• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.viz.com/wsj-member

The digital Magazine version of Shonen Jump is coming to an end in a week, and instead all new chapters each week of the series they license (including My Hero Academia, One Piece, Promised Neverland, etc) will be posted for free in the Viz app and website day and date with Japan. Chapters will stay up for 3 weeks. You will now be able to get a 1.99 a month Subscription that includes 10,000+ chapters "Catch up on hit series like One Piece, My Hero Academia, Dragon Ball Super and Boruto. Reread favorites like Naruto, Bleach and Death Note, or discover hot new series like The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, and more. "

As someone who has been a reader or subscriber to Shonen Jump in some form since 2003, this is kind of bittersweet, but having a legal, legitimate result when a kid types "Read My Hero Academia" into Google is a good thing, and if they constantly add stuff to the subscription, $1.99 is going to be a steal. I was just thinking earlier today that I wanted to read Bakuman- it would cost me over $100 to buy it digitally, but now it's possible I can just read it for 1.99!
EDIT: 100 chapters a day restriction

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that sub sounds amazing.

I could actually read all of One Piece legally for just $2 a month? (and hundreds and hundreds of hours)

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't check out the link. Did they say what will happen to people who currently subscribe? I only subscribed in October so I would have had 9 months left.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is huge, never expected that and at that price as well.

For people planning to subscribe don't sleep on Dr.Stone and The Promised Neverland.

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.viz.com/wsj-member

The digital Magazine version of Shonen Jump is coming to an end in a week, and instead all new chapters each week of the series they license (including My Hero Academia, One Piece, Promised Neverland, etc) will be posted for free in the Viz app and website day and date with Japan. Chapters will stay up for 3 weeks. You will now be able to get a 1.99 a month Subscription that includes 10,000+ chapters "Catch up on hit series like One Piece, My Hero Academia, Dragon Ball Super and Boruto. Reread favorites like Naruto, Bleach and Death Note, or discover hot new series like The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, and more. "

As someone who has been a reader or subscriber to Shonen Jump in some form since 2003, this is kind of bittersweet, but having a legal, legitimate result when a kid types "Read My Hero Academia" into Google is a good thing, and if they constantly add stuff to the subscription, $1.99 is going to be a steal. I was just thinking earlier today that I wanted to read Bakuman- it would cost me over $100 to buy it digitally, but now it's possible I can just read it for 1.99!
EDIT: 100 chapters a day restriction

Regions are

Shonen Jump memberships are available in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this on Twitter and if the $2/month thing is legit, I'm in.

I've devoured CR's manga over the past few years - it's why I keep my sub because I watch anime so rarely - and I'd love to dig into some Jump manga.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very smart move on their part given that the fan translations were omnipresent.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds amazing. Really seems like they are making the right moves to combat scans.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
"(Note: Members who obtain refunds on their annual subscriptions will be ineligible to receive any outstanding Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG promotional cards.)"

Is oddly hilarious to read.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Getting the latest chapters for free on the official app sure as hell beats navigating scanlation sites that are full of shady pop-ups, scripts, ads, etc.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Unless I'm missing something, this seems so much better than the old subscription. Really great value.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking god. Is this the ENTIRE catalogue for 2 dollars a month? That's insane! I'm all in on this, I love reading OP! Even 100 chapters a day... Fucking amazing!

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really good idea. Now people don't have to commit so much money to get into or catch up with a series.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This will make certain sites completely irrelevant. I wonder if those sites will give up their efforts on those titles.

Also, $1.99/month is goddamn reasonable. I can't believe that. I wonder what the digital price in Japan is, seeing as it costs ~$5/week at the newsstand. Also, charge a bit more and give me access to your entire archive, Viz.

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, shame about no more Yu-gi-oh cards going forward. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this change.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is great! I had 5 months left on my subscription. And I get 3 months after that for free too!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to be an overall scanlation killer since it's just Jump, but goddamn is this probably the best attempt I've seen in doing so.

Even the "caveat" is meaningless, at least to me. I used to heavy binge years ago, and even then I felt like I ran a marathon after 30 chapters. I can't imagine ripping through 100 and not being able to wait a day for more.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I'll definitely sub to this for day and date MHA, Black Clover and Promised Neverland chapters. That's a great deal and removes quite a bit of hassle.

I guess it depends on how quickly they're released, too.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gonna sign up even though ill probably never use it. my nephew might use my account though.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you are robbing Viz at that price. amazing. My fiance was just thinking about spending $360 to finish her digital One Piece collection.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
This will make certain sites completely irrelevant. I wonder if those sites will give up their efforts on those titles.

Also, $1.99/month is goddamn reasonable. I can't believe that. I wonder what the digital price in Japan is, seeing as it costs ~$5/week at the newsstand. Also, charge a bit more and give me access to your entire archive, Viz.
Scan sites will still get by with early chapters

OP
OP
Bigkrev

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking god. Is this the ENTIRE catalogue for 2 dollars a month? That's insane! I'm all in on this, I love reading OP! Even 100 chapters a day... Fucking amazing!

I mean, they are saying 10,000 chapters, and One Piece by iteslf is nearly 10% of that number. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only the series they specificly mention in the story with maybe a few more at the start. The hope will be that they continuously update it. something like adding 1 longer series and a few small things each month.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn that's a good deal. Been supporting English Jump for over 15 years. Will follow them here as well.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely sub to this for day and date MHA, Black Clover and Promised Neverland chapters. That's a great deal and removes quite a bit of hassle.

I guess it depends on how quickly they're released, too.
If the schedule remains the same, new chapters will come out on Monday at 11am ET.
I feel like you are robbing Viz at that price. amazing.
Yo okay I swear to god this is how I've always felt about their sub since I started subbing last year and now it's down from $3 to $2. But I didn't want to say it cause if feels too salesman-y lmao. And yeah I've been slowly collecting One Piece volumes while I re-read and this makes things easier for me cause I have 52 volumes left to buy until I'm complete which would cost me $364. But now...it's just $2 a month...

Oct 27, 2017
$2 a month seems incredibly cheap, even if it's only a handful of series at start.

But they really need to do something about that shitty Flash-based reader. They'll have a hard time competing with scan sites when the reading experience is so much worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow, interesting. I've subscribed to the digital weekly Jump for the past two years...it already cost about 24 bucks a year, so this works out the same in the end and is a better deal, so that's awesome by me.

Mar 3, 2018
Question ; I've been thinking about getting into reading One Piece from the start. Does this mean I can pay $2 a month and have access to all of One Piece?