• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
They seem like pretty separate endeavours, presumably manga plus will start selling volumes eventually since I think ads + back catalogue sales is the business model for the Japanese app its based on?
Ultimately, from the little I know about Manga+, you may be right. But as things stands right now the two apps are certainly similar. Both have huge gaps, both will offer some way to buy volumes.
Indeed, if what little I understood of this mess is right, Viz would be more of a Netflix thing and Manga+ would be a lot more traditional, with only the last 3 chapters of a series available and possibility to buy volumes.
But both app are not nearly as finished as they should. UI is lacking and individual manga license is throwing some wrench into the cogs something fierce.

If each company doesn't change its mind, the future looks bright, but the path to it is frustrating.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Oh. That's... really unfortunate. I think I want to say something but I have a hard time processing the news. I guess I can see the logic here. Wait, not really.
Ok.

What a strange manga landscape between this and the Manga+ app. It's obvious things will normalize and there would evidently be growing pains, but yeah, fuck.

It sucks for the few series caught in the middle of the transition (act age, jujutsu, haikyuu, and demon slayer for viz. sumo, david, and japan for plus) but it'll only be an issue in the short run.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately, from the little I know about Manga+, you may be right. But as things stands right now the two apps are certainly similar. Both have huge gaps, both will offer some way to buy volumes.
Indeed, if what little I understood of this mess is right, Viz would be more of a Netflix thing and Manga+ would be a lot more traditional, with only the last 3 chapters of a series available and possibility to buy volumes.
But both app are not nearly as finished as they should. UI is lacking and individual manga license is throwing some wrench into the cogs something fierce.

If each company doesn't change its mind, the future looks bright, but the path to it is frustrating.
Viz probably just doesn't want to do the same work twice, newer series shouldn't have the same problems. The gaps in series is just a consequence of the old SJ subscription not picking up every series.

But yeah the SJ app is a subscription for the back catalog from Viz and is only available in a few countries.

Manga Plus is direct from Shueisha and is available in a lot more countries and in Spanish.

Both offer recent chapters for free

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just remembered that I still haven't used the free bonus time they gave me with this for being a previous subscriber and figured I should at least jam in a small series or two before the month ends, but there's STILL no Fire app far as I can tell, and when I tried the workaround of forcing the Google Play store onto my device... it doesn't show up on there, and when I downloaded the app on my phone and then checked on the linked account on the tablet, I get "your device isn't compatible with this version." Any help, or do I need to use the extra janky method of doing it through a browser to read on my tablet? (Really is lame that they STILL don't have proper Fire support.)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Man, I just remembered that I still haven't used the free bonus time they gave me with this for being a previous subscriber and figured I should at least jam in a small series or two before the month ends, but there's STILL no Fire app far as I can tell, and when I tried the workaround of forcing the Google Play store onto my device... it doesn't show up on there, and when I downloaded the app on my phone and then checked on the linked account on the tablet, I get "your device isn't compatible with this version." Any help, or do I need to use the extra janky method of doing it through a browser to read on my tablet? (Really is lame that they STILL don't have proper Fire support.)

Are you looking for the Shonen Jump app or something? Because I'm pretty sure Fire has a Viz app.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Are you looking for the Shonen Jump app or something? Because I'm pretty sure Fire has a Viz app.
Yeah, and that's what I've used to read the weekly stuff for forever, but unless they added it somehow and I can't find it, it's impossible to access the backlog a subscription unlocks in that app.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, and that's what I've used to read the weekly stuff for forever, but unless they added it somehow and I can't find it, it's impossible to access the backlog a subscription unlocks in that app.

Ah, you're right. I still have a subscription and I can't see the non free chapters even logging in. The app doesn't seem to have been updated since May 2018...

The app kind of sucks anyway. At least on my ipad, it gets "stuck" between pages quite frequently.