flawlessly with them, no workarounds or dongles necessary. This little thing was so ahead of its time it's crazy.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
A.I. The Somnium Files? Really stinks Vita has run its course. It's silly, but I was telling my wife yesterday (who has no interest in video games), I really don't enjoy games as much on PS4 or Switch. It seems silly, but the combination of portability with my Sony account made the Vita a perfect gaming device for me.

Maybe, but I'm not that big of an Uchikoshi fan. There's still Yu-No, Raging Loop and NG as well, not to mention Fatal Twelve (arriving shortly) and the Grisaia trilogy (Switch release). So far, it's Bloodstained, which is a first in many years since it's not a visual novel.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Damn you eBay bucks deal!

There goes another $300 on Vita since I've been back.

Now the eternal wait for them all to arrive. ~_~

How's everyone Vita'ing doing?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you eBay bucks deal!

There goes another $300 on Vita since I've been back.

Now the eternal wait for them all to arrive. ~_~

How's everyone Vita'ing doing?

I haven't really been buying many new games. None of the recent LRG games have called to me, and I haven't seen many other physical releases that pump me up. But I've been playing through my backlog. It's still probably my favorite gaming hardware. I still like it more than Switch, although the Mana Collection on Switch is just so awesome. Finishing up the DRv3 platinum and going through the Muv-Luv games completely, finally. I started MLE when I got my Kickstarter stuff, but I got sidetracked. I want to go through them now. I'll provably start Utawarerumono when I finish them. I've been trying to put them off until the "first" game comes out next year, but I really just wanna play them already.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
A ton of VNs are on sale with the Big in Japan sale but a huge highlight I want to make is Mary Skelter is currently $4 which is wild. Hop on it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Thanks guys.ill grab Lost Dimension and pass on mana for now.

Is it me or is square kind of greedy with the pricing on some of their games? Even the sale prices are lame.

I'm in Canada and for secret of mana even on sale is still $20.

And Lost Sphear even on sale is still $40!!!

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this sale so much. Gust games are not discounted, Square stuff is still super expensive. $19 for SaGa 2? GTFO :(

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
First Vita games of the month have arrived!
ukPqX49.jpg

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
A ton of VNs are on sale with the Big in Japan sale but a huge highlight I want to make is Mary Skelter is currently $4 which is wild. Hop on it.
I'd definitely recommend Mary Skelter for those who are interested in a dungeon crawler RPG.

It's got some interesting character developed elements to it, and just plenty of fun, especially at that price.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
man, I kinda want to get P4 Golden at that price but I would much rather have a physical version.

hmmm.

*Edit: Crap, that price went up. It was $20 bucks for a physical copy last time I looked.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I just checked my amazon history and I bought it in Oct of 2018 for $20. I lost it in a move and have been meaning to pick it up again.
They were even lower than that before then.

People were having a hard time getting rid of them for even $10.

I saw them floating around with multiple listings all the time on Amazon, and Gamestop had them for around the same price too.

It's definitely one of the titles that I didn't think would jump up like that seeing how available they were.

Hope you're able to find a reasonable priced one eventually.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
They were even lower than that before then.

People were having a hard time getting rid of them for even $10.

I saw them floating around with multiple listings all the time on Amazon, and Gamestop had them for around the same price too.

It's definitely one of the titles that I didn't think would jump up like that seeing how available they were.

Hope you're able to find a reasonable priced one eventually.
Thanks, I think I will hold out until then (though it is tempting at $10).

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Is mary Skelter accesible for newcomers to ths genre? Like a good entry point?

It's cheap enough for impulse buy for me but maybe there's something better in the genre for a first timer?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Vita games always feel great to get physical, since they don't even waste any space when it's physical, so that's not a problem, lol.
So true. I basically have a book case full of Vita games, managed to get around 500 (mainly normal releases, some special editions) on it. I wanted to get Metal Slug 3 and a couple of other late LRG releases but they sell out in seconds now and I cant be bothered. Might grab them on the secondary market down the line or just be satisfied with what I have. I kinda lost the hunger for collecting when 100 other limited physical places popped up all over the place with games I'd never want to own physically.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

It's cheap enough for impulse buy for me but maybe there's something better in the genre for a first timer?
It depends on how familiar you are with RPGs in general.

It's fairly accessible, and decent tutorial at the beginning, so you should be able to pick it up as far as you have the basic idea of RPGs down.

There will be some elements that will be specific to this game, but the tutorial will cover them as they happen along the way, so should be alright.
So true. I basically have a book case full of Vita games, managed to get around 500 (mainly normal releases, some special editions) on it. I wanted to get Metal Slug 3 and a couple of other late LRG releases but they sell out in seconds now and I cant be bothered. Might grab them on the secondary market down the line or just be satisfied with what I have. I kinda lost the hunger for collecting when 100 other limited physical places popped up all over the place with games I'd never want to own physically.
Yeah, I know how you feel.

I just collect for fun for the most part. Trying to do completionist now is just a losing battle, so not worth the trouble in any case. :D

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how familiar you are with RPGs in general.

It's fairly accessible, and decent tutorial at the beginning, so you should be able to pick it up as far as you have the basic idea of RPGs down.

There will be some elements that will be specific to this game, but the tutorial will cover them as they happen along the way, so should be alright.

Yeah, I know how you feel.

I just collect for fun for the most part. Trying to do completionist now is just a losing battle, so not worth the trouble in any case. :D

I had a full Euro collection for quite a while but between some games getting belated (and incredibly rare) Euro releases months after I'd imported the American versions and all these limited releases I just gave up. Wasn't worth the trouble. I just buy/play for fun now and I feel my collection is basically complete. I can't see me ever collecting like this again for a platform, I mean the Switch has sorta continued on with what I love about the Vita but a full collection on that is even now daunting!

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I had a full Euro collection for quite a while but between some games getting belated (and incredibly rare) Euro releases months after I'd imported the American versions and all these limited releases I just gave up. Wasn't worth the trouble. I just buy/play for fun now and I feel my collection is basically complete. I can't see me ever collecting like this again for a platform, I mean the Switch has sorta continued on with what I love about the Vita but a full collection on that is even now daunting!
If it stops being fun, then it's become a job instead of a hobby.

I think even at my peak, I never really went for the completionist thing because I knew it'd start becoming a hassle, rather than just making the purchases I want without having to think too hard about it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If it stops being fun, then it's become a job instead of a hobby.

I think even at my peak, I never really went for the completionist thing because I knew it'd start becoming a hassle, rather than just making the purchases I want without having to think too hard about it.
Agreed. I enjoyed my time collecting for the Vita but now I can sit back and just play through all the games I have! And with Halloween on the way I finally plan on going through the second Yamowari game I picked up last year. Really looking forward to this one!

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
This thread jolted back to life. How lovely!

Been out of the Vita loop for a month or so due to personal stuff but getting back into it now. Just finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta and making progress on Metal Gear Solid 3

Oct 26, 2017

Depends on the difficulty really. Anything lower than nightmare difficulty and you'll likely breeze through it, same as most EXP drpgs on the system. For nightmare it only stays a challenge until about midway through the game and in the postgame dungeon, which you won't just be able to aoe nuke everything down before they get a turn. I'd put it around the middle of the pack in terms drpgs that I've played on Vita.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This thread jolted back to life. How lovely!

Been out of the Vita loop for a month or so due to personal stuff but getting back into it now. Just finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta and making progress on Metal Gear Solid 3
It came back when I came back.

Coincidence?
tenor.gif

Also, just check my trackings on incoming stuff today, and another one of my Vita stuffs should be here later today.

Whoop!

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I picked up a new Vita just about when JPN production shut down. I've grabbed a decent amount of games, but like all gaming, finding time to actually play the games has been more of a challenge.

I put ~5 hours into Gravity Rush, which I liked but haven't come back to. Ys Celceta and FFX are about the same. I got my ass kicked by the first boss in Salt and Sanctuary several times, still need to go back and beat his ass (aka survive long enough to defeat him). 3 hours into Shantae HG Hero and want to play more. I haven't yet touched Bloodstained: COM, Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, MGS 2/3...ugh. Disposable time > disposable income (for gaming at least). *stares longingly into college years many years ago*

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a new Vita just about when JPN production shut down. I've grabbed a decent amount of games, but like all gaming, finding time to actually play the games has been more of a challenge.

I put ~5 hours into Gravity Rush, which I liked but haven't come back to. Ys Celceta and FFX are about the same. I got my ass kicked by the first boss in Salt and Sanctuary several times, still need to go back and beat his ass (aka survive long enough to defeat him). 3 hours into Shantae HG Hero and want to play more. I haven't yet touched Bloodstained: COM, Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, MGS 2/3...ugh. Disposable time > disposable income (for gaming at least). *stares longingly into college years many years ago*
Time is always a bane of my backlog.

Only so many hours in a day, even when I have free time, it just takes a lot of that time up, lol.