• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It also seems like they may have released a hint at a new Steam controller prototype, alongside a blue PCB that is different than the current green one in more than just color.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
You can hear the excitement in Tyler's voice (the dude from the video). Following Valve can be rough sometimes but there's definitely something going here. Gabe's comment about making new games might have been mocked here, but that plus the Campo Santo buy, the Artifact previews and the new site and branding... That's a lot.

To be honest just seeing In the Valley of Gods on their website listed as upcoming game makes me excited.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
If I remember correctly, Gaben said in the press conference about Artifact that they are pretty jealous of Nintendo, as they make hardware around their software.
I think that's an indication that they are going to launch pretty soon in-house hardware with SteamOS and their VR solutions (Knuckles controllers and VR headset).

The Steam controller & Steam Link were just them getting their feet wet.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for new stuff from Valve, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see some actual announcements from them. We've been getting HL3 leaks since like 2009 and L4D3 leaks since like 2012. I've given up on getting excited from their leaks.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Valve logo is red now, Steam has Switch Pro controller support, Gabe talked about being jealous of Nintendo. It's happening, Nintendo has purchased Valve.

Anyways, I'm excited to see whatever is happening at Valve but like always I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic and not expect a lot. I would like to think something is gonna be said soon with e3 around the corner but eh, best just to wait and see.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
I don't believe Valve will do again big games like HL2.
They buziness is no more big games, but faster and more easy to make multiplayer games like L4D or Dota.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Here are some screenshots from their new site before it got taken down:

lvKC3PDDjGk.jpg

PUmM2hW4Yps.jpg

xGdOXtHZDuc.jpg

Here's the video that plays on the homepage:
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/valvesoftware/images/videos/hero_fullsize.mp4

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe Valve will do again big games like HL2.
They buziness is no more big games, but faster and more easy to make multiplayer games like L4D or Dota.

If they can find the right hook, and that hook could be VR, I think they would make another Half-Life just to close he book on it.

And I'd consider a L4D3 a big game anyway.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Value needs to rebrand themselves at this point, from a personal standpoint when ever I think about either steam or valve I just end up feeling angry. They quit making games but they also flooded the hell out of steam with so much garbage I can't even respect it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Is Valve attending E3?

There are a few Valve folk going to E3, but I think they are just doing a roundtable discussion with any interested developers

Valve logo is red now, Steam has Switch Pro controller support, Gabe talked about being jealous of Nintendo. It's happening, Nintendo has purchased Valve.

Anyways, I'm excited to see whatever is happening at Valve but like always I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic and not expect a lot. I would like to think something is gonna be said soon with e3 around the corner but eh, best just to wait and see.

There were quite a few places where it is just Black.
Also the red logo has been used in the GDC talks this year. Apparently "the folks who worked on the new website did the styling" for those slides. So I don't think this means anything particular.
I don't think they are "rebranding" but they are going to launch a bunch of things along with the updates to Steam itself

Value needs to rebrand themselves at this point, from a personal standpoint when ever I think about either steam or valve I just end up feeling angry. They quit making games but they also flooded the hell out of steam with so much garbage I can't even respect it.

These are the best things about Valve imo. They alter the company to fit into whatever they want to do. Now they do a lot of hardware stuff (and it sounds like a lot more of this will be revealed soon), have games in development and already active. The store being open to lots of smaller titles and so many niches is fantastic for so many people who want to discover new and interesting games and concepts. I still to this day can't surface "trash" without a lot of effort, and no one is able to demonstrate their own Steam pages being "flooded" with trash

Last edited:

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

This meme again... and it's been argued a hundred times but curation could be horrible for indie games. Just because they aren't making single player games that will make them less money doesn't mean they aren't making games...

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Huh, very interesting. I knew a new Steam interface is in the works but I'm surprised that they've been planning a whole re-branding

Very curious to see where this will lead to

Nov 1, 2017
Good for them. I just wish they would interact a bit more. They usually have a "you'll take it and you'll like it!" attitude when it comes to questionable decisions.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
If they can find the right hook, and that hook could be VR, I think they would make another Half-Life just to close he book on it.

And I'd consider a L4D3 a big game anyway.
It's lot of work to make a good single player game, and there is no big VR single player games , just some modded games like Skyrim and Fallout 4.
I'm not sure Valve will take the risk to put lot of money in a single player VR game, because VR is not enough popular and most people play PC games.
Well, we'll see at E3, but i really expect nothing from Valve.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is going to change everything again. Let's go!

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Valve is so fascinating, just because they are so unpredictable. I'm really curious to see what they have in store.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
If I remember correctly, Gaben said in the press conference about Artifact that they are pretty jealous of Nintendo, as they make hardware around their software.
I think that's an indication that they are going to launch pretty soon in-house hardware with SteamOS and their VR solutions (Knuckles controllers and VR headset).

wait do you have that quote? interesting, I want to read more about this press conference

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait do you have that quote? interesting, I want to read more about this press conference

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo, when Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-hooray-valves-going-to-start-shipping-games-again/

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Interesting. Valve must be aware that other big companies are trying to get a piece of the huge PC gaming cake. Big publishers are raising their own clients and aren't releasing their games on Steam anymore. EA tries to be first with a broad subscription service. Microsoft is building their gaming services into Windows 10. And there's Tencent, God knows what that company wants.

Tldr; Valve gets more and more competition, so they'll have to become more competitive as well.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

This is one of those "Gamez Journalism" moments, where many sites opted for hyperbole and clickbait and then didn't bother to provide the full context. Gabe was discussing what Valve have been up to over the past few years and why they hadn't been shipping games and are now starting to do so again

Gabe said what he said multiple times before - they had jealousy for Nintendo because they could develop hardware and software simultaneously.

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

The actual new interesting bit from the talk is that they have now developed this capability internally and that this will be utilised going forward with their games / hardware.

He also discussed how a lot of their time has been on developments to maintain PC openness:

"You can see that Microsoft was like, wow, how can we make Windows more like that? Or Zuckerberg is saying, 'well I tried to compete in the phones, I got my ass kicked, so I'm going to create this new thing, VR, which will allow me to recreate the kind of closed, high margin ecosystem that Apple's done.' And that really started to worry us, because we thought that the strength of the PC is about its openness … So we started to make some investments to offset that."

"Those investments, Newell said, meant they hadn't released a new game since Dota 2—but that work wasn't wasted time.The positive thing about the Vive is, in addition to making sure that nobody created an iOS closed platform for it, was also that it gave us the opportunity to develop our in-house expertise in hardware design. Five years ago, we didn't have electrical engineers and people who know how to do robots. Now there's pretty much no project in the hardware space that we wouldn't be comfortable taking on. We can design chips if we need to, we can do industrial design, and so on. So that added to that."

To me the most interesting bit is that they are putting forward the idea of Valve now getting back to shipping games, Artifact being the first of many. This is also on their new website which claims:

We have some new games in the works, too. A couple have been announced (Artifact and In the Valley of Gods shown), while others remain top secret

This is also shown off a bit in the video in the background of the new site, which has a lot of hardware fab stuff in there (and a cool glimpse of the Lighthouse testing array that they call the "Deathstar")

Last edited:

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. Red. And some shit on a vr headset. Lol

Doesn't really look like much of anything to me.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Ah yes, the famous garbage flood that the only people who sees it are those actively looking for it... Or those who dont even use steam.

Mar 23, 2018
I was expecting their new Steam UI to release soon(for months, now), but this means it's something bigger than that? That's not something I was expecting, but I'm looking forward to it.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
This is one of those "Gamez Journalism" moments, where many sites opted for hyperbole and clickbait and then didn't bother to provide the full context. Gabe was discussing what Valve have been up to over the past few years and why they hadn't been shipping games and are now starting to do so again

Gabe said what he said multiple times before - they had jealousy for Nintendo because they could develop hardware and software simultaneously [...]

That's pretty much what I understood.

I remember too a user here in Resetera said that he knows Valve's gonna release something soon related to SteamOS, but that he couldn't provide more info since he's under a NDA.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018
These guys are definitely preparing to reboot a couple things. More office space, a quality dev buyout, VR coming into its own. They are definitely gonna drop some bombs in the coming years. Who knows when...

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting Left Dead 3 for ages, so I truly hope this is Valve trying to get back into the game development market.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can hear the excitement in Tyler's voice (the dude from the video).

I noticed this too and it made me pretty happy. It's fun listening to Tyler get excited and then near the end heavily tempering his expectations just in case. But regardless, his optimism is still huge. I totally get where he's coming from.

The stuff going on in the websites background video has me really excited. They seem to have so much going on in the hardware space.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmm. Stuff. Streaming to mobiles. Maybe new steam controller. New UI. Hardware. New look. What's going on over there.

Valve is most interesting to watch right now.