• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

While yes, this does apply to PoC roles (too often do white actors voice PoC characters), it's not just that. If anything, PoC voice actors don't really get to do many roles beyond the PoC roles they do get. Granted, a lot of this falls more on the casting directors, but Stephanie is calling on VAs to do what they can on their end (barring NDAs getting in the way, of course). There has been some recent progress on this front, as newer black actors like Zeno Robinson have been getting roles like Hawks in My Hero Academia & Ross in Fire Emblem Heroes. But more can be done, & I hope that Stephanie's message doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Source: Stephanie Sheh (Twitter)

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Voice acting is an incredibly difficult career. Unless you're in the biz permanently (Troy Baker, Laura Bailey), then I don't see anyone turning down acting roles. It's a all super competitive.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
on the one hand i understand it, on the other hand if you are struggling paying rent you cannot simply turn down stuff, if you are rich its another story.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
e9f582244b8ad2926f885d2895a06081.gif

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd appreciate if the ethic minorities characters in games were actually voiced by ethnic minorities...

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I'd appreciate if the ethic minorities characters in games were actually voiced by ethnic minorities...
I am reminded of Tommy Earl Jenkins' astonishingly good performance as the unfortunately-named Die-Hardman. I don't understand the reluctance to use actual ethnic minorities to voice ethnic minorities.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
What I'm most curious about is how often POC actually are considered for non-POC roles?

Famously Laura Bailey played a South African POC in Uncharted 4 though my understanding is that she was cast before the character was physically designed as a POC.

However, given how her ethnicity in real life doesn't come out at all in the character it does make me wonder how many roles POC don't even get considered for despite being more than capable of playing roles that don't fit with their ethnic background?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I am reminded of Tommy Earl Jenkins' astonishingly good performance as the unfortunately-named Die-Hardman. I don't understand the reluctance to use actual ethnic minorities to voice ethnic minorities.
imo the absolute HIGHEST peak of videogame acting.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Agreed. Even looking at a recent game like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, all 3 of its PoC characters (Claude, Dedue, & Cyril) are voiced by white actors in English.

m9hjuqs.png
Oq2LuO9.png
nLklfcW.png

Like I said, this falls more on the casting director than the actors themselves. But if NDAs permit, I honestly wish that they turned down those roles & let fellow PoC actors take them up.

What I'm most curious about is how often POC actually are considered for non-POC roles?

Famously Laura Bailey played a South African POC in Uncharted 4 though my understanding is that she was cast before the character was physically designed as a POC.

However, given how her ethnicity in real life doesn't come out at all in the character it does make me wonder how many roles POC don't even get considered for despite being more than capable of playing roles that don't fit with their ethnic background?
I actually provided some examples in the OP, albeit for the same voice actor (Zeno Robinson).

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These non PoC actors are also trying to make a living and VO is not an easy career, this should not be their responsibility, but the casting directors to involve more PoC in all role oportunities.

May 19, 2020
"Turn down roles"? It's an idea that seems to not fit into the reality of the competitive world of voice acting. My understanding is it's incredibly hard to get a breakout role and fledgling VAs will take any work they can get. Principles are nice but they don't feed your family or round out your resume as an actor.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
These non PoC actors are also trying to make a living and VO is not an easy career, this should not be their responsibility, but the casting directors to involve more PoC in all role oportunities.
I have mentioned numerous times that situations like this are mostly the casting director's fault than the actors, even in other threads. But I do believe that those who are in the position to should do what they can to promote PoC VAs, as it tends to be even harder for them to break into the industry, especially for them to get non-PoC roles.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Even looking at a recent game like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, all 3 of its PoC characters (Claude, Dedue, & Cyril) are voiced by white actors in English.

m9hjuqs.png
Oq2LuO9.png
nLklfcW.png

Like I said, this falls more on the casting director than the actors themselves. But if NDAs permit, I honestly wish that they turned down those roles & let fellow PoC actors take them up.

I actually provided some examples in the OP, albeit for the same voice actor (Zeno Robinson).

Okay that just depressed the fuck outta me. Jesus

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yes..............Laura Bailey

shit will forever be in my head how the fuck they thought that was a great idea.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have mentioned numerous times that situations like this are mostly the casting director's fault than the actors, even in other threads. But I do believe that those who are in the position to should do what they can to promote PoC VAs.

I agree that there is stuff they can do to support their fellow PoC VAs, but at the end it is always the casting director's fault, not the actor. Even if they suggest a PoC to the diretor, or give up their role, that doesn't mean that the director will end up picking the PoC.

Using Laura Bailey for Nadene was bad, and she is actually in a career place where she could refuse the role honestly. But at the end, I blame more the directors for considering her for the role in the 1st place.

Edit: Did not know she was designed after Laura was already cast, that kind of changes things and the blame goes even more on the directors.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Whilst I understand the sentiment, I don't think it's right to blame the general worker and place all the burden of change (I'm referring to the 'turn down offers' thing not the other three which I think are great things to do) on them when the situation is very much created by the companies, directors, etc they work for. Of course there's always exceptions, Laura Bailey could have easily have stepped down from playing Nadine and given that role to a PoC, but in most cases the VA simply isn't in a financial position to just 'turn down' offers like that. Creative Directors need to put more PoC characters into their games, casting directors need to consider more PoC actors at the start of the process, and publishers need to stop with the notion that they need to make their game "more relateable" by focusing on the 'status quo' of straight white men.

And, really, hiring a PoC to play a PoC ain't even a sacrifice, it's an incredibly easy thing ffs. Like they're wanting the positive PR from the representation but don't actually want to give the people they're representing any money...

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be a case of the fine line between "good if you did" vs "bad if you didn't".

Would I applaud a non-POC person who stepped down to make space? Sure. Am I going to hold non-POC people to that, to think less of them if they make moves which further their career otherwise? Absolutely not.

Far more of whatever responsibility that is here, which I'm honestly uncertain of, I'm going to place on casting directors.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Ask Naughty Dog, she was designed after Laura Bailey was cast.

They made a casting call for a character who was based out of South Africa...........................an area that is 80%+ black...............come on, they had a general idea. I still don't believe that Druckman dancing excuse. His quote basically knew what he was creating and envisioning in the character.

"When we cast this character, we had no final look for the character. We just kind of had who she is, the army she runs, and that she was from South Africa so we sent out a vague casting call to all sorts of agents, including Laura's agent. We brought in to audition black actors, white actors, American actors, actors from South Africa… and a lot of them were really good," Druckmann said. "Then Laura walks in and just kills it. And I'm there with a casting director, editor, and a co-writer and we're all just floored about how good she was, and there was no question in our mind that was Nadine."

But alright...........I will give Laura the benefit on that one. Still probably wasn't the greatest call though knowing what you were somewhat going to be portraying there.

May 19, 2020
I'm not going to place blame on Laura Bailey for doing a role that was likely earned in audition without a full image of the character. Walking away is also not so simple if contracts and unions are involved, with potential legal, fiscal and career risks for walking.

It's Naughty Dog's fault.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

m9hjuqs.png
Oq2LuO9.png
nLklfcW.png

Don't forget Hapi.

www.behindthevoiceactors.com

Hapi

See image of Christine Marie Cabanos, the English dub voice of Hapi in Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Video Game).

Not that I have a stake in the argument. Just making more folks aware of the characters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but what ethnicity are those characters suppose to be?
They're all of fictional ethnicities, but they're all clearly coded as people of color who faced various forms of racism. Claude in particular was originally named Khalid but changed his name to Claude when he moved to FĂłdlan.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Have to disagree with the whole "Laura Bailey was cast before the design was finalised" thing, they had an idea of what they wanted, and she didn't fit the character. Her accent was distracting and all I could hear was Bailey. I do like her as an actress and she really did her best with trying to nail the accent, but this was Naughty Dog's poor choice. I think this discussion should also encompass popular VAs who are cast in absolutely everything, leading to many samey sounding characters.

Editing to emphasize that Laura Bailey really is a talented VA, I have no issue with her, or her performance of Nadine. And if I were to chip in re: the topic, I don't think it's fair to expect struggling VAs to turn down good opportunities - but studios should totally be put in their place over these choices.

Nov 2, 2017

m9hjuqs.png
Oq2LuO9.png
nLklfcW.png

Wait, these characters are supposed to be PoC? Did people accept this? At best they look somewhat mediterranean. I think it's actually pretty offensive to feature "white" people and call them PoC. It's an easy way to put some PoC characters in your game. Not the first time I see this in Japanese games.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
They're all of fictional ethnicities, but they're all clearly coded as people of color who faced various forms of racism. Claude in particular was originally named Khalid but changed his name to Claude when he moved to FĂłdlan.
Thanks!
Anime visuals are weird to me, cause characters having white/light skin are clearly not meant to represent european/caucasian people. Would it not make sense for them to be voiced by asian VAs?

May 19, 2020
Have to disagree with the whole "Laura Bailey was cast before the design was finalised" thing, they had an idea of what they wanted, and she didn't fit the character. Her accent was distracting and all I could hear was Bailey. I do like her as an actress and she really did her best with trying to nail the accent, but this was Naughty Dog's poor choice. I think this discussion should also encompass popular VAs who are cast in absolutely everything, leading to many samey sounding characters.
You are free to dislike her performance but the character not being finalized was the reality and is quite common in the industry. With NDAs and the game industry's general obsession with secrecy sometimes actors don't even know what they're actually auditioning for.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Sorry, but this is stupid.

You are putting the pressure on the wrong people.

You are going after the voice actors because those are the faces you know, those are the names you remember. That's a target you can point at.

That is wrong. You need to demand better casting from the company that does the casting. You need to demand better representation from the people that actually PICK the voice actors. You need to remind the companies that HIRE the company that does the voice acting for their games that this is important for you.

You don't tell a working actor to refuse a paying job on a difficult industry so that maybe someone else ( a POC ) Might get a shot. This is asinine, will not fix the problem, will not improve the situation.

I already don't like the "roles you don't fit" mentality. Sometimes Voice actors don't know what their characters look like when they are cast. and sometimes you DO have NDA's that might hold them to not say anything when they do. Not only that, but if you go that way you invite it both ways. With great POC actors not being allowed to aim for non POC Characters becuase they will also "Not fit". Specially when you consider that we already have a low account of POC characters, specially main characters in games... and guess what "do more POC characters then!" might sound like an answer to you, and of course it would be great, but that is not how you do it!

Promote great POC voice actors, remember the companies that this is important to you and go put the pressure on the right people to bring MORE of them into the work instead of putting the pressure on people that are simply doing the job they were hired to do and that are trying to make it too. Don't demonize voice actores for doing their jobs. That is stupid.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wait, these characters are supposed to be PoC? Did people accept this? At best they look somewhat mediterranean. I think it's actually pretty offensive to feature "white" people and call them PoC. It's an easy way to put some PoC characters in your game. Not the first time I see this in Japanese games.
Like I said...

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
You are free to dislike her performance but the character not being finalized was the reality and is quite common in the industry. With NDAs and the game industry's general obsession with secrecy sometimes actors don't even know what they're actually auditioning for.

I'm disagreeing because I don't think Bailey's voice fits the archetype they were going for with the foundation of the character, not because of her skin colour or appearance. These factors only worsen the problem.

May 19, 2020
Sorry, but this is stupid.

You are putting the pressure on the wrong people.

You are going after the voice actors because those are the faces you know, those are the names you remember. That's a target you can point at.

That is wrong. You need to demand better casting from the company that does the casting. You need to demand better representation from the people that actually PICK the voice actors. You need to remind the companies that HIRE the company that does the voice acting for their games that this is important for you.

You don't tell a working actor to refuse a paying job on a difficult industry so that maybe someone else ( a POC ) Might get a shot. This is asinine, will not fix the problem, will not improve the situation.

I already don't like the "roles you don't fit" mentality. Sometimes Voice actors don't know what their characters look like when they are cast. Not only that, but if you go that way you invite it both ways. With great POC actors not being allowed to aim for non POC Characters becuase they will also "Not fit". Specially when you consider that we already have a low account of POC characters, specially main characters in games... and guess what "do more POC characters then!" might sound like an answer to you, and of course it would be great, but that is not how you do it!

Promote great POC voice actors, remember the companies that this is important to you and go put the pressure on the right people to bring MORE of them into the work instead of putting the pressure on people that are simply doing the job they were hired to do and that are trying to make it too. Don't demonize voice actores for doing their jobs. That is stupid.
Yes, calling on the actors to fix systemic problems that generally come from the higher power structures (casting agencies, game developers, voice directors) is misguided and unhelpful. The turning down roles thing is just weird for an actor to say and suggests to me this person is in some kind of privilege bubble.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
The Uncharted situation is interesting to say the least.

It's a fine line to rectify, should they have cast a black person who has to fake a South African accent or would a white South African being cast have sufficed?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine line to rectify, should they have cast a black person who has to fake a South African accent or would a white South African being cast have sufficed?
You know damn well the nationality of the actress (especially in this context) isn't the problem here... y'all fucking kill me

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Their excuse for this doesnt hold water either which way.
Either they had the character and still went with casting a white person after calling her agent.
Or they had a white person cast and decided to make the character look like an actual South African actress....and yes im still calling bullshit that its a coincidence she looks pretty much identical to Kandyse.

1040b6ca876c85e1c116a747141ff69d.jpg

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
You know damn well the nationality of the actress (especially in this context) isn't the problem here... y'all fucking kill me
I agree they should have cast a Black woman ( even better a black South African woman), just saying you can't please everyone (not directed at people here) and it's a fine line. Reminds me of the backlash when Memoirs of a Geisha came out and Japanese fans were annoyed at the abundance of Chinese cast members.

How many times have people complained about white people's accents in games.

Last edited: