• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Seems like the summer sale and following permanent price drop to $399 for Oculus Rift did some wonders in addition to strong releases like Lone Echo.
Vive also received a permanent price-drop to $600 not long ago. It also has some clear upgrades coming in the near future (w/tracking 2.0 technology and Knuckles controllers) which might influence current sales

https://uploadvr.com/vive-rift-usage-nearly-tied-october-steam-hardware-survey/
Over the past few months Valve's Steam Hardware and Software Survey has shown the Oculus Rift catching up to its biggest competitor, the HTC Vive, in terms of usage. As of October 2017, it appears the two are almost neck-and-neck.

Vive now has 48.76% of the total VR usage on Steam, down from 50.16% last month. Rift, meanwhile, is up to 47.61%, a small increase over last months 46.87%. That means there's now just over a percent between the two. Biting your fingernails, yet?

By all accounts it has been ~2:1 usage (Vive : Oculus) for the last year or so.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Windows Mixed Reality will take a good chunk once the support is released this holiday
Since its cheaper and easier to get going

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I wonder how many headsets they've sold total.

Well on the October Hardware the VR headsets are 0.25% total of all the users in the survey.

Value state 67 million active monthly users here - https://www.geekwire.com/2017/valve-reveals-steams-monthly-active-user-count-game-sales-region/ and the survey is monthly we can say 0.25% of 67 million gives us a estimate of 1,675,000 between both Vive and Rifts (inc DK1 and DK2) as a rough estimate.

Of course 1.675 million isn't active users of VR per month which is a different but more relevant metric, just that they have a VR headset attached to their PC.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I imagine Windows Mixed Reality will take a good chunk once the support is released this holiday
Since its cheaper and easier to get going
I hope Valve integrates metrics for those.

Personally, with the current Oculus price, I don't really see them making a splash in the gaming market.

Also, hurry up LG.

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
Oculus likely has more then as some Oculus users may not use steam at all and just use the Oculus store.